Friday 24th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Friday 24th October 2014

Post by Rebecca »

refitman wrote:Picked up the keys to my new (first) house. 'Spose I'd better start packing.
I hope you will be very happy there refitman.Whereabouts is it,if you don't mind me asking?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:Picked up the keys to my new (first) house. 'Spose I'd better start packing.
Dead pleased for you. :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Rebecca wrote:
I hope you will be very happy there refitman.Whereabouts is it,if you don't mind me asking?
Still in Wombwell (S. Yorks), just the other side of the main road to where I am now.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Dave Jones ‏@WelshGasDoc 1h1 hour ago
The Daily Mail have retracted their malicious and scurrilous article about the Welsh NHS from Monday (cc. @AMCarwyn)
They did what they intended, got their message into the general populace. What was Monday's again?
Last edited by StephenDolan on Fri 24 Oct, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A useful piece on the EU budget thing

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0f8df0c2-5b64 ... z3H49zTYVZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

The Daily Mail have retracted their malicious and scurrilous article about the Welsh NHS from Monday (cc. @AMCarwyn)
Which article is that?

Because searching on "Welsh NHS" still gives a litany of contentious attacks on the service.

I counted 22 in the last 9 days!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

refitman wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Still in Wombwell (S. Yorks), just the other side of the main road to where I am now.

Happen to pass through Wombwell on the train to Leeds which we do quite regularly.At least it's not too far for you when we bought our house we were both living /working two hundred miles away(it was a live-in job)I wish you the very best and get your packing done!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good afternoon.

The government seems rather lacking with regard to its knowledge of the workings of the EU. Ok, they might not have known the amount of the "bill" - but to be behaving with amazement at the fact that they they got one? Was this the same for (eg) the Dutch and Greek governments?

Anyway, George Osborne should be delighted that we, at least now, are like Greece. Dream come true for him, surely? I wonder why he kept it such a secret for the past few days.

@refitmen
I hope you're very happy in your new home.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There is a poster in the other place who thinks Emily Benn has been "parachuted" into a safe Labour seat - first time I have ever seen Croydon S thus described :lol:

Can someone put them right, please? I can't be bothered :)

Weekly review now up there, btw ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is a poster in the other place who thinks Emily Benn has been "parachuted" into a safe Labour seat - first time I have ever seen Croydon S thus described :lol:

Done.

Yes, it's been held by Richard Ottaway since 1992...safe seat for the Tories then.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is a poster in the other place who thinks Emily Benn has been "parachuted" into a safe Labour seat - first time I have ever seen Croydon S thus described :lol:

Eight local council by-elections yesterday:

Argyll and Bute - the first electoral contest in Scotland since last month's referendum saw the SNP make a gain (its first in a by-election since late 2011) from Independents. They took 40% of first preference votes, backing up their recent good poll showings as this was well up on both 2012 and another by-election here earlier this year (the Indy winner then very sadly died just weeks later) though interestingly it is little changed on yet another by-election here in 2011 when the Nats were also doing well. Also notable is that the Labour and Tory shares were only slightly down on the July contest here - most of the SNP advance came at the expense of Independents, who usually dominate this division (as with much of the council) but were well down this time with less than a quarter of the vote.

Shepway DC - Tory hold, though their share was well down (by almnost 20%) in this normally safe ward as UKIP pressed them hard coming second with over 27%, after winning a seat in the neighbouring area a few weeks ago. LibDems did decently too, increasing their share modestly on 2011 - this used to be a "flagship" council for them in the good old days. Greens with less than 6% here, but still beating Labour who crashed from second (albeit distantly) last time - non-local candidate, apparently.

Mid Sussex DC - Tory hold, with a small increase in their share having already taken over half the vote in 2011; they finished well ahead of UKIP who still polled decently with over 21% (well up on their last placed finish three years ago) LibDems ran the Tories close here in both 2003 and 2007 (when the two Tories elected previously ran as Independents in a close three way contest) but now slumped to a poor third, not far ahead of Labour who fielded their first candidate here this century. Green no show despite their polling decently in 3rd last time round.

Chichester DC - Tory hold in a straight fight with UKIP with over 70%, though even this was well down on the 90% plus they had in 2011 against a token Labour candidate (and they had been returned unopposed in a previous by-election in 2010) This is true Tory heartland territory as they also easily beat the LibDems in 2007 and 2003 (though UKIP at least improved on their previous showing here 11 years ago) Dave must wish that more of the country was like this :)

Gloucestershire CC/Forest of Dean DC - a "double header" saw contrasting results; the county seat saw a Tory gain from Independent with a healthy increase in their share, whilst the Indies were beaten into third place with UKIP who scored over 20% again - Labour, LibDems and Greens (in that order) all holding their shares from last year. The district seat, though, saw an Independent hold with some comfort in a ward that has seen a 1Indy/1Tory split (in that order) in every election since 2003. UKIP third with a relatively modest 12%, but just edging ahead of Labour (little change since 2011) whilst the Greens crashed from 3rd to 5th (non-local candidate again) but still ahead of the LibDems who got just 3%.

Durham - two seperate contests here; the first was a Labour hold despite a small swing to the second placed Tories (who topped the poll when this ward split 1Tory/1Lab in 2008, before losing their seat last year) UKIP will be disappointed to have dropped back since 2013 (when they beat one of the Tory candidates) whilst Independents finished a poor fourth after polling well here in 2008, whilst Greens were last with 5%. The other result was a Labour gain from "Derwentside Independents" by just a single vote after the division had been divided between them in 2013 (and DI had easily won both seats in 2008) - given that generic Independents also stood and did quite well last time, this is maybe a better Labour result than it looks. Tories with less than 6%, down on their last outing here in 2008, but still narrowly beating the Greens.

Five contests next week, plus the S Yorks PPC vacancy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Legal action launched against PIP delays

http://www.irwinmitchell.com/newsandmed ... n-isolated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

This ''parachuted in'' nonsense really does get on my tits, my cons could well get accused of the same thing next week, candidates put they name forward, it is then up to the CLP members to vote for however they choose, if someone from outside the constituency impresses what are you supposed to do, vote for someone who you don't think is as good?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2h2 hours ago
Cameron says he found out yesterday 're Eu GDP adjustment, and Treasury knew a few days ago. But I go back to this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... borne.html

This is hilarious. Daves throwing a hissy fit pretending he didn't know anything about it, and look why we're having to pay extra money to the EU. :lol: :lol: :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Nationalism at it's ugliest, once in a while PC allow the mask to slip.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ap-7993208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2h2 hours ago
Cameron says he found out yesterday 're Eu GDP adjustment, and Treasury knew a few days ago. But I go back to this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rne.html …

This is hilarious. Daves throwing a hissy fit pretending he didn't know anything about it, and look why we're having to pay extra money to the EU. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has Empty mentioned yet that Greece also has to pay more, and Italy?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Someone on Twitter said Osborne will be ever so pleased we're now the same as Greece.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Someone on Twitter said Osborne will be ever so pleased we're now the same as Greece.
Ha! Feel free to ignore me when I say it (above), though, won't you?

(Just joshin'! Hope all's well with you and yours.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Whoops! Sorry - I've just noticed that you weren't ignoring me!-
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh, something I spotted last night which might interest one or two. When the history curriculum came out it was widely ridiculed as being (i) far too prescriptive (ii) too much loaded onto primary schools and (ii) like a list of chapter headings in a textbook.

So, anyway there was a team of people given the task of rewriting it - the list of who they were has finally come out through FOI.
Scott Baker, Lord Bew,Professor Jeremy Black, Professor Arthur Burns, Jamie Byrom, Daisy Christoudolou, Christine Counsell, Jackie Eales, Rebecca Fraser, Dr. David Green, Elizabeth Hutchinson, Matthew Inniss, Dr Seán Lang, Jennifer Livesey, Chris McGovern, Dr Michael Maddison, Andrew Payne, Robert Peal, Katherine Rowley Conwy, Rebecca Sullivan, Professor Robert Tombs, Jonny Walker,Dr Nick Winterbotham
There's a few names I recognise - Jackie Eales is (or was) President of the Historical Association, Jeremy Black Professor of History at Exeter, Robert Tombs is a trenchant right winger who wrote for the Mail about terrible history teaching but then the other...

Daisy Christodolou? Taught English for 2-3 years before deciding she didn't like being in the classroom and is now at ARK. A firm favourite of Gove.

Dr David Green - head of Civitas. Not a history teacher or academic even in his past career.

Chris McGovern - profession whinger about history teaching since the 80s. A bit odd seeing his name since he was complaining in January that Gove had lost the argument over the history curriculum!

Robert Peal? Another Gove favourite.Taught history for 2 years before getting fed up with teaching and went off to write a book published by...Civitas! Now works at West London Free School...

Christodolou got a thorough pasting about her misrepresentation of the old history curriculum by a history teacher called Michael Fordham. Peal also made the same "Oh the old curriculum was terrible" at the last Battle of Ideas.
The point I want to hammer home, however, is that those people who believe that the 2007 history curriculum is ‘knowledge-lite’ and who believe that the proposed 2014 curriculum is ‘knowledge-rich’ have misunderstood the former and exaggerated the changes the latter brings. There is not more knowledge in the proposed 2014 curriculum; it is simply more specific about what knowledge should be taught. I should reiterate that Daisy’s generic views on education support what many of us in the history community have been arguing for years, and it is for this reason that I reviewed her book favourably. I am assuming that the masses who have since done likewise are primarily supporting her general assertions. Assertions, however, are all her points will ever be, unless they are underpinned by a sufficiently rigorous evidence base and, from my reading of her handling of the history curriculum, this is currently not the case.
So...a few decent academics, the usual right wing suspects and a couple of chancers who get shoutouts from Gove. Same they didn't have Sir David Cannadine on it...but then he thought the old curriculum only needed more time to teach it.

