Saturday, 6th and Sunday, 7th March 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday, 6th and Sunday, 7th March 2021

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I think the critic should be cut some slack. He must have been suffering unimaginable mental trauma after watching that film. He may well have been reduced to a gibbering wreck, and deserves our sympathy and possibly a medal.
Ahem, I think you might be forgetting about someone.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote:It's possible that Mr Cage peaked in the Rock, which I've just realised is quarter of a century old.
It's a difficult one. My favourite Nicolas Cage film is Raising Arizona but up until tonight's offering I would honestly say, since setting out on this quest a few weeks ago, that all the weird and wonderful low budget efforts I've watched have been genuinely entertaining.

Of course allowances must be made for their production and genre limitations and the fact that I've been drinking while watching them all but I've not been disappointed. If watching someone become increasingly crazed for an hour and a half while killing a great many of his enemies and indulging boisterously in often bizarre carnal pleasures is your thing then I would say Nicolas Cage is still surfing the peak of that particular wave.

I could pretend the fact that he keeps making these types of films provides a fascinating insight into the man's character but we all know he's doing it because he blew all his money (presumably while drunk or high) on mad shit like shrunken pygmy heads and dinosaur skulls and a deserted Island and a haunted house and a castle and eventually it all caught up with him.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Raising Arizona was indeed entertaining.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

'Balloons, hey these blow up into funny shapes at all?'

'Well no, unless round is funny.'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I think the critic should be cut some slack. He must have been suffering unimaginable mental trauma after watching that film. He may well have been reduced to a gibbering wreck, and deserves our sympathy and possibly a medal.
Ahem, I think you might be forgetting about someone.
Your commendation's in the post. You'll need to sign for it.

Raising Arizona's great.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:It's possible that Mr Cage peaked in the Rock, which I've just realised is quarter of a century old.
:shock:
I highly recommend the 'remake'* of Bad Lieutenant. Fully embraces the bonkers side of Cage, to great effect. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095217/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Remade by Werner Herzog, without seeing the original film or, apparently, even know who the previous director (Abel Ferrara) was.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Refitman is right.

Both Bad Lieutenant's are brilliant. The original is brutal and that scene where Harvey Keitel is masturbating after stopping the girls in their car is just horrific. It's a proper cop goes really fucking bad because he has gambling debts with the mob drama.

Herzog's 'remake' with Nicolas Cage has absolutley nothing to do with it but is equally brilliant in it's own way as he smokes crack and sees lizards. It's wonderfuly bonkers.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My first exposure to Harvey Keitel came as a young Sci-Fi fan with the truly terrible Saturn 3.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079285/

As far as I remember Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett lived on a space station somewhere despite their enormous age difference and Harvey Keitel had a little pony tail and thought he was in charge of a robot until it decided to wear his head.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.