FlyTheNest

A haven
It is currently Fri 26 Feb, 2021 3:15 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Friday 29th January 2021
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 7:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 6:22 pm
Posts: 4315
Location: Wombwell, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 1176 times
Been thanked: 8005 times
Morning all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 10:45 am 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 12028
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 22467 times
Good morning, everybody.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 11:25 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 14276
Has thanked: 27444 times
Been thanked: 22985 times
Good morfternoon.

Quote:
Councils flag concerns about 'excessive profits' at children's homes

Local Government Association calls for financial oversight of privately run facilities

Councils have called for financial oversight of England’s privately-run children’s care homes after research showed some of the biggest private equity-owned providers were collectively making hundreds of millions a year in profits.

The Local Government Association (LGA) also warned that the increasing indebtedness of some of the largest private providers risked triggering a Southern Cross-style financial collapse, potentially leaving vulnerable children without a home.

The call for increased regulation comes amid concern about the sustainability of the increasingly privatised children’s care market, as well as the quality of some care provision, highlighted by revelations that thousands of youngsters were placed in unregulated accommodation such as boats and caravans.

A study published on Friday by the LGA found the six biggest private children’s care providers made £219m in profits last year. (Guardian - my bold)


https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/29/councils-flag-concerns-about-excessive-profits-at-childrenshomes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:13 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
Good afternoon, everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:23 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
My sleeping and waking times are all over the place. I'll sleep for six hours sometimes, be awake thirty-six hours straight and sleep for a couple of days. My activities aren't detrimentally impacted by it except for Mr citizen sometimes missing me during my long sleeps. He's working from home too. We're staying healthy and mostly happy.

From what I gather, others are experiencing ruptured sleeping and waking patterns too.

I think it's important you all should know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:28 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 12028
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 22467 times
Yeah, found myself not to going to bed until 3AM (or even later) more and more in the past year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:53 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
PorFavor wrote:
Good morfternoon.
Quote:
Councils flag concerns about 'excessive profits' at children's homes

Local Government Association calls for financial oversight of privately run facilities

Councils have called for financial oversight of England’s privately-run children’s care homes after research showed some of the biggest private equity-owned providers were collectively making hundreds of millions a year in profits.

The Local Government Association (LGA) also warned that the increasing indebtedness of some of the largest private providers risked triggering a Southern Cross-style financial collapse, potentially leaving vulnerable children without a home.

The call for increased regulation comes amid concern about the sustainability of the increasingly privatised children’s care market, as well as the quality of some care provision, highlighted by revelations that thousands of youngsters were placed in unregulated accommodation such as boats and caravans.

A study published on Friday by the LGA found the six biggest private children’s care providers made £219m in profits last year. (Guardian - my bold)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/29/councils-flag-concerns-about-excessive-profits-at-childrenshomes
Without funding for professional regulators making sure these places are kept safe for children cared for by appropriately vetted staff we won't know if these places are nice or hellish.

Unregulated child care operations is another profound failing of leadership. Funding and UK policy originate in Westminster, from government and it's currently not doing it's job right. They're not protecting people.

I think profit involved in most public service provision is dangerous.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:57 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Yeah, found myself not to going to bed until 3AM (or even later) more and more in the past year.
If you're feeling okay and it's not bothering you, please don't worry about it, that's my advice. But I'm your friend not your GP.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:58 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
The public services everyone must use will be care for by everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 1:59 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
I've made hot chocolate for everyone here. Please enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 2:01 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
I dream of HindleA more often than I ever met with him in person. I like his company.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:01 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 12028
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 22467 times
citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Yeah, found myself not to going to bed until 3AM (or even later) more and more in the past year.
If you're feeling okay and it's not bothering you, please don't worry about it, that's my advice. But I'm your friend not your GP.


Doesn't bother me that much, I usually sleep pretty well once I get there.

But will have to settle into a more "normal" routine when working regularly again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:05 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
I've been a temp most of my career. I'm good at it. Conscientious, eager to learn, eager to share what I know and trustworthy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:08 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
The gigs were local government placements.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:13 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
Nancy Sinatra: 'I'll never forgive Trump voters. I hope the anger doesn't kill me'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/29/nancy-sinatra-ill-never-forgive-trump-voters-i-hope-the-anger-doesnt-kill-me

Quote:
“We squeaked by [in the election]. I don’t know what I would have done if Biden had lost. It crossed my mind to move to another country.” The last four years, though, have taken a toll on her mental health. “I couldn’t believe that this great nation had sunk so low,” she says. “I’ll never forgive the people that voted for him, ever. I have an angry place inside of me now. I hope it doesn’t kill me.”


I know what you mean Nancy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:14 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:40 pm
Posts: 6872
Has thanked: 12392 times
Been thanked: 15597 times
https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... ing-trick/

Article about a 'right to regenerate' public land policy that was announced under cover of the 'legal protection for statues no-one actually wants to pull down' nonsense.

_________________
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 3:34 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 12028
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 22467 times
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
Nancy Sinatra: 'I'll never forgive Trump voters. I hope the anger doesn't kill me'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/29/nancy-sinatra-ill-never-forgive-trump-voters-i-hope-the-anger-doesnt-kill-me

Quote:
“We squeaked by [in the election]. I don’t know what I would have done if Biden had lost. It crossed my mind to move to another country.” The last four years, though, have taken a toll on her mental health. “I couldn’t believe that this great nation had sunk so low,” she says. “I’ll never forgive the people that voted for him, ever. I have an angry place inside of me now. I hope it doesn’t kill me.”


I know what you mean Nancy.


Her late dad would almost certainly have been a fan, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 5:03 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Her late dad would almost certainly have been a fan, of course.


Apparently not.

Quote:
Her father was no fan of Trump: according to Frank’s former manager, he told Trump to “go fuck himself” after the billionaire refused to meet Frank’s fee for a 1990 performance at an Atlantic City casino.


Though of course there's a big difference between disliking someone because of their politics and being pissed off about not being paid.

He was certainly a big fan of Ronald Reagan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 5:49 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
Willow904 wrote:
Article about a 'right to regenerate' public land policy that was announced under cover of the 'legal protection for statues no-one actually wants to pull down' nonsense.


https://www.gov.uk/government/news/right-to-regenerate-to-turn-derelict-buildings-into-homes-and-community-assets

Quote:
The new process will be fast and simple, and the Secretary of State will act as an arbiter to ensure fairness and speedy outcomes in all cases.


Yes Mr Jenrick has quite a track record when it comes to fairness and granting development requests.

Quote:
Further proposals in the new Right to Regenerate consultation also include: Publishing a definition of unused or underused land, helping to guide and encourage the public to make requests.


It's 100% certain the definition will favour developers over, for example, people who walk their dogs on a bit of council scrubland with trees, brambles and nettles providing a haven for insects and birds.

They've starved councils of the cash to develop or maintain these sites themselves and are now punishing them for it by handing their land to private enterprise. It's cynical and shameless and quite in keeping with modern Conservative values.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:13 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Her late dad would almost certainly have been a fan, of course.

Apparently not.
Quote:
Her father was no fan of Trump: according to Frank’s former manager, he told Trump to “go fuck himself” after the billionaire refused to meet Frank’s fee for a 1990 performance at an Atlantic City casino.

Though of course there's a big difference between disliking someone because of their politics and being pissed off about not being paid.

He was certainly a big fan of Ronald Reagan.
It was easier to personally like Ronald Reagan. He was a pleasant enough man to talk with.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:16 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:32 pm 
Online
Prime Minister

Joined: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 12028
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 22467 times
So its a VACCINE WAR is it??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:36 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
Minister under fire over tweets about journalist who sent her questions

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/29/minister-kemi-badenoch-under-fire-over-tweets-about-journalist-who-sent-her-questions

Quote:
In a Twitter thread, Kemi Badenoch accused the journalist from HuffPost of “creepy and bizarre” behaviour, and published screenshots of questions sent to her MP’s office and to a ministerial press office, naming the reporter.

In the wake of the tweets, the journalist concerned, Nadine White, had been forced to make her own Twitter account private as she was receiving so much abuse, HuffPost said.


Original Twitter thread from Kemi Badenoch.

https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch/status/1355129620467740672

Response from HuffPo editor.

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/ ... 8073922561

Reading through the various Twitter threads relating to the charming Kemi's behaviour she's taking a bit of a kicking and rightly so. Having seen her in action a few times she's a nasty piece of work who makes Suella Braverman look like Einstein*.

*In regard to her intellect of course, though I would very much like to see Suella in a funny wig with a bushy moustache.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:41 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
I'm off to get pissed with my drinking support bubble buddy.

Have a good evening all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 6:43 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 14276
Has thanked: 27444 times
Been thanked: 22985 times
What was "creepy" about that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 7:59 pm 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
Posts: 20531
Has thanked: 107390 times
Been thanked: 15446 times
PorFavor wrote:
What was "creepy" about that?

nothing
what the MP did with the question was creepy, in my opinion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 12:09 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
Fingers defrosting. Moon looked marvelous.

My friend who works for the council at an art gallery has been told he has a number of choices if he wants to keep being paid.

These range from assisting in the burning of corpses at a crematorium to passing on the news that people's relatives have died.

He does security, the curators of course aren't being forced into such choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 12:35 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
He's spent hours of his Covid 'time off' cataloguing prints and editing Wikipedia entries for each single one which is what the gallery manager asked him to do.

But when he complained about being forced to do something he wasn't remotely qualified to do the gallery manager informed him by email (which I have seen) that he was 'most suited to physical work'.

My friend has an MA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 1:06 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times
Anyway.

Growing older is a terrible thing, your freinds become ill more regularly and worry about their savings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 1:15 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 1:43 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 14276
Has thanked: 27444 times
Been thanked: 22985 times


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 2:08 am 
Offline
Prime Minister

Joined: Tue 26 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
Posts: 14276
Has thanked: 27444 times
Been thanked: 22985 times
Night night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2021 2:30 am 
Offline
Prime Minister
User avatar

Joined: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 4576
Has thanked: 657 times
Been thanked: 5220 times


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tinyclanger2 and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group