Thursday 18th February 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 18th February 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 18th February 2021

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.

Starmer's "big speech" today seems pretty OK.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

'6.2cm-tall man' offered priority Covid vaccine after NHS blunder

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... liam-thorp
A 32-year-old man with no underlying health conditions was offered a Covid vaccine early because of a blunder at his GP surgery which recorded him as being 6.2cm tall, giving him an astonishing body mass index (BMI) of 28,000.

The Liverpool Echo’s political editor, Liam Thorp, said he was left “really confused” after he was offered the jab this week seemingly ahead of the government’s rollout plan, and shared the “frankly surreal” experience in a Twitter thread which quickly went viral.

"If I had been less stunned, I would have asked why no one was more concerned that a man of these remarkable dimensions was slithering around south Liverpool."
https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/statu ... 7971643392
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My parents once got a utility bill which multiplied the amount they actually had to pay a thousand fold.

(tbf the sender saw the funny side of it when they were informed)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good morefternoon, all.

From what I've read 'pretty ok' just about covers it. His 'recovery bond' scheme sounds fine in principal but to persuade people to invest their Covid savings it would have to offer an attractive interest rate and ultimately would mainly benefit those who've been able to save and those with spare income to invest. The people it won't help (at least not directly) are those who have the luxury of neither.

Of course that was just one part of his speech and I'm sure he mentioned other means of tackling inequality but as a headline grabber it's pretty underwhelming.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Gah! Randy Newman! What have my poor ears done to deserve such abuse?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think he's fab.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good evening.

Sounds like the Home Office don't know their own legislation...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Psst! I like a bit of Randy Newman too...can't say I've kept up with him since the 70s mind...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

LOL as they say...
Tom Harwood
@tomhfh
After three amazing years at
@GuidoFawkes
where I have learned so much and helped break some huge stories it's time for a new challenge.
I'm thrilled to be able to announce I am off to
@GBNEWS
as Political Correspondent.
Honoured to be joining such a high calibre, exciting team!
5:55 PM · Feb 18, 2021·Twitter Web App
This is like The Great Escape where they brought all of the dangerous POWs in one place...except that this is all the crap.

Wonder whether all of the people who thought that underneath it all, Andrew Neil really was fair and balanced are looking at this and wondering...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Mind you one of the chief people from EuroNews is also joining, which is slightly surprising maybe.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Will he stay, though.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Which reminds me, any women?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good morefternoon, all.

I caught the end of it on tv and was not inspired.

Just read it though, and it seems much better written down. Maybe he should take a back seat and let Thornberry or EdM deliver the speeches. ;)

https://labourlist.org/2021/02/starmer- ... -up-loans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a Labour Budget would protect families. We wouldn’t cut the £20 uplift in Universal Credit, benefiting 6 million families by £1,000 a year. We’d provide local councils with the funding they need to prevent huge rises in council tax. And we’d end the insult of a pay freeze for our key workers after they’ve given so much.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is pretty good re the uni free speech thing...

TL:DR - not black or white despite some wanting to make it so for their own ends.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Iain Duncan Smith appointed post-Brexit Britain government adviser

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit ... er-7563204
He will chair the Taskforce on Innovation, Growth and Regulatory Reform (TIGRR) alongside Theresa Villiers and George Freeman.

The government claims that the TIGRR will "identify and develop proposals across a range of areas that will drive innovation and competitiveness, reduce barriers to start-ups and scale-ups, create opportunities for innovation to make the most of cutting-edge technologies, and support growth and dynamism right across the UK economy".
That would be the George Freeman who has just had to apologise for breaking the ministerial code after taking paid work for a PPE company trying to sell their stuff to the NHS, a company set up by 'a former UK government appointee whom Freeman had worked alongside when he was a minister'. Even Eric Pickles (now head of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments) put the boot into him after Freeman falsely claimed it was all a mix up and he'd had an apology.
Pickles went on to state his "disappointment" at Freeman's claim to a local newspaper, the Eastern Daily Press, that ACOBA had issued an "apology" on the handling of his application, saying: "After close examination, I can find no evidence of an apology being made, nor with respect, can I find any circumstances to justify issuing an apology."
https://www.businessinsider.com/george- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Really fills you with confidence doesn't it?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

QT panel tonight for anyone interested.

Mark Harper
Nadia Whittome
Layla Moran
Professor Linda Bauld
Peter Borg-Neal

Apparently the partially assimilated bloke at the end runs a bunch of pubs so Harper might have one ally, but he's going to take a kicking from the ladies.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Sounds like the Home Office don't know their own legislation...

Jesus, never mind the legislation, that video they've produced is crime in itself. Public information films have really gone downhill since their 70's heyday.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Mark Harper steams in and makes a twat of himself straight away. Apparently catching Covid 19 is fine as long as you don't die and he clearly doesn't understand that the more people infected with Covid the more chance of dangerous mutations. Is this ideologically driven willful ignorance or is he just thick?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Layla Moran makes a good liberal case against 'no jab no job' and everyone agrees.

I'm not so sure but she certainly made me think.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Poor Nadia Whittome is having a nightmare but not as much as Gavin Williamson who isn't even there yet is still getting a kicking in this discussion about 'free speech'. If this audience is representative then they're not falling for the Tories attempt to stoke a culture war.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Or to put that more clearly, if this audience is representative of the population then the Tories attempt to stoke a culture war is failing.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway we end on some pointless nonsense about Harry and Meghan and barely anyone seems to care.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

QT mini-review. Apologies I missed where it was supposed to be from but weirdly there was a bloke in the virtual audience who was on a couple of weeks ago who just happened to be in favour of lifting lockdown ASAP as he was then. I think he was called 'Dave'.

Mark Harper - Ideologically willfully ignorant or just thick? You decide. Either way being told he was wrong by a professor of public health had no discernible effect. Like that bit in The Simpsons where Bart throws a frisbee and it bounces off Santa's Little Helper's eyes and he doesn't flinch. That's how good Mark Harper was, he reminded me of a very stupid cartoon dog.

Nadia Whittome - Oh dear. While I appreciate that Nadia is only wee and could very well have a splendid career in politics ahead of her tonight will not go down as one of her finest moments. It was like listening to a poorly written algorithm chuntering random sentences from the comments under Guardian articles.

Layla Moran - What can I say? Wonderful as always. Why the Lib Dems chose that flaccid bore Ed Davey over her is utterly beyond me, after Clegg and Swinson you'd have thought they might have put a bit more thought into it but apparently not.

Professor Linda Bauld - Excellent. Laid out the facts and countered some of the nonsense coming from Harper and the next fool.

Peter Borg-Neal - Owns pubs and restaurants (Oakman Inns, I've never heard of them, so Southern I imagine), decided that made him an expert on infectious diseases, had his arse handed to him by professor Bauld and Layla Moran.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I thought I'd seen a member of the audience before. Was Dave the bloke who said that he was an outdoor worker? I was about to comment on his seeming reappearance, but you beat me to it. The royals questioner looked vaguely familiar, too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Borg-Neal man was weird (and ill-informed). I've never heard of Oakman Inns here in the Deep South.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Question Time isn't from anywhere in particular anymore, so far as I'm aware. The audience comes from all over the country.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I thought I'd seen a member of the audience before. Was Dave the bloke who said that he was an outdoor worker? I was about to comment on his seeming reappearance, but you beat me to it. The royals questioner looked vaguely familiar, too.
He was the funny looking guy with the toothy grin, and now I think about it you're right, the 'royals questioner' who wasted everyone's time has indeed been on recently.

Looking at the QT location timeline I reckon those two from Harpenden a couple of weeks ago were back tonight in Weymouth.

Scandalous.

I mean I'm no expert on what nonsense you lot have going on down South but I'm fairly sure there's some Hertfordshire/Dorset shenanigans going on there.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - Dave's the right one.

Yes - Oakman Inns, Hertfordshire and upwards to the Midlands, I think, judging from their website. They sound like bloody awful places.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »