Friday 15th January 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 15th January 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 15th January 2021

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My sweet disposition is being sorely tried.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Twitter consensus is that Vicky Ford had been at the gin before QT last night.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Where was everyone yesterday? Its not as if nothing was happening.

Hopefully today will be a bit busier.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

Interesting article by Richard Evans on the false comparisons between USA 2020/1 and Nazi Germany.

Why Trump isn’t a fascist

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2021 ... nt-fascist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both Hitler and Mussolini ensured a near-total “coordination” of social institutions and voluntary associations, as everything from football clubs to male voice choirs was absorbed into the structures of the fascist state. This social policy was maintained by huge bureaucratic regimes, providing jobs for thousands of their followers hungry for income and status after years of hardship and privation.

During Trump’s disastrous four years in the White House government posts have been left unfilled, senior officials have been routinely fired and the commander-in-chief has spent much of his time playing golf. The kind of hyperactive dynamism that characterised fascist regimes was entirely absent. Congress has prevailed over Trump’s attempts to sideline or undermine it, and judges, including his own Supreme Court appointees, have adhered to and interpreted the law in ways that have sometimes thwarted Trump’s ambitions, notably rejecting his legal challenges to the presidential election. Election officials, among them long-term Republicans, have resisted his attempts to intimidate them, while the mainstream media has refused to broadcast his falsehoods, lies and misleading claims unchecked.
So basically Trump is too lazy to be a fascist...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Having initially spoken of there being some bumps in the road, Michael Gove last weekend told businesses to prepare for “significant disruption” as a result of Brexit. He was right to do so, because on top of the extensive difficulties traders were already experiencing, outlined in my previous post, this week there have been reports of “a high volume of vehicles being refused and delayed” at ports. Couriers are reporting that “Brexit delays and costs are escalating rapidly” whilst DPD, one of the largest couriers, has temporarily suspended all UK-EU road services.
- Chris Grey
https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co ... ities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Anyone know if Trump has UK citizenship?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If you are leaving Great Britain for the EU from the Port of Dover or via the Eurotunnel
You will need a Kent Access Permit (KAP) if your HGV weighs over 7.5 tonnes.

Apply for a Kent Access Permit.
The driver could be stopped and fined up to £300 for entering Kent without having a Kent Access Permit, or for making false declarations when travelling to the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.
https://www.gov.uk/check-hgv-border/che ... the-border" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Driving into Kent without a KAP is against the law.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Good morning.

Interesting article by Richard Evans on the false comparisons between USA 2020/1 and Nazi Germany.

Why Trump isn’t a fascist

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2021 ... nt-fascist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both Hitler and Mussolini ensured a near-total “coordination” of social institutions and voluntary associations, as everything from football clubs to male voice choirs was absorbed into the structures of the fascist state. This social policy was maintained by huge bureaucratic regimes, providing jobs for thousands of their followers hungry for income and status after years of hardship and privation.

During Trump’s disastrous four years in the White House government posts have been left unfilled, senior officials have been routinely fired and the commander-in-chief has spent much of his time playing golf. The kind of hyperactive dynamism that characterised fascist regimes was entirely absent. Congress has prevailed over Trump’s attempts to sideline or undermine it, and judges, including his own Supreme Court appointees, have adhered to and interpreted the law in ways that have sometimes thwarted Trump’s ambitions, notably rejecting his legal challenges to the presidential election. Election officials, among them long-term Republicans, have resisted his attempts to intimidate them, while the mainstream media has refused to broadcast his falsehoods, lies and misleading claims unchecked.
So basically Trump is too lazy to be a fascist...
There may be some truth in this, but the widespread chaos and inefficiency beneath the surface of Nazi Germany has been well documented by Kershaw and others.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:
If you are leaving Great Britain for the EU from the Port of Dover or via the Eurotunnel
You will need a Kent Access Permit (KAP) if your HGV weighs over 7.5 tonnes.

Apply for a Kent Access Permit.
The driver could be stopped and fined up to £300 for entering Kent without having a Kent Access Permit, or for making false declarations when travelling to the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel.
https://www.gov.uk/check-hgv-border/che ... the-border" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Driving into Kent without a KAP is against the law.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All going swimmingly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Teething troubles and nothing to worry about, we are assured.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Early night for you, then.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have danced many nights away in many locations over the years. At the (then) Phoenix in Chapeltown (Leeds) these two were particular favourites:

LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Where was everyone yesterday? Its not as if nothing was happening.
In my case I was cripplingly hungover. This resulted in me forgetting about Question Time but on the plus side I got through a lot of Spiral.

I did however see some whingeing Scottish fishermen being interviewed vigorously complaining as if they were the recipients of some grave injustice when in reality they've got nobody to blame but themselves. Time and time again over years they were warned vetinary checks would have to be introduced to inspect their catches before they could be exported to the EU and did they listen? No, they were too busy flying little Scottish flags for Brexit and laughing the warnings off as 'project fear'. And now look where they are, losing money hand over fist, complaining they could go bankrupt in weeks and calling for millions in taxpayers cash to bail them out. Well fuck them, they're in this position as a result of their own greed and stupidity. They deserve neither money nor sympathy.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Meanwhile the jukebox at Liverpool's Casablanca yielded this beauty:

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I walked through Chapeltown in the snow on my way to Meanwood Valley this very day.

I'll have to check where the Phoenix was, I've heard of it but I'm pretty sure it was demolished a few years ago.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://www.facebook.com/GoodingFuneral ... 172009352/
The Phoenix Club was eventually closed and put up for sale but remained empty for a number of years. With no maintenance the building fell into disrepair a number of number of structural faults occurred and which culminated in a partial collapse. The building was deemed structurally unsound and was eventually demolished around 2013.
And here it is now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60+Fr ... -1.5272666

I'm not sure what that's going to be, a mosque maybe?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It had already emerged as the Phoenix (from the ashes) when I went. It was always living on the edge.
I also frequented the Merrion Centre's little-acclaimed Phonographique.
Followed by chip butty and cup of tea at "Sweaty Betty's"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:It had already emerged as the Phoenix (from the ashes) when I went. It was always living on the edge.
I also frequented the Merrion Centre's little-acclaimed Phonographique.
Followed by chip butty and cup of tea at "Sweaty Betty's"
I too used to frequent the Phono, and it was far from little-acclaimed in the Goth scene, it was a place of pilgramage for many years as (for better or worse) it was where bands like The Sisters of Mercy started out. I was still going there until it was closed.

I don't know if it would have been there in your day but there was another club in the Merrion centre (now a venue) at the entrance from Merrion Street which a friend of mine decided to take on and run as an alternative/burlesque club called The Subculture. She managed to lose her house and bankrupt herself in the process, but for a couple of years it was glorious.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Billy Ocean is still going strong. They breed them tough in Romford. Or "Rumpferd" as my Granddad used to say.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Billy Ocean is still going strong. They breed them tough in Romford. Or "Rumpferd" as my Granddad used to say.
Until shamefully recently, I assumed he was American.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Billy Ocean is still going strong. They breed them tough in Romford. Or "Rumpferd" as my Granddad used to say.
I'd love to have heard him pronounce 'onomatopoeia' or would that have been munutuneus?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

In Memoriam: The Real Victims of The Insurrection

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway......Wayne Rooney. Decent player wasn't he?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:In Memoriam: The Real Victims of The Insurrection

They banned a bunch of nazis and you lost followers....hmmmm....?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

There's been something going on in the church next door all night, I've been hearing bits of singing on and off, and they must have warmed the place up because I just heard a loud 'whumpf' outside and all the snow that was on their roof is now in my garden.

They're not doing anything wrong of course, spreading covid amongst the faithful is within the rules, and I hope they took the time to thank the almighty for blessing this area with the highest infection rate in the city.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Fact-checking should be banned on humanitarian grounds.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway......Wayne Rooney. Decent player wasn't he?
From a Man Utd perspective I'm obviously going to say yes, even when we were at our worst he could still be great. When we were being humiliated in the Champions League final by Barcelona there was a moment where you could see him thinking 'fuck this' and single handedly taking the game to them and scoring. It's easy to look good when your team's playing well, it takes something else to look good when your team's being crushed.

However England fans always seemed a bit sniffy about him, I've no idea why not being one myself, but he got a lot of crap from them.

So I suppose it depends who you ask.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote:They banned a bunch of nazis and you lost followers....hmmmm....?
Not just the Nazis, Twitter also purged a lot of the 'QAnon' nutjobs.

So fascists and unhinged conspiracy theorists.

Or as Trump calls them 'beautiful people'.

The meltdown on the American right is quite something to behold, and the one thing they want everyone to know is that they are the victims in all this.

Everyone is being mean to them.

And it's not fair.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean this is just wholly unacceptable. Using the evidence of their own words to mock and accuse them. If they were smart like Toby Young they'd have deleted everything they said last year so nobody could ever find it again.

Heroes of the insurrection.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status ... 0069834753
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Nice to see Steve 'blue sky thinking' Hilton there who once got Cameron to hug a hoodie and ride with huskies.

Now grifting in the USA telling Fox News viewers what they want to hear for money.

I seem to recall him being hailed as a political genius and being interviewed favourably on Newsnight as the 'liberal' political outsider who'd steered Cameron through the coalition years.

But he's just another twat in a t-shirt and jeans dressing down despite being loaded, a proto-Cummings if you will, or Jeremy Clarkson if he was 10 years younger. Look at me I dress like you slobs but my jeans cost £500 and my T-shirt was weaved on a loom in Patagonia by a blind old peasant woman from the hair of the sacred guinea pigs she raises to sacrifice to the moon.

So that's TWICE the leaders of the Conservative party have been taken in by these chancers.

And if I were Cummings I'd be looking to follow Steve in making a wadge of cash from gullible Yanks because let's face it he's about as popular in this country as learning a foreign language.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'd forgotten about Steve Hilton. I thought I got a feeling of deja vu with Dominic Cummings but my mind didn't make the connection. I feel ashamed.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I feel ashamed.
That's what drugs are for. Try some OxyContin the hillbilly heroin.

When Marx talked about the opiate of the masses he didn't mean an actual drug, but the American right sure love their opiate painkillers.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »