Monday 30th November 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 30th November 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30t November 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity."
- George Orwell
Politics and the English Language
poor communication and sloppy thinking during stressful times
I thought of Johnson's Latin phrases and alases
Orwell writes laughing at empty jargon helps make users of it stop; they'll talk and think meaningfully if their drivel is discouraged
Johnson doesn't do shame, he doesn't care who laughs at him, he's got all the power and we got to listen to his horseshit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"We are so nearly out of our captivity, we can see the sunlit upland pastures ahead... but if we try to jump the fence now, we will tangle ourselves in the last barbed wire, writes PRIME MINISTER BORIS JOHNSON

We can't blow it now. We can’t just throw it all away – not when freedom is in sight. We have worked too hard, lost too many, sacrificed too much, just to see our efforts incinerated in another volcanic eruption of the virus.

But this time it is different. This time we know in our hearts that we are winning, and that we will inevitably win, because the armies of science are coming to our aid with all the morale-boosting, bugle-blasting excitement of Wellington’s Prussian allies coming through the woods on the afternoon of Waterloo."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I see that Eton have responded to the "free speech" row that have had the usual suspects like the Telegraph, Mail Toby Young etc piling in. But oh look...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... chool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the Head Master received complaints about this particular video, there were suggestions that it broke the Equality Act and the Education (Independent Schools Standards) Regulations.

An independent barrister was consulted who said, in a written opinion, that this was indeed so.

At this point the Head Master had absolutely no option other than to relay the legal advice received and ask, and then instruct, the master to take down the YouTube video, which was (with permission from the school) clearly identified with Eton.

The Head Master proposed a temporary removal while a way forward could be explored.

The master, on six occasions, refused to do this.
and
A disciplinary investigation by another barrister (who took the same view as the first about the law and the regulations) led to a panel hearing by three very experienced and senior teachers, at which the Head Master appeared as a witness.

They heard the evidence and determined that the master's persistent refusal to accept a reasonable – indeed inevitable – instruction from the Head Master in such an important matter amounted to gross misconduct which should result in dismissal.

Whether or not that decision was correct is now subject to appeal. In the normal course of events, I would not comment before such an appeal was heard.

In this case, because a false and potentially damaging narrative has reached the media, I think it right to make clear what the issue is.

It is not about free speech within the law, behind which Eton stands four-square. It is about a matter of internal discipline, quite properly now subject to appeal.
Funny that...one side of the story gets amplified and the actual reason for his dismissal only comes out later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...others have come near to claiming that all abstract words are meaningless, and have used this as a pretext for advocating a kind of political quietism. Since you don't know what Fascism is, how can you struggle against Fascism? One need not swallow such absurdities as this..."
force-fed absurdities
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.
Things you may need to do before you go include:
check your passport
get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
check you have the right driving documents
organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before you go
There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.
Passports: check if you need to renew
You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling from 1 January 2021.
https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

32 days
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:
"We are so nearly out of our captivity, we can see the sunlit upland pastures ahead... but if we try to jump the fence now, we will tangle ourselves in the last barbed wire, writes PRIME MINISTER BORIS JOHNSON

We can't blow it now. We can’t just throw it all away – not when freedom is in sight. We have worked too hard, lost too many, sacrificed too much, just to see our efforts incinerated in another volcanic eruption of the virus.

But this time it is different. This time we know in our hearts that we are winning, and that we will inevitably win, because the armies of science are coming to our aid with all the morale-boosting, bugle-blasting excitement of Wellington’s Prussian allies coming through the woods on the afternoon of Waterloo."
Usual empty, cliched bombast.

Who actually likes this stuff?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I'm overflowing with tinned goods but it's the fresh stuff - salad from Spain etc - that will be affected most, the things you can't stock up on.

The vet's have had a poster up for the last couple of years explaining the process for taking a pet to the EU after we leave, just in case we crashed out at any of the earlier points it was threatened, so that may be one of the things people will be most prepared for. People rarely take pets abroad on a whim, anyway.

