Wednesday 22nd October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 22nd October 2014

Post by ohsocynical »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 5m5 minutes ago
My snap PMQs verdict - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 6bd4f7ece4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … - comfortable Miliband win
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

James O'Brien & the political editor at LBC are brilliantly making the point that Ed M, Andy B & Westminster Labour has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Wales NHS.

If only we had a national broadcaster & a media willing to report fact instead of lies.
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@rearofthestore

I haven't interrogated you lately - how are things going?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:James O'Brien & the political editor at LBC are brilliantly making the point that Ed M, Andy B & Westminster Labour has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Wales NHS.

If only we had a national broadcaster & a media willing to report fact instead of lies.

A political correspondent on BBC Wales News last night gave a very good report about the slurring of the Welsh NHS, ending with expressing what seemed like genuine concern about the future of it as it comes under stress from the media onslaught and the Daily Mail.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
I've thrown my toys out of the pram on occasion, particularly over Clacton and attitudes to the people in that constituency, so I hereby apologise for that, and next time I'll try to be a bit calmer.

And that, to quote Forrest Gump, is all I have to say about that.
Oh, great! Does that mean it's now open season for Clacton? Right . . . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

From June this year:

''A new report published today shows patient satisfaction with the quality of care they receive in hospital remains high across Wales.

The annual Fundamentals of Care audit – the fourth such exercise – asks patients to rate the care they received on hospital wards in terms of being treated with dignity and respect, the cleanliness of the ward and other measures.

The report is based on a snapshot-in-time audit of more than 3,000 patient records, a patient survey and a staff survey carried out in October and November last year.

The results show:

94% of patients were satisfied with the overall care they received;
97% always or usually felt they were treated with dignity and respect;
98% agreed the clinical area was kept clean, tidy and uncluttered;
96% agreed they were given help to maintain their independence;
93% agreed that when they asked for help they received it promptly.''

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/news/32863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Hi PF
Thanks for asking.
We are at my Son and Daughter in L's house in deepest rural Gloucestershire (one bus a week to Cheltenham on a Tuesday) for the next month or two. My wife has just had the metalwork in her knee removed (following the fracture she suffered in Slovenia in March 2013) at Trafford General Hospital (founding hospital of the NHS don't you know!) and is recovering well and already able to walk a good few miles. I have to have a hernia repair op in December as there is a risk of strangulation. Old age is not recommended but retirement is.
My wife's endrometrial and ovarian cancer appears to be in full remission, which is remarkable since in 2011 she was given the worst possible prognosis and we really have the wonderful Christie in Manchester to thank for that. Check-up in December for her everything crossed.
I do appreciate this site and, as for many, is my first port of call.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
I've thrown my toys out of the pram on occasion, particularly over Clacton and attitudes to the people in that constituency, so I hereby apologise for that, and next time I'll try to be a bit calmer.

And that, to quote Forrest Gump, is all I have to say about that.
Oh, great! Does that mean it's now open season for Clacton? Right . . . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rearofthestore wrote:Hi PF
Thanks for asking.
We are at my Son and Daughter in L's house in deepest rural Gloucestershire (one bus a week to Cheltenham on a Tuesday) for the next month or two. My wife has just had the metalwork in her knee removed (following the fracture she suffered in Slovenia in March 2013) at Trafford General Hospital (founding hospital of the NHS don't you know!) and is recovering well and already able to walk a good few miles. I have to have a hernia repair op in December as there is a risk of strangulation. Old age is not recommended but retirement is.
My wife's endrometrial and ovarian cancer appears to be in full remission, which is remarkable since in 2011 she was given the worst possible prognosis and we really have the wonderful Christie in Manchester to thank for that. Check-up in December for her everything crossed.
I do appreciate this site and, as for many, is my first port of call.
So pleased things seem to be looking up - fingers crossed they stay that way :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My day has turned out worse than 55Degree's.

Dyed some favourite trousers to restore the colour.
Dye left in the drum seal etc even after following Dylon's instructions.
So I followed their advice to put a cup of bleach in with detergent and do another empty wash.

Result, masses of foam in the washing machine, it wouldn't drain or spin, foam deluging out of the soap drawer and outflow drain pipe, wet mess everywhere.
Husband's had to pull all the appliances out and deal with it.
Have been banned from kitchen as he considers me a potential hazard, so am back seat organising from the other room.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:My day has turned out worse than 55Degree's.

So I followed their advice to put a cup of bleach in with detergent and do another empty wash.

