Tuesday 4th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th November 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote: The GMCA is working well and - as one who lives here - I see no reason to alter the make up or to add another layer with a mayor, and as I said before I don't like so much power in one persons hands, that's why we voted against it last time.
I made the point that this would be a much bigger level of power for the GMCA area. I don't think you can have that without directly elected members. Otherwise you get delegations of people who have been chosen for their competence on borough issues.

Leave out the mayor if that bothers you- though ours, even with a dickhead in charge which you'll never get, works OK as a system.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:But this report wasn't anything to do with the election.

Sure, put in some oversight of the Mayor's Office, and knock some heads together among councillors to get a Chief Exec.

But take over the whole council? That's counterproductive on its own terms. Rahman thrives on being attacked by Gilligan and all. He'll probably beat Labour again though he need not.

It doesn't just happen in other councils- it happens with Pickles' own cabinet colleagues- Gove didn't even have a process for the first year of free schools, and went against best practice by the grant to his ex-advisor, Rachel Wolf. That grant alone was more than all the ones Rahman's accused of breaking rules on.

This measure is for dysfunctional councils. Tower Hamlets isn't one of those. Things work well generally.
It's the lever to get in and take over. The Tories wouldn't do it to a 'dysfunctional' Tory council, I'm pretty damn sure, but a Labour one in London? It's a gift. That fat bastard would run every single council in the UK from London if he could get away with it. Episodes like this - regardless of the evidence - give him carte blanche to impose his mindlessly stupid ideas and memes on unwitting victims.

Congratulations: you're seeing the slow but sure destruction of local democracy! Have a cigar!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's not even a Labour council.

Labour sadly agree with Pickles.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

HindleA wrote:Not only do I read manifestos I keep them for posterity (sad git)
You're not alone in that. Thing is, you've got to make sure that you download everything versus saving a bookmark as so much has gone AWOL. So much for transparency!

And I do so hope that someone decent and with a conscience has ensured that the Risk Register is tucked away safely, ready for it's full exposure next year.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good article by Lord Wood on Cameron diplomacy.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/four-less ... f-cameron/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His main navigating tactic has been obscurity about what his demands will be. He knew that if he was too specific, either EU leaders would tell him what he asked for was impossible, or his backbenches would tell him it was nowhere near enough. Or even both. But obscurity about what he wants is no longer an option. Gone are the days when vague hints at treaty renegotiation can be surfaced without EU leaders and UK Eurosceptics alike being prepared to a) ask what exactly is being proposed, and b) comment on their desirability and feasibility. And when they comment, the irreconcilability of the two groups whose support he needs becomes crystal clear.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jesus.

Scottish MPs, MEPs and MSPs vote massively for Murphy.

This is going to shit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

FFS Prince Charles telling off faith leaders leading the news.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Good article by Lord Wood on Cameron diplomacy.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/four-less ... f-cameron/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His main navigating tactic has been obscurity about what his demands will be. He knew that if he was too specific, either EU leaders would tell him what he asked for was impossible, or his backbenches would tell him it was nowhere near enough. Or even both. But obscurity about what he wants is no longer an option. Gone are the days when vague hints at treaty renegotiation can be surfaced without EU leaders and UK Eurosceptics alike being prepared to a) ask what exactly is being proposed, and b) comment on their desirability and feasibility. And when they comment, the irreconcilability of the two groups whose support he needs becomes crystal clear.
If Cameron wins in 2015 it is impossible to see any scenario which doesn't result in the break up of the Tory party and an election in 2017. This is the true measure of the mans failure. The problem is he may break the UK in the process.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Online ID 'card' to be launched next month: New system will allow users to store personal data online, file tax returns and apply for driving licences through a single website
Government forced to deny scheme is basically ID cards by the back door
Concerns raised over history of costly official IT projects and data blunders
Coalition government scrapped ID Cards project as 'erosion to civil liberties'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bsite.html
I don't think that's one I'll be signing up for. I will take an awful lot of convincing that government can do big IT projects well - and trust them with my personal data, given what's going on with selling off NHS data and the like - I don't think so.
Sorry to hark back to the beginning of the thread, but this looks odd. The 'Government Gateway' has been around for about 10 years and gives access to HMRC, DVLA and many other services. I don't see what the 'new' website would add (other than private sector profits).
I've been filling in tax returns on-line for years - excellent system and any overpayment is paid back to your bank account within a few days.

http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

http://www.gateway.gov.uk/Help/Help.asp ... nguageid=0
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Jesus.

