Monday 3rd November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 3rd November 2014

Post by HindleA »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The state pension is separated out. Benefits to pensioners aren't.
State Pension expenditure isn't part of the ("welfare") social security budget? Please clarify because that's not my understanding.

"Welfare " according to the personal tax statements.

http://lartsocial.org/COFOG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

DonutHingeParty, your posts I've read last night & today posted on the G were some of the strongest I've read. Excellent information in them, all factual & that puts an end to the credibility of any ranting liar.

I worry when charisma is considered a finer attribute than credibility. It terrifies me, actually.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The state pension is separated out. Benefits to pensioners aren't.
State Pension expenditure isn't part of the ("welfare") social security budget? Please clarify because that's not my understanding.
The chart had pensions separately, but not (as I understand it) benefits paid to pensioners.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

State Pensions are an expenditure out of the budget for the Department for Work and Pensions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ables-2014

Please have a gander at the Outturn and forecast: Budget 2014 MS Excel Spreadsheet, 1.7MB

This is from the contents page, if I'm not mistaken, looks like a hell of an interesting retrospective:
More detailed expenditure and caseload breakdowns by benefit - 1948/49 to 2018/19

Bereavement benefits
Carer’s Allowance
Council Tax Benefit
Disability benefits
Housing Benefit
Incapacity benefits
Income Support
Industrial injuries benefits
New Deal and Employment programme allowances
Pension Credit
Social Fund
State Pension
Unemployment benefits
From the Notes section of the report posted above:
The Government has introduced a cap on certain items of welfare spending, excluding state pensions and the most cyclical elements of welfare. The cap has been formally defined and initially set by the Government in Budget 2014, and will apply to spending from 2015/16 to the end of the forecast period. This has been included in the 2014 publications, but these tables only cover the elements of welfare spending covered by DWP and HMRC. Other spending within the Welfare Cap is detailed in the OBR’s EFO.
(my bold)

"Welfare" spending includes State Pension payments. My point in posting this is to demonstrate the truth is available, it requires more than a glance at a editorialised glossy shoved through the post to find it. To take out the State Pension payments on their Treasury brochure is deliberately misleading. Who wants to be known as a welfare recipient? Social security provision, welfare, is nothing to be ashamed about.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote:The city itself needs huge inward investment, and support from government. It's not been getting that, HS2 will take some time, in the meantime nothing will happen, and frankly not hearing how difficult things are here doesn't help. We've got young people in desperate straits here, being told to lose their skills and ambitions. Many of them have excellent creative skills and knocking the heart out of our creative districts will not help that at all. Investment from the EU is what has held us together for a long time, thanks to this terrible government that is likely to slow down, and God help us if the Tories return. I just don't know how you can argue a rail link will help, it's not even coming directly into the city. It will only be useful if huge amounts of other things happen, and no one is even talking about that.

We've talked about this before. Your ideas on this do not stand up to any kind of Birmingham based scrutiny. People here do not need an influx from the south.
Birmingham City Council are strong supporters of HS2. Birmingham based scrutiny?

It's all but directly into the centre of the city, surely.

You get (commercial) inward investment as a result of things like good transport links. And in terms of public investment, once a big project is going to happen, the case is easier to make for other investment to get done to get full value out of it. See for instance Crossrail, where temptation was resisted to chop off one branch to get the headline figure down, because once you've done the central tunnel, you might as well run trains through it. And the temptation to terminate HS2 at Birmingham has been resisted.

What are we from "the South"? For a start loads of us come from outside London in the first place and moved to London for work reasons- including more than a few from the West Midlands. You wouldn't suddenly be taken over by Essex Boys- they can live in Essex anyway. You'd get people for various reasons making Birmingham their home, and people with roots there already would be more likely than others to do it. And at the same time firms think they might as well set up in Birmingham rather than London. So you have people living and working in Birmingham.

Lots of what's happened in London has been healthier than you probably think. Housing is the biggest problem, and it won't be anything like that for Birmingham.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I'm confused about the street lights. I thought they were provided by local government via council tax.
It's bound to all unravel isn't it?

