Thursday 23rd October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 23rd October 2014

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

seeingclearly wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Did anyone ever seriously think that this wouldn't happen? The readers' experience is the last and least serious thing the Guardioan takes into account. This ridiculous Membership deal - sign up now for benefits the year after next that you'll have to live in London to exercise - is a pathetic attempt to disguise this.

Edited to put the other 't' in 'pathetic'.
The Guardian's future survival does not depend on UK readers, they are increasingly reliant on the new overseas markets in North America and Oceania; and there they are looking at an affluent, tech savvy & news hungry audience who will (mainly) be using smart phones and tablets - they are the ones who this new layout is being developed for, not us poor relations in the UK who have been supporting the paper for decades. My personal opinion is that also explains the Guardian's drift to the right, to make it more in tune with American sensibilities.
I'm tech savvy, news hungry and use a tablet.

I loathe the Beta, because that's exactly what it seems to be, a partly thought out incomplete implementation that rarely works without me wanting to throw my expensive bit of kit up a wall. I complained a couple of days ago in their feedback form. Bad design and implementation will always be just that, and no one here hasn't felt that before. ;)
Beta is shit on an iphone.

It is shit on a tablet.

It is shit on a PC.

Mobile websites are fundamentally shit, and beta looks like a mobile website.

That is why all decent websites let you turn off the mobile version.

Basically Beta is shit on all platforms.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: Actually Anatoly there are a lot of people here in Watford that intensely dislike Dorothy but, at the last Mayoral election, there wasn't really a credible alternative. The Labour candidate for Mayor is a decent chap but not necessarily the sharpest knife in the box. We [Greens] didn't stand a candidate. Tory candidate had no chance, likewise UKIP. The Labour party locally is run by a guy who is totally paranoid and bloody useless when it comes to election campaigns. Or anything other than dirty tricks which he doesn't hide quite so well as the Lib dems hide theirs.

The lib dems here have a very lean mean election machine. Dorothy is a master at spin, glad handing, and tactics. They get involved with the local residents associations and any initiatives by local people. They are all over any individual trying to do anything in the community like a rash and invite them to stand as a lib dem councillor.

There is quite a lot of outrage that Dorothy would not admit before the mayoral campaign that she was going to stand for selection as the MP and further outrage that she is suggesting she could hold both positions! Problem is, again the Labour candidate isn't much good. Rich Harrington only has a small majority and if Matt Turmaine [Labour] doesn't up his profile, she may well get in. :fire:
Commiserations Tizme. I wouldn't want to have that invidious sounding choice as a voter.
As I mentioned the other day, for local party reasons, unless there is a major change of circumstances, we won't be standing a candidate at the G/E. I really do wish Matt would do something to inspire confidence in him but he's a walking suit who just wants to be an MP. No real concern about anyone or anything other than getting elected as far as I can see. I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dorothy knowing her as I do and it's not in my DNA to vote Tory. Maybe the Labour party nationally will do something to give me hope...............
If you don't think he's up to it and no one else will do, don't vote. It might teach the local party a valuable lesson if he fails.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: The Guardian's future survival does not depend on UK readers, they are increasingly reliant on the new overseas markets in North America and Oceania; and there they are looking at an affluent, tech savvy & news hungry audience who will (mainly) be using smart phones and tablets - they are the ones who this new layout is being developed for, not us poor relations in the UK who have been supporting the paper for decades. My personal opinion is that also explains the Guardian's drift to the right, to make it more in tune with American sensibilities.

I loathe the Beta, because that's exactly what it seems to be, a partly thought out incomplete implementation that rarely works without me wanting to throw my expensive bit of kit up a wall. I complained a couple of days ago in their feedback form. Bad design and implementation will always be just that, and no one here hasn't felt that before. ;)

It is shit on a tablet.

It is shit on a PC.

Sadly true.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: The Guardian's future survival does not depend on UK readers, they are increasingly reliant on the new overseas markets in North America and Oceania; and there they are looking at an affluent, tech savvy & news hungry audience who will (mainly) be using smart phones and tablets - they are the ones who this new layout is being developed for, not us poor relations in the UK who have been supporting the paper for decades. My personal opinion is that also explains the Guardian's drift to the right, to make it more in tune with American sensibilities.

It is shit on a tablet.

It is shit on a PC.

So you don't like it? :? :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Commiserations Tizme. I wouldn't want to have that invidious sounding choice as a voter.
As I mentioned the other day, for local party reasons, unless there is a major change of circumstances, we won't be standing a candidate at the G/E. I really do wish Matt would do something to inspire confidence in him but he's a walking suit who just wants to be an MP. No real concern about anyone or anything other than getting elected as far as I can see. I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dorothy knowing her as I do and it's not in my DNA to vote Tory. Maybe the Labour party nationally will do something to give me hope...............
If you don't think he's up to it and no one else will do, don't vote. It might teach the local party a valuable lesson if he fails.
Completely wrong on that one.

Leave the ballot paper blank - make no mark in the box that surrounds any of the candidates.

Write the following at the top in capitals outside any voting area.

Candidate Name - is fucking useless.

Post paper in box.

That is a spoilt ballot and the candidate will have to inspect it at the end of the night.

Or the UKIP variation.

Clearly put an X for your chosen candidate.

Draw an arrow from the UKIP candidate name to the top of the ballot paper.

Outside the voting area write.

"Waste of oxygen" or other comment at the end of the arrow.

The candidate has to read that as a spoilt ballot, but since your voting intention is clear it will count towards your chosen candidates vote.
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ohsocynical wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: I'm tech savvy, news hungry and use a tablet.

It is shit on a tablet.

It is shit on a PC.

So you don't like it? :? :lol:
But it is the future. Because the Guardian have paid for it to be the future. And because those who are not young and bright and sparky and tech-obsessed are the past. And the past is the one place no-one is to be allowed to live anymore. At the Guardian.

Unless you're a Lib Dem engaged in re-writing it.
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h 2 hours ago
The reported turnout of 4000 in the Rochester Tory primary is a disaster for the party given the efforts put into it

Could the flop of the Tory primary in Rochester be the spur for LAB to take the by election seriously? They held seat until 2010

ike Smithson retweeted
Mark Wallace @wallaceme · 2h 2 hours ago
I understand the #RochesterAndStrood open primary turnout figure being reported is incorrect - real number around 6,000 apparently.

@wallaceme Even at the 6000 level the primary has been a flop.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Twitter's broken..

Something is technically wrong.
Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The reported turnout of 4000 in the Rochester Tory primary is a disaster for the party given the efforts put into it

Could the flop of the Tory primary in Rochester be the spur for LAB to take the by election seriously? They held seat until 2010

ike Smithson retweeted
I understand the #RochesterAndStrood open primary turnout figure being reported is incorrect - real number around 6,000 apparently.

That is hysterical, they spent a fortune and they got a response from less than their base vote.

Oh dear.

Labour are probably best not taking this seriously, but they will have a real crack at it in the GE.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Twitter's broken..

Something is technically wrong.
Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.
...and it's mended
Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk · 40s40 seconds ago
Ms Woolf's memory lapse and why I fear an Establishment cover-up over the paedophile scandal http://dailym.ai/1sR5nj0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @MailOnline
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

ike Smithson retweeted

Given that Reckless got 23,604 last time and there's something like 74k constituents, I can only agree with Smithson - about 8% thought it worth doing - hardly a vote in favour of doing primaries!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Somewhat optimistic number of seats for Ukip's public meeting in Sheffield to hear deputy leader Paul Nuttall speak

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol!:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 30m 30 minutes ago

Putting CON Rochester primary turnout in context
Totnes 2009: 16,497
Gosport 2009: 12,659
Rochester 2014: 5,588
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Evening all. Sorry I've been largely absent this week - the new job's a bear pit.

I'm currently chilling out with a beer and catching up on your fine posts. Even if I can't actively participate at all times, as I've been used to, trust me that I'm forever on the lurk and all of you are both on my mind and in my heart (now where's that being sick emoticon...?).