Result, masses of foam in the washing machine, it wouldn't drain or spin, foam deluging out of the soap drawer and outflow drain pipe, wet mess everywhere.
Have been banned from kitchen as he considers me a potential hazard, so am back seat organising from the other room.
Good result after all then :lol:
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Oh FSM! It's very difficult not to laugh at this. I hope no real damage has occurred.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Have we heard from 55Degrees since the initial post containing, as it did, intimations of possible peril?

Edited to add -

Hope your situation is now under control. Still, you know what they say, "When in foam . . . . "
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 22 Oct, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

JackPranker wrote:

Oh FSM! It's very difficult not to laugh at this. I hope no real damage has occurred.

Luckily no, the electric plugs are well out of the way.
The washing machine seems to be operating properly now, husband has just tested it.
A rinse with white vinegar seems to have broken up the foam left in the machine.

Can see the funny side now so will laugh with you.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

PorFavor wrote:Oxtra doxtras? (David Cameron, PMQs)

Ed Miliband having to keep pointing out that DC is the one who's meant to be answering, and not asking, the questions.
The response to that always has to be; "Mr Speaker, the Prime Minister seems eager to be the one on this side of the house asking the questions. I'm sorry to tell him that he'll have to wait until next May for that opportunity."
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

BBC report, just on, had IDS (yes, he survived the dunking!) declaring how marvellous and on target Universal Credit is. Apparently, the Gov/DWP have published their internal report. Must be about time he got called in front of the W&P Committee again, eh?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Ruzyllo ‏@spygun 29m29 minutes ago
Someone carted out of the House of Commons, shouting "Answer the f****** question!!" It wasn't Speaker Bercow, was it?

JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

ohsocynical wrote:Richard Ruzyllo ‏@spygun 29m29 minutes ago
Someone carted out of the House of Commons, shouting "Answer the f****** question!!" It wasn't Speaker Bercow, was it?

:rofl:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

LadyCentauria wrote:BBC report, just on, had IDS (yes, he survived the dunking!) declaring how marvellous and on target Universal Credit is. Apparently, the Gov/DWP have published their internal report. Must be about time he got called in front of the W&P Committee again, eh?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/univ ... fare-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100,000 by May 2015
500,000 by May 2016

http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-bl ... -2018/2519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... ord-tebbit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speechless !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Robin Meltzer ‏@robinmeltzer 5h5 hours ago
Our new #Richmond Park campaign hub is now open on Sheen Lane, launched yesterday by @LibDems President @timfarron
Tim Farron and Robin Meltzer

More
Diane Rayburn ‏@dimayray 3h3 hours ago
@robinmeltzer @LibDems @timfarron. That'll be a waste of money!

Henry Riley
‏@HenryRiley1
@dimayray @robinmeltzer @LibDems @timfarron. in what way???

Tweet text
Reply to @HenryRiley1 @robinmeltzer @LibDems @timfarron
Tim Farron ‏@timfarron 19m19 minutes ago
@HenryRiley1 @dimayray @robinmeltzer @LibDems. It won't :)

Diane Rayburn ‏@dimayray 14m14 minutes ago
@HenryRiley1 @robinmeltzer @LibDems @timfarron. Tweet me in 2015 and ask that. I voted for you lot...Never again.

There's something very satisfying about engaging with the enemy :twisted:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Doesn't inspire confidence in Ms Woolf does it ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Copied in it's entirety from LDV is this comment by Matthew Huntbach in response to Paul Barker:
Matthew Huntbach 22nd Oct '14 - 10:39am
paul barker

Its way off topic but I often recommend Dan Hodges articles so I feel I ought to defend him. Reading his stuff over a long period I feel that while his head has left Labour his heart hasn’t
Well, I don’t know anything about him apart from this article that “jedibeeftrix” referred us to, and going by this article he’s Tory, Tory, Tory. Tory in the head, Tory in the heart. Someone who has that fundamentally Tory idea that money made form owning things is so much more noble than dirty money made by work, so shouldn’t be taxed unlike the money that the plebs have to work for. Someone who doesn’t care about how inheritance of property with its values pushed sky high by lack of the sort of property tax most other countries have is the main driving force in growing inequality in this country, rapidly becoming the most unequal country in western Europe. Someone who doesn’t care about how this is forcing people out of the chance of having a roof over their head as so long as HE lives his life is luxury in his stonkingly big house and can pass it untaxed to his kids so they can effortlessly stay at the top regardless of whether they gave any real merits apart form choosing a dad who is stonkingly rich owing to owning a stonkingly big house. Tory, Tory, Tory, these are all Tory ways of thinking.

He lives in Blackheath just a few miles away from where I live in Eltham. He thinks a house which is valued at two million pounds is nothing, doesn’t make him stonkingly rich, why anyone could own the same. Tory, Tory, Tory – in heart and mind – Tory. His house is valued at six times the value of the three bedroomed house I live in. But with his Tory mind and Tory heart and Tory way of viewing things he’s hardly even aware of the plebs all around him, no, he thinks his super-rich property is the norm because only stonkingly rich people like him really count. Tory, Tory, Tory, he is a Tory through and through.
:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

“There would be little cost to bring that under control if Neets and low level criminals were required as part of their contribution to the society which finances them, or which they have abused … to uproot this weed.
So he's not even bothering to hide the fact that he equates the unemployed with 'low level criminals' - doesn't mind his slip showing at all - after all it's a Toryan slip. Many of them think that but are too careful to say it ... he just blasts it out.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-22/the- ... -years-on/

Sad.
I often wonder what they'd have thought about people all over the world being able to see their photos, read about them and mourn their deaths so long after it happened.
Never forgotten takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 1h 1 hour ago
New post.
As UKIP surges Ipsos-MORI finds that support for wanting to stay in the EU is at a 23 year high http://bit.ly/1rqhfEY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
“There would be little cost to bring that under control if Neets and low level criminals were required as part of their contribution to the society which finances them, or which they have abused … to uproot this weed.
So he's not even bothering to hide the fact that he equates the unemployed with 'low level criminals' - doesn't mind his slip showing at all - after all it's a Toryan slip. Many of them think that but are too careful to say it ... he just blasts it out.
Yes - cat out of bag stuff. I notice that these landowners who are so in need of help aren't being encouraged to nip over the hedge to pull up the ragwort, which is causing them such distress, for themselves.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Otto English ‏@Otto_English Oct 9
In other words he shagged someone else. I actually feel very sorry for these people but it's simultaneously hilarious http://www.christiantoday.com/article/w ... /41475.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I wondered what he was referring to - followed the link - and well, I have to agree - it is hilarious.

As he goes on to say in his next tweet
‏@Otto_English
@MrsM40128155 oh no Mrs M. I have no time for hypocrisy. These people have also made huge personal fortunes out of preaching sexual morality
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

For more on the 'answer the f***ing question' incident - and a more personal summary of how PMQs verdict than Andrew Sparrow allows himself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
For more on the 'answer the f***ing question' incident - and a more personal summary of how PMQs verdict than Andrew Sparrow allows himself.
Thanks for the link. I'm not clear how any of the pointlessness of this latest PMQs was in any way Ed Miliband's fault, although the article suggests, or more than suggests, that the guilt be shared between Ed Miliband and the person we laughingly call Prime Minister.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I'm not clear how any of the pointlessness of this latest PMQs was in any way Ed Miliband's fault, although the article suggests, or more than suggests, that the guilt be shared between Ed Miliband and the person we laughingly call Prime Minister.
Indeed. It seemed a lazy "they're as bad as each other " summary. I'd be intrigued to know what Miliband was supposed to have done differently.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Facebook pays no UK corporation tax for a second year
Social media company reports a pre-tax loss of £11.6m for 2013, despite its US parent making a ne (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/o ... ration-tax
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Analysis Radio 4 Next Monday 20.30 J.Portes on "Welfare Reform"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mc1hv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Andy Burnham letter to Cameron after today's PMQs

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1006633 ... failure-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

30 shots heard within the Canadian Parliament, gunman shot dead but another thought to be on the roof.

Another shooting at a hotel nearby.

Suggestion is that all of the incidents are related to IS.

Worrying for those with loved ones in the area.

Edit to add - will this mean another Cobra meeting for our Dave ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:30 shots heard within the Canadian Parliament, gunman shot dead but another thought to be on the roof.

For sure, I bet he's rubbing his hands in glee. And rolling up his shirt sleeves.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Paul Mason points out that Universal Credit was supposed to save £38bn by 2022.

I might be wrong but so far all we've heard is about the actual costs of work done. Wasn't Labour's NHS IT scheme talked of in terms of both costs and money it didn't save?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:30 shots heard within the Canadian Parliament, gunman shot dead but another thought to be on the roof.

