Tuesday 1st December 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st December 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 1st December 2020

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

From the G
He told CNN he was entering the COVID-19 ICU when he saw the elderly patient “out of his bed and trying to get out of the room”. Varon said:

As I’m going inside my Covid unit I see that this elderly patient is out of his bed and trying to get out of the room and he’s crying. So, I get close to him and I tell him ‘why are you crying’ and the man says, ‘I want to be with my wife’. So, I just grab him, I hold him, I did not know that I was being photographed at that time.

The Texas doctor today pleaded with people to “do the basic things” to avoid infection and stay out of hospital.

Varon said he was frustrated by people not doing the right thing as coronavirus patients continue to fill his hospital beds:

I do this day in and day out and people are out there doing the wrong thing. People are out there in bars, restaurants, malls -- it is crazy -- it’s like we work, work, work, work, work and people don’t listen and then they end up in my ICU

What people need to know is that -- I don’t want to have to be hugging them. They need to do the basic things: keep your social distance; wear your mask; wash your hands and avoid going to places where there are a lot of people. Very simple. If people can do that health care workers like me will be able to -- hopefully rest.

Varon said the impact on healthcare workers was enormous:

I don’t know what keeps me going, I don’t know how I haven’t broken down. My nurses have broken down. My nurses cry in the middle of the day because they get so sad, sometimes for situations like this. Just seeing a patient that’s crying because he wants to see his family.

Varon said he was trying to be transparent to the media so that the public could see the reality of the situation in his hospital and had given Getty photographer Go Nakamura access to his Covid-19 ward, which is how the image of him had been captured.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

I could have sworn it were Tuesday...

Another thread from the Prof...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 1st December 2020

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Boris Johnson has called an all-party (remote) meeting prior to night's vote (Sky TV news).
Let's hope nobody's got the remotest intention of turning up.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If as reported Labour are abstaining on this, in a way it doesn't matter as the changes are bound to pass. OTOH the Tory rebellion could be quite a bit bigger?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If as reported Labour are abstaining on this, in a way it doesn't matter as the changes are bound to pass. OTOH the Tory rebellion could be quite a bit bigger?
Yes - I meant that any display of zero interest would be a slap in the face for Captain Fantastic.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Starmer has described the proposed measures as "full of holes", so I think that confirms Labour aren't voting in favour.

(which would, I think, be a first as far as major lockdown measures are concerned)