Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th October 2014

Post by yahyah »

What are the Independent playing at ?

They have a piece headed online as 'Tony Blair: I did not say Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'

When you click on it you get a piece headlined 'Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election' '
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Reminder that the clocks go back, tonight. This is almost more a reminder for me because, a couple or three years ago, I put mine forward by mistake. I had really started worrying about no helpers (and no customers!) for the allotment trading shed when one of the chaps wandered by and said, "Oh we don't usually open 'til eleven you know." I looked at my watch. He looked at my watch. He showed me his watch.
:oops:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachel ‏@racybearhold 24m24 minutes ago
So far 15,000 Sack Esther McVey leaflets distributed across Wirral West constituencies along with posters put in shops, houses and pubs. :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:Reminder that the clocks go back, tonight. This is almost more a reminder for me because, a couple or three years ago, I put mine forward by mistake. I had really started worrying about no helpers (and no customers!) for the allotment trading shed when one of the chaps wandered by and said, "Oh we don't usually open 'til eleven you know." I looked at my watch. He looked at my watch. He showed me his watch.
I'm glad it's not just me. I once turned up an hour early for a Labour Party meeting which was, unusually for us, being held on a Sunday evening. I was Minutes Secretary at the that point. Needless to say, I never got the promotion to Hours Secretary.

Edited

General tidy.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 25 Oct, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

LadyCentauria wrote:Reminder that the clocks go back, tonight. This is almost more a reminder for me because, a couple or three years ago, I put mine forward by mistake. I had really started worrying about no helpers (and no customers!) for the allotment trading shed when one of the chaps wandered by and said, "Oh we don't usually open 'til eleven you know." I looked at my watch. He looked at my watch. He showed me his watch.
I think I'm right in saying that now, clocks change across Europe at the same point...but in the days before, I went to get breakfast at a station cafe in Arezzo, thought it was odd that no-one was around...went back to the hotel, got my bag and went to catch the train..still no-one around...then noticed the clock...oh...

Worse, by the time I came back, the clocks in England had changed - I was very confused as to what time it was.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
I think I'm right in saying that now, clocks change across Europe at the same point...but in the days before, I went to get breakfast at a station cafe in Arezzo, thought it was odd that no-one was around...went back to the hotel, got my bag and went to catch the train..still no-one around...then noticed the clock...oh...

Worse, by the time I came back, the clocks in England had changed - I was very confused as to what time it was.
We are indeed unified with Europe, America still does different stuff - so all your US time zones will be out by an hour for the next few weeks.

I was most aggrieved to be in the US in March when their clocks went forward, I lost two hours of sleep this year and I only get one back.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Evening all, been out an about today
Just logged on twitter and seen this - fuming :fire: :fire:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie @montie · 9m 9 minutes ago
Is this manoeuvring against Miliband pointless self-harm or is there real possibility he cld be replaced? Grateful for views of Labour folk
You tell us mate ... it's just as baffling, but probably a whole lot more infuriating, to us.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Evening all, been out an about today

Yes - it's amazing they can get away with something like that - but they can. They put Crosby into the shade really - Cameron must be wondering why he wasted his money on him.

I'm sort of hoping that UKIP, Tories and right wing media constant assaults on Miliband and Labour might just prove to be overkill for the public (or enough of them). If it looks like the biggest smear campaign ever, and smells like it, maybe they will just suss that it is one - and that could work against the dark forces - especially if they keep dragging the NHS and all who work in her into it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4h 4 hours ago
New post.
Labour could be in trouble in the South Yorkshire PCC by-election http://bitly.com/1wqtUPV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4h 4 hours ago
A UKIP victory in the S Yorks PCC by-election will reinforce the narrative about the purples hurting LAB as well as CON
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 41m 41 minutes ago
Odd claim that Miliband banned Lamont from attacking the bedroom tax for a year. He pledged to scrap it six months after it was introduced.

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 24m 24 minutes ago
@Kevin_Maguire I thought Labour position was that they always condemned it but didn't pledge to repeal until Sept. '13.
Well one or other of them should let the Guardian know ... not that it would make any difference to their reporting.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard retweeted
Chris Giles @ChrisGiles_ · 23h 23 hours ago
British officials well aware GDP revisions would affect EU budget. http://on.ft.com/1zovnIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #FT
It's things like that that make me think they perhaps aren't all pulling behind Cameron ... just a thought.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://academiesweek.co.uk/englands-lar ... l-concern/

Apols if I have posted something that has already been done, haven't been online for around 20 hours, which is a long time for me.

