Thursday 30th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 30th October 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour needs to make the moral arguments
First Mediterranean rescue missions, now benefit cuts – Ed Miliband needs to answer the Tories with a stronger moral case

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... moral-case
This is a CIF article - so why no comments facility? Or is that just my experience?
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Fay Tuncay ‏@faykellytuncay 1h1 hour ago
@NadineDorriesMP @MarkTyrrellUKIP 38,000 Ukip members want to #RepealClimateAct Dorries avoids climate question - might lose her seat too.

Nadine Dorries MPVerified account
‏@NadineDorriesMP
@faykellytuncay @MarkTyrrellUKIP I might lose my seat? Well, cheers mystic Meg!

Fay Tuncay ‏@faykellytuncay 25m25 minutes ago
@NadineDorriesMP @MarkTyrrellUKIP Join Ukip and keep it. We need you.
Brainwashed sounds about right for rather a lot of people according to this.
Ah, UKIP "threats" again - the tail that wags the Tory dog.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
First Mediterranean rescue missions, now benefit cuts – Ed Miliband needs to answer the Tories with a stronger moral case

This is a CIF article - so why no comments facility? Or is that just my experience?
The entire comments system seems to have fallen over. According to my profile I haven't made any comments at all :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

The entire comments system seems to have fallen over. According to my profile I haven't made any comments at all :roll:
Ah - I did wonder if there were 'problems'. Maybe they've all popped out to the coffee shop to ask themselves what to do.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: This is a CIF article - so why no comments facility? Or is that just my experience?
Ah - I did wonder if there were 'problems'. Maybe they've all popped out to the coffee shop to ask themselves what to do.
Is the Groan coffee shop still there do you know?
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Is Alastair Cambell intending to help Miliband with the press,etc. I'm sure I read this somewhere a while back......
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Just looked at the new site. It's horrible beyond belief. Comments up the spout again? Watch them miraculously start working if the FibDems do something the Graun approves of. Still, saves all that pesky moderation doesn't it? The comments permanently off and all those nasty comments about the saintly FibDems go away.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

So that there is no doubt, since I believe that I may have been the one who raised the hypothetical query - Who the hell does anyone think could realistically replace Ed Miliband if the RWP and the sh1tty Labour back stabbers/Bloody Blairites succeeded in forcing him out ......

I would immediately register my disgust with the bastards responsible, cancel my direct debits, cancel my membership and tell them to go to hell.

PK1 and Technical Ephemera were both right in interpreting what I said and TGS and, I think AAW, mis-interpreted what I said.

If the Labour Party chooses to commit political suicide by pissing on a decent, honest, intelligent, compassionate, humerous, and genuinely good bloke then it deserves to die as far as I'm concerned. Oh, I forgot to add good-looking, seductively sexy and well groomed! :oops:
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

JP Janson De Couet retweeted
Tim Fenton ‏@zelo_street 1m1 minute ago
Has The Telegraph Sacked Toby Young? http://zelo.tv/1u9UQDj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; cc/ @actonblue @BorisWatch @MichaelRosenYes @Meraud_Hand @ruthserwotka @tobyhelm
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Frances Ryan @frances__ryan · 2h 2 hours ago
Clothes banks now opening. Next door to the local food bank - people can only afford the bus once. http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014- ... ty-durham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (via @LabourEoin)
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A good piece, with a little encouraging news:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ng-8018579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“There is too much attention being paid to locking up loan sharks. If you don’t stop the problem they will just sell their book of customers and when they come out of jail start again.

“We need to increase wages, and secondly available legal credit needs to be quadrupled, which is where credit unions come in.”

Nail. Head.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

On my tablet - using Explorer and old fashioned web page there is this headline

Scottish Labour faces being wiped out by SNP - poll

On my Samsung S5 mini phone with the new rubbish web site - which is completely frozen as I type - this is the headline

SNP may wipe out Scottish Labour at election - poll

That newspaper really needs to go to hell as well! :fire: :fire: :wall:
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: This is a CIF article - so why no comments facility? Or is that just my experience?
Must have been a hiccough in the system because 554 comments have now appeared on it that were not there 10 mins ago...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

mschin retweeted
The Independent ‏@Independent 9h9 hours ago
'Dangerously high' levels of airborne carcinogens found at US fracking sites
http://ind.pn/1E4H4mS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hallelujah!

