Thursday 23rd October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 23rd October 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 2 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 22nd Oct -

Con 31%, (-1)
Lab 33%, (no change)
LD 7%, (-1)
UKIP 17%; (+1)

APP -25 (-2)
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Re: Thursday 23rd October 2014

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...

It's not going to go away...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pi ... se-4489164

...poll at a a still very healthy 95% for Woolf to resign/stand down.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Go **** yourself Jeremy Hunt. You lying ****! Apols for such a well thought out and erudite comment. But the sight of the snivelling gobshite, yes another one, this early in the morning is too much.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Go **** yourself Jeremy Hunt. You lying ****! Apols for such a well thought out and erudite comment. But the sight of the snivelling gobshite, yes another one, this early in the morning is too much.
That's why I come here - the high standard of 'well thought out and erudite' comment :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. Reposting A Hindles post from late last night because it's truly shocking (I know we all know it's bad, but this shows you just how bad for so many people). It also lays bare the lie that the disability welfare reforms put right the supposedly terrible previous situation where people could claim disability benefits without even being seen (a la Cameron).

The poor person here - diagnosed with Parkinsons - never saw a human being as part of his assessment. He simply got told by letter he was in the work related group.... :fire:
HindleA wrote:
Over a third of people with degenerative conditions have been placed in the ESA(WRAG) group subject to sanctions,possible summary removal of income due to timelimit,unlimited workfare
70% of people with degenerative conditions have been reassessed at least twice over the last five years

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 11910.html
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A bit more on that latest Rochester poll.

Mike Smithson retweeted
Rob Ford (Britain) @robfordmancs · 10h 10 hours ago
Impressive result for #UKIP in latest Rochester poll widening lead to 13 pts. However, almost entire lead does depend on 2010 non-voters 1/2

Mike Smithson retweeted
2/2 Turning out prev non-voters will be v tough in late Nov by-election. Without them ballot is v tight and Reckless relies of Lab votes

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
Generally the oldies are the key group for UKIP yet in the ComRes Rochester poll they give Reckless a lead of just 1% http://bit.ly/1tdM5XZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another shocker. Well worth a read.
Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 2m 2 minutes ago
Aubrey has been in the UK since 1973, but when he lost his passport he suddenly turned into an illegal immigrant http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 3m 3 minutes ago
Lasith arrived in UK 50 yrs ago. When his passport expired, he was sacked & told to leave the country in 28 days http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Henry had been here 47 years when he was suddenly told he had no right to be in the UK http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

an Dunt @IanDunt · 1m 1 minute ago
The Home Officer needs to come clean about what documents it holds and what its archive and destruction policy is http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Another shocker. Well worth a read.
Aubrey has been in the UK since 1973, but when he lost his passport he suddenly turned into an illegal immigrant http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 3m 3 minutes ago
Lasith arrived in UK 50 yrs ago. When his passport expired, he was sacked & told to leave the country in 28 days http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Henry had been here 47 years when he was suddenly told he had no right to be in the UK http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

an Dunt @IanDunt · 1m 1 minute ago
The Home Officer needs to come clean about what documents it holds and what its archive and destruction policy is http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... adeillegal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
"When Theresa May talks about creating a hostile environment for "those who have no right to be in the UK", she won't have been thinking ...... "

Damn straight, thinking is not her strong suit. A shocker indeed, exactly as you say; welcome to Dacre's Britain, where the weak & witless Government of the day allows itself to be dictated policy by a xenophobic newspaper editor, with no thought for the consequences or the human misery caused. Dangerous times.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:A bit more on that latest Rochester poll.

Mike Smithson retweeted
Impressive result for #UKIP in latest Rochester poll widening lead to 13 pts. However, almost entire lead does depend on 2010 non-voters 1/2

Mike Smithson retweeted
2/2 Turning out prev non-voters will be v tough in late Nov by-election. Without them ballot is v tight and Reckless relies of Lab votes

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
Generally the oldies are the key group for UKIP yet in the ComRes Rochester poll they give Reckless a lead of just 1% http://bit.ly/1tdM5XZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't forget this is after the Tories spending ridiculous amounts of money rubbishing Reckless and UKIP - using a supposed "loophole" that they haven't actually selected their candidate yet so it isn't "election" spending (they might well be wrong about that, though)

When they have to conform to a level playing field there, they're surely sunk?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

NHS Five Year Plan Urgent Question. Live BBC Parliament now.

And The Queen has just signed the women bishops into law!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/ ... 5989863424

Jeremy *spit* Hunt coming out and saying that the public asking questions about the NHS on the Today programme is "hijacking" and "scaremongering". It's not scaremongering if it's bloody scary, you feckless Hunt.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

JackPranker wrote:https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/ ... 5989863424

Jeremy *spit* Hunt coming out and saying that the public asking questions about the NHS on the Today programme is "hijacking" and "scaremongering". It's not scaremongering if it's bloody scary, you feckless Hunt.
I thought the best reply was simple;'Fuck off Mrs Murdoch'.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

QT tonight
from Liverpool. On the panel are Scotland's outgoing first minister Alex Salmond MSP, Labour's shadow energy secretary Caroline Flint MP, Conservative minister for disabled people Mark Harper MP, UKIP's Louise Bours MEP and the leader of the Unite trade union Len McCluskey.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:QT tonight
from Liverpool. On the panel are Scotland's outgoing first minister Alex Salmond MSP, Labour's shadow energy secretary Caroline Flint MP, Conservative minister for disabled people Mark Harper MP, UKIP's Louise Bours MEP and the leader of the Unite trade union Len McCluskey.
Blimey that's an interesting mix.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29736085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Retails sales fall "unexpectedly"

It's blamed on the warm Autumn of course…….
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

from Liverpool. On the panel are [. . . . .] and the leader of the Unite trade union Len McCluskey.
Len who? Not a name I've ever heard anyone mention before.

(I hope Len McCluskey talks sense tonight. He can be very good when he doesn't go off on one of his more, um, florid tangents.)

Good morning, everyone.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

…. which is odd because it's petrol and food that have fallen most.

Obviously my lack of a degree in economics means I can't see why a warm Autumn means you spend less on food and petrol.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

RobertSnozers wrote:Nice Farage mid-sentence screen capture

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BE_EE_AA_UTIFUL! :lol!:
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Oh well,no doubt we will all be urged to make this coming Christmas 'the best one ever',i.e buy loads of shiny tat that we don't need/want/afford.
Followed buy enough food to feed an army because the supermarkets will be shut for two days.
Should improve the figures.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:…. which is odd because it's petrol and food that have fallen most.

Obviously my lack of a degree in economics means I can't see why a warm Autumn means you spend less on food and petrol.
The latter is probably that if you get a cold day, more people take the car to work/school run etc. Food, I'm less sure about.
I eat more when I'm cold.Or maybe I should say 'even more'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
...Of people who will all spend the evening attacking Labour (with the possible, though not certain, exception of Caroline Flint)

Ha!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The BBC is reporting that the DfE has shelved plans for a code of practice for some religious schools which operate outside of mainstream education…
http://schoolsimprovement.net/code-of-p ... ls-shelved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Afternoon all :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I believe we must have had this before but here it is again anyway just in case you're not already depressed enough.
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement

More than a third of people with degenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis are having their benefits slashed because the Department for Work and Pensions deems they will recover enough to look for work.

Thousands of those with diseases that only worsen with time - and who have become too ill to work - are being denied full Employment Support Allowance. Instead they are assessed as suitable for work-related activity which is designed for people likely to recover to the point where they can seek employment (Independent)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 11910.html

Edited to add -

The front page headline actually reads "Iain Duncan Smith says . . . . " but that wasn't copy-and-paste-able.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
...Of people who will all spend the evening attacking Labour (with the possible, though not certain, exception of Caroline Flint)
As already stated, depends on which side of the bed McCluskey got out of today :)

Flint can also be good on form, tbf.

LibDems notable by their absence, I see......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

UKIP already outnumber all the minor parties in terms of QT appearances. This episode won't correct the balance will it.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:LibDems notable by their absence, I see......
And have been since 2010.

It will be a Labour bash tonight. Salmond has a major axe to grind after Labour pretty much rejected any further devolution of revenue gathering in Scotland during the Smith Commission discussions and with the SNP looking to make hay in May. Could be grim up north.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

frightful_oik wrote:UKIP already outnumber all the minor parties in terms of QT appearances. This episode won't correct the balance will it.

I'm still waiting for a response from the BBC about that.
Asked them to explain why UKIP's been given so much exposure on QT.
PK's been trying as well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Well I hope someone in the audience is going to put a question about the scandalous numbers of people with degenerative conditions being told to look for work - as reported above.

Harper didn't have the courtesy to give an interview to You & Yours Radio 4 - who did a good piece on it this morning. So he needs to be publicly challenged.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Here's a big reason why food and petrol sales are down.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/2 ... QM20141022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Well I hope someone in the audience is going to put a question about the scandalous numbers of people with degenerative conditions being told to look for work - as reported above.

Harper didn't have the courtesy to give an interview to You & Yours Radio 4 - who did a good piece on it this morning. So he needs to be publicly challenged.

You know what's happened don't you...They see someone like Billy Connelly, who's been diagnosed with Parkinson's doing TV shows and stage appearances and think if he can do it so can everyone else.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JackPranker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:LibDems notable by their absence, I see......
And have been since 2010.

It will be a Labour bash tonight. Salmond has a major axe to grind after Labour pretty much rejected any further devolution of revenue gathering in Scotland during the Smith Commission discussions and with the SNP looking to make hay in May. Could be grim up north.
Last time they were in Liverpool I went along. Flint was on that time too and gave a decent account of herself. Given the location there were a lot of young Conservative supporters.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tesco’s profits black hole bigger than expected and runs back several years
Supermarket, which is unable to provide any guidance on full-year profits, also said its under-fire chairman Sir Richard Broadbent is to resign

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ole-bigger
My heart does not bleed for Tesco - quite the opposite. Glad its days of what seemed like total domination - and rampant development of new stores everywhere they could, and everywhere they couldn't (eventually) - are over.

But mostly I'd like to think that it's not just household economics that has seen people go elsewhere - but also dislike of its practices - most notably workfare.

The market analyst on Radio 4 said it's mostly down to Tesco no longer having any kind of proper targeted branding - it doesn't stand for value or quality apparently - Aldi & co are the value, Waitrose & M&S are the quality. It certainly doesn't stand for ethics.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Afternoon

DWP Select Committee to hold inquiry into the benefit regime.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... igated-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh Gawd - it looks as though Beta is going to be applied across the entire Guardian offer eventually. I might be forced to actually subscribe to another paper - if I could find one worth paying for....
AndrewSparrow @AndrewSparrow · 5h 5 hours ago
@Phyllida1234 I'm afraid we're stuck with it, but they know about the problems + reaction, and are working to make it better

AndrewSparrow @AndrewSparrow · 5h 5 hours ago
@Phyllida1234 It is being rolled out gradually, starting with live blogs
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Mason retweeted
philip mcginley @philipmcginley · Oct 21
Get your Northern Soul name using your Gran's name + town you were born + (& the) + first car plural.
MOLLY HAYDOCK & the BRAVAS
That sounds fun. I'm going first.

MINNIE WILLESDEN & the RAVS
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wirral TUC launch campaign against Esther McVey.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/wir ... vY.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Wirral TUC launch campaign against Esther McVey.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/wir ... vY.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The T shirts sound good - as long as they don't have a picture of her on them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Exports falling

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted
Get your Northern Soul name using your Gran's name + town you were born + (& the) + first car plural.

Hmmm. redacted

Never had a car,so using dad's first.

Ruth Aylesbury and the Datsuns
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair Campbell retweeted
Allie Renison @AllieRenison · 23h 23 hours ago
This is a fabulous interview with @ChukaUmunna done by @campbellclaret. More like these please http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/ar ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Not sure I'd call it fabulous - but it is very interesting. Alistair Campbell tells CU he doesn't want any politician answers - which CU doesn't quite manage (you won't be surprised by that) but Campbell's questioning style and choice is fast and furious and no flies on it ...

Made me imagine Alistair Campbell in the interviewers chair on Newsnight ... now that would have been a treat.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted

With apologies for being a miserable git, you should never do these - you are being asked to publically post information that can be used by other people to answer security questions to reset your email or give you access to accounts. Don't do them.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted

Hmmm. Redacted
:lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A million over 50s 'forced out of their jobs'
New report finds that up to 1.5 million people aged 50-69 left work 'involuntarily'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -jobs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could it be because they'll have all been on pre-austerity wages? Get rid of them and then take on someone younger for less pay?

And how does this equate with us all having to work for longer?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That sounds fun. I'm going first.

Hmmm. Redacted

:lol: The Datsuns is the funniest bit about it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

adam wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted

With apologies for being a miserable git, you should never do these - you are being asked to publically post information that can be used by other people to answer security questions to reset your email or give you access to accounts. Don't do them.
I haven't shared anything that could be used in that way - and wouldn't. Might apply to others - so caution needed.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

HindleA wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That sounds fun. I'm going first.

Hmmm. redacted

Minnie London and the Triumphs.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Margaret Glasgow and the 2002s
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason retweeted

Hmmm. Redacted
Dot Middlesbrough & The Zodiacs
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lizzie Reading and the Minors.