Friday 31st October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 31st October 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Tory lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 30th Oct -

Con 33%, (+2)
Lab 32%, (-2)
LD 7%, (+2)
UKIP 15%; (-2)

APP -22 (+6)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 31st October 2014

Post by yahyah »

post deleted as I'd prefer to let it rest now.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.
David Cameron says it would be 'lovely' if interest rates could remain at current low level
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 29844.html
Plonker.
Working on the wild side.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Morning.

I'm not sure if the SNP figures are necessarily good for the Coalition. If it came down to it, I'd love to think that the SNP would rather support Ed than Cameron (poll idea for You gov there) and I can't see the UK going for a version of EV4EL which precludes Scottish MPs from choosing Prime Minister when foreign policy is still controlled by Westminster. Ironically, the best outcome for Cameron would have been full independence.
Last edited by DonutHingeParty on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all.
David Cameron says it would be 'lovely' if interest rates could remain at current low level
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 29844.html
Plonker.
Wonder if older savers with no mortgage think that?

Morning all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

@Dan

I contacted admin a few minutes ago asking for the whole of my thread 'ongoing chat' to be deleted, but on reflection - please leave it.
PM'd the reply.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Abuse victims 'want Woolf to quit'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29844612
Go. Just go.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Morning.

I'm not sure if the SNP figures are necessarily good for the Coalition. If it came down to it, I'd love me know o think that the SNP would rather support Ed than Cameron (poll idea for You gov there) and I can't see the UK going for a version of EV4EL which precludes Scottish MPs from choosing Prime Minister when foreign policy is still controlled by Westminster. Ironically, the best outcome for Cameron would have been full day independence.

I think that's an excellent point - for the Indy Ref, the SNPs' enemy was the 'No' camp (covering all other UK political parties) but in after a GE, I really can't see Wee Eck/Sturgeon voting with whatever remains of the Tories - a more likely scenario would be confidence and supply for Mr Ed...he won't need it though - here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) we subscribe to the AngryAsWell School Of Thought - landslide for Labour, a la Atlee circa 1945.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lonewolfie wrote:

I'm not sure if the SNP figures are necessarily good for the Coalition. If it came down to it, I'd love me know o think that the SNP would rather support Ed than Cameron (poll idea for You gov there) and I can't see the UK going for a version of EV4EL which precludes Scottish MPs from choosing Prime Minister when foreign policy is still controlled by Westminster. Ironically, the best outcome for Cameron would have been full day independence.

I think that's an excellent point - for the Indy Ref, the SNPs' enemy was the 'No' camp (covering all other UK political parties) but in after a GE, I really can't see Wee Eck/Sturgeon voting with whatever remains of the Tories - a more likely scenario would be confidence and supply for Mr Ed...he won't need it though - here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) we subscribe to the AngryAsWell School Of Thought - landslide for Labour, a la Atlee circa 1945.
here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) -I can't help but sort of hear the chimes of the Twin Peaks music every time you write that little descriptor, Wolfie. Please tell me the lady with the log has predicted this landslide ... then I will absolutely trust it. :D
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Abuse victims 'want Woolf to quit'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29844612
Go. Just go.
Lots of comment around about there being a conspiracy to keep it all quiet....I believe(TM) it's just another example of Dipshit Daves cluster-fracking-omnishambolic incompetence. There's also a fair bit around the term 'victims' - I prefer the term 'Survivors'. Woolf will go in the end, but the involvement of the Home Office in the 7 re-drafts (and, actually, the whole letter from start to finish) of the 'personal' letter from Woolf to the HASC (a letter that has now been re-written again) means May is well and truly in the firing line. (Independent Panel chaired by someone independent who I chose for their independence and then wrote the reference about their independence)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I don't feel British and don't want to be.

http://www.channel4.com/news/british-mu ... ojan-horse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posting this and hoping any responses will be reflective not reactive.

These people could be the children of my friends, or my friends, or the people who live and work around me and have done for years. It made me cry, because this is the other side, what it feels to be on the other side of deeply racist attitudes and rhetoric. I won't accept the 'Moslem isn't a race, so it can't be racism' argument. Let's just call it by its true name. It doesn't just affect anyone who is Muslim either, it affects people who look as if they might be Moslem. Basically anyone brown. Often several generations into being British.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:

here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) -I can't help but sort of hear the chimes of the Twin Peaks music every time you write that little descriptor, Wolfie. Please tell me the lady with the log has predicted this landslide ... then I will absolutely trust it. :D
Not sure about the Twin Peaks thing (remember it, but sooo long ago) but AAW might know who has the log - and I know there's also a whip somewhere :D
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning .

For anyone interested and/or stand much more of the Government's sickening hypocrisy.

The Family Test:Assessing the impact of policies on families.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Judicial review today into the use of counting DLA as income in DHP calculations.

http://www.irwinmitchell.com/newsandmed ... edroom-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Lonewolfie wrote: here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) we subscribe to the AngryAsWell School Of Thought - landslide for Labour, a la Atlee circa 1945.
Okay, this is freaky now. How many people on FTN have at one stage lived near Peterborough?
I lived there for about from 2000 to 2006.

Although I remember the fall of Helen Clark Brinton, so unless things have changed dramatically, I don't think that little slice of Cambridgeshire is going to fall to Labour so easily.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote: here in Hope (just north of Peterborough) we subscribe to the AngryAsWell School Of Thought - landslide for Labour, a la Atlee circa 1945.
Okay, this is freaky now. How many people on FTN have at one stage lived near Peterborough?

Although I remember the fall of Helen Clark Brinton, so unless things have changed dramatically, I don't think that little slice of Cambridgeshire is going to fall to Labour so easily.
I do not now, and have never lived in Peterborough (although, I do live in...oh, you know the rest :lol: )
pc2010.PNG
pc2010.PNG (12.21 KiB) Viewed 47038 times
I'm not so sure about it not going to Labour - apparently the Labour candidate is pretty switched on and active, Stewart Jackson is, well, Stewart Jackson, I would think (given the nature of P'boro) UKIP will show well...so, give UKIP the literally deluded vote, swing 5% from Con to Lab and you have a Lab MP. (Not me, of course - I have the (now, seemingly, very quiet) Nick Boles as my 'over 50% of votes polled' Bilderberg-attending and Bilderberg-funded Corporate Delegate....but I even dream sometimes that he might be in the s*** next year...hence living in 'Hope'!
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

DonutHingeParty wrote:

I personally haven't but my sister-in-law does & my mother-in-law lives in Outwell.

Does that count ?

:lol:

Morning all.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Also, on reading last nights boards, there seemed to be a 'short joke' (not GrantMichaelSebastian - that would be insensitive) competition...one of my favourites is....

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Morning, the Landslide Log is waiting at the top of the jam in anticipation of the blockage being cleared next Spring, I understand the otters on hand to start the un jamming process.

In the meantime, it's things like this that make me wish interest rates shoot up over night back to the all time high (thanks Lawson) of 15%.

"Millionaire landlords Fergus and Judith Wilson begin evicting large families
Kent tycoons, also banning those on zero-hours contracts, insist they have no choice – but housing empire known to be for sale"
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/o ... g-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo...I'll get my coat...
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

AngryAsWell wrote:Morning, the Landslide Log is waiting at the top of the jam in anticipation of the blockage being cleared next Spring, I understand the otters on hand to start the un jamming process.

In the meantime, it's things like this that make me wish interest rates shoot up over night back to the all time high (thanks Lawson) of 15%.

Kent tycoons, also banning those on zero-hours contracts, insist they have no choice – but housing empire known to be for sale"
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/o ... g-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry to contradict, AAW, but wasn't the 15% in the time of the lamentable Lamont? Now, who was his SPAD at the time....hmmm (scratches chin)...oh yes, that's it....

Lamont called Major to say the game was up, but Major disagreed and insisted interest rates should rise further to 15%. When the market closed later that afternoon, sterling was still outside its currency band.

At 7.40pm, after Major conceded defeat, Lamont, flanked by Treasury mandarin Gus O'Donnell and his adviser David Cameron, who were later to be Cabinet secretary and coalition prime minister respectively, declared that Britain had suspended its membership of the ERM.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -pound-erm

Definitely with you on the rentiers, though - my flabber is still ghasted about the complete lack of understanding from the rhetoric swallowers that Housing Benefit is paid to these parasites...so if it's cut and their tenants are receiving benefits (while working 1/2/3 jobs) their 'business' model takes a hit.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

Lonewolfie wrote:You can't wash your hands in a buffalo...I'll get my coat...
What do you call a flying monkey?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

If anyone's interested, the Guardian Politics Readers' Edition looks to be today, so far, a Beta-free zone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JackPranker wrote:
Ok -

I don't know. What do you call a flying monkey?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That poll from YouGov on Scotland is a lot more believable than MORI's, hence more worrying.

Murphy (and yes, I do think it will be him) has his work cut out - it might just be the job he was born to do, though......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7m7 minutes ago
LAB CON level pegging in latest Populus poll.
Lab 34 (-2), Con 34 (=), LD 8 (=), UKIP 15 (+2),
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Lonewolfie wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Morning, the Landslide Log is waiting at the top of the jam in anticipation of the blockage being cleared next Spring, I understand the otters on hand to start the un jamming process.

Sorry to contradict, AAW, but wasn't the 15% in the time of the lamentable Lamont? Now, who was his SPAD at the time....hmmm (scratches chin)...oh yes, that's it....

Lamont called Major to say the game was up, but Major disagreed and insisted interest rates should rise further to 15%. When the market closed later that afternoon, sterling was still outside its currency band.

At 7.40pm, after Major conceded defeat, Lamont, flanked by Treasury mandarin Gus O'Donnell and his adviser David Cameron, who were later to be Cabinet secretary and coalition prime minister respectively, declared that Britain had suspended its membership of the ERM.

Definitely with you on the rentiers, though - my flabber is still ghasted about the complete lack of understanding from the rhetoric swallowers that Housing Benefit is paid to these parasites...so if it's cut and their tenants are receiving benefits (while working 1/2/3 jobs) their 'business' model takes a hit.
You are quite right, and I have no excuse (we were caught up in that maelstrom) but Lamont it was. :)
(Well they both start with "L" and both are tories .... lol )
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

PorFavor wrote:
JackPranker wrote:
Ok -

I don't know. What do you call a flying monkey?
A hot air baboon.

JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That poll from YouGov on Scotland is a lot more believable than MORI's, hence more worrying.

Murphy (and yes, I do think it will be him) has his work cut out - it might just be the job he was born to do, though......
He'll be starting from a negative position - being a "Wastemonster"TM MP will do him no favours at Holyrood. It'll be the angle of attack for months.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:

You are quite right, and I have no excuse (we were caught up in that maelstrom) but Lamont it was. :)
(Well they both start with "L" and both are tories .... lol )
Yep, Lawson only managed 14%; mind you, they were both slackers, as Howe got it to 17% and kept it there for ages - luckiy I'd bought in (relatively) affordable Peterborough rather than hideously expensive London, but it still hurt.

@DHP, the Tories lost 4 council seats in the elections this year (3 to Kippers and 1 to Labour), so Jackson is certainly vulnerable. It hasn't been a natural Tory seat since the boundary changes that saw Mawhinney scurry off to the new NW Cambs seat, and is number 79 on Labour's target list. The Kipper factor will be vital.

@AAW, the Wilsons really are a piece of work, aren't they? :fire:

@Lonewolfie, isn't a flying monkey a flunkey?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Murphy will pledge to enter Holyrood next May at the latest - its something that may obsess CyberNats, but less committed people won't care that much IMO.

(shouldn't be that hard to spin it into a relative positive, either - "I could have stayed down there with that lot, but Holyrood is the future")
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I posted a related link last night but here's Labour excellent new policy on buses. Music to my ears!

Mary Creagh MP ‏@marycreagh_mp 29m29 minutes ago
Labour will empower our cities and regions to deliver cheaper, more frequent and more reliable #buses http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29839181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh, they do - in much the same way as here in England, Labour and the Tories have long disliked the LibDems more than each other :)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Murphy will pledge to enter Holyrood next May at the latest - its something that may obsess CyberNats, but less committed people won't care that much IMO.

(shouldn't be that hard to spin it into a relative positive, either - "I could have stayed down there with that lot, but Holyrood is the future")
When asked if he was Scottish first then British he replied yes then immediately changed it to
No, I'm Glaswegian first, Scottish second & British third
That's the kind of comment I imagine would go down well with people.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Murphy will pledge to enter Holyrood next May at the latest - its something that may obsess CyberNats, but less committed people won't care that much IMO.

When asked if he was Scottish first then British he replied yes then immediately changed it to
No, I'm Glaswegian first, Scottish second & British third
That's the kind of comment I imagine would go down well with people.
It would certainly go down well in Glasgow. Not so much in Edinburgh, perhaps ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
:lol: :clap:

How many Vietnam vets does it take to change a lightbulb?
I don't know, how many Vietnam vets DOES it take to change a lightbulb?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is old, but I've not seen it before, worth a watch! (link from blt on AS blog - thanks)
David Cameron exposed
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Shock horror...low turnout expected in the PCC election in South Yorkshire...apart, maybe from Rotherham.

http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/l ... -1-6927047
Voter turnout for the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner election is likely to be lower than expected, early indications show.

