Monday 27th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th October 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Balls visits Rochester and Strood as shadow chancellor joins by-election campaign trail
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news ... sit-25929/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what annoys me, local press report what's actually happening on the ground, MSM "report" Labour are not going all out for the seat and (in one last week) saying "front bench" will not be campaigning in Rochester and Strood. Everyone gets all down, saying "oh they should do xyz" when that's exactly what they are doing....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Zoe Williams @zoesqwilliams · 6h 6 hours ago
In fairness, if David Cameron had worn a t-shirt saying "this is what a feminist looks like", I would have had to stop being a feminist
:lol: She's got a point.
Working on the wild side.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Zoe Williams @zoesqwilliams · 6h 6 hours ago
In fairness, if David Cameron had worn a t-shirt saying "this is what a feminist looks like", I would have had to stop being a feminist
:lol: She's got a point.
:lol:
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Labour has evidence for the demand for extra money 7 months ago, Morgan implicated.
This should be good... Image
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Hi all,

I didn't expect to posting at this time, but I've had a bit of bad news.

Having been welcomed into the employ of my new company - as mentioned here passim - I had assumed that this meant that I was going to be an employee of the firm, rather than an element of the firm's politics. I spent all of last week training up on the systems - and this morning - with third party suppliers or the current incumbent, and assumed that goodwill was the order of the day. Well, you do as a new employee, don't you.

This morning, we finished off bills of materials and sales ledger, with a view to looking at pivot tables and Active Directory this aft.

Except, that never came.

At lunchtime, I was called in by the MD into a room and given some fucking guff about communication being key in the job (eh?) and was told that I could go. Just like that. I suppose I should have told them to go and fuck themselves - apparently, they're being kind enough to pay until the end of the week; thanks chaps - but I was so taken aback, I simply said my goodbyes (to people who I'd barely begun to know) to witness their stunned response in return.

Nice doing business with you.

I'm now wondering if the current IT manager - who was training me - was simply using me as a means of getting himself a big, fat payrise. He was nowhere to be seen during my defenestration. I like to think not, but I have a suspicious nature.

So, I've now got the afternoon off (and tomorrow, and every other following day, it seems) so can recommence my FTN duties. I'm hoping that you won't be too pleased about that!

The agency that had orchestrated the interviews didn't sound chuffed, although I doubt it wil stop them taking that company's dollar for a second. My wife and daughter have been entirely supportive, I'm happy to say, and MsRemarx has concurred with my opinion that they are a monumental bunch of arseholes. Getting offed at the interview stage is one thing; getting offed because there's another agenda entirely is quite another. Oh well, live and learn. Back home, holiday brochures meet recycling bin, recently purchased Fiat, meet Autotrader.

Not the best of days.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sports Direct forced to advertise zero-hours contract terms
Retailer required to display limited terms under which 90% of its staff are employed, after reaching settlement with ex-worker

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ract-terms
Well, I suppose it's something - but it's not enough, not nearly enough. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to have opted for such a settlement. I just hope that by displaying the no entitlement to any regular hours, sick pay, holiday pay etc etc - job seekers will have enough evidence to not be forced to apply for such a job ... Am I hoping for the impossible?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Liz Kendall is an effective communicator.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Hi all,

Having been welcomed into the employ of my new company - as mentioned here passim - I had assumed that this meant that I was going to be an employee of the firm, rather than an element of the firm's politics. I spent all of last week training up on the systems - and this morning - with third party suppliers or the current incumbent, and assumed that goodwill was the order of the day. Well, you do as a new employee, don't you.

This morning, we finished off bills of materials and sales ledger, with a view to looking at pivot tables and Active Directory this aft.

Except, that never came.

At lunchtime, I was called in by the MD into a room and given some fucking guff about communication being key in the job (eh?) and was told that I could go. Just like that. I suppose I should have told them to go and fuck themselves - apparently, they're being kind enough to pay until the end of the week; thanks chaps - but I was so taken aback, I simply said my goodbyes (to people who I'd barely begun to know) to witness their stunned response in return.

I'm now wondering if the current IT manager - who was training me - was simply using me as a means of getting himself a big, fat payrise. He was nowhere to be seen during my defenestration. I like to think not, but I have a suspicious nature.

So, I've now got the afternoon off (and tomorrow, and every other following day, it seems) so can recommence my FTN duties. I'm hoping that you won't be too pleased about that!

The agency that had orchestrated the interviews didn't sound chuffed, although I doubt it wil stop them taking that company's dollar for a second. My wife and daughter have been entirely supportive, I'm happy to say, and MsRemarx has concurred with my opinion that they are a monumental bunch of arseholes. Getting offed at the interview stage is one thing; getting offed because there's another agenda entirely is quite another. Oh well, live and learn. Back home, holiday brochures meet recycling bin, recently purchased Fiat, meet Autotrader.

Not the best of days.
WTF?? What a company, commiserations Ernst.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

That's a bummer, Ernst; really sorry to hear it didn't work out. Hope something else surfaces soon.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 20284.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 in 15 teachers in London have no qualifications, a rise of 900 in the last year alone.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.
WTF?? What a company, commiserations Ernst.
Thanks LetSkip. I'm having problems absorbing it, frankly. If anything had been said to be about any doubts they had last week, I could have shown them that they were simply wrong. But there was nothing. No hint of anything untoward, just "sorry you're not right for the job" and the implied "fuck off".

I don't know how to feel at the moment. One question I asked at interview was do people stay with you? The answer was yes, and there were examples. Perhaps I should have asked was do you stab new employees in the back for the flimsiest of reasons and on grounds that are so disingenuous and self-serving that it renders you a complete fucking disgrace to the ideas of trust, reason and faith?

I've little doubt they would have lied about that too.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.
Hell's bells, that's appalling. What disgusting behaviour, and after you were so pleased to get this opportunity.

It'll take a bit to get over this, but do not let this knock your belief in yourself. This has nothing to do with you and your abilities, and don't for one moment let that thought affect you.

Total and utter bastards.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hello Ernst. That sounds truly bloody awful behaviour on their part - and a crap way to treat you. It's definitely not you, it's THEM. Big hugs from me, and probably all here. We love having you back more, but not for this reason.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Oh Ernst, that's a right pisser. :(
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.

Speechless - words cannot convey my disgust......
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

mbc1955 wrote:

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.
Hell's bells, that's appalling. What disgusting behaviour, and after you were so pleased to get this opportunity.

It'll take a bit to get over this, but do not let this knock your belief in yourself. This has nothing to do with you and your abilities, and don't for one moment let that thought affect you.

Total and utter bastards.
Thanks chuck, it's nice to get the support. The family have been great and I see you all as extended family (but of my choosing!). It won't change me - although I might be slightly more wrathful towards certain textile wholesalers in the Oldham area - and I'm no worse off than I was this time last month (although having lashed out on a car and worked my expectations up for a Greek holiday next summer may take a leedle while to resolve).

But, yes, total and utter bastards.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Hello Ernst. That sounds truly bloody awful behaviour on their part - and a crap way to treat you. It's definitely not you, it's THEM. Big hugs from me, and probably all here. We love having you back more, but not for this reason.
Thank you. I'm grateful (not tearful (yet!)).

What goes around comes around. It'll happen to them.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:Oh Ernst, that's a right pisser. :(
Thanks, just don't let any of your parrots go into IT management if they can avoid it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Re: Dave 'Tits' Cameron.

Probably refused to wear the feminist T-shirt because they didn't have a woman's size 36" bust. :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.

Speechless - words cannot convey my disgust......
I have to say, by the time I spoke to the woman at Hays IT who'd placed me, I'd got over that, and she had to endure a very rich display of Anglo-Saxon invective as I memorably failed as a politician to moderate my language. Rest assured none of it was directed at her, just to her, and to be fair she said she was as appalled as I. Not buttering many parsnips from my POV, but there you go.

So anyone out there need a 53 reg Fiat Stylo JTD 1.9, 'cos I'm well and truly in the market. Thank fuck I hadn't organised a replacement clutch.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ernst:

I'm reminded of the saying 'be careful, it's a jungle out there'. Sad, bad times I'm afraid.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Except, that never came.

Not the best of days.
Sadly I've been there and have a couple of (metaphorical) t-shirts to prove it, so you have my deepest sympathies. MsRemarx has it spot on imo! And, also being cursed with a suspicious nature, I suspect you are also spot on in your assessment of the incumbent IT manager; been the victim of that kind of office politics once too often, sadly that kind of practice is endemic in the SME sector.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ernst,
Sad news that, strange bunch of people, probably better off out of there anyway.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Russell Brand rules himself out of running for London mayor as there's already a comic doing the job, so true it's not funny.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Alright everyone, it'll bung up today's DP thread if I keep on replying to you all, so I'll simply say a very big

THANK YOU

to everyone who's posted thus far.

In many ways, as I've said, you are my extended family and I fully realise that I will get over this, and probably in pretty short order. It's never nice when/of it happens, so you learn the lesson and move on, vowing to spot the wankers earlier next time.

That's it I suppose.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Ernst - that is really really shitty. Have a hug.

Re, Ed - if they get rid of him, I will cut up my card.
Me and Show have taken delivery today of hundreds more leaflets. We're doing a leaflet run, new ones each time, every 2 months from now to the election. It's people like us and millions of others who get the graft done, and if Labour lose the best man at the top through their own foolishness someone else will have to do that work.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Ernst - that is really really shitty. Have a hug.

Re, Ed - if they get rid of him, I will cut up my card.
Me and Show have taken delivery today of hundreds more leaflets. We're doing a leaflet run, new ones each time, every 2 months from now to the election. It's people like us and millions of others who get the graft done, and if Labour lose the best man at the top through their own foolishness someone else will have to do that work.
Me too. I Twittered that I would...Hope the message gets though.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

AngryAsWell wrote:My money was, is and will remained with Ed. I think talk of replacements is giving in to the evil bile sprouted by Crosby and directed to the favoured reporters to carry forward into MSM.
If we, on a group like this, cant see through that, then its a poor show.
This.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Ernst, they've treated you in a really shitty manner and frankly you'd have grounds for unfair dismissal if the law allowed it inside 2 years (another Coalition triumph). Sadly employers are now free to get rid of employees for whatever spurious bullshit reason they can think up.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nearly Legal ‏@nearlylegal 11m11 minutes ago
House of Lords appear to be giving Grayling's JR reforms a thorough duffing up. Hurrah for their unelected lordships.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

diGriz wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:My money was, is and will remained with Ed. I think talk of replacements is giving in to the evil bile sprouted by Crosby and directed to the favoured reporters to carry forward into MSM.
This.
Ages ago one of the papers did a piece on what the 2015 election would be like warned it would be dirty, a bloodbath, and personal.

The Coalition have no popular policies. Their reputation is in shreds. The only way they can win is to hammer Labour and Ed especially into the ground by whatever means they can. The campaign wouldn't be so vicious if Ed wasn't leader. All the signs show they fear him.

I remember my dad saying that Labour always managed to shit in their own nest. For all his faults, Tony Blair imposed his will and make them electable.

Sod it. I'd like to wring their bloody necks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Night PF.

I hope you haven't quite left us yet. This link is just for you. In case you were wondering where Mike Hancock is, and what he is up to, or, rather, not up to.
Guido Fawkes @GuidoFawkes · 24m 24 minutes ago
Picture from #Recall debate perfectly illustrates need for #RealRecall - see http://guyfawk.es/1wDp024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
diGriz wrote:
This.
Ages ago one of the papers did a piece on what the 2015 election would be like warned it would be dirty, a bloodbath, and personal.

