Monday 27th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 27th October 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 6m6 minutes ago
David Cameron shoved by protester in Leeds http://tgr.ph/12QNI2Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

JackPranker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Andy Burnham is the obvious front runner.
I like the Eagle sisters. But we're back in "the wrong . . . " territory, so perhaps not!
Umunna, imo. Burnham's tainted as Brown's Treasury Secretary and Mid-Staffs (both wrongly) and has apologised to so many people over the years he's mooted to star in a BBC remake as Timothy Lumsden in an up-to-dating of "Sorry" called "Non-Apology Apology".
Is Debbie Abrahams not in with a chance or is it too soon (only elected 2010)? Right credentials re NHS but difficult seat in Oldham. Just a thought.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Oh, I didn't mean Balls or Reeves as an alternative, people loathe them! I'm marginally more generous, Reeves at least has youth to blame!

Edited, because this sounds unkind. Nevertheless it's true, Balls because of all the usual, and Reeves because she's never really had enough positive exposure after her 'tougher than the Tories' glitch.

She is really mistrusted as a result, though I've seen her much, much better, but only when watching a debate, never in the news.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Hate to say it guys but the most likely successor if Labour don't win in 2015 will be Chuka Umunna :?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

pk1 wrote:Hate to say it guys but the most likely successor if Labour don't win in 2015 will be Chuka Umunna :?
No he isn't - see my post above. Even the Blairites have stopped hyping him, so manifestly obvious is it that he is nowhere near ready yet.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

seeingclearly wrote:Oh, I didn't mean Ball or Reeves as an alternative, people loathe them! I'm marginally more generous, Reeves at least has youth to blame!
Most of the old timers in the shadow cabinet have pretty much zilch credibility and are past their sell by date IMO ... My sis had the unfortunate experience of hearing some of them speak at a Labour function a while back and thought they were bloody awful - couldn't inspire themselves let alone anyone else. It was the same old neo liberal, austerity rules stuff ... totally tired and out of touch.

I can't imagine Reeves doing anything for the party's image or verve ... it would be like having a corpse as leader. Sorry - I know that's very unkind - but Labour needs some serious animus and she doesn't do that.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Reeves is pretty good in a post she is suited to - she would be good as Chief Sec, for example (or even Chancellor one day?)

Not only is she in one of Labour's most thankless jobs at present, though, but her skill set isn't a great match for it.

At least she has abandoned Byrne's at times rabble-rousing rhetoric, though. That is something.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Any good news anywhere ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Cameron under fire for refusing to wear pro-feminist T-shirt
Campaigners hit out at PM over refusal to support magazine campaign, especially after Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband agreed

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... rt-refusal

... Lorraine Candy, editor-in-chief of Elle, said: “This is a shame on so many levels, especially given he knew Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband had agreed without hesitation, alongside many other influential men who were more than happy to call themselves feminists. It seems the prime minister still has an issue with the word feminist.”

Elle had approached Cameron as part of its upcoming feminism issue. When asked by the magazine why the PM would not wear the garment, Cameron’s team said he would rather give them a supportive quote instead. But the quote, it turned out, made no mention of the word feminism...
What a complete and utter berk he is.

Editing to add (before Ohso does): Perhaps he didn't have a proper supportive bra to go underneath it.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Creasy is certainly one, Lisa Nandy another. Despite being on the right of the party, John Woodcock is a genuinely sound and likeable bloke.

Actually, Labour's 2010 intake is strikingly good and one of the reasons for not totally giving up hope. 2015's doesn't look like it will be bad, either :)

Its just a question of getting there......
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

More on Neil Findlay, I for one would be pleased to have a left-winger as head of Scottish Labour, suck a few Blairites off down south.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -lab-lead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Campaigners hit out at PM over refusal to support magazine campaign, especially after Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband agreed

... Lorraine Candy, editor-in-chief of Elle, said: “This is a shame on so many levels, especially given he knew Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband had agreed without hesitation, alongside many other influential men who were more than happy to call themselves feminists. It seems the prime minister still has an issue with the word feminist.”