This is going to shit.
That is predictable, still not convinced he can win with the union and member votes though.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

This is going to shit.
That is predictable, still not convinced he can win with the union and member votes though.
Yes, it is predictable but it's still awful. Hope the others can at least stop him getting too close to victory on the first run.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: The GMCA is working well and - as one who lives here - I see no reason to alter the make up or to add another layer with a mayor, and as I said before I don't like so much power in one persons hands, that's why we voted against it last time.
I made the point that this would be a much bigger level of power for the GMCA area. I don't think you can have that without directly elected members. Otherwise you get delegations of people who have been chosen for their competence on borough issues.

Leave out the mayor if that bothers you- though ours, even with a dickhead in charge which you'll never get, works OK as a system.
The GMCA is an established body that functions well for the 10 constituent councils it embraces. I am happy for the elected leaders of those councils to be part of GMCA without the need for further (costly and probably low turn out) elections.
GMCA is already well organised and along with AGMA (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities) is ready to form a power house of the north - without a Mayor plonked on us.
http://www.agma.gov.uk/gmca/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

This is going to shit.
He's already got a struggle for union support (according to a well-known left-wing newspaper :shock: :
While he is the firm favourite of the bookies, Murphy suffered a setback within minutes of delivering his speech yesterday when Scotland’s biggest union, Unison, came out in favour of the leftwing Findlay, and the second biggest, Unite, said Murphy had to do far more to win its endorsement.

Unison’s chair in Scotland, Gordon McKay, said Findlay offered a “radical new policy approach” that would be welcomed by its members.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... il-findlay
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice fawning bit on Norman Baker on ITV News.

No sense of all the shit he's OKed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/public-leade ... ster-mayor

Did we cover this? The Greater Manchester Combined Authority (which voted firmly against having a directly elected Mayor only two years ago) is to have a temporary Mayor appointed in January 2015 then elections in 2017. This Mayor will have wider-ranging powers (in theory) than in London, as Health & Social Care will be under his or her control...
What a surprise.

Strategic planning and regional oversight good for everything except Education- which is to be run by private trusts.

I think imposing a mayor on the region is fair enough- it's different to the City of Manchester mayor voted on before. And it's a way to proper devolution in England. But surely the elected mayor has to happen straightaway?
We don't want or need a mayor, the GMCA look after Manchester with no need of a high paid, unelected, money grabbing, Mayoral position. I for one do not want so much power in one persons hands.
This has made me very mad by the way.....
Edit to add
We voted against it, and he has no right to ignore that!
You've even got Michael Crick questioning this ignoring of the peoples' will ....
Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · Nov 3
When does a No vote in a referendum take an issue off the agenda? Salmond and Sturgeon no doubt watching events in Manchester with interest

Greater London only got its elected Mayor after referendum. So why does Manchester get elected mayor without referendum & last vote was No?

@eddwilson I know, so why not now ask the voters of the combined area, just as Greater London was asked in 1998?

@atillatherover I know; I'm a Mancunian. So why no referendum for GM as Greater London had in 1998?
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

@atillatherover I know; I'm a Mancunian. So why no referendum for GM as Greater London had in 1998?
Ah, that's a good point.

I think that's harder to ignore than the earlier City of Manchester one.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Doing my best to fill Roger's shoes...

http://academiesweek.co.uk/academies-gi ... tal-funds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Academies and colleges can borrow money at low interest from the DfE.

Maintained schools.... can't.
It's not you filling Roger's shoes in his absence Tubby. You two are a winning team. You're both my "Education Oracles". :)
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

So no one going to comment on Featherstone?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gerry ‏@Archangelolill · 12m12 minutes ago
Probation inspector faces questions after firm where his wife is deputy managing director wins 6 probation contracts.
http://gu.com/p/4326j/tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

giselle97 wrote:So no one going to comment on Featherstone?
Nar, she's not worth the pixels :lol: :lol: 8-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What would you like me to say? :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Is Government really going to send this nonsense to all taxpayers?"

Declan Gaffney

http://lartsocial.org/taxsummary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Frances Ryan @frances__ryan · 3h 3 hours ago
Turns out The Daily Mail got it totally wrong about @fawcettsociety t-shirts. It's as if they're lying sexist scum.
http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2014/1 ... t-t-shirt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects · 1m1 minute ago
National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
LAB - 34% (-)
CON - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-1)
GRN - 6% (+1)

Night all :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

giselle97 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Doing my best to fill Roger's shoes...

http://academiesweek.co.uk/academies-gi ... tal-funds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Academies and colleges can borrow money at low interest from the DfE.

Maintained schools.... can't.
It's not you filling Roger's shoes in his absence Tubby. You two are a winning team. You're both my "Education Oracles". :)
Thanks!

Nice to see you again.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Britain Elects ‏@britainelects · 1m1 minute ago
National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
LAB - 34% (-)
CON - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-1)
GRN - 6% (+1)

Night all :)
Night.