At least I hope so! :twisted:
What people really need to know about are government policy changes that effect them, yet on these matters communication has been inadequate or entirely missing. I'm a bit huffy about this because the first thing I knew that the tax disc on my husbands car wouldn't be transferred with it when we moved it into my name (he'd just bought a new one) was when he got a refund for the remaining tax. Luckily this alerted me to the fact the car I was now driving was no longer taxed. If I'd bought it from someone else I'd still be driving around in an untaxed car none the wiser because I'd failed to read the tiny piece of paper hiding inside the new log book I'd glanced at and then filed away. I then tried to tax my car online, only to be informed that I couldn't (not sure if it was just me or if the site wasn't working for anyone). I then had to borrow my husband's car and drive to the post office to do it. I now love the local independent co-op which recently refurbished its in-store post office and extended its Saturday opening hours (thank you!) and the lovely lady in the post office (double thank you!) and hate this penny pinching, poorly thought through and rushed policy making government with a vengeance.

And yes, I did know they were getting rid of tax discs, but the non-transferable bit didn't really come across in the press and seriously, since when did knowing how to comply with a new tax law depend on people happening to read an article about it in the paper?!

So now I've got that off my chest, my point is, if the government is going to write to every household in the country about things they don't particularly need to know, perhaps they could do the same for things they do need to know about.
Oddly enough, I've just found myself in exactly the same situation (although I've been driving the bugger round untaxed (and unbeknownst to me!) since late October. It's been appallingly badly notified to the public - plenty of rich pickings in fines, methinks. What's more the refundee get the refund from the start of the month following the sale; the new owner has to pay from the start of the current month. Another nice little earner for Osborne.

Typical of this government. I wonder how many people have been caught out because of this little realised change?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I wonder how many people have been caught out because of this little realised change?
I wonder what other little realised changes have taken place we don't know about?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 3m3 minutes ago
The LDs will be delighted to jump 3% to 10% in today's @LordAshcroft phone poll. LAB down on 29%

I just don't trust these polls, they are so out of step with people I speak to, I don't understand.
Ouch.

I am very pessimistic now. Going to be very hard to come back.

People just don't want to know. A good policy on buses (not exactly revolutionary, just helping cities move to the more efficient regulation system that operates under hard leftist, Boris Johnson). Should get margins of private companies down. I'd say that was worthwhile, but the Greens have reached critical mass where more and more people will be saying "Why not nationalize the whole lot?" A fair question, but the impression that the Tories and Labour are the same is unfair.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's the same with Education- I'm not aware of anyone without party political/ think tank connections who doesn't think oversight is a significant problem with schools now. The Labour proposals are much better. But lots of people seem to discount that because they don't amount to complete abolition of academies and putting all schools back in the LA.

And the number of people who won't allow that the Adonis academies and Gove ones are different...

I say that as an opponent of academies.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Peston retweeted
Caitlin Moran @caitlinmoran · 8h 8 hours ago
Man takes over struggling feminist movement - The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-fi ... st-m,2338/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There's a decent political attack in this mailshot thing.
I bet very senior advice was overridden in the presentation- apparently the OBR have done it much better.
And it's cost a fair bit of money.

Old Frankie Maude made a song and dance about reducing "advertising". This is advertising, and less worthy than stuff on eg health. Osborne could have got it all on the TV just by doing a press conference.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I know we really really shouldn't judge people on appearance - but I'd like to plead a special case for this. There's something about that expression and posture that makes me want to ....
Tory MP Oliver Colvile voted for badger cull.jpg
Tory MP Oliver Colvile voted for badger cull.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 17955 times
https://www.facebook.com/stop.the.cull

He is the latest in an ongoing rogues gallery of Tory (& Lib Dem) MPs in marginal seats being targeted by those who care about badgers and foxes in particular, wildlife and our environment generally.
Labour has a 13 point lead over Conservatives in Oliver Colvile's Plymouth seat, says major new poll
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Labour- ... story.html
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
The LDs will be delighted to jump 3% to 10% in today's @LordAshcroft phone poll. LAB down on 29%

I just don't trust these polls, they are so out of step with people I speak to, I don't understand.
Ouch.

People just don't want to know. A good policy on buses (not exactly revolutionary, just helping cities move to the more efficient regulation system that operates under hard leftist, Boris Johnson). Should get margins of private companies down. I'd say that was worthwhile, but the Greens have reached critical mass where more and more people will be saying "Why not nationalize the whole lot?" A fair question, but the impression that the Tories and Labour are the same is unfair.
But the "minimalists" in the Labour ranks have brought this upon themselves, by not letting Ed propose anything bold and memorable.

