Tuesday 4th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 4th November 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 3rd November -

Con 33%, (+2)
Lab 34%, (+2)
LD 8%, (+1)
UKIP 15%; (-3)

APP -21 (+5)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th November 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.
Ian Dunt retweeted
David Nutt @ProfDavidNutt · 37m 37 minutes ago
I know how Norman Baker feels. Home Office is blind and dismissive of evidence. Sad even a minister couldn't effect a chink of reason.
Mike Smithson retweeted
James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers · 8h 8 hours ago
After a difficult period #TM4PM will have been done a power of good on Tory backbenches by Norman Baker's pointless resignation
:roll:
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

and the contrasting stories continue:
norman smith @BBCNormanS · 9m 9 minutes ago
Theresa May behaves as if the Tories won the last election says @timfarron @BBCr4today

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 10m 10 minutes ago
Norman Baker departure evidence Coalition working well cos only resignation in 4 and a half years says @timfarron @bbcr4today

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 31m 31 minutes ago
Damien Green puts the boot into Norman Baker - He saw himself as a Lib Dem Home secretary on a par with Mrs May @BBCr4today
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Marchant @rob_marchant · 30m 30 minutes ago
So farewell then
Norman Baker.
You once wrote a book.
In the end it seems
They really did
Conspire against you.
#bonkers
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Angry Reeves berates IDS over 'boorish' attack
https://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/45193/
Sounds as though he was implying she was shirking and malingering. I hope her anger at such an accusation spurs her to a stronger fight for the millions of others so maligned.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... eader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the list of runners and riders isn't quite a list of compassionate Conservatives.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Online ID 'card' to be launched next month: New system will allow users to store personal data online, file tax returns and apply for driving licences through a single website
Government forced to deny scheme is basically ID cards by the back door
Concerns raised over history of costly official IT projects and data blunders
Coalition government scrapped ID Cards project as 'erosion to civil liberties'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bsite.html
I don't think that's one I'll be signing up for. I will take an awful lot of convincing that government can do big IT projects well - and trust them with my personal data, given what's going on with selling off NHS data and the like - I don't think so.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rob Marchant @rob_marchant · 30m 30 minutes ago
So farewell then
Norman Baker.
You once wrote a book.
In the end it seems
They really did
Conspire against you.
#bonkers
Goodbye, Norman John . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

DWP orders man to work without pay for company that let him go
John McArthur is sanctioned by jobcentre after refusing ‘forced labour’ at firm where he was previously paid minimum wage (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... ent-labour
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Scandalously low pay should not be the new normal
A living wage is the kind of policy people expect from Labour, but is Ed Miliband letting it slip away?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... d-miliband
Good article. Hideous comments BTL - but to be expected.

Fair pay as a way of reducing poverty and the reliance on benefits / tax credits should be something understood as much more positive than the current situation by most people - surely? Or am I ridiculously naive?

Isn't now - with the HMRC propoganda for the government re tax spending about to arrive on doorsteps - the prime time for Labour to be arguing this case strongly?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Good morning.

If you don't already get the free morning email from the Times Red Box, I do recommend doing so.

Today's edition has these two tasty morsels:

The Sun -
The Department of Health plans to crack down on non-English speaking staff
I don't have any more info on that so if any of you have a subscription to the Sun, please will you copy & paste or precis it for me ?

More interestingly is a comment from yougov's Stephan Shakespeare:
Exclusively for Red Box, YouGov asked the public what they think each of the parties stands for, inviting them to come up with an answer in their own words, writes Stephan Shakespeare. We will look at each party separately over the coming weeks; today we're looking at Labour.

What I found surprising in the responses was that the comments on Labour contain almost no call to bring back something resembling Blairism, not even a hint of it. Among current supporters of Labour, 33 per cent used the word “fairness”, 19 per cent “equality”, and 20 per cent suggested the party was about “ordinary people”, “the workers” or “people like me". The party represents “a better deal for working people” was another typical comment although there was also disappointment that it had moved too far towards the Conservatives.

Among supporters of rival parties, a frequent theme was again regret that Labour had lost its true voice for standing up for ordinary people. A comment from someone who supports the Lib Dems: “It has lost sight of its original working-class values. It stands for winning votes by any means necessary."

Reading people’s own words is a different experience from simply counting the clicks for a pollster’s options. It reminds me that the public is more egalitarian and concerned with fairness than is often supposed by commentators. No one in this sample seemed to hanker for the days of the Blairites.
Not news to us but I bet it is to the wider commentariat, including DFH, Rawnsley & Rent-a-tool !

https://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazona ... cac6d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally,
5. Labour’s proposed supermarket tax would mean higher food prices
- Harry Phibbs, ConservativeHome
Umm, what supermarket tax ??
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some good laughs at Norman Baker & his tin foil hat [or should that be tin foil drug wrap] followers' expense.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A living wage is the kind of policy people expect from Labour, but is Ed Miliband letting it slip away?

Fair pay as a way of reducing poverty and the reliance on benefits / tax credits should be something understood as much more positive than the current situation by most people - surely? Or am I ridiculously naive?

Isn't now - with the HMRC propoganda for the government re tax spending about to arrive on doorsteps - the prime time for Labour to be arguing this case strongly?
I don't understand why Labour haven't continued to build on the predistribution speech, it's such an obvious popular policy, getting employers to pay proper wages so that working people don't have to be propped up by tax funded benefits. It's one of those win win for everybody policies (except multinational companies paying people poverty wages, who everybody hates anyway). If it is Ed Balls who is stopping the party from making it the centre of their manifesto then he's a bloody idiot and the other Ed should tell him to shut it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't have any more info on that so if any of you have a subscription to the Sun, please will you copy & paste or precis it for me ?
I've just had a toast to mouth fail PK.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I just tried using Chrome's 'incognito' window to see if that would give access to The Sun but it doesn't.
It works to access The Telegraph if you haven't removed your site cookies and are over your free access quota.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...

Some may remember a couple of weeks ago I decided to test the shiny new press regulator, in light of the Daily Heils' reporting of the NHS in Wales.

I received a 'confirmation of receipt' email on the 22nd of October, saying they would look into it (whether it was something they could deal with or not...outright lies in print? I can see how that might not fall within the remit of a Complaints body :roll: ) and get back to me. Late Friday, 31st October, I received a second email from them saying that, as they hadn't received my response, and if they didn't receive my response within 7 days, they would close the complaint.

I've responded now by asking what I'm supposed to be responding to (without too much sarcasm, I hope) - will let you all know what happens ;) (Still not holding my breath though - Dacre's just retained his position of authority - http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/telegraph ... al-charter)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Lol, I was being polite !!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Here's the tweet that IDS used in his spiteful attack on Rachel Reeves:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Naushabah Khan
‏@naushabahkhan
The campaign in Rochester and #STROOD continues, thanks to everyone who has helped out today. #TogetherWeKhan
The idiot doesn't understand that nowhere does it say Reeves was present & a RT certainly doesn't say or imply that.

Fuckwit.

What are the chances of getting sufficient number of votes for IDS to be Portillo'd ?
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

pk1 wrote:Good morning.

If you don't already get the free morning email from the Times Red Box, I do recommend doing so.

Today's edition has these two tasty morsels:

The Sun -
The Department of Health plans to crack down on non-English speaking staff

More interestingly is a comment from yougov's Stephan Shakespeare:
Exclusively for Red Box, YouGov asked the public what they think each of the parties stands for, inviting them to come up with an answer in their own words, writes Stephan Shakespeare. We will look at each party separately over the coming weeks; today we're looking at Labour.

What I found surprising in the responses was that the comments on Labour contain almost no call to bring back something resembling Blairism, not even a hint of it. Among current supporters of Labour, 33 per cent used the word “fairness”, 19 per cent “equality”, and 20 per cent suggested the party was about “ordinary people”, “the workers” or “people like me". The party represents “a better deal for working people” was another typical comment although there was also disappointment that it had moved too far towards the Conservatives.

Among supporters of rival parties, a frequent theme was again regret that Labour had lost its true voice for standing up for ordinary people. A comment from someone who supports the Lib Dems: “It has lost sight of its original working-class values. It stands for winning votes by any means necessary."