I'm a bit less apprehensive re Ashcroft tmrw.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:"Is Government really going to send this nonsense to all taxpayers?"

Declan Gaffney

http://lartsocial.org/taxsummary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also Simon Wren-Lewis.

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ek-uk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So the way the chart aggregates welfare spending appears not only wrong, but also strange if the idea is to inform the public. But of course that is not the aim. This presentation is part of the Chancellor’s election campaign to convince voters that there is plenty of scope to cut public spending further by reducing this huge welfare bill. The idea is that many of those receiving this information will assume welfare payments involve all those state handouts to scroungers that their newspapers are always providing examples of.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

OK AngryAsWell and RebeccaRiots2 ...... message received!!! :D
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
She did a good job setting up the National Theatre of Scotland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_Featherstone
... (and annoyed some Nats in the process):
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/ ... -1-2696829

What do you mean, 'not that Featherstone'? :)
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
She did a good job setting up the National Theatre of Scotland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_Featherstone
... (and annoyed some Nats in the process):
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/ ... -1-2696829

What do you mean, 'not that Featherstone'? :)
:clap: :clap:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@TubbyIsaacs thanks for link.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/public-leade ... ster-mayor

Did we cover this? The Greater Manchester Combined Authority (which voted firmly against having a directly elected Mayor only two years ago) is to have a temporary Mayor appointed in January 2015 then elections in 2017. This Mayor will have wider-ranging powers (in theory) than in London, as Health & Social Care will be under his or her control...
What a surprise.

Strategic planning and regional oversight good for everything except Education- which is to be run by private trusts.

I think imposing a mayor on the region is fair enough- it's different to the City of Manchester mayor voted on before. And it's a way to proper devolution in England. But surely the elected mayor has to happen straightaway?
We don't want or need a mayor, the GMCA look after Manchester with no need of a high paid, unelected, money grabbing, Mayoral position. I for one do not want so much power in one persons hands.
This has made me very mad by the way.....
Edit to add
We voted against it, and he has no right to ignore that!
The funding deal is contingent upon having 'mayor'. I personally think it's bullshit, but if Bury's council leader considers it a significant enough deal to get over his previous abhorrence of such a post, then I'm, willing to learn more - that's not shorthand for I'll go with it, you understand.

My opinion is they should divvy up all those funds to the AGMA authorities and just let them spend it, with overview from AGMA. The 10 of them cover 2.5m people so I think the idea of strategic planning might just be on their radar, doncha know? If we don't like the decisions, we vote nearly every year for new councillors and Bob's your uncle, the council leaders (and AGMA reps) change. It all seems so simple when I look at it as a democratic process.

Perhaps we really do need another 10-12% voter turnout for a mayoral vote where about 25% of them will say "Cock off wankers", "None of the above" or "Nigel fur wurld prezidend" before someone in thatLondon finally gets what pisses off up here is new structures and heirarchies that we've neother been asked about nor been consulted upon.

I won't be holding my breath, given where I live.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James O'Brien retweeted
John Cooper @John_Cooper_QC · 2h 2 hours ago
I am pleased to announce that Michael Mansfield QC has offered to be a Judge at the Child Abuse People's Tribunal. More later.

James O'Brien retweeted
I can also announce that Michael Mansfield QC and myself will offer to be legal advisors to the Child Abuse People's Tribunal.
:?:

Can somebody enlighten me - the Child Abuse People's Tribunal?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James O'Brien retweeted
I am pleased to announce that Michael Mansfield QC has offered to be a Judge at the Child Abuse People's Tribunal. More later.

James O'Brien retweeted
I can also announce that Michael Mansfield QC and myself will offer to be legal advisors to the Child Abuse People's Tribunal.

http://www.thistangledweb.co.uk/2014/na ... l-trigger/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have a recurring nightmare where all households considered to be failing, scroungers, 'troubled' or simply not what is wanted as part of the hard working elite are forced to become part of an academy chain and directly ruled by an unelected mayor for a cloud conurbation which bears no relation whatsoever to any geographical or demographic sense ... and you must of course be online to receive compulsory re education and regular abasement sessions.

The only way to get out of this nightmare scenario is to identify and remember correctly at least 35 different kinds of fish from a selection which creaked past on a baggage carrier ... personally picked for you by our great ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
James O'Brien retweeted

James O'Brien retweeted

http://www.thistangledweb.co.uk/2014/na ... l-trigger/
Thank you - and oh dear, I think.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:@TubbyIsaacs thanks for link.
To Mainly Macro?

It's excellent.

Thanks for all your links too, especially on DWP stuff.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
HindleA wrote:@TubbyIsaacs thanks for link.
To Mainly Macro?

It's excellent.

Yes.