Friday 31st October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 31st October 2014

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Robinson @bbcnickrobinson · 53m 53 minutes ago
Is time catching up with the longest-serving Home Secretary for more than 50 years? Theresa suddenly doesn't look so Teflon.
I think she may need a blast of the FTN Home Secretary's water cannon. But sadly ... no one has imported the wonderful water cannon smiley from yesterday. Sniff.

Code: Select all

:hose:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Robinson @bbcnickrobinson · 53m 53 minutes ago
Is time catching up with the longest-serving Home Secretary for more than 50 years? Theresa suddenly doesn't look so Teflon.
I think she may need a blast of the FTN Home Secretary's water cannon. But sadly ... no one has imported the wonderful water cannon smiley from yesterday. Sniff.

Code: Select all

Thank you, thank you refit. I promise you your next passport renewal will receive priority treatment without you having to pay the optional extra charge. Just a click of my kitten heels and it will be done.
Working on the wild side.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: This day just keeps getting better and better.
I dunno about that Tizme. Another couple of months delay so it puts back the date when anything damaging emerges from it.

Not sure that wasn't part of the intention when she was chosen.
I don't think so - I'm voting for Dodgy Daves capacity for unremitting vapid arrogant smarmy omnishambolic frackwitted out-of-touchery - he couldn't effectively think a whole thought...surely time for Cobra...or another fish-pointing photoshoot...something - anything :toss:
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Extract from my in-box -
This is a reminder that Portsmouth Labour Party is holding its annual Xmas Dinner on December 16, as a social event and fund-raiser.

All members are welcome!

This year our speaker is Rachel Reeves, Shadow Secretary for Work and Pensions.

Please find details attached.
I shan't be going (my off-the-shoulder boiler suit will be in for alterations on that day) but I'll try to plant a few questions\suggestions with someone who is going, just in case they get the chance to ask\make them.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tizme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment
Farm Terrace plot-holders in Watford quash decision by Eric Pickles to turn site into housing and car park (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... es-housing

Edited to, hopefully, get quote right,
Thanks PorFavor,

I've been trying to get a chance to let you all know since this morning but as you might imagine, I've got 'phone calls, texts and emails flying at me left right and centre! Pity poor Sara Jane - she also has to deal with all the press and twitter etc. Twice we've won now but no doubt the Dotty Mare will still try to get her own way. Anyway, I'll read through the rest of today's comments in a moment but first I need to do yet another celebratory 'jig'. :dance:
Massive congratulations on your victory, Tizme! I remember how excited and relieved we were when we finally got a guarantee that applications to build on ours would not be countenanced, quite a few years back. Probably helped that we had had a heavy wet winter followed by mostly raining all year and another wet winter so the allotments were (mostly) under two feet of water. Why so badly flooded, the inspectors asked. Well, it is the lowest part of the old water-meadows – and, after all, this is what water-meadows are for...

Enjoy your celebrations! :clap: :dance: :rock:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 24m 24 minutes ago
CORRECTION. CON up 2 in latest Rochester poll not down 2.
CON 33% (+2), LAB 16% (-9), LD 1% (-2), UKIP 48% (+8), GRE 2% (+2)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Watson, MP and author
@tom_watson
There are many people in Westminster who would be happy to see the #CSA inquiry derailed. Theresa May is not one of them. Stay focused team.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Evening all. Just catching up with today's events. The foaming still going on on Twitter from Kippers who are dumbstruck at the thought that their tank blitzkrieg failed to reach Labour's lawn in the PCC election is beautiful to behold. I particularly like how they're making vile statements about everyone who failed to vote for them. Keep it up lads, that's a winning strategy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt retweeted
Frances Crook @francescrook · 58m 58 minutes ago
I have never had dinner with Leon Brittan
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Swarbrick
‏@TomsonSwarb
LBC EXCL: Michael Mansfield QC tells @IainDale that "yes, absolutely" he would take on the #CSAinquiry if asked " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @LBC
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:I hope he won't mind me saying here, but I heard from Temulkar earlier and he's had a fantastically positive advance review from a prominent source on his historical novel manuscript. Any more novelists here? We'll be able to have a FTN literary festival before long.
That's good to hear. Well done him.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