As the count got underway across the county, Doncaster Council’s chief executive Jo Miller confirmed turnout in the town was 15.24 per cent - slightly lower than in the last election in 2012.

In Barnsley the turnout was 11.9 per cent.

Turnout figures for Rotherham and Sheffield have not yet been revealed.

There have been reports that fewer than 100 people turned out to some polling stations across the county.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Universal Credit ID logon contract signed by Freud/PayPal in 2012 described by Cabinet Office as "not fit for purpose"

"Cabinet Office abandons plans for level 3 logon required by DWP for UC and PIP.

Information supplied by Brian Wernham
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Shock horror...low turnout expected in the PCC election in South Yorkshire...apart, maybe from Rotherham.

http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/l ... -1-6927047
Voter turnout for the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner election is likely to be lower than expected, early indications show.

As the count got underway across the county, Doncaster Council’s chief executive Jo Miller confirmed turnout in the town was 15.24 per cent - slightly lower than in the last election in 2012.

In Barnsley the turnout was 11.9 per cent.

Turnout figures for Rotherham and Sheffield have not yet been revealed.

There have been reports that fewer than 100 people turned out to some polling stations across the county.
Thanks. I was beginning to think I'd got the day wrong, so little coverage of this election can I find. It must be a difficult one for the newspapers and other mainstream media. The opportunity to go on endlessly about Ukip, versus the desire to keep quiet about the turnout and the general failure of these unwanted PCC things.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Missed this.They really should give this Brindle's coverage more prominence IMHO.

Post Winterbourne View
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -moved-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I've nicked this from UKPR re PCC election & I haven't been able to verify it's accuracy:
Result from Doncaster is out:
LAB – 45.4%
UKIP – 33.7%
CON – 14.0%
EDEM – 6.9%
If this is indeed true, may I be the first to say PHEW !

I am dreading Ukip winning overall but if they had won in Doncaster, the media hype would have been so OTT that I would have been forced into hibernation away from it all.

edit to add Labour List has this:
Labour has won in Doncaster (where Ed Miliband’s seat is) by about 4,000 votes. That may not sound particularly good for a Labour heartland (and it’s not) but that was in question earlier this week. Labour received around 45% of the first round total.

Turnout is 14.88% (and less than 12% in Barnsley)

Labour are believed to be winning comfortably in Sheffield (By about 32,000 votes to 14,000 votes for UKIP) – sources suggest a 57% Labour vote

In Nick Clegg’s Sheffield Hallam seat, Labour may have won around 65% of the vote
Last edited by pk1 on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That is actually better for Labour than some predicted.

But given that turnout was highest in Rotherham - where UKIP are likely to do best - its not over yet.....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Chris Leslie's letter to Andrew Dilnot re Dave's Times article:

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1013326 ... thority-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That is actually better for Labour than some predicted.

But given that turnout was highest in Rotherham - where UKIP are likely to do best - its not over yet.....
Official turnout figures:
Office of SYPCC ✔ @SYPCC
#SYPCC by-election turnout figures just announced: Doncaster – 15.24%, Rotherham – 18%, Sheffield – 14.5%, Barnsley – 11.9%, SY - 14.88%
Confirmed results so far:

Doncaster – Lab 15310, UKIP 11380, Tory 4730, Eng Dem 2314

Sheffield – Lab 32867, UKIP 14666, Tory 7198, Eng Dem 2937
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Britain Elects @britainelects · 34s 35 seconds ago
Barnsley result (South Yorks. PCC):
LAB - 50.7%
UKIP - 30.8%
CON - 12.5%
EDEM - 6.0%

LAB - 10877
UKIP - 6609
CON - 2672
EDEM - 1288
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

My heartfelt thanks to the 33,000 Labour voters in Sheffield who bothered to vote for a post they probably never wanted in the first place but who have done their bit to keep the nasty right at bay. And in the other towns too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment
Farm Terrace plot-holders in Watford quash decision by Eric Pickles to turn site into housing and car park (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... es-housing

Edited to, hopefully, get quote right,
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 31 Oct, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I make it Labour in the lead by 26,400 with only the Rotherham count to go.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
Landmark legal victory for allotments over redevelopment
Farm Terrace plot-holders in Watford quash decision by Eric Pickles to turn site into housing and car park (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... es-housing

Edited to, hopefully, get quote right,
Excellent :clap: :dance: :clap: