Monday 3rd November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 3rd November 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukip is fair game for comedians – and why shouldn’t it be?

Nigel Farage’s moan about ‘leftie comedians’ on panel shows is riddled with contradictions. He appears to want comics not to make jokes

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -comedians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Well, Andy Burnham isn't convinced Labour have no chance in Rochester & Strood; he's checked to see if Naushabah Khan would be eligible to vote for Clive Efford's private members bill the day after the by election. *

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-wi ... from-ttip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Obviously it is gamesmanship, but pretty effective nonetheless.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yes, I think there is a danger local "rival" cities to Birmingham could suffer- they're the easiest places for Birmingham to win business from. It's the same potentially with Liverpool in comparison to Manchester.

Lots of other stuff needs to be done too. But as I say, big projects make other investment round them more viable. There's a (potentially at least) a good Midlands rail network and trams which could certainly do with more custom.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gee, the media (apart from Tim Donovan of BBC London) were disgraceful over Baby P.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

More news from my neck of the woods, Ann Clwyd, who word has it was taken to one side and told ''come on love, you're getting on, time to stand down'' is bleating now that she has, after saying she was standing down, and changing her mind has to go through the re-selection process, and don't believe the bull that she was met with an enthusiastic response to that change of heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-29878395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The local CLP are out to get her, and Cardiff, horrendous woman.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:More news from my neck of the woods, Ann Clwyd, who word has it was taken to one side and told ''come on love, you're getting on, time to stand down'' is bleating now that she has, after saying she was standing down, and changing her mind has to go through the re-selection process, and don't believe the bull that she was met with an enthusiastic response to that change of heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-29878395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's unsackable though, isn't she?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: As you say, the railway is a long way off- though Higgins has proposed bringing the section to Crewe forward, which will help a lot. But you can't have it both ways- if it's a long way off, it isn't prioritising commuters.

With HS2, far more freight can run on the existing line. I would imagine that would help reduce HGVs round Birmingham.

As you say, much else has to happen, but HS2 makes that easier in the longer term. It's not a zero sum game. And I don't see why you think HS2 is bad because the city has other problems.

Fair play to Birmingham Council for raising council tax as much as it can.
I can't see HS2 causing problems because of people commuting to London. It takes 1.30 from New Street today and I know people who do it. Of course they may move out closer to London, HS2 might keep them in Birmingham.

Coventry and Rugby are both in the London commuter zone (54 and 45 mins) but I don't see radical change because of it.

And don't just focus on Brum either....we also have other massive towns and cities in the conurbation as well. Sandwell (holds nose), Wolverhampton (my town and proud of it) and Dudley - almost 1 million people between them but you wouldn't know it from the lack of interest there is in us

All of these will be left out of HS2. I fear for these towns and cities if all the focus is on Brum and HS2.....Wolves is already in dire straits as anyone who has had the misfortune to go to the Mander Centre recently will tell you.

An example of how the city is doing is that until mid last year there was still an 'Our Price' shop sign in there - that is how long the unit had remained unoccupied
Exactly, you have put it better than me. How long does it take to get to ANY of these places if you leave out the tram. To travel fifteen miles takes as long as getting to London. Spent my working life in the Balck Country, the commute by bus was gruelling, still is.

Radical change won't come through HS2, and yes we've already had London papers showcase some of our nicer areas, where we don't need gentrification. Add to the traffic burden on the South and west side of the city and travel times in the conurbation will rocket, as they will on our three ring roads.
I've got friends and ex-colleagues I'd love to see, but it's a 4 and a half hour round trip by any means but car to most of the places I'd want to go to. Businesses are already dying because of red road restrictions. Some cure for these things would be really welcome. HS2 would be the equivalent of hi speed internet going into a 9k modem. Get the modem bit right first and enable the whole area.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:More news from my neck of the woods, Ann Clwyd, who word has it was taken to one side and told ''come on love, you're getting on, time to stand down'' is bleating now that she has, after saying she was standing down, and changing her mind has to go through the re-selection process, and don't believe the bull that she was met with an enthusiastic response to that change of heart.

How so? She has to go through the selection process with other candidates, much to her disgust, apparently had a whinge in the MOS yesterday...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Well not if she has to go through the selection process.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

She's the "woman who told the truth about the Welsh killing machine".
Even if you or I might think she's the equivalent of Julie Bailey and Charlotte Leslie.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Spacedone wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wait's patiently for those fighters of freedom and liberty to kick up a fuss, or does that only happen under Labour?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... t-hannigan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do seem to have been awfully quiet in the last 4 year don't they? It's almost as if their protestations about civil liberties were made for party political reasons and not out of any kind of principles.
Henry Porter you mean? I remember him fulminating at great length in the Graun about how evil Labour were, doing away with all those civil liberties. Rusbridger was 100% behind him and his crusade to get the Tories, er, FibDems into power to stop this awful authoritarian drift...

Imagine my surprise (cont'd P94)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote: Exactly, you have put it better than me. How long does it take to get to ANY of these places if you leave out the tram. To travel fifteen miles takes as long as getting to London. Spent my working life in the Balck Country, the commute by bus was gruelling, still is.

Radical change won't come through HS2, and yes we've already had London papers showcase some of our nicer areas, where we don't need gentrification. Add to the traffic burden on the South and west side of the city and travel times in the conurbation will rocket, as they will on our three ring roads.
I've got friends and ex-colleagues I'd love to see, but it's a 4 and a half hour round trip by any means but car to most of the places I'd want to go to. Businesses are already dying because of red road restrictions. Some cure for these things would be really welcome. HS2 would be the equivalent of hi speed internet going into a 9k modem. Get the modem bit right first and enable the whole area.
It takes yonks to get from some parts of London to other parts of London. That's true of every conurbation.

I don't think you need fear too quick an invasion of rich Londoners. But if you get one, use s. 106 properly, like we have in Tower Hamlets and Hackney. And Gentrification has been a big spur to improving existing housing and schools. Maybe we've got a particularly lefty bunch of gentrifiers, but I see their kids at the local schools.

The modem bit is more likely to get fixed with the hi speed internet happening, as I say because the return on investment rises. That's been true here, provided you have decent civic leadership and not Johnson. Livingstone improved buses hugely.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wait's patiently for those fighters of freedom and liberty to kick up a fuss, or does that only happen under Labour?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... t-hannigan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do seem to have been awfully quiet in the last 4 year don't they? It's almost as if their protestations about civil liberties were made for party political reasons and not out of any kind of principles.
Henry Porter you mean? I remember him fulminating at great length in the Graun about how evil Labour were, doing away with all those civil liberties. Rusbridger was 100% behind him and his crusade to get the Tories, er, FibDems into power to stop this awful authoritarian drift...

Friend of mine saw Henry Porter the other day.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Spacedone wrote: They do seem to have been awfully quiet in the last 4 year don't they? It's almost as if their protestations about civil liberties were made for party political reasons and not out of any kind of principles.

I do hope he asked him how the civil liberties campaigning was going.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 37189.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Henry Porter you mean? I remember him fulminating at great length in the Graun about how evil Labour were, doing away with all those civil liberties. Rusbridger was 100% behind him and his crusade to get the Tories, er, FibDems into power to stop this awful authoritarian drift...

She is too polite for that.

I'd have had him in a half-nelson and been shouting "gullible liberal" at him, mind.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I don't understand why they need the manoeuvring 'tail feathers' anyway. The X-15 was capable of orienting the whole craft at high alpha to maintain high drag on re-entry, and that was the plan with Max Faget's straight wing Shuttle designs. The tail booms swinging like that strikes me as one more complication that can potentially fail.
The Scaled Composite ships are very different beasts from the X-15 and the Shuttle, proper controllable spaceplanes as opposed to stylish and barely aerodynamic bricks; one was in which that difference manifests itself is the approach to re-entry. Parts of the X-15 were made of heat resistant alloys, and we all know that the Shuttles were covered in an insulating heat shield consisting of tiles; those of us who are old enough will remember the tension of Apollo re-entries with James Burke constantly reminding us of how easily heat shields could fail!!!