In the resulting vacuum, trivial personality and "process" politics will fill the gap - and the right will always have the edge then.

(having said that, the idea the LibDems have jumped from 7% to 10% in a week is scarcely credible)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I know we really really shouldn't judge people on appearance - but I'd like to plead a special case for this. There's something about that expression and posture that makes me want to ....

He is the latest in an ongoing rogues gallery of Tory (& Lib Dem) MPs in marginal seats being targeted by those who care about badgers and foxes in particular, wildlife and our environment generally.
Labour has a 13 point lead over Conservatives in Oliver Colvile's Plymouth seat, says major new poll
It is a face that was born to be slapped innit?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

DfE nationalize the finances of AET.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _Trust.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might wonder how these clowns got hold of dozens of schools in the first place....

They wanted to hand over admin to for profit people recently. The DfE seem not to have liked that prospect very much. Don't know where their schools are, but I expect there are a few in places I can add to my "Govey's Marginals Disaster Tour" T-shirt.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:I don't understand why they need the manoeuvring 'tail feathers' anyway. The X-15 was capable of orienting the whole craft at high alpha to maintain high drag on re-entry, and that was the plan with Max Faget's straight wing Shuttle designs. The tail booms swinging like that strikes me as one more complication that can potentially fail.
The Scaled Composite ships are very different beasts from the X-15 and the Shuttle, proper controllable spaceplanes as opposed to stylish and barely aerodynamic bricks; one was in which that difference manifests itself is the approach to re-entry. Parts of the X-15 were made of heat resistant alloys, and we all know that the Shuttles were covered in an insulating heat shield consisting of tiles; those of us who are old enough will remember the tension of Apollo re-entries with James Burke constantly reminding us of how easily heat shields could fail!!!

The feathering manoeuvre does away with that. It creates atmospheric drag on the ship which means it automatically aligns itself in such a way as to minimise friction, and this heating, on re-entry; it has been compared to a shuttlecock, which is a bit simplistic but valid enough. It is a typically innovative Burt Rutan solution to an old problem and one that has worked well .... until Saturday at least. It will be interesting to see what conclusion the NTSB reaches.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Funnily enough, the Ofsted Chair was last employed at AET. His biography on the DfE site say he was sent there to improve its performance.

He wasn't there long, but doesn't seem to have done much in the way of improvement.

Be interesting to see his confirmation hearings. I bet a lot was made of how well he was doing at AET....
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening

Why is it that MPs and Ministers can get away for shocking incompetence (if not collusion to hide the truth) by coming along to the despatch box and shedding crocodile tears whilst saying 'Sorry'

It doesn't help when the so-called Opposition let them get away with it (yes Watson I am looking at you)....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Apparently Jeremy Hunt is about to give a speech to the GMC / NMC :roll:
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I know we really really shouldn't judge people on appearance - but I'd like to plead a special case for this. There's something about that expression and posture that makes me want to ....

Just seen the great Avatar - PCL, one of my favourite albums back in the day

:clap:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That bloke is MP for Plymouth?!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

howsillyofme1 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Just seen the great Avatar - PCL, one of my favourite albums back in the day

:clap:
Aye.. :D Kids these days, wouldn't know a good LP if it hit them in the chops.

(Going by my niece and nephews taste anyway)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote: It is a face that was born to be slapped innit?
Obviously I don't condone violence, but I did enjoy a phrase I once heard in Liverpool:

"he's got the kind of face you'd never tire of kicking"

Class
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DWP orders man to work without pay for company that let him go
John McArthur is sanctioned by jobcentre after refusing ‘forced labour’ at firm where he was previously paid minimum wage

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... ent-labour
I don't trust myself to say anything sensible about this - it makes me so furious. So I'll just restrict myself to .... it surely can't be legal under employment law?

And it prompts me to tell you about something I heard / witnessed today in our branch of 'The Factory Shop' which took over the old Woolworths premises in Cardigan. There was a massive queue at the tills mainly caused by a woman sporting a lanyard and clipboard who was chatting to the manageress on the till. As I finally paid up after the long wait to be served I heard her finish off the conversation with 'Well there you are - he'll be along tomorrow and work full time from then on - with enough time to continue to sign on of course - but that will only disrupt one day. Here's my card, any problems give me a call.' Exit briskly carrying her clip board and pen.

I can only assume it's a version of workfare or something similar. We need paid jobs in Cardigan. If places like The Factory Shop can get full time employees for nothing ... it's not looking good for people who want a wage.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

House prices outside London still 16% below 2007 peak
London Central Portfolio finds once capital’s numbers removed, figures only just recovering to same level as 10 years ago

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/n ... a-analysis
No, never ... you don't say.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
House prices outside London still 16% below 2007 peak
London Central Portfolio finds once capital’s numbers removed, figures only just recovering to same level as 10 years ago

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/n ... a-analysis
No, never ... you don't say.
I'm surprised at that, given the pitiful rate of housebuilding since.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -race.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is anyone leading Scottish Labour at the present time, another 5 weeks for the final vote?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohn Prescott @johnprescott · 31m 31 minutes ago
When Phil Collins & others said they'd leave if Labour won, I offered to drive them to the airport. So I love this http://www.wewilldrivethemtotheairport.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So do I. Especially the biogs of the volunteer drivers on the L sidebar.

Here's a favourite:
Sproutlore99
//sproutlore99
Lincolnshire

Left leaning drivers, silence (As neither me nor my wife have any wish t speak to them), wet bottoms from the lard we shall smear on their seats and most importantly a swift run to the airport (After all, we wouldn't want the fuckers missing their flights would we???).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Volunteer driver Threeamp

Transport: Van
Special features:
not only will i collect them from any location but they will be treated to the full kidnap experience. As an extra special treat they will be given a bastardtrade tattoo free of charge (courtesy of my mate who has a bottle of ink, a soldering iron and a shit load of those wipes you get in KFC)
Volunteered: Friday 25 April 2014

:lol: And it's a white Transit van.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/rev ... 912?lskjdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is it just me - or do there seem to be a disproportionately large number of drivers from Wales volunteering to take the ........ers to the airport?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ampp3d has found that they've mislead the public by counting public sector pensions under welfare instead of under pensions...That means nurses, teachers and fire-fighters' pensions are being counted as "benefits" by being put in the welfare bill rather than the "state pensions" bill. David Cameron's pension will come under the "welfare" bill too...
I wish I could say unfuckingbelievable - but I can't - sadly it's alltoofuckingbelievable.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:Is it just me - or do there seem to be a disproportionately large number of drivers from Wales volunteering to take the ........ers to the airport?
I can volunteer too, I'll even ram a few wankers in the boot.

And no, that's not a euphemism.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

wewilldrivethemtotheairport.co.uk is the sort of thing that makes me continue to become dewy-eyed about the old place, even though in many respects it is rapidly becoming a rabid rightwing hellhole.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:wewilldrivethemtotheairport.co.uk is the sort of thing that makes me continue to become dewy-eyed about the old place, even though in many respects it is rapidly becoming a rabid rightwing hellhole.
Is it connected to the old place then? Scuse my ignorance ...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Wait's patiently for those fighters of freedom and liberty to kick up a fuss, or does that only happen under Labour?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... t-hannigan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:wewilldrivethemtotheairport.co.uk is the sort of thing that makes me continue to become dewy-eyed about the old place, even though in many respects it is rapidly becoming a rabid rightwing hellhole.
Is it connected to the old place then? Scuse my ignorance ...
sorry I just mean england, "britain", uk (choose scale and terminology to suit political disposition).
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:The city itself needs huge inward investment, and support from government. It's not been getting that, HS2 will take some time, in the meantime nothing will happen, and frankly not hearing how difficult things are here doesn't help. We've got young people in desperate straits here, being told to lose their skills and ambitions. Many of them have excellent creative skills and knocking the heart out of our creative districts will not help that at all. Investment from the EU is what has held us together for a long time, thanks to this terrible government that is likely to slow down, and God help us if the Tories return. I just don't know how you can argue a rail link will help, it's not even coming directly into the city. It will only be useful if huge amounts of other things happen, and no one is even talking about that.

We've talked about this before. Your ideas on this do not stand up to any kind of Birmingham based scrutiny. People here do not need an influx from the south.
Birmingham City Council are strong supporters of HS2. Birmingham based scrutiny?

It's all but directly into the centre of the city, surely.

You get (commercial) inward investment as a result of things like good transport links. And in terms of public investment, once a big project is going to happen, the case is easier to make for other investment to get done to get full value out of it. See for instance Crossrail, where temptation was resisted to chop off one branch to get the headline figure down, because once you've done the central tunnel, you might as well run trains through it. And the temptation to terminate HS2 at Birmingham has been resisted.

What are we from "the South"? For a start loads of us come from outside London in the first place and moved to London for work reasons- including more than a few from the West Midlands. You wouldn't suddenly be taken over by Essex Boys- they can live in Essex anyway. You'd get people for various reasons making Birmingham their home, and people with roots there already would be more likely than others to do it. And at the same time firms think they might as well set up in Birmingham rather than London. So you have people living and working in Birmingham.

Lots of what's happened in London has been healthier than you probably think. Housing is the biggest problem, and it won't be anything like that for Birmingham.
We have loads of incomers to our colleges and workplaces from all over the Midlands. It's not London though. It's got a largely uninhabited city centre and narrow,for these times, arterial roads. It's also one of the areas of highest unemployment and our LHAs are way below those of London and the South. Local people would not be able to compete for housing, they can't compete against students now. We've got massive problems with HGVs on our roads and some serious issues that didn't really exist to any great degre prior to the Trojan horse nonsense. Your opinion that the housing problem won't be like London is only partly true, it won't be as visible but it will be every bit as real. I know people that Birmingham has had to house in Stratford, Kidderminster, and Warwick because they can find none here. Private landlords want what are for here massive deposits, for people from London and the South these are small, they can find them, we've got thousands who can't.

People say we are 'lucky', but we aren't, everyone I know is supporting adult children, some are well into their thirties. There's no signs of recovery, and I already explained why it will not help. We've already got commuters. I'm not being insular about this there really are other things to prioritise, we've got eleven year olds right now facing crossing some of our most dangerous roads with no wardens, having just crossed the city centre.

Like many other cities we are under pressure, but we have unique problems like Sheffield does, or Hull. These unique conditions, wherever they are don't get addressed, instead a railway link is seen as an answer. It isn't. It's a small part of a potential answer that is dependent on many other factors.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ampp3d has found that they've mislead the public by counting public sector pensions under welfare instead of under pensions...That means nurses, teachers and fire-fighters' pensions are being counted as "benefits" by being put in the welfare bill rather than the "state pensions" bill. David Cameron's pension will come under the "welfare" bill too...
I wish I could say unfuckingbelievable - but I can't - sadly it's alltoofuckingbelievable.
Oh the plus side we can now officially say that David Cameron et al are welfare scroungers.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wait's patiently for those fighters of freedom and liberty to kick up a fuss, or does that only happen under Labour?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... t-hannigan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do seem to have been awfully quiet in the last 4 year don't they? It's almost as if their protestations about civil liberties were made for party political reasons and not out of any kind of principles.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Ouch.

But the "minimalists" in the Labour ranks have brought this upon themselves, by not letting Ed propose anything bold and memorable.

In the resulting vacuum, trivial personality and "process" politics will fill the gap - and the right will always have the edge then.

(having said that, the idea the LibDems have jumped from 7% to 10% in a week is scarcely credible)
I agree that poll is clearly bollocks, no reason for that Lib Dem surge.

I think Labour is going to have to go for it in the election, but I suspect they aim to keep a few things under wraps for now.

Part of me wonders if this minimalist strategy isn't also a recognition of the limits any government will have to operate within. Hollande shows the real danger of over promising and under delivering. Cameron is doing the same, when he caves on freedom of movement his party will tear him limb from limb.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
We have loads of incomers to our colleges and workplaces from all over the Midlands. It's not London though. It's got a largely uninhabited city centre and narrow,for these times, arterial roads. It's also one of the areas of highest unemployment and our LHAs are way below those of London and the South. Local people would not be able to compete for housing, they can't compete against students now. We've got massive problems with HGVs on our roads and some serious issues that didn't really exist to any great degre prior to the Trojan horse nonsense. Your opinion that the housing problem won't be like London is only partly true, it won't be as visible but it will be every bit as real. I know people that Birmingham has had to house in Stratford, Kidderminster, and Warwick because they can find none here. Private landlords want what are for here massive deposits, for people from London and the South these are small, they can find them, we've got thousands who can't.