I'll post something of worth when I get the chance.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Care Act 2014: Government tightens national minimum threshold plans
Department of Health says threshold based on inability to meet 'two or more outcomes' best reflects current practice

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2014/10/ ... -guidance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:I think I'm becoming less tolerant with age. After the election, I discovered that an old friend from Uni was a LibDem councillor. We had a long argument about the NHS and sort of agreed to differ but although we occasionally converse, I can't forgive him for what his national party has done in government. Tonight it became clear this wasn't a one off. I've just unfriended someone on Facebook for sharing some toss from the Conservative Party about 'costing' Labour's NHS plans, and as far as I'm concerned, we're no longer friends. He doesn't even live in the UK, for heaven's sake!

I can be friends with people who hold different views to me, but only so far. It's funny, most of my friends used to be Tories, but that was largely a function of where I was from. These days I can only maintain friendships with right wingers if politics is off the table, and even then they have to be pretty moderate.
Mrs TE spends a chunk of her time unfriending right wing tossers on Facebook.

I solve the problem by ignoring social media. I helped build parts of the UK net, doesn't mean I have to use it.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:I think I'm becoming less tolerant with age. After the election, I discovered that an old friend from Uni was a LibDem councillor. We had a long argument about the NHS and sort of agreed to differ but although we occasionally converse, I can't forgive him for what his national party has done in government. Tonight it became clear this wasn't a one off. I've just unfriended someone on Facebook for sharing some toss from the Conservative Party about 'costing' Labour's NHS plans, and as far as I'm concerned, we're no longer friends. He doesn't even live in the UK, for heaven's sake!

I can be friends with people who hold different views to me, but only so far. It's funny, most of my friends used to be Tories, but that was largely a function of where I was from. These days I can only maintain friendships with right wingers if politics is off the table, and even then they have to be pretty moderate.
Someone who described themselves as a libertarian unfriended me when I started making snarky comments on the Rally Against Debt FB page...I concluded that it's easy to be a libertarian when your husband works in the City and they have a flat there too.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Commiserations Tizme. I wouldn't want to have that invidious sounding choice as a voter.
You're probably right Oh so. Except I wouldn't 'not vote' I would spoil my ballot paper. I don't think I've ever had to do that at a G/E before but I have done it at Council elections. I may get in touch with Matt and see if he can give me any reason to vote for him. He knows who I am and that I'm a Green but all the more reason for him to make the effort!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: As I mentioned the other day, for local party reasons, unless there is a major change of circumstances, we won't be standing a candidate at the G/E. I really do wish Matt would do something to inspire confidence in him but he's a walking suit who just wants to be an MP. No real concern about anyone or anything other than getting elected as far as I can see. I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dorothy knowing her as I do and it's not in my DNA to vote Tory. Maybe the Labour party nationally will do something to give me hope...............

Leave the ballot paper blank - make no mark in the box that surrounds any of the candidates.

Post paper in box.

That is a spoilt ballot and the candidate will have to inspect it at the end of the night.

Or the UKIP variation.

The candidate has to read that as a spoilt ballot, but since your voting intention is clear it will count towards your chosen candidates vote.
Do either the candidates or the election agents have to read it though? We don't have to at Council elections though of course we can ask to. Oh and having someone at the count who is sharp sighted and quick at mental arithmetic is helpful. At last May's council elections, my election agent spotted a number of errors. All of them votes that hadn't been attributed to me that should have been - natch.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Young People Need to Vote If They Want to Change the UK
"I’ve met a man. He’s 91. His name’s Harry and I love him. We found each other online. I was drawn to his northern charm, passion for social justice and fiercely intelligent Guardian columns; he, like you, could not resist the allure of my hot-mess-oh-what-the-fuck-am-I-gonna-write-about-I’m-on-a-comedown VICE scribbles"

Long read, but ends with :
"I can’t help looking at Harry and wondering what a better world we might live in if there were more people like him in it – and less like Michael Gove, Lord Freud and co. Misty eyed, I decide there and then that I’m going to vote at the next election. And I’m going to knock on doors with him, too. It’ll be like knock-a-door-run, but instead of legging it and collapsing in a fit of giggles because we pissed off the dickhead at number 12, we’ll be sticking around and encouraging people to get off their arses and exercise their rights. I used to sell dodgy timeshare in a call centre, so I reckon I can persuade a few folks to get down to their local polling station. It might not be as fun as screaming "Revolution!" and channelling Che Guevara, but it may prove more useful.

“You think the world is cruel now,” says Harry, “but unless you do something, it will get much worse.”

91 and getting out and about convincing the young to vote - wow.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/vote-or- ... s-lees-242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Care Act 2014: Government tightens national minimum threshold plans
Department of Health says threshold based on inability to meet 'two or more outcomes' best reflects current practice

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2014/10/ ... -guidance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for link,that's a false economy of the most epic of scales and they know it.The Tories had an £8,000 bribe to chuck your relative into a home the last election (of course it was less clumsily phrased)

Correction,I think it was one of their proposals during the three main parties talks about the issue just prior to the election before they stropped off .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Percentage figures for the Rochester primary ballot have been released - but not actual vote numbers.

This is leading to rumours there were a huge number of spoiled/invalid papers, with only about 4k actually counting. Oh dear......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted
philip mcginley @philipmcginley · Oct 21
Get your Northern Soul name using your Gran's name + town you were born + (& the) + first car plural.
MOLLY HAYDOCK & the BRAVAS
That sounds fun. I'm going first.

MINNIE WILLESDEN & the RAVS
Vera Whitechapel & the Tiger Cubs (never learnt to drive a car!)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted
philip mcginley @philipmcginley · Oct 21
Get your Northern Soul name using your Gran's name + town you were born + (& the) + first car plural.
MOLLY HAYDOCK & the BRAVAS
That sounds fun. I'm going first.

May Nantwich and the 504's, or, if I go for the bike, it's May Nantwich and C10's (BSA, you understand...).

Crikey I'm an old fooker.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jeez...that UKIP woman is tiresome - probably the reason they have her on.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Jeez...that UKIP woman is tiresome - probably the reason they have her on.

NHS...managers...non-jobs...zzzzzzz

Oh, and abolish the CQC...so next time a hospital scandal comes up it'll be "So why hadn't the hospital been checked out?"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:For fellow guillotine knitters ....
Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I do wonder about the efficacy of a knitted guillotine.
What if it is knitted from steel wool?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Has just seen who the advisers were who were on the panel for the revision of the history curriculum...I'll stick it up in the morning...but lets just says there's a few names that made me who WTF? in more ways than one...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tizme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: If you don't think he's up to it and no one else will do, don't vote. It might teach the local party a valuable lesson if he fails.

Post paper in box.

Or the UKIP variation.

Do either the candidates or the election agents have to read it though? We don't have to at Council elections though of course we can ask to. Oh and having someone at the count who is sharp sighted and quick at mental arithmetic is helpful. At last May's council elections, my election agent spotted a number of errors. All of them votes that hadn't been attributed to me that should have been - natch.
Questionable ones will be presented at the end of the count to all parties and a decision made. So yep somebody will probably see it.
Release the Guardvarks.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That sounds fun. I'm going first.

May Nantwich and the 504's, or, if I go for the bike, it's May Nantwich and C10's (BSA, you understand...).

Crikey I'm an old fooker.
Mary Ellen Plymouth and the Triumphs

I know it's two names, but she stopped using Mary when she named my mum Mary as well. And Mary Ellen has a much cooler soul vibe about it. The car was her's as well. She didn't drive, but when Grandad fell ill he kept it and told her to give it to me on my 17th birthday. A Triumph 2000 mkII that he bought new - what a car for a young lad. It's amazing how popular you can be as a 17 year old with a big old car to cart people around in, especially in the wide open spaces of Devon.

Bless Gran, but when she gave me keys she very loudly told me and everyone in earshot that she'd popped a nice tartan blanket on the parcel shelf "for when you're courting". That one made it into her eulogy last year.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

:lol:
The UK has been told it must pay an extra £1.7bn (2.1bn euros) towards the European Union's budget because of the country's relative economic health.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29751124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Martin Rowson cartoon on the NHS and Tesco: Among the Ruins...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... hs-cartoon