Friday 31st October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 31st October 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:According to the BBC David Cameron is unwavering (or glossy and unbending, or something) in his support for Fiona Woolf. The legal representative of the survivors was interviewed and was very good.

Apologies if I make more errors than usual. I've somehow reduced the font-size to microscopic and don't know how to undo it. I can't see a bloody thing.
Yes, I agree, the legal representative of the survivors was very good. He rounded up the concerns by saying that if it were a court case and Woolf had been selected as the judge - she would have had to recuse herself by dint of knowing some of the key people concerned in it ...

Yet Cameron, May and co at the Home Office think we are stupid enough not to spot or care about the double standards - such principles don't apply here it seems.
Working on the wild side.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:students at my daughter's university have been told not to use the phrase "brain-storming"
"brain showering" sounds very socks-and-sandals.

(apologies in advance to anyone wearing both).

No socks and my late Uncle's slippers FWIW.
WARNING: Socks + sandals
http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour wins South Yorkshire PCC by-election
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/isabel-har ... -election/
You'll need deep cleaning with that 'body renewing bar' after you read BTL on this. Shame - the report is pretty straightforward and unknocking in itself.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here we go
Labour have clung onto the post of South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, but Ukip saw a surge in support.
Torygraph
'clung onto' .....????

That's pretty pathetic reporting given they got over 50% of the vote.
The Labour vote is virtually unchanged from 2012, 74615 (51.35% of the 145294) then, 74060 (50.02% of 148062) now; that is damned impressive, considering the background to the election, the resources UKIP threw at it and the 'interesting' nature of their campaign. No complacency, presumably some of Labour's vote last time has to have gone to UKIP, but the fact there was no LD candidate seems to have compensated for that.

Congratulations to Alan Billings on a good and positive campaign (that offer to give half the salary to charity was a doozie), and I hope that he can begin to make a difference in restoring faith in those communities during (hopefully short) time in office.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Another for the list...I've lost count now...

http://inforrm.wordpress.com/2014/10/31 ... urt-hears/
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment
Farm Terrace plot-holders in Watford quash decision by Eric Pickles to turn site into housing and car park (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... es-housing

Edited to, hopefully, get quote right,
Thanks PorFavor,

I've been trying to get a chance to let you all know since this morning but as you might imagine, I've got 'phone calls, texts and emails flying at me left right and centre! Pity poor Sara Jane - she also has to deal with all the press and twitter etc. Twice we've won now but no doubt the Dotty Mare will still try to get her own way. Anyway, I'll read through the rest of today's comments in a moment but first I need to do yet another celebratory 'jig'. :dance:
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tizme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Farm Terrace plot-holders in Watford quash decision by Eric Pickles to turn site into housing and car park (Guardian)

Thanks PorFavor,

I've been trying to get a chance to let you all know since this morning but as you might imagine, I've got 'phone calls, texts and emails flying at me left right and centre! Pity poor Sara Jane - she also has to deal with all the press and twitter etc. Twice we've won now but no doubt the Dotty Mare will still try to get her own way. Anyway, I'll read through the rest of today's comments in a moment but first I need to do yet another celebratory 'jig'. :dance:
Congratulations to all of you who took on the fight. You really deserve this win. Yes - sounds as though Watford council are determined to appeal ... but don't let that worry you now - enjoy this.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tizme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Thanks PorFavor,

Congratulation Tizme. Hopefully it will stick at some point.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AK's update:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The PCC excitement (?) aside, five local council byelections yesterday:

Telford and Wrekin - two separate vacancies here, the first was a Labour hold in an (unusually for them) a fairly rural ward with a tiny Tory-Labour swing since a straight fight in 2011 after UKIP intervened and scored over 18%. Notable that Labour won much more easily in 2003 than 2007 or '11 - that indicates this area is not moving favourably for them demographically, so they will be pleased at this result. The other seat saw an Independent gain from the Tories, in a seat that had seen the Tories beat Labour by almost 2 to 1 in a straight fight last time and even more easily in 2007 (though an Indy won it in 2003) Tory share down by well over half, not far ahead of UKIP who got nearly 24% in another first effort; Labour also collapsing to less than 10% (the fact the Independent was, unusually, distinctly left-leaning may be a factor there)

Castle Point DC - Independent gain from (hopefully this is not too confusing) Canvey Island Independents, this means the council remains hung (a Tory win would have given them an overall majority) CII have won this ward - by big margins in recent years - in every election since 2004, so this was a bit of a surprise; their vote more than halved since their two thirds share this May. Tories (who swept the all-outs here in 2003, but no success since) third with 21% - almost no change - whilst Labour last with their vote dropping further; the days when they ran this council seem very distant now.

Neath/Port Talbot - Labour hold, with both their share and the fairly derisory one of the third placed Tories little changed on a previous by-election here a year ago, whilst UKIP moved to fill the gap previously occupied by Independent and Residents candiates (2012, 2008 and 2004 have all seen this three member ward topped by a locally popular Indy, followed by two Labour seats) and took second with over 34%, a big increase on 2013 but still well behind Labour. This used to be the base of the local "celebrity" candidate Captain Beany, who took the runners up spot last year under his real name - no show this time, though.

North Ayrshire - SNP hold in a small town/rural ward that contains the tourist friendly Cumbrae islands; though given the recent poll findings that have caused so much excitement north of the border, it may be worth noting that their share was down on 2012 - though not much on 2007 when they did worse against the trend - in a division where they have returned 2 out of 4 councillors on both occasions. Independents - 4th last time - move into the runners up spot, just ahead of the Tories who improved slightly on 2012 (as they have done in most by-elections since then) whilst Labour dropped from 2nd to 4th - though there was actually no Labour to SNP swing overall! UKIP last with less than 4%.

Just two contests next week.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

UKIP are really p***ed off at not being allowed a recount, which is nice :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The reasons why UKIP lost the South Yorkshire PCC election
http://ajustfuture.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... south.html
With thanks to Brownbread - btl at the G - for the above link.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thomas Cook loses appeal in disability discrimination case.

http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.asp ... s&id=50936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

"Your bins policy is interesting and one to watch – I certainly hadn't heard of it but am glad it's working so successfully. And I'm pleased that you're separating out food-waste, too. Here we have one general recycling bin to each 'square' – that's two small blocks averaging 18 'dwellings' in total facing each other – but four paladins for general-waste. The recycling bins are usually full-to-overflowing within three days whereas the paladins are usually just over half-full by the time the weekly collection happens. We've recently persuaded the Council to collect the recycling weekly (instead of fortnightly) but it's on a trial basis. Of course, once someone has lugged their recycling bag(s) down to the bin but found it full, they just tip it into the general-waste paladins instead. A few of us do take it back indoors but that just means we are putting even more in when we finally find the bin has space in it... This borough doesn't operate a food-waste scheme, unlike the borough next door which does general-waste, general-recycling, food-waste, and green-waste. We will carry on pressing our council to 'extend their recycling offer'..."

that was LadyCentauria last night.

Bury's policy is based around 240l wheelie bins, and it works. Gray bin for general waste - that's the one that's now 3 weekly - blue for glass and plastic, green for card and paper all on a 3 weekly cycle. Brown bin is food and garden waste, and that's every 2 weeks. So Bury 'will stink' will it? What of? Plastic wrapping? Styroform packaging? Broken utensils and crockery? You can sense the stench from here.

It'll work, and that's what pisses off the Tories. 12 months hence, when our recycling rate's over 60% and no-one's moaning, all the protests will be forgotten and Pickles will look an even more abject and ridiculous figure than he cuts now. And if it works in Bury, watch the floodgates open elsewhere as other councils do the same. And I hope they all tell Jabba to fuck off.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tim Fenton alluded to a culling over at the Torygraph.

Matthew D'Ancona is off:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

HindleA wrote:Thomas Cook loses appeal in disability discrimination case.

http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.asp ... s&id=50936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The charming comments btl show what we're up against.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Glenn Hanson ‏@gdhanson 2m2 minutes ago
Revealed: Cameron's lies over Euro bill http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/10/3 ... euro-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @MidWalesMike
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:Tim Fenton alluded to a culling over at the Torygraph.