RobertSnozers wrote:I hope he won't mind me saying here, but I heard from Temulkar earlier and he's had a fantastically positive advance review from a prominent source on his historical novel manuscript. Any more novelists here? We'll be able to have a FTN literary festival before long.
Congratulations from me too. I am also a novellist, of primarily comic fiction, albeit a self-published writer. Still, I have a half dozen books in our local library in Stockport.Tney've even been borrowed...
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've just had a very strange experience. Reading thru comments on Readers Edition of G politics blog - and there were all these commenters I know and respect (mainly) agreeing with OpenSeas - yes, that's right, agreeing with OpenSeas.

What had prompted this historic moment?

OpenSeas was celebrating the crash of Beta and a return to the 'normal' format ....

Let's hope Beta remains crashed for quite a while. It's not going to be a permanent gone though - it'll be back.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.

(By the way - where's ohsocynical? Has anyone heard from her? I hope she's ok.)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

(By the way - where's ohsocynical? Has anyone heard from her? I hope she's ok.)
Night PF.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Congratulations to @Temulkar from me, too! :rock:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, @PF – sleep well, dream sweetly :)
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... es-housing

Edited to, hopefully, get quote right,
Thanks PorFavor,

I've been trying to get a chance to let you all know since this morning but as you might imagine, I've got 'phone calls, texts and emails flying at me left right and centre! Pity poor Sara Jane - she also has to deal with all the press and twitter etc. Twice we've won now but no doubt the Dotty Mare will still try to get her own way. Anyway, I'll read through the rest of today's comments in a moment but first I need to do yet another celebratory 'jig'. :dance:
Massive congratulations on your victory, Tizme! I remember how excited and relieved we were when we finally got a guarantee that applications to build on ours would not be countenanced, quite a few years back. Probably helped that we had had a heavy wet winter followed by mostly raining all year and another wet winter so the allotments were (mostly) under two feet of water. Why so badly flooded, the inspectors asked. Well, it is the lowest part of the old water-meadows – and, after all, this is what water-meadows are for...

Enjoy your celebrations! :clap: :dance: :rock:
Thanks Lady C. I've just poured my celebratory glass of wine. Glad to hear your allotments are safe. The Farm Terrace win is a huge boost for allotment holders all over the Country and something of a bench mark case. The crazy thing is, a large part of the area that the Dotty Mare wants to build on, is a flood plain. Large parts of it were flooded earlier this year including the area where the new link road will go. Getting rid of the allotments is insane. If these plans go ahead as they are, we will have flooding right through the high street in the future. Still, for tonight I'm going to just enjoy our victory.

I'd like to add my congrats to temulkar too. More good news. :clap:
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Congrats Temulkar, Tizme1 and MBC1955!! whoot! well done all :D

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:
(Edit to add ......

and Robert as well)
:clap:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm not a fan of Jon Cruddas, but this leaves me in like...what? pardon? say again ?.. mode. I just wish he would put a sock in it, or speak clearly, or get out. (Probably very unfair but I really don't like his pretentious manors).
"Jon Cruddas: Ed Miliband faces a dilemma as the political ground shifts
The head of Labour’s policy review discussed the way forward for the party, as the English regional cabinet committee met in Manchester"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... icy-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Crispin Flintoff
‏@Fruitandvegdon Great picture of the charming @Ed_Miliband.
Daily Mail/Sun/Express/Times/Metro/etc.. won't use it.
Please RT!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 32339.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Council house sell off scandal right to buy Council houses leave nowhere for poor to live "
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I seem to have sent everyone home... still, here's another one for your enjoyment

Elected senate would replace House of Lords under Labour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29857849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(after spending my whole life wanting the lords disbanded, after the last 4.5 years I've come to hold (some of) them with some regard)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:I'm not a fan of Jon Cruddas, but this leaves me in like...what? pardon? say again ?.. mode. I just wish he would put a sock in it, or speak clearly, or get out. (Probably very unfair but I really don't like his pretentious manors).
The head of Labour’s policy review discussed the way forward for the party, as the English regional cabinet committee met in Manchester"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... icy-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I disagree, I think he's one of the good guys. I accept he can be a bit cerebral sometimes, and leave a yawning gap between the ideas and 'truths' he has identified and meaningful action to build on them, but in this case there is real, hard policy to the communitarian idealism - local investment banks, more local planning control over high streets etc. He's a proper lefty, or the closest we get to them these days, and he has an impact on policy.
Happy to agree to differ... ;)
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

AngryAsWell wrote:I'm not a fan of Jon Cruddas, but this leaves me in like...what? pardon? say again ?.. mode. I just wish he would put a sock in it, or speak clearly, or get out. (Probably very unfair but I really don't like his pretentious manors).

Get out would be my preferred option AAW!

That reminds me ......... Tom Watson is coming to our Fund Raiser for Lisa Forbes in Peterborough.

Would anyone on FTN like to give me some questions for him?

I can't be trusted to put mine in words without embarrassing Lisa who is actually a lovely and very dedicated lady with fabulous kids and a good, supportive husband. She's out canvassing in all weathers most days and nights and really takes "helping people" very, very seriously. She has some really lively spats with Jackson - just as I do, but her stories get published in the Peterborough ToryGraph!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

giselle97 wrote:

Get out would be my preferred option AAW!

That reminds me ......... Tom Watson is coming to our Fund Raiser for Lisa Forbes in Peterborough.

Would anyone on FTN like to give me some questions for him?

I can't be trusted to put mine in words without embarrassing Lisa who is actually a lovely and very dedicated lady with fabulous kids and a good, supportive husband. She's out canvassing in all weathers most days and nights and really takes "helping people" very, very seriously. She has some really lively spats with Jackson - just as I do, but her stories get published in the Peterborough ToryGraph!
How about "can you please just keep your criticisms to yourself, at least until after the election?"
(Can remember what he said now but made me very cross a couple of weeks ago - although it can't have been that bad if I can't remember it :oops: :lol: :lol: )
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Crispin Flintoff
‏@Fruitandvegdon Great picture of the charming @Ed_Miliband.
Daily Mail/Sun/Express/Times/Metro/etc.. won't use it.
Please RT!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovely photo and the children seem to be content and cheerful in his presence. Actually, on second glance, the young lady on the front row with the gorgeous coloured hair has an expression on her face which I think possibly matches the one on mine (with wrinkles) when I see Ed close up. :!:

And PK1 that was a lovely photo you posted of him smiling broadly in the driving seat, thanks.

I wish I could download both pics but don't know if it's possible on a tablet.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Councils forced to sell houses cheaply to tenants then rent them back

Councils are selling off their already limited supplies of housing stock and allowing former council tenants to become buy-to-let landlords

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/pro ... -back.html
... At least 32 councils now rent or pay out housing benefit to tenants living in homes sold since the Government revamped the Right to Buy scheme in 2012, Freedom of Information requests show.
Although there are rules to deter the immediate sale of properties bought under Right to Buy, renting is unregulated, so the Government’s generous discounts on sales have created a new breed of right-to-buy landlords, branded a “national scandal” by council leaders...
Why aren't the taxpayers alliance up in arms about 'our money' being wasted like this ... and, worse, going to housing benefit scroungers (AKA buy to let mega landlords)?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Right .... off now to find out why my tablet case is boiling hot - because it also keeps freezing up. Seeyah!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

giselle97 wrote:Right .... off now to find out why my tablet case is boiling hot - because it also keeps freezing up. Seeyah!
Hope it's OK.....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

OK, back now from (i) internet misbehaving earlier and (i)listening to a post-grad seminar lecture.