The feathering manoeuvre does away with that. It creates atmospheric drag on the ship which means it automatically aligns itself in such a way as to minimise friction, and this heating, on re-entry; it has been compared to a shuttlecock, which is a bit simplistic but valid enough. It is a typically innovative Burt Rutan solution to an old problem and one that has worked well .... until Saturday at least. It will be interesting to see what conclusion the NTSB reaches.
The shuttle might have been a brick but the X-15 was a fantastic plane, very very slippery indeed. The reason it had heat resistant alloy was as much to do with Mach 6.7 at 100k feet than re-entry at 350k feet (which was slower and the air was much thinner).

The X-15 achieved reentry by pulling huge amounts of g, far more than you could subject a celeb to. As you point out the feathering is a very neat solution to the problem of slowing a craft down on re-entry. They had apparently used it before in flight to recover from a pitch problem, but I doubt it was intentional this time. It might be ok at reentry at Mach 1.4 but anywhere near that in dense low altitude air is not going to end well.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Baker first LD minister to resign over a policy.

Took their bloody time didn't they?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Friend of mine saw Henry Porter the other day.
She is too polite for that.

I'd have had him in a half-nelson and been shouting "gullible liberal" at him, mind.
Porter 'liberal'??

He's about as Tory as they come. His libertarianism (ie, when it suits him) comes from the right wing, not from the left. He wants freedom to, not freedom from.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think he's a liberal. Or at least the Observer did.

Don't think he's a David Laws/ Mark Littlewood type. Reckon he's middle of the road on other stuff. He doesn't emphasize economic stuff like they would.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

:lol:

Photo of Farage doing the rounds, wearing a poppy, in typical fashion it is larger than the norm, someone reckons it looks like he has been shot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tom Hamilton ‏@thhamilton 5m5 minutes ago
Although there's no evidence for it, I think we should consider the possibility that Norman Baker's resignation was in fact murder.
Baker was at transport long enough. To be fair to him, rail investment held up reasonably well.

But his hobby horse of a national Oyster card didn't go seem to go anywhere much. Nor did the national railcard he championed before he was in government.

http://www.cix.co.uk/~normanbaker/pr/20 ... ilcard.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government harder than it looks, Norm?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha.

Norm was "losing patience" in 2004 with the non-appearance of a national railcard.

He was pretty darned patient in his years in the DfT. Still no sign of it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I don't understand why they need the manoeuvring 'tail feathers' anyway. The X-15 was capable of orienting the whole craft at high alpha to maintain high drag on re-entry, and that was the plan with Max Faget's straight wing Shuttle designs. The tail booms swinging like that strikes me as one more complication that can potentially fail.
The Scaled Composite ships are very different beasts from the X-15 and the Shuttle, proper controllable spaceplanes as opposed to stylish and barely aerodynamic bricks; one was in which that difference manifests itself is the approach to re-entry. Parts of the X-15 were made of heat resistant alloys, and we all know that the Shuttles were covered in an insulating heat shield consisting of tiles; those of us who are old enough will remember the tension of Apollo re-entries with James Burke constantly reminding us of how easily heat shields could fail!!!

The feathering manoeuvre does away with that. It creates atmospheric drag on the ship which means it automatically aligns itself in such a way as to minimise friction, and this heating, on re-entry; it has been compared to a shuttlecock, which is a bit simplistic but valid enough. It is a typically innovative Burt Rutan solution to an old problem and one that has worked well .... until Saturday at least. It will be interesting to see what conclusion the NTSB reaches.
The shuttle might have been a brick but the X-15 was a fantastic plane, very very slippery indeed. The reason it had heat resistant alloy was as much to do with Mach 6.7 at 100k feet than re-entry at 350k feet (which was slower and the air was much thinner).

The X-15 achieved reentry by pulling huge amounts of g, far more than you could subject a celeb to. As you point out the feathering is a very neat solution to the problem of slowing a craft down on re-entry. They had apparently used it before in flight to recover from a pitch problem, but I doubt it was intentional this time. It might be ok at reentry at Mach 1.4 but anywhere near that in dense low altitude air is not going to end well.
The X-15 was designed for hypersonic research and as a potential stepping stone to a viable space plane; it succeeded in the first, but was only partially successful in the second (the Shuttle owed some debts to the X-15 programme). But "a fantastic plane, very very slippery indeed" ..... I think we may have to agree to differ here. For starters that slab of a tail, essential for stability at hypersonic speeds, created immense drag at lower speeds (I read somewhere it was like carrying a jet fighter on the tail); that doesn't meet my definition of "slippery". And, because the primary role was SPEED, it had (like the Starfighter) the minimum possible wing area; and like the Starfighter that made certain manoeuvres virtually unrecoverable, like the spin that killed Mike Adams.

Yeah, the X-15 pulled more G than your average celeb could withstand; actually one of the X-15 pilots, Milt Thompson, is on record as saying that it "was the only aircraft he had ever flown where he was glad when the engine quit". The Scaled Composites solution is an elegant one to a problem that had to be addressed, how to make spaceflight, even if only sub-orbital, a comfortable experience. As I said before, it has apparently worked well up until now, the task at hand is t find why it failed this time.

Anyroad up, enough from me. Night all.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think he's a liberal. Or at least the Observer did.

Don't think he's a David Laws/ Mark Littlewood type. Reckon he's middle of the road on other stuff. He doesn't emphasize economic stuff like they would.
Well, he's gone fucking quiet on civil liberties since the coalition government. Prior to that I had him pegged as right wing, and I've seen nothing from him that persuades me that he's anything other than a shill for people like the TPA and other right wing nutjobs.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: The Scaled Composite ships are very different beasts from the X-15 and the Shuttle, proper controllable spaceplanes as opposed to stylish and barely aerodynamic bricks; one was in which that difference manifests itself is the approach to re-entry. Parts of the X-15 were made of heat resistant alloys, and we all know that the Shuttles were covered in an insulating heat shield consisting of tiles; those of us who are old enough will remember the tension of Apollo re-entries with James Burke constantly reminding us of how easily heat shields could fail!!!

The X-15 was designed for hypersonic research and as a potential stepping stone to a viable space plane; it succeeded in the first, but was only partially successful in the second (the Shuttle owed some debts to the X-15 programme). But "a fantastic plane, very very slippery indeed" ..... I think we may have to agree to differ here. For starters that slab of a tail, essential for stability at hypersonic speeds, created immense drag at lower speeds (I read somewhere it was like carrying a jet fighter on the tail); that doesn't meet my definition of "slippery". And, because the primary role was SPEED, it had (like the Starfighter) the minimum possible wing area; and like the Starfighter that made certain manoeuvres virtually unrecoverable, like the spin that killed Mike Adams.

Yeah, the X-15 pulled more G than your average celeb could withstand; actually one of the X-15 pilots, Milt Thompson, is on record as saying that it "was the only aircraft he had ever flown where he was glad when the engine quit". The Scaled Composites solution is an elegant one to a problem that had to be addressed, how to make spaceflight, even if only sub-orbital, a comfortable experience. As I said before, it has apparently worked well up until now, the task at hand is t find why it failed this time.

Anyroad up, enough from me. Night all.
It's erudtion and information like this that really perks me up on evenings like this one. Thanks to both of you for a fascinating exchange. I didn't get involved because it's way out of my comfort (and knowledge) zone, so props to you for the read.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh dear - just watched The Agenda on ITV - and found out how sneery and downright sour Susie Boniface / Fleet Street Fox is in person. One long anti Ed Miliband jibe - including a nasty made up headline at the end which was a picture of him in that T shirt but the message changed to 'This Is What Cheap Labour Looks Like'.

The contrast with the editor of Elle magazine couldn't have been more marked. She was bright, articulate, not looking for the worst in everyone - gave an incredibly good and persuasive explanation of what her magazine has been trying to do to raise the issue of gender equality and get a debate going - and how they have succeeded in that.

Boniface was anything but.

Chuka Umunna also on the panel. Not bad. Peter Bazalguette - total numpty waste of a chair.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Norman Baker quits as Home Office minister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29891132
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 1h 1 hour ago
Norman Baker is the first Lib Dem minister to resign over policy.
Working on the wild side.