Matthew D'Ancona is off:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iain Dale @IainDale · 31m 31 minutes ago
So which idiot in Telegraph Towers thought "I know, let's get rid of our star political writer 6 months before the election?" Defies belief.
D'Ancona is / was one of the better ones. Have to agree with him there.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 4h 4 hours ago
Irredeemably shameful. RT: “@krishgm: Home Office refusing to even take requests for interviews for Theresa May on the child abuse inquiry”
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Black Cat Day.jpg
Black Cat Day.jpg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 19981 times
Matthew d'Ancona @MatthewdAncona · Oct 30
Every good house has a black cat #blackcatday
Have I missed it?
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Thanks RR2 and Refitman. I certainly intend to raise a glass or three tonight and enjoy this victory. We're all determined to fight on though if needs be. I shall also be celebrating the PCC election outcome.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric Pickles Red-Faced As High Profile Land Scheme Fails To Attract Single Successful Bid
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=uk

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles is under fire after it emerged that a high profile scheme to release any unused public land to the public has failed to free up anything, despite being launched over three years ago.

Launching the "Community Right to Reclaim Land" plan in 2011, then housing minister Grant Shapps suggested that it would help put hundreds of acres of public sector land to use for housing, businesses or leisure facilities...
Not a good day for Pickles then. Why have nearly all the applications made so far been turned down?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory MP Under Fire For Attack On Local Clothes Bank
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=uk
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Fiona Woolf has resigned.

Cameron's timing - spot on again. Pillock.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Fiona Woolf has resigned.

This day just keeps getting better and better.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tizme1 wrote:

I dunno about that Tizme. Another couple of months delay so it puts back the date when anything damaging emerges from it.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Radio 5live news ran the election story as 'Labour hold on by around 300 votes', although they did then go on to explain that this was their majority over 50% of first preferences, and their majority over UKIP was over 17,000.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

frightful_oik wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:

I dunno about that Tizme. Another couple of months delay so it puts back the date when anything damaging emerges from it.
True. I was thinking in terms of how Fiona Woolf was clearly not the right person for the job. Plus the abuse survivors don't have any faith in her. And of course politically speaking its yet another example of Cameron's woeful judgement.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tizme1 wrote:

Might get better yet because apparently Survation will tweet latest voting intention from Survation/Unite Rochester & Strood by-election poll at 6.30pm
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire Oct 30
Jim Murphy needs to do a better job with his own Scotland campaign than he did running David Miliband's leadership bid

Stephen Cavalier ‏@stevecavalier Oct 30
@Kevin_Maguire - does Jim Murphy have a more left-wing brother?

Kevin Maguire
‏@Kevin_Maguire
@stevecavalier As a veggie he'll never have to eat a bacon sarnie in public
:roll:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Black Cat Day.jpg
Have I missed it?

Have read that black cats often miss out on homes because people prefer tabbies & tuxedo cats etc., which is sad.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Black Cat Day.jpg
Have I missed it?

Have read that black cats often miss out on homes because people prefer tabbies & tuxedo cats etc., which is sad.
Yes - but is there really a Black Cat Day? And was it yesterday - or is it today, Halloween? If it's today I will have to mark the occasion with my 3 deepest black furry friends .... look out a tin of their finest for them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jim Murphy needs to do a better job with his own Scotland campaign than he did running David Miliband's leadership bid

Kevin Maguire
‏@Kevin_Maguire
Maguire should be more concerned about how the stock of his poster boy Balls is plummeting, tbh :twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 27s 27 seconds ago
The local NHS rather than immigration the top issue for Rochester voters ahead of by-election. See Survation chart
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Kevin Maguire
‏@Kevin_Maguire
Maguire should be more concerned about how the stock of his poster boy Balls is plummeting, tbh :twisted:
Agree with that. The wounds obviously still ache. And he's possibly not aware of just how dangerous cheese and salad can be.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
EXCLUSIVE: Survation has UKIP moving to 15% CON 33% (-2), LAB 16% (-9), LD 1% (-2), UKIP 48% (+8), GRE 2% (+2) http://www1.politicalbetting.com/?p=72053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eh? - not sure I quite get that. Time to read the full post.

Ah, I see - the full title reads 'EXCLUSIVE: Survation has Mark Reckless moving to a 15% lead in Rochester'.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

frightful_oik wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:

Not sure that wasn't part of the intention when she was chosen.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not sure about that, this is looking pretty bad right now......
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Survation polling in Medway:

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

re black cats

Cat Protection League are holding a Black Cat day at their national centre in Surrey on Sunday.
http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/C ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're helping sponsor a cat pen with CPL and it is occupied by a lovely, feisty 15 year old called Pepper, so if anyone in that area could give her a home....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson @bbcnickrobinson · 53m 53 minutes ago
Is time catching up with the longest-serving Home Secretary for more than 50 years? Theresa suddenly doesn't look so Teflon.
I think she may need a blast of the FTN Home Secretary's water cannon. But sadly ... no one has imported the wonderful water cannon smiley from yesterday. Sniff.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
EXCLUSIVE: Survation has UKIP moving to 15% CON 33% (-2), LAB 16% (-9), LD 1% (-2), UKIP 48% (+8), GRE 2% (+2) http://www1.politicalbetting.com/?p=72053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eh? - not sure I quite get that. Time to read the full post.

Ah, I see - the full title reads 'EXCLUSIVE: Survation has Mark Reckless moving to a 15% lead in Rochester'.

Labour down 9% :( but Lib Dems on 1% :rofl:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

James Cracknell (the real one) has applied for selection to become Tory MP in Bexhill & Battle
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, "our" JC is also "real" AFAIK. Know what you meant, though :)
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:James Cracknell (the real one) has applied for selection to become Tory MP in Bexhill & Battle
Do we know if Mike Reid is planning is planning to stand for UKIP anywhere. East End maybe?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's the LibDemVoice take on South Yorks result ...
Labour hang on in South Yorkshire – my guilty part
http://www.libdemvoice.org/labour-hang- ... 43143.html
It's a combination of sour grapes (nasty Labour 'hung on') and self obsession (because we Lib Dems didn't stand ... and I (Joe Otten) voted).

He might want to take a look at the Lib Dem result in that latest Survation poll for Rochester. 1%. That should wipe a bit of smugness away.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I wonder if Labour might now try "UKIP are now going to win anyway, so you can vote for us" with their sympathisers on the doorstep in R&C?

Depends on how much effort we put in, though - the local candidate is good but the "minimalists" seem to have decided we shouldn't bother here :roll:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here we go
Labour have clung onto the post of South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, but Ukip saw a surge in support.
Torygraph
Scoring a majority over all opponents combined and 40% more than the 2nd placed candidate is clinging on!?!?!? :wall:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No doubt people being there are being served up UKIP propaganda blaming immigrants for problems with local NHS services.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Eh? - not sure I quite get that. Time to read the full post.

Labour down 9% :( but Lib Dems on 1% :rofl:
Considering the NHS is supposedly the top issue in this election, for Labour to be so far down is seriously worrying. That said, byelections aren't known for their sensible and logical outcomes. Anthony Wells always says that people might think or say they are voting based on particular issues, but it doesn't always work out like that in practice.
I noticed a prominent letter from a local UKIPer in the Bury Times, aka, the Shitty Times, this last week, going on about how the NHS is safe with UKIP. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a smokescreen, and if their policies now (assuming have one) are like the 2010 manifesto, then the NHS is manifestly not safe with UKIP as they'll sell the whole bloody thing off even quicker than the Tories - and I imagine for the same financial rewards that the Tories and FibDems have thus far enjoyed.

On edit - removed numerous typos and omissions. Why don't I read before I bloody post???
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

18:21
Michael Mansfield QC, whose name has been mentioned in connection with leading the inquiry, tells BBC Radio 5 Live he wants to know about the other candidates the Home Office approached for the role: "What kind of trawl have they made? Nobody knows this."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-29853512

Yes I'd like to know about that too. According to something else I read - there were just 3 on the list. 2 failed on due diligence.

If they didn't even have the basic understanding that they should consult the survivors as part of the process ... what on earth did they use as their criteria for the role?