Reading people’s own words is a different experience from simply counting the clicks for a pollster’s options. It reminds me that the public is more egalitarian and concerned with fairness than is often supposed by commentators. No one in this sample seemed to hanker for the days of the Blairites.
Not news to us but I bet it is to the wider commentariat, including DFH, Rawnsley & Rent-a-tool !

https://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazona ... cac6d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally,
5. Labour’s proposed supermarket tax would mean higher food prices
- Harry Phibbs, ConservativeHome
Umm, what supermarket tax ??
'kin' ada...you mean 'Blairism' isn't popular with Labour voters? Really? Honestly? It's almost as though the whole concept and implementation of 'Blairism' was a manufactured Thatcher-lite program, created to appease the real bosses in Newcorpse HQ and the Bankster community. Whilst Newcorpse were 'making' (up) the news http://www.theguardian.com/media/greens ... CMP=twt_gu the real bosses got on with the important work of denying basic human rights to millions, without the tedious requirement of having their actions scrutinized.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tish wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I don't understand why Labour haven't continued to build on the predistribution speech, it's such an obvious popular policy, getting employers to pay proper wages so that working people don't have to be propped up by tax funded benefits. It's one of those win win for everybody policies (except multinational companies paying people poverty wages, who everybody hates anyway). If it is Ed Balls who is stopping the party from making it the centre of their manifesto then he's a bloody idiot and the other Ed should tell him to shut it.
Morning Tish

Low pay is definitely there in Ed's six pledges
“Halve the number of people on low pay in our country, changing the lives of more than 2 million people.”
“Help working families share fairly in the wealth of our country so, when the economy grows, the wages of everyday working people grow at the same rate.”
We could rail that these are too timid. But if Labour are elected there is at least a mandate to tackle low pay and pushing the minimum wage up to the living wage would be a logical conclusion.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 2m2 minutes ago
Judging by pic of Theresa May in Downing St this am, she doesn't seem too upset about being shot of Norman Baker - http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... eader.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Well,morning all.
This is funny(or maybe it reflects my sense of humour),but a Japanese whisky has been named the best whisky in the world,with no whisky from Scotland making the top 5.A whisky from England(didn't know we even made it)was the european no 1.
Article about it in the Guardian,and,my lord,the Scots are not happy about it at all.Lots of conspiracy theories,Murray must be anti scottish,etc etc.One poster even suggests that a scotsman must have been 'hitting on Murrays wife'!
Worth a read.
Last edited by Rebecca on Tue 04 Nov, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's an idea for the Labour press / PR / campaigns team ...

Last night on The Agenda - the highly articulate, intelligent and seemingly open-minded editor of Elle magazine said in response to the inevitable question about what she thought of Ed Miliband's capabilities as leader and potential prime minister that she didn't feel she knew enough about him as a person - other than the reported gaffes etc - and that she wanted to hear more about what makes him tick.

Come on you lot - offer her an interview with him or something else topical that Ed / Labour has a good story on - I guarantee you they'll take good pictures of him.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I can't watch this where I am

A Person retweeted
Shirley ‏@shirleykay11 2h2 hours ago
PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO WATCH BBC BANNED VIDEO OSBORNE LAUGHING & ADMITS UK HAD THE LOWEST DEBT " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … EVERYONE RT” #bbcnews
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rmany.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thousands-of-Britons-claim-dole-in-Germany
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

The IFS on the "personal tax statements"

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IDS appearing in front of the DWP Select Committee tomorrow at 09.30.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

pk1 wrote:Here's the tweet that IDS used in his spiteful attack on Rachel Reeves:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Naushabah Khan
‏@naushabahkhan
The campaign in Rochester and #STROOD continues, thanks to everyone who has helped out today. #TogetherWeKhan
The idiot doesn't understand that nowhere does it say Reeves was present & a RT certainly doesn't say or imply that.

Fuckwit.

What are the chances of getting sufficient number of votes for IDS to be Portillo'd ?
None, basically :(

We will just have to hope his comeuppance arrives in some other way.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I can't watch this where I am

A Person retweeted
PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO WATCH BBC BANNED VIDEO OSBORNE LAUGHING & ADMITS UK HAD THE LOWEST DEBT " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … EVERYONE RT” #bbcnews

Its from November 2010, a treasury(?) select committee about 1st ConDem budget.
Not really relevant today and I really don't think it's "banned" by the BBC, just old news.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I can't watch this where I am

A Person retweeted

Its from November 2010, a treasury(?) select committee about 1st ConDem budget.
Not really relevant today and I really don't think it's "banned" by the BBC, just old news.
Thanks ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Alex Braithwaite ‏@labour52rose 1m1 minute ago
Ed Miliband must realise that next year’s election will be won on emotion http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... on-emotion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Declan Gaffney :tax statements overstated "welfare" by 39 %
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Joseph Rowntree Fdn. ‏@jrf_uk 53s53 seconds ago
How much money do you need for an adequate standard of living? #livingwage http://bit.ly/1yTWEin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @jrf_uk
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Quite a good piece on Labour List

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/the-40-st ... a-fantasy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-40-strategy-doesnt-have-to-be-a-fantasy
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Alex Braithwaite ‏@labour52rose 1m1 minute ago
Ed Miliband must realise that next year’s election will be won on emotion http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... on-emotion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
And the point is, he is - or was? - capable of showing it.

One reason why he "surprisingly" won the leadership in the first place was because he appeared "human" and at times passionate at the hustings meetings - whilst his brother, too scared to put his "front runner" status at risk apart from anything else, all too often came across as some sort of android spewing out hideously constipated wonk speak which left people who attended totally cold.

We need that Ed back - if his "advisers" are telling him otherwise, he should inform them where to get off.

Its not as if they have an impeccable record recently, after all :twisted:
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Me too! Thanks PK for the Red box suggestion. Will do.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tish wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Good article. Hideous comments BTL - but to be expected.

Morning Tish

“Halve the number of people on low pay in our country, changing the lives of more than 2 million people.”
“Help working families share fairly in the wealth of our country so, when the economy grows, the wages of everyday working people grow at the same rate.”
We could rail that these are too timid. But if Labour are elected there is at least a mandate to tackle low pay and pushing the minimum wage up to the living wage would be a logical conclusion.
I know they're still committed to it, and I don't doubt that if Labour do get in they'll make fair pay central to their agenda (if only because its one of the few things that won't involve an increase in public spending). I just wish they'd talk it up more, put themselves about and argue the case for it, becouse it seems like good, popular policies like this are getting lost in the mist.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Tish wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tish wrote: I don't understand why Labour haven't continued to build on the predistribution speech, it's such an obvious popular policy, getting employers to pay proper wages so that working people don't have to be propped up by tax funded benefits. It's one of those win win for everybody policies (except multinational companies paying people poverty wages, who everybody hates anyway). If it is Ed Balls who is stopping the party from making it the centre of their manifesto then he's a bloody idiot and the other Ed should tell him to shut it.
Morning Tish

I know they're still committed to it, and I don't doubt that if Labour do get in they'll make fair pay central to their agenda (if only because its one of the few things that won't involve an increase in public spending). I just wish they'd talk it up more, put themselves about and argue the case for it, becouse it seems like good, popular policies like this are getting lost in the mist.

I wish that Ed Balls had been removed. This man, in my opinion, is the biggest restraint against progress for the Labour Party (no pun intended!). I suspect it's now too late although Anatoly did say a short time ago that there would be another reshuffle (I seem to recal)..
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott retweeted
Sam Coates Times @SamCoatesTimes · 2h 2 hours ago
In which the IFS - which is on fiery form at the moment - question Osborne's "how your tax money is spent" pie charts http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

John Prescott retweeted
IFS (1/2): "Lumping a quarter of total spending into one bucket labelled "welfare" may not strike the most helpful balance...

John Prescott retweeted
IFS 2/2: especially when it includes such diverse items social care, public service pensions, disability benefits (etc...)."
Good to know the Times is reporting the IFS unpick job on Osborne's spin.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I'm watching The Daily Politics show on BBC2.

Is this the Tory Party Political Broadcast programme or can other Parties also publish there?

:fire:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

giselle97 wrote:
Tish wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Morning Tish

Low pay is definitely there in Ed's six pledgesWe could rail that these are too timid. But if Labour are elected there is at least a mandate to tackle low pay and pushing the minimum wage up to the living wage would be a logical conclusion.

I wish that Ed Balls had been removed. This man, in my opinion, is the biggest restraint against progress for the Labour Party (no pun intended!). I suspect it's now too late although Anatoly did say a short time ago that there would be another reshuffle (I seem to recal)..
I do wonder if Ed asked Darling if he was interested in taking over as Shadow Chancellor - only to be informed (as we now know) that he was quitting front line politics (that might help explain the rumours that were going around last month, which then abruptly fizzled out)

There will definitely be a reshuffle of some sort soon, as Murphy has quit the front bench to spend more time in Scotland (he will be left looking a bit silly if he doesn't win the leadership there, but I don't think there's a huge chance of that tbh) The question is whether EM will use that as a chance to make a more wide-ranging shake up. The current spin (eg at LabourList) is that he won't, but that has been wrong before.......
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Breaking news - Featherstone to replace Baker. I'm not kidding!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Anatoly - re your thoughts on Darling.... what about the scenario that Darling was waiting for a call from EM which didn't come so then thought that he may as well stand down?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Capitalism Explained. This Is So Accurate It Hurts.
http://www.tickld.com/x/capitalism-expl ... e-it-hurts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol: :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

giselle97 wrote:Anatoly - re your thoughts on Darling.... what about the scenario that Darling was waiting for a call from EM which didn't come so then thought that he may as well stand down?
Well, that is also a definite possibility - but my scenario fits the "major reshuffle" chatter flaring up and then abruptly being squashed (it is also reported that Balls feared he might get the chop, and was even prepared to accept it provided some face-savers were thrown in)

Ah, rumours - so often much more exciting than the real thing :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Duncan Smith 'Knew Universal Credit Was Going Wrong Well Before Admitting It'
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... 92594.html
Well we all knew that - but what has made the so called 'architect' of Universal Credit decide to tell us that now?
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Eric Pickles is to take over direct control of Tower Hamlets after receiving a report by PwC.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... on-borough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pickles says: “a deeply concerning picture of obfuscation, denial, secrecy the breakdown of democratic scrutiny and a culture of cronyism risking the corrupt spending of public funds”.

The Council says: “While the PwC report identifies some process and governance issues that needed to be improved, the council notes that no evidence of criminality or fraud has been identified by the government appointed forensic auditors."

Who to believe?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric Pickles takes over ‘rotten’ Tower Hamlets
Crackdown on London borough’s ‘partisan approach to politics’ represents one of his biggest interventions in local government
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... on-borough

I haven't read the article yet. I'm hurting in mind, body & soul.

Wait - I read a bit - what's this shit?
...showed the directly elected Labour mayor, Lutfur Rahman, had sown division and should bow his head in shame at the report’s findings. Executive power had been left unchecked and misused, he added.
I thought that council had elected a former Labour party member who ran as an Independent?

****I'm adding here a note that my hackles got raised because "Labour" is used as a pejorative by current government - I think the G made a mistake or I may be not understanding what Pickles has found out in order to take over. It's not electoral fraud, is it? This is something different. That makes me very afraid.*****
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 04 Nov, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tish wrote:Eric Pickles is to take over direct control of Tower Hamlets after receiving a report by PwC.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... on-borough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pickles says: “a deeply concerning picture of obfuscation, denial, secrecy the breakdown of democratic scrutiny and a culture of cronyism risking the corrupt spending of public funds”.

The Council says: “While the PwC report identifies some process and governance issues that needed to be improved, the council notes that no evidence of criminality or fraud has been identified by the government appointed forensic auditors."

Who to believe?
Oh brilliant. The report seems to raise serious failings, but the bit about grants to pals (overriding process) isn't anything like as bad as Gove's done.

This leads to us being run direct from Whitehall? That is ridiculous.

No mention of eg the excellent schools with all Outstanding or Good- and barely an academy in sight.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ah, rumours - so often much more exciting than the real thing
I don't want excitement; I like to read about exciting historical events from the safe vantage point of a compassionate, well-run democracy. It's hard to fight for justice on a daily basis & the road seems to go on forever.