Friday 19th March 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 19th March 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 19th March 2021

Post by refitman »

Going great in Hartlepool then.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/ ... 70912?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Local council byelections are back, baby (have been for a few weeks actually) and Labour have just gained a seat in Glasgow - Sarwar effect?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote:Going great in Hartlepool then.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/ ... 70912?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe it's because they can only find one person willing to go to Hartlepool.

It's one of the most horrible places I've ever had the misfortune of spending any time in. Even the water was nasty and caused a burning sensation in my generative organs.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Though the Nats have now taken another Glasgow seat off Labour (almost no swing compared to last time, however)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK tutoring scheme uses under-18s in Sri Lanka paid as little as £1.57 an hour

The Department for Education announced the immediate suspension of the use of under-18s as tutors for the £350m national tutoring programme (NTP) after being approached about the revelations, and pledged a review of the use of overseas-based tutors in the coming year.

Critics condemned another example of the government outsourcing support and services in its pandemic response, and said the funding – which is part of a £1.7bn catch-up fund announced last year – should have gone directly to schools to source their own tutors rather than through a complex system of private providers. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Jolly unsporting of someone to have noticed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Priti Patel wanted police to stop people gathering at Sarah Everard vigil

Exclusive: some police chiefs feel ‘hung out to dry’ as memo reveals home secretary’s enforcement call (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rard-vigil
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sturgeon should resign if she broke ministerial code, says Starmer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ys-starmer

You know what Keir? Political opportunism is never seemly, so perhaps it would have been better to have waited for the result of the independent inquiry rather than this openly partisan affair. If even opposition MSPs couldn't find that she'd deliberately broken the ministerial code (because after her evidence the best they could get away with claiming was it was accidental), then Nicola Sturgeon is going nowhere. If however James Hamilton finds against her then she's in deep shit. So let's give your fellow public prosecutor a chance to do his job and just wait and see eh? I'm sure you'd expect nothing less if you were in her position.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tbf that does contain the word "if ".

In other more personal news, my first Covid jab has been booked for a week tomorrow :)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Nice try AK, but given the result of the enquiry has already been leaked, and to the surprise of nobody every opposition MSP found against her weeks before an election, that if is pretty meaningless.

Anyway...snap. Booked mine today for a week on Sunday. :D
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Cherry blossom on the trees, queen bumble bee's flying around looking for nest sites, I think it's safe to say Spring is in the air, and about bloody time. That Winter was as an absolute bastard.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Though some are seeing it as significant that the ex-Green on that panel also found against Sturgeon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Though some are seeing it as significant that the ex-Green on that panel also found against Sturgeon.
True, and while she was giving evidence his questions were the most reasonable and least partisan.

He's also tweeted an extract of the MSP code of conduct today which points out any leaking of parliamentary or comittee documents is a breach of that code. So whoever has done it is as guilty as they're claiming Sturgeon to be.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anger as West Midlands police officer who attacked woman in street is not jailed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... r-banfield
An off-duty police officer convicted of attacking a woman as she walked home alone was given a curfew and ordered to pay her £500, prompting criticism from campaigners that he avoided prison and the “system fails women and protects men”.

PC Oliver Banfield, 25, a probationary officer with West Midlands police, grabbed Emma Homer as she walked home in July last year and tried to tackle her to the ground.

The court heard that Banfield used techniques taught during police training to grab Homer by the neck and try to pull her to the ground as she screamed.

Homer, 36, managed to flee from the scene in Bidford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, as Banfield called her a “fucking slag”, the Mirror reported.

Banfield admitted a charge of assault by beating and was sentenced at Leicester magistrates court on Friday to a 14-week curfew, banning him from leaving his house between 7pm and 7am.

Banfield’s lawyer argued against a sentence of community service, saying it would be difficult for him to work with criminals.
He is a fucking criminal.

Video -

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status ... wsrc%5Etfw
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Could I just say, after being booked in for my vaccination next week, that I'd like to thank my local GP practice, the NHS and Leeds City Council for their efforts, because the people actually organising this and doing all the work are more often than not being overlooked while shameless Tory shysters take all the credit.

Without the cautionary lesson of the test, track and trace fiasco we all know they would have gone down the outsourced, private company route and we'd be sitting for hours on end online trying to book a vaccination appointment on some useless website. I couldn't even book a test because the system refused to accept I existed. My brother, a teacher, had to lie and say he'd been referred by a GP before some teenage kid in a call centre would let him get tested. Yet when it came to booking a vaccination all I had to do was enter my date of birth, choose a place and time for an appointment and it was done. So in a perverse way perhaps we should thank Dido Harding, Serco et al for being so profoundly incompetent that even this Tory government had no choice but to rely on the NHS, local authorities and GP practices to make the vaccination programme work.