Elle had approached Cameron as part of its upcoming feminism issue. When asked by the magazine why the PM would not wear the garment, Cameron’s team said he would rather give them a supportive quote instead. But the quote, it turned out, made no mention of the word feminism...

Editing to add (before Ohso does): Perhaps he didn't have a proper supportive bra to go underneath it.
Isn't it Clegg's job to support Tory tits ?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Creasy is certainly one, Lisa Nandy another. Despite being on the right of the party, John Woodcock is a genuinely sound and likeable bloke.

Actually, Labour's 2010 intake is strikingly good and one of the reasons for not totally giving up hope. 2015's doesn't look like it will be bad, either :)

Its just a question of getting there......
Lisa Nandy is very under-rated.

Woodcock suffers with depression which can be utterly crippling so I'm not sure how he would cope with the pressures of a front bench job.

I don't see what most of you seem to regarding Creasy. Yes she did a good job on payday lenders but her shrill debating style really grates on my nerves.

I certainly agree that Reeves, given her background in finance, would be better suited to a Treasury post.
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:More on Neil Findlay, I for one would be pleased to have a left-winger as head of Scottish Labour, suck a few Blairites off down south.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -lab-lead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well Murphy would probably be a disastrous choice in terms of his Blairite, for the other brother, credentials. Scotland wants something different - something radically different (don't we all).
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Oh I say! Well done that yahyah! :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Creasy isn't any good at all, according a friend of mine who is in her constituency party.

One I think has been underused is Teresa Pearce, who was a senior manager at a Big 6/5/4 accountant and has 30 years of activism in Erith and Thamesmead, not a particularly ethereal place.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Poor old J Clive Matthews trying to argue with some Kipper types.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

RobertSnozers wrote:It's sad that we're even talking about who might replace Miliband although the point has been made that he never really had close supporters at the highest rank apart from John Denham, who's on his way out. Burnham is, for me, the only possibility. I think if it were anyone else among those who have been mentioned and are vaguely likely (Umunna, Reeves, Balls) I'd have to join the 'plague o' both your houses' set. David M is finished in UK politics. Stella Creasey isn't even on the front bench (unless I've missed something) so is years away being able to think about the possibility.

Someone dig me out of the slough of despond by telling us about all the Labour MPs coming through that we can actually get excited about.
It's not only sadness that I feel. I'm angry, bitterly disappointed and feeling quite vengeful against the bastards who have, since day 1, been out to GET EdM. I'm a Scorpio and my loathing (hatred actually, if I'm honest) of these people measures just about equal with the same feelings towards the #TOXICTORIES and their sh1tty, patronising, delusional, cruel and vile enablers.

This morning, on my way in to town, there was first a fox with a big, bushy cream tail and then a big and beatiful round badger laying cold stone dead just off the grass verge.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

My money was, is and will remained with Ed. I think talk of replacements is giving in to the evil bile sprouted by Crosby and directed to the favoured reporters to carry forward into MSM.
If we, on a group like this, cant see through that, then its a poor show.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I can spell beautiful but can't get down the comment that far to correct it!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 10s10 seconds ago
Scottish Labour leadership election looks likely to be battle between Murphy and Findlay.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

AngryAsWell wrote:My money was, is and will remained with Ed. I think talk of replacements is giving in to the evil bile sprouted by Crosby and directed to the favoured reporters to carry forward into MSM.
OK I'm with you!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Battery message came up when posting so had a duplicate burp!
Last edited by giselle97 on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote:My money was, is and will remained with Ed. I think talk of replacements is giving in to the evil bile sprouted by Crosby and directed to the favoured reporters to carry forward into MSM.
I think the conversation did drift a bit. What folk here worry about I think is that apart from Ed and Burnham there are not many big hitters who play well in the media.

I think Anatoly was pointing to the problem, which is that nobody can countenance a lot of the Blairites who held sway for so long so there's not much old talent to go for, while the new talent is taking time to emerge.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And for the record I don't think this is a "tribal" conversation. I found it interesting that Jack seemed to go for Umunna, who most Labour members can't stand ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And for the record I don't think this is a "tribal" conversation. I found it interesting that Jack seemed to go for Umunna, who most Labour members can't stand ;-)
which is a reminder I guess that any party has to choose people who speak broadly to the electorate as well as to the faithful. Dave himself would do well to remember this as he panders ever more to his right wing who nevertheless reward him with defections :twisted:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I fail to see much in Stella Creasy too, and my frustration isn't with Miliband, it's more with a few senior members of his cabinet, a few who where promoted too early IMO, Reeves, Umunna, are the obvious ones, I have more confidence in the likes of Jamie Reed, Kevin Brennan, Bryant, Owen Smith and Chris Leslie, all doing fine jobs, and yes admittedly most of their senior cabinet members in the same departments are also. But all those names mentioned are willing to put up a fight, it's the ones who bleat out the same narrative that gets me.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 10s10 seconds ago
Scottish Labour leadership election looks likely to be battle between Murphy and Findlay.
Well if nothing else it will be a battle between opposing wings of the party, should be interesting?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

yahyah wrote:Any good news anywhere ?
From the earlier posts it would seem there are lots of good Labour women in parliament. Far more than there are in government. :D

(this might be news to the country)
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And for the record I don't think this is a "tribal" conversation. I found it interesting that Jack seemed to go for Umunna, who most Labour members can't stand ;-)
Not an endorsement, you understand. :D CM is a posterboy and with as much depth. I think he might grow into a leader but it'll be a while before he gets to wear big boy pants.

Murphy vs Findlay? Image
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney 4m4 minutes ago
Morgan asks why Hunt is allowed to teach in a school in Stoke. < THAT'S CALLED BEING A VISITOR. *siiiiiiiigh
Christ almighty. They won't give that up.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Drew ‏@DavidEDrew Oct 26
More ceaseless drivel from Green Party. If they're not ruining Brighton they are forever just avoiding doing anything to help working class.
David Drew is a Campaign Group left-winger.

He doesn't seem to live the Green Party.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

JackPranker wrote:
Not an endorsement, you understand. :D CM is a posterboy and with as much depth. I think he might grow into a leader but it'll be a while before he gets to wear big boy pants.

Murphy vs Findlay? Image
A genuine debate could do SLab some good. And if it means Murphy has to tack left to win, all the better :)
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Ah, Cameron; living proof that if you give a man enough Europe he'll hang himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... -eu-rebate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently ,Labour have evidence that a Government knew about 1.7 billion bill as early as the Summer.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

giselle97 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:It's sad that we're even talking about who might replace Miliband although the point has been made that he never really had close supporters at the highest rank apart from John Denham, who's on his way out. Burnham is, for me, the only possibility. I think if it were anyone else among those who have been mentioned and are vaguely likely (Umunna, Reeves, Balls) I'd have to join the 'plague o' both your houses' set. David M is finished in UK politics. Stella Creasey isn't even on the front bench (unless I've missed something) so is years away being able to think about the possibility.

Someone dig me out of the slough of despond by telling us about all the Labour MPs coming through that we can actually get excited about.
It's not only sadness that I feel. I'm angry, bitterly disappointed and feeling quite vengeful against the bastards who have, since day 1, been out to GET EdM. I'm a Scorpio and my loathing (hatred actually, if I'm honest) of these people measures just about equal with the same feelings towards the #TOXICTORIES and their sh1tty, patronising, delusional, cruel and vile enablers.

This morning, on my way in to town, there was first a fox with a big, bushy cream tail and then a big and beatiful round badger laying cold stone dead just off the grass verge.
Hello fellow Scorp. We do do super strong loathing don't we - and some. :lol: I give a lot of leeway - but when someone finally blows it with me .... that's generally it - and I mean IT. No way back.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Kay Burley, apparently posed this question earlier ''what if the man who got too close to Cameron had Ebola?''

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Kay Burley, apparently posed this question earlier ''what if the man who got too close to Cameron had Ebola?''

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christ on a bike! Image
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Kay Burley, apparently posed this question earlier ''what if the man who got too close to Cameron had Ebola?''

She's quite angry about it on Twitter.
JeffLebowski ‏@caucasianjerry 1h1 hour ago
@KayBurley Dear Kay, Ebola? You are a fearmonger and a fool. That is all.

Kay BurleyVerified account
‏@KayBurley
@caucasianjerry I was reading out a tweet from a viewer Clean out your ears
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Ken Clarke gets shouted down by his fellow back benchers over the European Arrest Warrant.

Such a classy bunch.

@Jack, I thought it was a piss take, alas not!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Clarke to Cameron ''Everyone in the FO and Treasury must have known about the demand for money''

Cameron's face like thunder.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
giselle97 wrote:

Hello fellow Scorp. We do do super strong loathing don't we - and some. :lol: I give a lot of leeway - but when someone finally blows it with me .... that's generally it - and I mean IT. No way back.
Hi everyone,
but I'm a Virgo and I do the exact same.Quietly put up with quite a lot then suddenly it's all over.The offender becomes invisible.So maybe it's not an astrological trait.Or maybe I'm just mean.
All a bit depressing at the moment,but,come on,does anyone really believe that Ed will be removed so near the election?Looking at you Anatoly,maybe don't answer.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Briefly returning to the Scottish LP for a moment, I've come across this post on UKPR by Amber Star, a Scot who used to post on the Graun:
AMBER STAR
@ John B
…Douglas Alexander taking centre stage and side-lining Johann at the ‘act of reconciliation’ on the steps of St. Giles’ on September 21st.acting with an arrogance which…
———–
That’s your impression. Some of us were at the Scottish Party Conference where Johann Lamont strode around, engaging with nobody, whilst Douglas Alexander sat on a low wall outside the conference centre chatting with everybody who approached him. Margaret Curran & Anas Sarwar speak to everybody; Caroline Flint & Harriet Harman – both English MPs – come out door knocking or on walkabouts with us whenever they’re in Edinburgh; Ed Miliband has done several walk-abouts, including wandering around Prince’s Street Gardens with us when he was here on holiday. Actually, when I think about it, I’ve had more conversations with Ed Miliband than I’ve had with Johann Lamont!
That's not how the media report things is it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Can one of the mods set a trap for Jack's smiley's please, so we catch and can keep them ? esp the popcorn one...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Labour has evidence for the demand for extra money 7 months ago, Morgan implicated.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Ah, Cameron; living proof that if you give a man enough Europe he'll hang himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... -eu-rebate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Laughed,I could have cried!Doesn't he have any advisors with even a little wisdom?Really,he isn't safe to let out.
But,of course,it's all bad news for Ed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges retweeted
Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 6m 6 minutes ago
Ashcroft National Poll, 24-26 October: CON 31%, LAB 31%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 18%, GRN 5%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Labour has evidence for the demand for extra money 7 months ago, Morgan implicated.
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 12m 12 minutes ago
The letter from Nicky Morgan cited by Miliband, which said the Treasury was giving "high priority" to GNI changes.
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/ ... 0178164737
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dan Hodges retweeted
Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 6m 6 minutes ago
Ashcroft National Poll, 24-26 October: CON 31%, LAB 31%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 18%, GRN 5%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.
Has anybody posted Populus today:

Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1), Con 34 (+1), LD 8 (-1), UKIP 13 (-2), Oth 8 (-1).

All polls mighty close - too close for my liking :(