Monday 7th December 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 7th December 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 7th December 2020

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

I think this is a good piece, by the G's architecture critic so may not get as much airing as it deserves.

The culture of incompetence that led to Grenfell still imperils us
As the inquiry is not complete, blame cannot conclusively be apportioned to individuals and companies. What is clear is that a culture of buck passing, obfuscation and cynicism pervaded many of those involved. It is a culture that was not only particular to Grenfell. It can be found elsewhere in the construction industry and in publicly procured projects and services more generally.

This multiple layering has not come from nowhere. It has grown partly out of a decades-long process of government outsourcing, from the hollowing out and stripping down of local authorities under the theory that private companies will do a given job better.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Last night's hints there might be a deal with the EU after all, were immediately responded to by a "wall of gammon" on Twitter.

Expect more of the same if an agreement is indeed reached.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
The government has formally offered to withdraw or deactivate the clauses in the internal market bill that would enable it to over-ride parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement if a trade deal is agreed this week.
They're really stringing it out, aren't they? It's like pulling teeth with this lot.

Got 'til Wednesday, I reckon and then it becomes a real possibility the EU walk away if they're still taking the mick.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Trump and Johnson are either evidence that Democracy doesn't work - or that that we haven't yet achieved Democracy.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Trump and Johnson are either evidence that Democracy doesn't work - or that that we haven't yet achieved Democracy.
Democracy works as a way for a group of people with roughly aligned interests - the aristocracy, say - to thrash out some minor differences of opinion.

It doesn't work quite so well when a small majority want to impose what is anathema to a large minority. Or, indeed, vote democracy away entirely.

In a way, what happens next is key. We've seen democracy fail in Turkey, but democracy there was always somewhat in the gift of the military that policed it. Will the long-standing institutions of the US and UK fair better in preventing populism from turning into despotism?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...death is not the only important negative consequence of SARS-CoV-2 infection. It has become increasingly clear that many patients, even those with mild cases, may go on to develop lasting symptoms that can have disabling consequences for those affected.

These patients, the so-called ‘long haulers’, report a wide variety of symptoms—extreme fatigue, muscle and joint pain, breathlessness, heart palpitations, loss or alteration of taste and smell, gastrointestinal distress, and problems with attention, memory and cognition.

- Meeting the challenge of long COVID
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-01177-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:From the G:
The government has formally offered to withdraw or deactivate the clauses in the internal market bill that would enable it to over-ride parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement if a trade deal is agreed this week.
They're really stringing it out, aren't they? It's like pulling teeth with this lot.

Got 'til Wednesday, I reckon and then it becomes a real possibility the EU walk away if they're still taking the mick.
Neither side wants to be seen as the one "walking away", though. And surely the EU doing that would be used by our government as "justification" for no deal.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

'Tis the season for bizarre perfume adverts and this one from Chanel#5 doesn't disappoint. What the absolute f?
[youtube]qeMqcApmS7g[/youtube]
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Trump and Johnson are either evidence that Democracy doesn't work - or that that we haven't yet achieved Democracy.
Democracy works as a way for a group of people with roughly aligned interests - the aristocracy, say - to thrash out some minor differences of opinion.

It doesn't work quite so well when a small majority want to impose what is anathema to a large minority. Or, indeed, vote democracy away entirely.

In a way, what happens next is key. We've seen democracy fail in Turkey, but democracy there was always somewhat in the gift of the military that policed it. Will the long-standing institutions of the US and UK fair better in preventing populism from turning into despotism?
Well in actual fact the US institutions have proved a bit more robust in the face of Trump's provocations than some of us feared they might be.

(thus far in any case, fingers crossed)

I have my doubts if we would be as good in a similar situation - and a major reason for that is the utter, and almost unique, awfulness of our media class.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Long day reading papers for our GB meeting which went on a bit tonight.

To recap...the letter that the Eton teacher sacked for disciplinary reasons - not free speech - wanted (i) nobody to mention it to the press. They then promptly did so and (ii) to contact Steven Pinker...

Prof Steven Pinker withdraws support for Eton teacher after watching 'tendentious' video

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... ndentious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops.

But the teacher has the full backing of Toby Young's Free Speech Union!

I'm sure that will make all the difference...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well quite.
Russ
@RussInCheshire
·
6h
Leavers:

Won the referendum
Won the subsequent election
Led the negotiations
Chose the PM
Are 100% of the cabinet
Won another election
Wrote the Withdrawal Agreement
Led more negotiations

And now say its all Remainers' fault.

Fuck - and I can't stress this enough - off.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They want power without responsibility in its purest form.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]wbgd2ZpZWBU[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]IJ1c9ErCn7w[/youtube]