Normally enjoy Pointless, but with that line-up I would sooner watch ''Come dine with me''
The interesting bit is at the end:
The letter, which is addressed to new trust chair Rupert Gather, comes after the Department for Education (DfE) made a u-turn and decided to intervene into the trust’s plans to outsource non-teaching roles in a contract worth up to £400m.

In a letter seen by Academies Week in September, schools minister Lord Nash said that any final decisions about the outsourcing would be for Education Secretary Nicky Morgan to decide, despite the fact Dominic Herrington, the former director of the DfE’s academies group and now South East England and South London Regional Schools Commissioner, had told MPs in February that it was a matter for the board of trustees, not the DfE.
I might be wrong but there'd be an almighty row if after having given them a note about their concerns with financial control, the DfE then gave them the go-ahead to outsource all of their non-teaching staff activity.

If you can't control what you have now, why on earth would anyone would think you could manage such an outsourcing?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

We are indeed unified with Europe, America still does different stuff - so all your US time zones will be out by an hour for the next few weeks.

I was most aggrieved to be in the US in March when their clocks went forward, I lost two hours of sleep this year and I only get one back.

We once made a argument that as we lost a day due to going over the International Date Line we should have got a reduction for holiday insurance purposes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dr Éoin Clarke @LabourEoin · 3h 3 hours ago
Oh. There's another UKIP song (via @NxtGenUK )
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
[youtube]4fz4E3v8nQU[/youtube]

and it's much much better.

Listen to it. It's not what you expect from Eoin Clarke's tweet!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

The rise of UKIP is "phenomenal" according to the Guardian. As it would be with all the publicity they get and policies that hardly ever scrutinised, just fuck off! I wouldn't put that paper down for the dogs to shit on. Sorry for the rant.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:The rise of UKIP is "phenomenal" according to the Guardian. As it would be with all the publicity they get and policies that hardly ever scrutinised, just fuck off! I wouldn't put that paper down for the dogs to shit on. Sorry for the rant.
Listen to the YouTube song I just posted letsskip. It'll make you feel much better. Very catchy refrain too.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

G4S and Serco pay out £100,000 in youth restraint claims
Fourteen say unlawful measures used on them as children, with cases coming to light after deaths of two teenagers
Myatt was 1.47m (4ft 10in) and weighed 41.3kg (6st 7lb). One restraining officer was 1.85m (6ft 1in) and 101.6kg (16st). When he told the restraining officers he couldn’t breathe one replied: “Well, if you are shouting, you can breathe.”
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what to say.....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Victims threaten to boycott Woolf inquiry into child abuse
Survivors of child abuse say they have no confidence in Lady Woolf as relationship with Lord and Lady Brittan is revealed

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... confidence
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:The rise of UKIP is "phenomenal" according to the Guardian. As it would be with all the publicity they get and policies that hardly ever scrutinised, just fuck off! I wouldn't put that paper down for the dogs to shit on. Sorry for the rant.
Listen to the YouTube song I just posted letsskip. It'll make you feel much better. Very catchy refrain too.

Far better than Reid's effort, but so would nails being scratched on a chalkboard, and tom cats fighting at 4am!

Had a little titter at this earlier, the guy still thinks the NF is the party for him though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Islam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Fourteen say unlawful measures used on them as children, with cases coming to light after deaths of two teenagers
Myatt was 1.47m (4ft 10in) and weighed 41.3kg (6st 7lb). One restraining officer was 1.85m (6ft 1in) and 101.6kg (16st). When he told the restraining officers he couldn’t breathe one replied: “Well, if you are shouting, you can breathe.”
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've hit the dreaded Rusbridger tally there AAW - quick - do another post before it sticks. (Bit like making a funny face when you're little ... you don't want to be stuck with it for more than a minute).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

You've hit the dreaded Rusbridger tally there AAW - quick - do another post before it sticks. (Bit like making a funny face when you're little ... you don't want to be stuck with it for more than a minute).
Ahhhh missed that!!!
will this count ????
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Evening all, been out an about today