Woolf? Thought the killer blow was that letter which had to be (i) written for her the first time and then (ii) constantly having to be rewritten. From her background in law she didn't seem the right person anyway. Get Mansfield to do it - definitely not part of the establishment with the cases he's taken on before.

Great result in the PCC. Now Labour need to commit to removing hem post-election (assuming etc). They were, as someone put it, the answer to a question nobody had asked.

It'd be interesting to see whether elected school commissioners would get a higher turnout - I think maybe they would since no-one really cares about the police until something happens to them personally...but the majority of people have kids and care about what happens in their local schools.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:OK, back now from (i) internet misbehaving earlier and (i)listening to a post-grad seminar lecture.

Woolf? Thought the killer blow was that letter which had to be (i) written for her the first time and then (ii) constantly having to be rewritten. From her background in law she didn't seem the right person anyway. Get Mansfield to do it - definitely not part of the establishment with the cases he's taken on before.

Great result in the PCC. Now Labour need to commit to removing hem post-election (assuming etc). They were, as someone put it, the answer to a question nobody had asked.

It'd be interesting to see whether elected school commissioners would get a higher turnout - I think maybe they would since no-one really cares about the police until something happens to them personally...but the majority of people have kids and care about what happens in their local schools.
I heard a segment on Radio 4 re the Woolf resignation earlier which was prefaced with something like - Wanted ... new head of child abuse panel - key requirements include ability to write own letters ....

Agree with you - an absolute killer blow. Since when did it become acceptable for the institution which should be checking out an individual to write the reference for said individual so that they could then check it out?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:. Get Mansfield to do it - definitely not part of the establishment with the cases he's taken on before.
But Mansfield still has one of the problems that Woolf had, which is that he has no background in family law at all. I don't doubt his eminence or (otherwise) his suitability for a second, but I suspect it would be a cold day in hell before the tories appointed him to head an investigation.

*shrug* Get someone from a related jurisdiction, who has all of the seniority but none of the connections. Get someone from Scotland/Australia/New Zealand ... or someone senior from the bar here but not yet on the bench. I was going to say David Hershman, who wrote the definitive book on The Children Act and modern children's law, but I've looked him up and sadly he died some time ago.
I still believe in a town called Hope
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

adam wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:. Get Mansfield to do it - definitely not part of the establishment with the cases he's taken on before.
But Mansfield still has one of the problems that Woolf had, which is that he has no background in family law at all. I don't doubt his eminence or (otherwise) his suitability for a second, but I suspect it would be a cold day in hell before the tories appointed him to head an investigation.

*shrug* Get someone from a related jurisdiction, who has all of the seniority but none of the connections. Get someone from Scotland/Australia/New Zealand ... or someone senior from the bar here but not yet on the bench. I was going to say David Hershman, who wrote the definitive book on The Children Act and modern children's law, but I've looked him up and sadly he died some time ago.
This doesn't need an expert in family law, it arguably doesn't need any sort of judge. It needs a forensic and analytic investigator prepared to start digging and to follow ever lead fearlessly.

Could we not find a Kiwi policeman or some such individual?
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:OK, back now from (i) internet misbehaving earlier and (i)listening to a post-grad seminar lecture.

I heard a segment on Radio 4 re the Woolf resignation earlier which was prefaced with something like - Wanted ... new head of child abuse panel - key requirements include ability to write own letters ....

Agree with you - an absolute killer blow. Since when did it become acceptable for the institution which should be checking out an individual to write the reference for said individual so that they could then check it out?
I don't have much time for John Pinaar but his interview with Woolf earlier today was good. She was incredibly evasive about those letters because it pretty much ended all pretense at independence on her part.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... n-pictures

Dear God, Kick Ass 2 was a documentary.

Who knew.
Release the Guardvarks.