Travelling for work is going to be one of the biggest shocks. Musicians in particular are going to be very hard hit, I suspect.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Jeffrey Archer?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th November 2020

Maybe he actually writes at least some of it......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

It's serviceable to Johnson; he uses this, presents this shambles. What we need is a competent leader representing most of us, serving our collective interests. He and his government are wretched. The zip wire thing, his stupid speeches and writing, it goes on and on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:I'm overflowing with tinned goods but it's the fresh stuff - salad from Spain etc - that will be affected most, the things you can't stock up on.

The vet's have had a poster up for the last couple of years explaining the process for taking a pet to the EU after we leave, just in case we crashed out at any of the earlier points it was threatened, so that may be one of the things people will be most prepared for. People rarely take pets abroad on a whim, anyway.

Travelling for work is going to be one of the biggest shocks. Musicians in particular are going to be very hard hit, I suspect.
(cJA bold)
Yes. Performers, event artists and support crews making their living with jaunts somewhere in the EU, no visas, passports or other documentation, no proof of elements of medical.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Gone quiet here again?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I know we don't need any more evidence to support a claim that Suella Braverman is utter rubbish but here we are.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Where's Constance?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Any wit I have was helped along by HindleA's conversation.

Privilege, resources can protect some from infection and death during major pandemics but it's not for sure. Plagues kill large numbers of individual people in a relatively short period of time. There's the tragedy of people gone leaving their friends and community grieving. There's a societal displacement, millions of people gone from their places, where they'd lived there's holes in our society, where they were standing is an empty place. we're weakened by the loss of their experience, skills, loving friendships connections snapped off. human beings we counted on are gone and they're not replaceable. Individual grief. We'll all be affected by this scourge. Every one of us.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:I know we don't need any more evidence to support a claim that Suella Braverman is utter rubbish but here we are.

Careful now, you will have newfound woke warriors on the right accusing you of "racism" and "misogyny" for this kind of thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We've all be affected by CV19 already, I know that.
I'm interested in how people and their societies recover or not from or get altered irrevocably or not from plagues.
without HindleA helping me with Constance the spoons don't get washed much these days
there's probably postal workers trapped in the east wing of PorFavor's place
I've not seen hide nor hair of Three Shandies Larry, HindleA's homing pigeon friend in recovery
on what lawn is Tarquin lounging
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It hurts
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In other news, apparently some people are furious to find that losing freedom of movement means...er...losing freedom of movement.

Who'd have thunk it eh?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Gone quiet here again?
I managed posting some things but they're not particularly political
thank you all for your continued patience with me
I've been particularly difficult
there's gaps where people used to be in my life
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Seriously, I couldn't have made a bigger mess of this thread I tried! I'm laughing at myself. Please see the humour of my jangled thoughts posted between your grown-up conversation. You're all staying on topic and I'm a sad ranting person maybe not okay in herself at the moment.
:rock:
:heart:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Seriously, I couldn't have made a bigger mess of this thread I tried! I'm laughing at myself. Please see the humour of my jangled thoughts posted between your grown-up conversation. You're all staying on topic and I'm a sad ranting person maybe not okay in herself at the moment.
:rock:
:heart:
:hug:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Statement of sorts from Starmer about tomorrow's Tiers vote

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Bloody hell, what a scary thought!
Douglas Murray
@DouglasKMurray
A left wing newspaper in the UK is trying to stir up opposition against a member of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) based on him ‘liking’ a Tweet by me. Wait till they find out that the Cameron government tried to persuade me to be on the EHRC myself.
3:48 PM · Nov 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
:shock:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And apparently the Guardian is "the radical left"

:lol:

An utter clown.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:I'm overflowing with tinned goods but it's the fresh stuff - salad from Spain etc - that will be affected most, the things you can't stock up on.

There was a story the other day about casting for a film that required an actor with an EU state passport and not just a UK one. I think UK film-making is going to have a huge shock from this. Aside from cast and crew needing rights to free movement for filmsthat tend to shoot all over the place, it's difficult to find a UK indie production that isn't co-produced with somebody like Canal+ or Pathe from France or BIM from Italy. The free movement of capital is one of those bits of this that has been largely ignored.
I still believe in a town called Hope