For sure, I bet he's rubbing his hands in glee. And rolling up his shirt sleeves.
Well, i'm told that you can't "lock and load" without first rolling up those sleeves!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Bloody hell, the bridge has spewed out a shed-load of trolls onto this single article today:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... s#show-all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

From Andrew's blog:
Nicky Morgan, has been ordered by MPs to write to the chief inspector of schools after she publicly contradicted him over the watchdog’s powers to inspect academy chains. As Sally Weale reports, Morgan came under fire over the government’s academies and free schools programme when she appeared before the House of Commons education select committee. She refused to back down from a direct clash with Sir Michael Wilshaw’s position, leaving baffled committee members to choose who to believe.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-chains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Fiona Woolf faces new questions from MPs over links with Lord Brittan
MPs ‘not totally satisfied’ with answers given by head of inquiry into abuse as details of new contact emerge

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... mentpage=2
How the hell can she not stand down now? Committee not satisfied with her answers - more details emerged since she went before them. Survivors definitely not satisfied - nor anyone else not in thrall to the Establishment. A legal challenge underway. And long delays already experienced - and more to come doubtless - because of her other commitments and all this stuff going on now....

Get someone else in NOW. Someone with no connections to the Establishment. Someone with experience of abuse cases.

If nothing else - being assured by Cameron that she has his full confidence should be enough to immediately disqualify her from the position.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PorFavor wrote:

Have we heard from 55Degrees since the initial post containing, as it did, intimations of peril?
Thanks for asking. I thought for a while, then tested it in my wife's school laptop. It works, so now I can use it to load the cd containing the instructions on how to make my av amp work. I'm getting sick of technology. When I was a kid, we could have hours of fun with little more than a few felling axes and a can of petrol.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That was the 10,000th post on here 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote:From Andrew's blog:
Nicky Morgan, has been ordered by MPs to write to the chief inspector of schools after she publicly contradicted him over the watchdog’s powers to inspect academy chains. As Sally Weale reports, Morgan came under fire over the government’s academies and free schools programme when she appeared before the House of Commons education select committee. She refused to back down from a direct clash with Sir Michael Wilshaw’s position, leaving baffled committee members to choose who to believe.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-chains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I posted on that this morning when I was watching - this is the second time that the Committee simply don't understand why Morgan is not happy about giving Ofsted the ability to do with chains as they do with LAs.

Three reasons

Lord Nash
Theodore Agnew
Paul Msrshall

Incidentally, id anyone notice that the Jim O'Neill who produced that cities report is the same Jim O'Neill who also sits on the DfE board? Small world...especially when you used to work for Goldman Sachs...

I never realised it was him that came up with the BRICS acronym.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory MP accuses Jon Snow of being a lefty who should think of retiring
Philip Davies asked to leave Channel 4 News offices by Krishnan Guru-Murthy after row with veteran presenter

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/o ... uru-murthy
Jeez, there must be something in the waterworks at CCHQ - the nastiness is just bursting out of them at every opportunity. It can't be contained anymore .... If this is the effect of the dreaded UKIP Surge (ghastly new affliction) then it may have an upside - they are showing themselves up more and more, and it's really not attractive.

But the sneaky guillotine knitter in me wishes this report had more detail - what did Snow say, if anything, to set Davies off? Who shouted first? Who got the last word in? .....
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PorFavor wrote:

Have we heard from 55Degrees since the initial post containing, as it did, intimations of peril?
Thanks for asking. I thought for a while, then tested it in my wife's school laptop. It works, so now I can use it to load the cd containing the instructions on how to make my av amp work. I'm getting sick of technology. When I was a kid, we could have hours of fun with little more than a few felling axes and a can of petrol.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Just got in, apologies if this has been linked already. Begs the question how many times has the WG got respond?

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthands ... l/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@yahyah

How did the trousers come out? Are they a disaster too - or is there a small mercy in this awful story?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
MPs ‘not totally satisfied’ with answers given by head of inquiry into abuse as details of new contact emerge

How the hell can she not stand down now? Committee not satisfied with her answers - more details emerged since she went before them. Survivors definitely not satisfied - nor anyone else not in thrall to the Establishment. A legal challenge underway. And long delays already experienced - and more to come doubtless - because of her other commitments and all this stuff going on now....

Get someone else in NOW. Someone with no connections to the Establishment. Someone with experience of abuse cases.

If nothing else - being assured by Cameron that she has his full confidence should be enough to immediately disqualify her from the position.
I said before, funny how Cameron wanted a no nonsense American to sort out the blacks in London, but doesn't want one to look into allegations against the establishment.

The Welsh Government has to threaten its own inquiry into North Wales.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I said before, funny how Cameron wanted a no nonsense American to sort out the blacks in London, but doesn't want one to look into allegations against the establishment.

The Welsh Government has to threaten its own inquiry into North Wales.
The Establishment would be able to run rings around a no nonsense American IMO. It would be a Sir Humphrey field day. They need someone who knows about the Establishment and how it operates .... but very definitely isn't part of it.