End of rant.

Thanks very much for this.

I reckon a couple of those names must have written the first draft.

Nice take down of Christodolou.

Katherine Rowley Conwy doesn't seem to produce anything. Peter Rowley-Conwy is an academic. Who is she?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote: Has Empty mentioned yet that Greece also has to pay more, and Italy?

Think this is meant for me, dipping in and out PF, apols, bath running, vaccing, and all the everyday crap.. :oops:

All's well, thank you, hope it's the same with you..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:@ohsocynical

Whoops! Sorry - I've just noticed that you weren't ignoring me!-
And now I have replied to you thinking it was for me.. :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Someone on Twitter said Osborne will be ever so pleased we're now the same as Greece.

Think this is meant for me, dipping in and out PF, apols, bath running, vaccing, and all the everyday crap.. :oops:

All's well, thank you, hope it's the same with you..

Hello. It's getting confusing around here, isn't it? Well, I'm confused (and confusing everyone else), anyway. Hope all's well with you, too.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Francis Ryan

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... insons-dwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1008217 ... gures-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delayed discharges up 65% since 2010
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Legal action launched against PIP delays

http://www.irwinmitchell.com/newsandmed ... n-isolated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good.

How many judicial reviews / legal action against this government is that now?
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ofsted calling independent review into its internal review of whether Gove favourites got advance notice of inspections.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Nationalism at it's ugliest, once in a while PC allow the mask to slip.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ap-7993208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Some of this reads like a full on flashing of the chibleys rather than letting a mask slip ...

There's rather a lot of empty and unsold houses around here ... not sure about that flood of English they're expecting - well, unless we get another Tory government - in that case I expect half the population of England to be looking to move here - and then we'll declare independence!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Francis Ryan

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... insons-dwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some of the comments under that defy all commonsense and understanding ... people chuntering on about people being fat and needing to lose weight. What is it that gets into people that they feel able to make such stupid, irrelevant and downright nasty responses?

And it is such a good article ... it always is from Frances Ryan.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gaby Hinsliff @gabyhinsliff · 7h 7 hours ago
So, this happened: today's Times reports George Osborne's dog married Michael Gove's dog in 'a ceremony with flowers'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Gaby Hinsliff @gabyhinsliff · 7h 7 hours ago
So, this happened: today's Times reports George Osborne's dog married Michael Gove's dog in 'a ceremony with flowers'.
:sick:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound · 3h 3 hours ago
Cameron: "I'm not paying that bill on 1 December. If they think that they've got another think coming...It is not happening."
You can hear the mounting puce.

I think he might need to go on a long fish pointing interlude to calm down.

(Perhaps he might now understand what it must have felt like for so many hundreds of thousands who were suddenly clobbered with a bedroom tax bill ....They didn't bloody understand how they were suddenly deemed to be in receipt of a spare room subsidy that had to be removed or how these charges had been calculated either ... but they weren't allowed to consider not paying the bill.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron refuses to pay £1.7bn EU bill by 1 December deadline

His [David Cameron's] face growing increasingly red as he became more and more animated, he appeared apoplectic
as he denounced the conduct of the European commission.(Guardian)
My hero! I do like a red-faced apoplectic PM. So classy.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... r-deadline
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
David Cameron refuses to pay £1.7bn EU bill by 1 December deadline

His [David Cameron's] face growing increasingly red as he became more and more animated, he appeared apoplectic
as he denounced the conduct of the European commission.(Guardian)
My hero! I do like a red-faced apoplectic PM. So classy.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... r-deadline
I've got to admit to enjoying the spectacle of Cameron and Osborne being hoist on their own petard - they have crowed about the UK doing better than the rest of Europe (no doubt all because of their 'long term economic plan') and now it has come back to bite them on the arse.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A bit late now they've created so much malicious propaganda around it. :fire:

& Good luck in your new home Dan.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Nationalism at it's ugliest, once in a while PC allow the mask to slip.

To be fair, they don't specify people from England, as the article implies. The thing is, I can't see anyone threatening Welsh-speaking areas with thousands of new non-Welsh speaking residents. The example given is of... Cardiff and some unspecified hub villages. In fact, I wonder if the Welsh-speaking areas were mentioned much at all in the discussion.