Labour Left retweeted
Mary Creagh MP ‏@marycreagh_mp 23h23 hours ago
#Buses are the forgotten lifelines of our communities. Labour will back any city that wants London-style buses http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... us-8012878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

My hobby horse ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 3m3 minutes ago
SOUTH YORKS PCC PREDICTION COMPETITION

Follow link to have a go

last entry by 9pm thanks

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.c ... 5467962668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Seems like a while since I had a rant at Julie Bailey….

Well.

How could she possibly not give a Retweet to this campaign from Breast Cancer Campaign to save peer review of cancer services? Patients involved in reviews / audits of cancer care services.

http://www.breastcancercampaign.org/blo ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Debbie Abrahams retweeted
Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband Oct 29
David Cameron has presided over the lowest level of house building in peacetime since the 1920s. Are you affected? http://labour.tw/1DWN7JZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

IndyPolitics ‏@IndyPolitics 12s13 seconds ago
Green Party considering legal action against BBC after being left out of election debates http://ind.pn/1tVcQ3y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 5s5 seconds ago
Breaking: Israel withdraws her ambassador from Sweden after the European country recognises the State of Palestine (AFP)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Glenn Hanson ‏@gdhanson 27s27 seconds ago
Austerity (still) won’t balance the books http://disq.us/8kql4j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Labour Left retweeted
Lucy Rigby ‏@LucyRigby 54m54 minutes ago
Cameron’s deficit cuts claims mauled by IFS - http://FT.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://on.ft.com/10C7cY1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @FT
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

David Cameron’s claims to have achieved most of the necessary spending cuts to eliminate Britain’s budget deficit were severely criticised by the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies on Thursday.
In a note rushed out in response to an article by the prime minister published in The Times newspaper on Thursday, Paul Johnson and Carl Emmerson, the IFS director and deputy director, rejected Mr Cameron’s claim that his government had achieved £100bn of spending cuts and had only another £25bn to go.
"There is no sense in which we will be 80 per cent of the way through [the cuts], which is what is implied by the statement that £100 billion of savings have been made with £25 billion to go,” Mr Johnson and Mr Emerson wrote.
The directors added: “It is not useful to use those two numbers together to suggest that the vast majority of the planned cuts have happened. They haven’t.”
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Two councillors in Dudley defect from Tory to Labour :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/1 ... to_Labour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blow_for_Tories_as_borough_councillors_defect_to_Labour
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

So now there's another headline, as though the two previous ones weren't adequately sensational for the Guardian :fire:

Scottish Labour faces being wiped out by SNP at general election, poll shows

G seems not to be using the article amended feature anymore.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Re-written letter adds to questions over child abuse inquiry head
Fiona Woolf re-wrote letter to Theresa May seven times playing down links to Lord Brittan, who is at centre of cover up claims

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... se-inquiry
The home affairs select committee revealed that a formal letter between Woolf and May was re-written seven times, with Home Office assistance.

Keith Vaz MP, the chairman of the Commons committee, said the re-writes “gave a sense of greater detachment between Lord and Lady Brittan and Mrs Woolf”.

He added that it was extraordinary that the letter had needed to be rewritten seven times.
She's not endearing herself to me. And she's certainly not the right person for the serious job she has been given. Why oh why - did Teresa May appoint her? You do really start to smell deliberate cock up delaying tactics, don't you.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

giselle97 wrote:So that there is no doubt, since I believe that I may have been the one who raised the hypothetical query - Who the hell does anyone think could realistically replace Ed Miliband if the RWP and the sh1tty Labour back stabbers/Bloody Blairites succeeded in forcing him out ......

I would immediately register my disgust with the bastards responsible, cancel my direct debits, cancel my membership and tell them to go to hell.

PK1 and Technical Ephemera were both right in interpreting what I said and TGS and, I think AAW, mis-interpreted what I said.

If the Labour Party chooses to commit political suicide by pissing on a decent, honest, intelligent, compassionate, humerous, and genuinely good bloke then it deserves to die as far as I'm concerned. Oh, I forgot to add good-looking, seductively sexy and well groomed! :oops:
But that is my point. As far as I can tell there isn't any real movement to force him out from within the Party; oh sure, a few of the usual suspects are wheeled out any time the MSM need to whip up the anti-Ed frenzy a little more, but there is actually a remarkable degree of unanimity and cohesion within the PLP at present. So why is it even a serious topic for discussion? I get that your original point was hypothetical, but some of the responses to it, and the fact the conversation was even happening, said to me that Lynton is winning. Probably just me being naive again ...... :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
giselle97 wrote:So that there is no doubt, since I believe that I may have been the one who raised the hypothetical query - Who the hell does anyone think could realistically replace Ed Miliband if the RWP and the sh1tty Labour back stabbers/Bloody Blairites succeeded in forcing him out ......