Well this bloke has a go at them anyway ...
UKIP plumbs the depths with lies, innuendo and deceit.

http://paddysletterfromlondon.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :sleep:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, PF – sleep well and dream sweetly :)

(Yay! finally get to say it in real-time!)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne Styley.jpg
Osborne Styley.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 17422 times
Fraser Nelson @FraserNelson · 2h 2 hours ago
Is this what you meant by "deal with the debt", George Osborne? http://specc.ie/1zlhSJK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (From the new @spectator)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

A lot of anti-Ed stuff on LBC tonight. I expect a press barrage tomorrow to continue the 'narrative'.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

diGriz wrote:A lot of anti-Ed stuff on LBC tonight. I expect a press barrage tomorrow to continue the 'narrative'.
Good job I'm not the cynical type, I would think it was planned, must be a hoot for those who play these games, ring a few people up, put a few words in a few ears and bingo, start the bandwagon rolling, again.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

GuardianEducation ‏@GuardianEdu · 21s21 seconds ago
Ofsted to investigate ‘superhead’ Rachel de Souza’s schools over inspection dates http://gu.com/p/42nxm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
diGriz wrote:A lot of anti-Ed stuff on LBC tonight. I expect a press barrage tomorrow to continue the 'narrative'.
Good job I'm not the cynical type, I would think it was planned, must be a hoot for those who play these games, ring a few people up, put a few words in a few ears and bingo, start the bandwagon rolling, again.
This looks like the last attempt by the Blairites to get their man in place.

The Guardian has some utter bollocks about the Care UK dispute, as though opposition leaders can instantly resolve disputes by stating an opinion.

Pathetic.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

liane gomersall ‏@ligomersall 46s46 seconds ago
How could the home secretary blunder so badly over Fiona Woolf? - Catherine Bennett http://gu.com/p/42mm3/tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @guardian
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 14s15 seconds ago
Tonight's YouGov for S Times sees LAB & CON once again level pegging.
CON 33%-1
LAB 33% -1
UKIP 16% +1
LD 7% +1
GRN 6% =
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Daniel France retweeted
Opinium Research ‏@OpiniumResearch 2h2 hours ago
Tories draw level with Labour in our latest Opinium/Observer poll: Con 33 (up 5pts), Lab 33 (-2), Ukip 18 (+1), LD 6% (-3)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Daniel France retweeted
Tories draw level with Labour in our latest Opinium/Observer poll: Con 33 (up 5pts), Lab 33 (-2), Ukip 18 (+1), LD 6% (-3)
They are rather all over the shop though. The last one saw a big drop in Tory support.
Release the Guardvarks.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Very depressing on social media, wall to wall anti-Ed, lots of anger. I don't get the Lamont story, unless the LP is about to eat itself. (This Ed-bashing now a weekly event.) Only light was the Telegraphs Cameron Osbourne European f/u story. Only beneficiary of all this will be Farage.

Can the Tories afford for Ed to go? Their entire strategy for the election is based on Ed-bashing.

A, I understood about the table, but the story is specifically about the 340,000 elderly (horrid term that) disabled people they are setting up to become new targets of public wrath. Living in houses, getting care, how dare they. There is a plan to make retired people work for their pension, it was mooted a few months ago, and plenty of disabled grandparents do look after their grandchildren. It's not so far fetched when you put it in that context. Or when you get to my age.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Daniel France retweeted
They are rather all over the shop though. The last one saw a big drop in Tory support.
The last poll was buried - this one is blazed across the Graun politics front page. Predictable - who knew??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not for the story - for the nice photo of Ed, for all us Ed loving ladies :)
Tony Blair rubbishes claim Ed Miliband can't win next General Election

(night all)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Went to see if Daniel Boffey had a Twitter a/c because I was going to ask Eoin Clarke to share the pic of Ed on the Doncaster picket line seeing as Boffey has trotted out another pack of lies about [EM] refusing to meet the stiking care workers.

Boffeys last tweet was:
@DanielBoffey: @Patrickfrench2 hi, can u call? Did DM number previously.. Am on daniel.boffey@observer.co.uk too

I went to see who Patrick French was & saw:
@PatrickFrench2: I can confirm this story is accurate. Earlier this year Tony Blair said Ed Miliband will lose the general election
Sigh, we can expect another missive from Boffey tomorrow then.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

That Eoin Clarke pic
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.52 KiB) Viewed 17303 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Richard Osman only found out about MacKenzie's appearance on Pointless an hour before.He argued strongly against it but to no avail.Has been apologising profusely on Twitter.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

pk1 wrote:Went to see if Daniel Boffey had a Twitter a/c because I was going to ask Eoin Clarke to share the pic of Ed on the Doncaster picket line seeing as Boffey has trotted out another pack of lies about [EM] refusing to meet the stiking care workers.

Boffeys last tweet was:
@DanielBoffey: @Patrickfrench2 hi, can u call? Did DM number previously.. Am on daniel.boffey@observer.co.uk too

I went to see who Patrick French was & saw:
I
@PatrickFrench2: I can confirm this story is accurate. Earlier this year Tony Blair said Ed Miliband will lose the general election
Sigh, we can expect another missive from Boffey tomorrow then.
Wasn't Ed on the picket line with those same workers?

Edited to apologise for typing the above in as many minutes as there are words, and missing the great pic of Ed picketing, which I thought we all saw at the time, nice to see even a seasoned blogger had missed this and is surprised (?) that it never created a media storm!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:That Eoin Clarke pic
It's also reported in the Morning Star that some of the carers visited Ed in his surgery and got his support: http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-82 ... rn-to-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Also bear in mind that Boffey used to write for the Mail on Sunday.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is the weekend after a week-end where the Treasury and the Chancellor of the Exchequer failed to tell the Prime Minister that we were about to get a big bill from the EU, which we knew was coming but had just forgotten about, and the fucking press give us this pile of shit about Labour in response to it?

I know some people here have seriously doubted the idea that the Guardian will endorse the government going into the next election but it seems more and more likely to me.

Can I share a happy story instead? (A very rare event indeed these days). On Friday a group of Asian teachers at my school brought in Divali gifts for the whole of the staff: samosas and sweet-meats, the finest gifts a friday morning could imagine.
I still believe in a town called Hope
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

adam wrote:This is the weekend after a week-end where the Treasury and the Chancellor of the Exchequer failed to tell the Prime Minister that we were about to get a big bill from the EU, which we knew was coming but had just forgotten about, and the fucking press give us this pile of shit about Labour in response to it?

I know some people here have seriously doubted the idea that the Guardian will endorse the government going into the next election but it seems more and more likely to me.

Can I share a happy story instead? (A very rare event indeed these days). On Friday a group of Asian teachers at my school brought in Divali gifts for the whole of the staff: samosas and sweet-meats, the finest gifts a friday morning could imagine.
Mmm... samosas. What type?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

refitman wrote:Mmm... samosas. What type?
Veggie ones. There's a shop on the corner of the street by my school that sells five very lovely warm veggie samosas for a pound. We're not strictly speaking supposed to go out during the day but it's usually possible to find a kid who's prepared to make a run for it.
I still believe in a town called Hope
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

adam wrote:
Veggie ones. There's a shop on the corner of the street by my school that sells five very lovely warm veggie samosas for a pound. We're not strictly speaking supposed to go out during the day but it's usually possible to find a kid who's prepared to make a run for it.
Had an Indian 'corner' shop by me, when I lived in Bristol. They had home-made lamb samosas and potato cakes. I miss them. And now I'm hungry.
Last edited by refitman on Sun 26 Oct, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove a rogue 'd'
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:
adam wrote:
Had and Indian 'corner' shop by me, when I lived in Bristol. They had home-made lamb samosas and potato cakes. I miss them. And now I'm hungry.
And now you've all made me hungry too :( We were out on the hill, the other night, watching three separate Diwali fireworks displays. The beautiful temple at Neasden does a brilliant one and, like all Hindu and Jain temples and Sikh Gudwaras, they welcome visitors with open arms and hearts; and put on wonderful feasts. If anyone comes to London the Shri Swaminarayan Mandir (Neasden Temple) is well worth a visit. It is fully accessible, too: http://londonmandir.baps.org