But I find their attitude even more perplexing for all that. Why does building a houses for X people mean the population of Wales grows by that amount? That's a laughable fallacy. Nor would all these houses have to be built anyway if no-one wanted them. It's a plan, up to 2026.

And the bloke in Cardiff with his tinpot referendum- he's just doing nimby. As is the "not everyone wants to live in a hub village" woman. Cardiff is already growing very fast, and has much improved public transport planned. Sounds very positive.

What it also shows is that independence is a complete posture from Plaid. Those million people would make it much more viable.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

StephenDolan wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the Rochester and Strood By election, won't the whole shooting match have to be rerun again in 6 months, for much of which parliament won't be sitting; in which case isn't this all a huge waste of money?
Correct!
Correct and also why it will fall under the protest vote. But try explaining that to a kipper. Tories will win it back come May imo.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

yahyah wrote:
A bit late now they've created so much malicious propaganda around it. :fire:

& Good luck in your new home Dan.
That's the point though isn't it? They print an attack piece on behalf of Crosby, the Tories make hay with it in the media for a few days, trying to establish the narrative of "Labour NHS bad, Tory NHS good" in the public consciousness and then the Mail quietly corrects their fabrications with a one paragraph retraction on page 40 with no consequences to them and the general public blissfully unaware that they've been fed a dollop of manure.

Goebbels would be proud of them.
Last edited by Spacedone on Fri 24 Oct, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Cameron: "I'm not paying that bill on 1 December. If they think that they've got another think coming...It is not happening."

(Perhaps he might now understand what it must have felt like for so many hundreds of thousands who were suddenly clobbered with a bedroom tax bill ....They didn't bloody understand how they were suddenly deemed to be in receipt of a spare room subsidy that had to be removed or how these charges had been calculated either ... but they weren't allowed to consider not paying the bill.)

Exactly what I was thinking (your second para).
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Worth a tweet perhaps?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Spacedone wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: You can hear the mounting puce.

Worth a tweet perhaps?
Would you suggest the wording of the Tweet? Just makes it easier…….. ;-)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Worth a tweet perhaps?
Will Dave get evicted if he doesn't pay his EU tax?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Flythenest Haven ‏@FlythenestHaven now
Will @David_Cameron get evicted if he doesn't pay his EU tax? #BedroomTax
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

To be fair, they don't specify people from England, as the article implies. The thing is, I can't see anyone threatening Welsh-speaking areas with thousands of new non-Welsh speaking residents. The example given is of... Cardiff and some unspecified hub villages. In fact, I wonder if the Welsh-speaking areas were mentioned much at all in the discussion.

But I find their attitude even more perplexing for all that. Why does building a houses for X people mean the population of Wales grows by that amount? That's a laughable fallacy. Nor would all these houses have to be built anyway if no-one wanted them. It's a plan, up to 2026.

And the bloke in Cardiff with his tinpot referendum- he's just doing nimby. As is the "not everyone wants to live in a hub village" woman. Cardiff is already growing very fast, and has much improved public transport planned. Sounds very positive.

What it also shows is that independence is a complete posture from Plaid. Those million people would make it much more viable.
Well quite Tubby. That's what I thought re the million more people ... it would make an independent Wales a much more viable option and as they would most likely be coming here to escape the right wing rottweilers in England ... they would probably vote for it and it could happen ... They're not thinking this through fully.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Flythenest Haven ‏@FlythenestHaven now
Reply Retweet Favorite
Nice one Ohso and PfY. Ta.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Reply Retweet Favorite
Welcome.

Ohso is I reckon a star Tweeter (well we know about her writing skills). Ohso do you fancy joining the FTN Tweeting team?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Worth a tweet perhaps?
He won't want to pay it because the books look better than they are. Dave and Gideon have been flashing a wad of notes that's really newspaper (Leveson free) and a fifty wrapped around the outside and claiming we're a top ten country with a growing economy. Raising employment yada, yada, yada.

I think we're going to find some real problems when Labour get to see the books. Cameron's a PR man, it going to be a façade with some very questionable figures.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Been to visit the house and the previous owners have left a load of useful stuff! Like a wardrobe and a sofa. Should save me a bit.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Reply Retweet Favorite
Welcome.

Ohso is I reckon a star Tweeter (well we know about her writing skills). Ohso do you fancy joining the FTN Tweeting team?
Okay. You'll have to explain how to do it. I only found notifications a few days ago. :shock:
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 24 Oct, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DavidCameron_IWantTo.jpg
DavidCameron_IWantTo.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 25240 times
Marcus Chown @marcuschown · Oct 22
Retweet if you think David Cameron has fallen just an incy-wincy bit short on this promise
Incy-wincy my arse ....

Editing to add: Why does Cameron's 'serious face' always look like he's constipated ... or, possibly more accurate, a baby in the act of depositing big time ... ?
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Fri 24 Oct, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.