But that is my point. As far as I can tell there isn't any real movement to force him out from within the Party; oh sure, a few of the usual suspects are wheeled out any time the MSM need to whip up the anti-Ed frenzy a little more, but there is actually a remarkable degree of unanimity and cohesion within the PLP at present. So why is it even a serious topic for discussion? I get that your original point was hypothetical, but some of the responses to it, and the fact the conversation was even happening, said to me that Lynton is winning. Probably just me being naive again ...... :wall:
I believe (TM) that each time someone from the inside of Labour does EM advice and bashing in public and straight to the press (eg Danczuk, Murphy, Watson) then they are doing what you say you haven't seen, "real movement to force him out". How much crap can one person take?

edit I don't think you're naive at all - just a different view from mine.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

What the Eff is the Guardian playing at tonight.

Yet another hesdline on the article

Labour face huge losses to SNP at Westminster - poll
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

giselle97 wrote:I believe (TM) that each time someone from the inside of Labour does EM advice and bashing in public and straight to the press (eg Danczuk, Murphy, Watson) then they are doing what you say you haven't seen, "real movement to force him out". How much crap can one person take?
"Real movement to force him out" isn't, in my book, a handful of small fish trying to look like big ones; Danczuk and crew don't matter to anybody apart from themselves, they are just useful idiots at the beck and call of the media. Watson is slightly different, and I haven't yet totally worked out what is driving him, but part of it is certainly an ego trip; whatever, I've lost a lot of respect for him over the past few months, notwithstanding the good work he is doing in some quarters he is also doing a fair bit of damage, all to make himself look good.

"Real movement ..." would be obvious signs of dissension at the top, people positioning themselves to strike at the first sign of weakness; that is what is happening with the Tories with several candidates as near as damnit declaring their intention to run for the leadership ....... May, Gove, Hammond, Johnson and (not least) Osborne are all circling like sharks smelling blood and not trying to disguise that fact.

That is not happening, not as far as I can see, with the Labour Party; there have been a couple of media driven attempts to suggest alternative candidates, notably Burnham and Johnson, and both of them quickly and categorically denied any such ambitions. Every time these stories surface it looks, to me, like obvious attempts on the part of Crosby and Shapps-Green to undermine the man who is leading a unified party to potential victory, and who scares the pants off them; my worry is that they've managed to cement their fiction as fact in people's minds, and the conversations here this week have done nothing to allay my concerns.

OK. I've said my piece, and I shall say nothing further on the matter. I may be misinterpreting things, I hope I am, but to be honest I'm growing increasingly despondent and more than a little scared for the future of this country.

Edit - Sorry, I realise you weren't accusing me of naivety; it is a charge that has been levelled at me so often of late, by people who think their view is the only valid one, that I'm beginning to wonder if they may be right. I may give up politics and take up knitting.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Hi Temulkar. :) Just wanted to say that I think the BBC's treatment of these debates is appallingly unfair. (I won't be watching any of them though as got sickened by the last ones!).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I did protest at the conversation but to be honest I didn't check who had started it and meant no offence to anyone and I do hope none was taken. It was just shear frustration that in "our" left leaning (and Greening) haven, talk of replacing Ed was bringing (what seemed to be) serious suggestions on just who would take over.
I've not posted much since as its all too depressing.
Back to lurkdom now as the black dogs snap at my ankles.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sheila Gilmore has lots of info on her web site about ESA, Labours position is right at the end
http://www.sheilagilmore.co.uk/my-work-on-esa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dear God - and I'm an atheist - I feel like Alice in Wonderland falling down the rabbit hole .... :? :?

"Ukip Accuse Tories Of Extremism After 'Swamped' Immigration Warning"
"Tory ministers are poisoning the immigration debate by issuing "offensive" warnings about Britain being "swamped" by immigrants, a senior Ukip figure has warned."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... tml?&ir=UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Dear God - and I'm an atheist - I feel like Alice in Wonderland falling down the rabbit hole .... :? :?

"Tory ministers are poisoning the immigration debate by issuing "offensive" warnings about Britain being "swamped" by immigrants, a senior Ukip figure has warned."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... tml?&ir=UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is beyond parody, and the media is complicit.