People say we are 'lucky', but we aren't, everyone I know is supporting adult children, some are well into their thirties. There's no signs of recovery, and I already explained why it will not help. We've already got commuters. I'm not being insular about this there really are other things to prioritise, we've got eleven year olds right now facing crossing some of our most dangerous roads with no wardens, having just crossed the city centre.

Like many other cities we are under pressure, but we have unique problems like Sheffield does, or Hull. These unique conditions, wherever they are don't get addressed, instead a railway link is seen as an answer. It isn't. It's a small part of a potential answer that is dependent on many other factors.
As you say, the railway is a long way off- though Higgins has proposed bringing the section to Crewe forward, which will help a lot. But you can't have it both ways- if it's a long way off, it isn't prioritising commuters.

With HS2, far more freight can run on the existing line. I would imagine that would help reduce HGVs round Birmingham.

As you say, much else has to happen, but HS2 makes that easier in the longer term. It's not a zero sum game. And I don't see why you think HS2 is bad because the city has other problems.

Fair play to Birmingham Council for raising council tax as much as it can.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Watching the Baby P programme.

What an utter scumbag Cameron was, lying about the age of Baby P's mother. And planting a story in the Standard at the same time.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

As you say, the railway is a long way off- though Higgins has proposed bringing the section to Crewe forward, which will help a lot. But you can't have it both ways- if it's a long way off, it isn't prioritising commuters.

With HS2, far more freight can run on the existing line. I would imagine that would help reduce HGVs round Birmingham.

As you say, much else has to happen, but HS2 makes that easier in the longer term. It's not a zero sum game. And I don't see why you think HS2 is bad because the city has other problems.

I can't see HS2 causing problems because of people commuting to London. It takes 1.30 from New Street today and I know people who do it. Of course they may move out closer to London, HS2 might keep them in Birmingham.

Coventry and Rugby are both in the London commuter zone (54 and 45 mins) but I don't see radical change because of it.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A bit of fun
18 things only Northerners living down south will understand
http://usvsth3m.com/post/65623530326/18 ... south-will" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Worth saying too that the current fare structure in the UK is much harder on commuters than France and Germany, for instance. It's one reason passenger growth has been impressive, even with train companies taking their share. We hit people with little or no choice with big fares, and have relatively low ones for off-peak.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

I can't see HS2 causing problems because of people commuting to London. It takes 1.30 from New Street today and I know people who do it. Of course they may move out closer to London, HS2 might keep them in Birmingham.

Coventry and Rugby are both in the London commuter zone (54 and 45 mins) but I don't see radical change because of it.

And don't just focus on Brum either....we also have other massive towns and cities in the conurbation as well. Sandwell (holds nose), Wolverhampton (my town and proud of it) and Dudley - almost 1 million people between them but you wouldn't know it from the lack of interest there is in us

All of these will be left out of HS2. I fear for these towns and cities if all the focus is on Brum and HS2.....Wolves is already in dire straits as anyone who has had the misfortune to go to the Mander Centre recently will tell you.

An example of how the city is doing is that until mid last year there was still an 'Our Price' shop sign in there - that is how long the unit had remained unoccupied
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Well done Greens, wonder why their poll ratings are rising...... ?
:rock:
Green Party Slams ‘Unacceptable’ Government Attacks On Sick And Disabled
http://www.welfareweekly.com/green-part ... -disabled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Spacedone wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wait's patiently for those fighters of freedom and liberty to kick up a fuss, or does that only happen under Labour?

They do seem to have been awfully quiet in the last 4 year don't they? It's almost as if their protestations about civil liberties were made for party political reasons and not out of any kind of principles.
Wow, that last paragraph in the link is quite a let out, and all because of whistle blowers, damn their little cotton socks. :wall:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AngryAsWell wrote:A bit of fun
18 things only Northerners living down south will understand
http://usvsth3m.com/post/65623530326/18 ... south-will" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Number 8... Mmmmmmmm. Delicious doesn't even begin to describe chips in gravy. I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it. And they've got some Hendos at Number 9 too. Perfect.

*scuttles off to kitchen to see if he's got any gravy mixture*