The Coalition have no popular policies. Their reputation is in shreds. The only way they can win is to hammer Labour and Ed especially into the ground by whatever means they can. The campaign wouldn't be so vicious if Ed wasn't leader. All the signs show they fear him.

I remember my dad saying that Labour always managed to shit in their own nest. For all his faults, Tony Blair imposed his will and make them electable.

Sod it. I'd like to wring their bloody necks.
Don't kid yourself. It doesn't matter who the Labour leader is the media would be hammering them.

There is no alternative for Labour than to stick with Ed. He has set the policy framework and stepping back from the day to day stuff you can argue he has put Labour where it needs to be.

Cameron is going to be campaigning from the far right, UKIP from the extreme right and nobody cares about the Lib Dems.

The election is still a long way off, and as the Scottish referendum shows voters can move late in the cycle. My guess is Cameron is going to scare off a lot of people and the NHS is still a strong card.

The problem is Cameron is promising stuff he can't deliver. Miliband is very reluctant to play that game, because as Hollande shows your real problems start when you start governing. If you can't deliver on your promises disaster follows.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I also remember when the Coalition began their attack on the less fortunate, that polls showed a huge percentage of 'Labour voters' also thought the benefits system had become too generous and was encouraging people not to work. I remember being shocked by the figures.

Attitudes have supposedly changed, but not enough to guarantee his winning in 2015. What's he supposed to do? If he ignores what the polls are still showing [check UKIP] he won't get in.
He is on a tightrope between left and right.

FWIW, I don't think this country will ever swing back to the left. Much as I hate it, society has changed too much.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Surely this is something that could be emphasized a lot more?

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/201 ... says-benn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I heard a lot more about it, I would argue that it's virtually worth voting Labour not Tory alone. There are big sums of money involved that would make a lot of difference.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Eddie Mair presenting The One Show, FFS, put him on Newsnight or something similar... :fire:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
House of Lords appear to be giving Grayling's JR reforms a thorough duffing up. Hurrah for their unelected lordships.
Fundamentally the lords are the "conservative" establishment.

That Cameron's government are so often defeated just shows what a shit Conservative Cameron is. He cares nothing for service, tradition, stability and obligation.

The problem of course is how do you replace the Lords with an elected body that performs the same function, largely independently of the parties.

I see no easy solution.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Eddie Mair presenting The One Show, FFS, put him on Newsnight or something similar... :fire:
Co-presenting with James O'Brien.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fundamentally the lords are the "conservative" establishment.

That Cameron's government are so often defeated just shows what a shit Conservative Cameron is. He cares nothing for service, tradition, stability and obligation.

The problem of course is how do you replace the Lords with an elected body that performs the same function, largely independently of the parties.

I see no easy solution.
The legal profession is one of the reasons I get a bit fed up with broadbrush "establishment, blah, blah, Oxbridge" stuff. They've been pretty good on principled opposition.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Eddie Mair presenting The One Show, FFS, put him on Newsnight or something similar... :fire:
Is he really - or is that your dream team Tubby?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Can one of the mods set a trap for Jack's smiley's please, so we catch and can keep them ? esp the popcorn one...

Code: Select all

:smack:

:popcorn:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Ernst, commiserations, sounds like a right stitch up. :mad:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Can one of the mods set a trap for Jack's smiley's please, so we catch and can keep them ? esp the popcorn one...

Like this?

Yay! (but bet I'll forget in no time.... lol) and what was the other one Jack posted?
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Is he really - or is that your dream team Tubby?
Sorry, was a dream.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Think Left ‏@ThinkLeftOrg · 5m5 minutes ago
New Logo for Lib Dems http://fb.me/3V2vr9uDA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol!:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Armando Iannucci: Why politicians of all parties are kicking the poor
Demonising genuine welfare claimants as skivers and benefit cheats is simply creating a more divided society

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comme ... 20658.html
He should be writing some of the speeches for the more lacklustre Labour spokespeople.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

DWP haven't issued any figures of people in rent arrears on Universal Credit.