This sort of thing should be met with loudly voiced derision from all sides. What next, Isis criticising Saudi Arabia for their record on women's rights?
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: It's not getting any better for Ed Mili - Tories retake the lead. CON 33%, LAB 32%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%, LDEM 7%

Before everybody goes off on one, remember a) the margin of error will be ignored in press reports & b) the cons need to have a lead of approx 7 to be biggest party.

In other news Anas Sarwar has resigned as Deputy Leader of Labour in Scotland. Guess its wise to elect both leader & deputy at the same time.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:

I did protest at the conversation but to be honest I didn't check who had started it and meant no offence to anyone and I do hope none was taken. It was just shear frustration that in "our" left leaning (and Greening) haven, talk of replacing Ed was bringing (what seemed to be) serious suggestions on just who would take over.
Let's be pretty clear. The Labour party (as a party) actually want Miliband E. as leader. No-one is perfect - he isn't; but he's a fuck of a sight better than (a) alternatives within Labour at the moment, despite the cretinous wibblings of the Rent-a-tools and Dan "fucking" Hodges and the rest of the right wing caucus lined up against him and all too willingly egged on by the meeja and (b) the alternatives for government in 2015 are simply horrific. There's seriously no alternative and it surprises me that anyone outside that bubble might think so.

Consider Cameron. Did he look prime ministerial in 2009? No. Does he now? Certainly not, but he's the incumbent, and so long as pollsters ask dumb shit questions like "who looks like a prime minister?" then they're always going to get the obvious answer: the prime minister.

I'm very happy to debate the failings of Labour as a party - fuck it, I live through most of them - but it strikes me that the only thing that stands in the way of Labour getting a working majority next year is the MSM and coalition successfully nailing the blame on Labour for what was a global economic disaster. A global one. Not a UK one. One that hit pretty much every post industrial nation on the planet, and the meeja seem pretty much in on that bullshit.

As for Scotland: let me remind everyone that once or twice in electoral history in the last 100 years has it made a difference in either parliamentary votes or the outcome of a general election, so can we nail that one? If the Scots abandon Labour for the SNP, then that's unfortunate, but they willpay a horribly heavy price for it if the SNP become emboldened and force another independence vote - as I always suspected they would, if they didn't get the answer they wanted first time round.

The SNP and UKIP share the same monomaniac aims. They absolutely won't give up on them and there could be votes on EU membership and Scottish independence every 6 months stating stay in the EU and the UK, but their very raison d'etre is to oppose those things. That is why they exist, and until the arguments they put forward are clearly understood to be utter bullshit, then they'll keep on.

Labour has to and should present a sane but not timid left wing set of policies. Who can argue against more social housing? Against NHS/social care wraparound provision? Against better tax enforcement? You can even take it out to getting shut of Trident, I'd agree. I'd have all the rail franchises back as a new state owned system, as they fail, one by one. Re-regulated bus services, nationwide. The Living Wage and not a NMW. Get our utilities back under the severest regulation and price control. Rent controls to kill off the shysters; smacking BTL landlords into the middle of next week. There's so much room to act and to make people's live so much better.

All it takes is willpower and the clearsightedness to pursue the aims. No other party either will or is capable of doing all of this, so I'll keep in there. If they fail me, I will duck out if I can't get my way, but I'm so far off that and I look askance at those who do bale to Respect and the Greens. It's perfectly respectable from a moralistic point of view, but the worst possible choices in respect of the massive decision that we'll be making next May.

And this is all in the knowledge that the PPC in my constituency is a complete cockend. Compromises come in many sizes.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Let's be pretty clear. The Labour party (as a party) actually want Miliband E. as leader. No-one is perfect - he isn't; but he's a fuck of a sight better than (a) alternatives within Labour at the moment, despite the cretinous wibblings of the Rent-a-tools and Dan "fucking" Hodges and the rest of the right wing caucus lined up against him and all too willingly egged on by the meeja and (b) the alternatives for government in 2015 are simply horrific. There's seriously no alternative and it surprises me that anyone outside that bubble might think so.

Consider Cameron. Did he look prime ministerial in 2009? No. Does he now? Certainly not, but he's the incumbent, and so long as pollsters ask dumb shit questions like "who looks like a prime minister?" then they're always going to get the obvious answer: the prime minister.

I'm very happy to debate the failings of Labour as a party - fuck it, I live through most of them - but it strikes me that the only thing that stands in the way of Labour getting a working majority next year is the MSM and coalition successfully nailing the blame on Labour for what was a global economic disaster. A global one. Not a UK one. One that hit pretty much every post industrial nation on the planet, and the meeja seem pretty much in on that bullshit.

As for Scotland: let me remind everyone that once or twice in electoral history in the last 100 years has it made a difference in either parliamentary votes or the outcome of a general election, so can we nail that one? If the Scots abandon Labour for the SNP, then that's unfortunate, but they willpay a horribly heavy price for it if the SNP become emboldened and force another independence vote - as I always suspected they would, if they didn't get the answer they wanted first time round.

The SNP and UKIP share the same monomaniac aims. They absolutely won't give up on them and there could be votes on EU membership and Scottish independence every 6 months stating stay in the EU and the UK, but their very raison d'etre is to oppose those things. That is why they exist, and until the arguments they put forward are clearly understood to be utter bullshit, then they'll keep on.

Labour has to and should present a sane but not timid left wing set of policies. Who can argue against more social housing? Against NHS/social care wraparound provision? Against better tax enforcement? You can even take it out to getting shut of Trident, I'd agree. I'd have all the rail franchises back as a new state owned system, as they fail, one by one. Re-regulated bus services, nationwide. The Living Wage and not a NMW. Get our utilities back under the severest regulation and price control. Rent controls to kill off the shysters; smacking BTL landlords into the middle of next week. There's so much room to act and to make people's live so much better.

All it takes is willpower and the clearsightedness to pursue the aims. No other party either will or is capable of doing all of this, so I'll keep in there. If they fail me, I will duck out if I can't get my way, but I'm so far off that and I look askance at those who do bale to Respect and the Greens. It's perfectly respectable from a moralistic point of view, but the worst possible choices in respect of the massive decision that we'll be making next May.

And this is all in the knowledge that the PPC in my constituency is a complete cockend. Compromises come in many sizes.
I agree with all of that Ernst, my slight concern is that the planned policies are designed to not scare the hallowed markets and media commentators, instead of the radical change needed.

Fully implement Leveson and set the maximum individual political policy donation at a sensibly low threshold, add in various repealing of coalition disasters. Then we're talking
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Dear God - and I'm an atheist - I feel like Alice in Wonderland falling down the rabbit hole .... :? :?

Sure that's not from The Daily Mash?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Well said Ernst,

Fundamentals people.

The election doesn't start until April, nobody is seriously thinking about choosing a government right now.

Labour will have a strong compelling set of populist policies, Cameron will have a rag tag set of right wing grievances and a dose of nasty party bile.

Scotland will come back, not all the way, the SNP will do very well (thanks to the Lib Dem collapse); but enough to prevent total meltdown.

The UKIP factor is going to do weird stuff everywhere but it hurts the Tories 2:1 versus Labour.

Cameron has no chance of a majority, and the SNP won't be able to go into coalition with him. Ed Miliband may just end up on top by May.

So chill out, pet the dog/horse/cat/partner and remember a week is a long time in politics, a winter an age.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh FFS!

Susan Kramer has just used the "Liam Byrne left a note saying there's no more money"!

:wall:

And Owen Patterson can fuck right off too - "clearing up labour's mess".

You've been in government for 4 1/2 years - take some bloody responsibility for what's happening now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh FFS!

Susan Kramer has just used the "Liam Byrne left a note saying there's no more money"!

You've been in government for 4 1/2 years - take some bloody responsibility for what's happening now.
Was that Newsnight? MsRemarx is watching Fanny Hill, so I missed it. It's just poliiticking. Cheap slogans might reinforce your devoted vote, but they're not going to shift thinking voters, and I suspect that trite bollocks like that only acts to reinforce the view that all politicians are fakes with a line to spin.

It's bollocks. I've been a councillor for about 2 3/4 years, and I've rarely been asked to respond in a particular way to a line of questioning. Usually, we're asked to pass it on to the relevant department for a comment - eminently sensible.

This is what I was getting at before. This is the Westminster village taking to itself on TV. It's reason why politics is despised by many voters. Right up until the time when you rescue their eggs and bacon out of the fire for them, that is, as I managed recently with the woman whose African husband was being fucked about by the Home Office. Sort of brings it home then.

As you may know, our borough (Bury) recently went to 3 weekly general (not food waste) bin collections. Prior to it happening, the local (shitty) paper did a poll of people asking if they thought it a good idea. 90% against. It's now been implemented and so they asked people, is it working out for you? Answer, 75% yes, and that will probably rise as individual cases are dealt with.

I'm actually quite proud to have something groundbreaking in England like that and that it will improve recycling. Our local Greens have been very quiet on the subject, preferring to wank on about Bury Library. Shows where their priorities lie by a long chalk. I can pretty much guarantee that in 2 years time, most councils will do the same, particularly if they're already implementing recycling policies as part of the bins policiy.

Pickles' response? Bury 'will stink' next Summer. The fat, useless pile of blubber can fuck off. He cut £50,000,000 from our budget, the useless, hidebound, reactionary, overweight, undertalented, venal pile of festering shite that he is. I'd use the 'c' word, but I don't wish to offend. Well, were it Jabba, I'd call him that to his face. He hates us and he's shown it.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Whoa.

Sorry if my intemperate language has killed the thread. It wasn't intended.

Finally, a Radio 4 joke. A duck goes into a chemists. Do you have anything for infected lips, he asks. Yes sir, says the pharmacist, directing him to a particular product. Fine say the duck, I'll take it.

How are you paying? asks the pharmacist. You can fill in the rest.

My favourite joke?

What's brown and sticky?

A stick.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh FFS!

Was that Newsnight? MsRemarx is watching Fanny Hill, so I missed it. It's just poliiticking. Cheap slogans might reinforce your devoted vote, but they're not going to shift thinking voters, and I suspect that trite bollocks like that only acts to reinforce the view that all politicians are fakes with a line to spin.

It's bollocks. I've been a councillor for about 2 3/4 years, and I've rarely been asked to respond in a particular way to a line of questioning. Usually, we're asked to pass it on to the relevant department for a comment - eminently sensible.

This is what I was getting at before. This is the Westminster village taking to itself on TV. It's reason why politics is despised by many voters. Right up until the time when you rescue their eggs and bacon out of the fire for them, that is, as I managed recently with the woman whose African husband was being fucked about by the Home Office. Sort of brings it home then.

As you may know, our borough (Bury) recently went to 3 weekly general (not food waste) bin collections. Prior to it happening, the local (shitty) paper did a poll of people asking if they thought it a good idea. 90% against. It's now been implemented and so they asked people, is it working out for you? Answer, 75% yes, and that will probably rise as individual cases are dealt with.

I'm actually quite proud to have something groundbreaking in England like that and that it will improve recycling. Our local Greens have been very quiet on the subject, preferring to wank on about Bury Library. Shows where their priorities lie by a long chalk. I can pretty much guarantee that in 2 years time, most councils will do the same, particularly if they're already implementing recycling policies as part of the bins policiy.

Pickles' response? Bury 'will stink' next Summer. The fat, useless pile of blubber can fuck off. He cut £50,000,000 from our budget, the useless, hidebound, reactionary, overweight, undertalented, venal pile of festering shite that he is. I'd use the 'c' word, but I don't wish to offend. Well, were it Jabba, I'd call him that to his face. He hates us and he's shown it.
They were two of the guests on Question Time. Caused me to shout at the telly. Again. And elicited a huge groan from what sounded like a large proportion of the audience...

Your bins policy is interesting and one to watch – I certainly hadn't heard of it but am glad it's working so successfully. And I'm pleased that you're separating out food-waste, too. Here we have one general recycling bin to each 'square' – that's two small blocks averaging 18 'dwellings' in total facing each other – but four paladins for general-waste. The recycling bins are usually full-to-overflowing within three days whereas the paladins are usually just over half-full by the time the weekly collection happens. We've recently persuaded the Council to collect the recycling weekly (instead of fortnightly) but it's on a trial basis. Of course, once someone has lugged their recycling bag(s) down to the bin but found it full, they just tip it into the general-waste paladins instead. A few of us do take it back indoors but that just means we are putting even more in when we finally find the bin has space in it... This borough doesn't operate a food-waste scheme, unlike the borough next door which does general-waste, general-recycling, food-waste, and green-waste. We will carry on pressing our council to 'extend their recycling offer'...

And I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of Pickles!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Whoa.

Sorry if my intemperate language has killed the thread. It wasn't intended.

Finally, a Radio 4 joke. A duck goes into a chemists. Do you have anything for infected lips, he asks. Yes sir, says the pharmacist, directing him to a particular product. Fine say the duck, I'll take it.

How are you paying? asks the pharmacist. You can fill in the rest.

My favourite joke?

What's brown and sticky?

A stick.
:rofl:

And you didn't kill the thread, I was just typing v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y...

My favourite (short) joke:

What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Oh, South Yorkshire PCC results are due tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.