Wednesday 24th March 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 24th March 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 24th March 2021

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politic ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM
The weirdest thing about this is how back to front it actually is. It was old-fashioned academic research in the pursuit of knowledge, and a lucky break, that gave the Astrazeneca vaccine a head start. Early development relied on regular university research funding - not capitalism at all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Glorious day here
I feel as though I should be happier than I am
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Andrew Sparrow on the Boris Johnson story I mentioned above:
Whether this is true or not is another matter, and one of the reasons the remark is attracting so much attention is that the UK vaccine programme, which has involved massive government investment (even to the extent of the state building its own vaccine factory), AstraZeneca selling the vaccine at cost in the developing world (the very opposite of “greed”) and distribution of jabs via a state-run health service, could be a textbook example of how profit is not the solution to everything.
Well, quite.

Meanwhile the private sector involvement - track & trace, PPE storage & fulfilment etc - has been a disastrous and inefficient mess.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politic ... ssion=true
'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM
The weirdest thing about this is how back to front it actually is. It was old-fashioned academic research in the pursuit of knowledge, and a lucky break, that gave the Astrazeneca vaccine a head start. Early development relied on regular university research funding - not capitalism at all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there anything too absurd or injurious Johnson may say or do that'll throw him out of office?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The UK's median age is what? It's over forty years, I think. Over fifteen percent of the UK population is over seventy. I don't think we're statistically likely to revolt. Johnson and the Tory party are probably acting with that knowledge.

I think recent legislation protecting statues and making raised voices a crime is a test to find out what we'll collectively tolerate.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Zoe Gardner
@ZoeJardiniere
Replying to
@ZoeJardiniere
But Patel does NOT want a streamlined and efficient asylum system.
She wants permanent crisis. She wants headlines about illegality & smugglers. As long as her solutions do nothing to address the real issues she can play to her base.
She wants a mess & she's got it. #r4today
https://twitter.com/ZoeJardiniere/statu ... 3545831425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote: Is there anything too absurd or injurious Johnson may say or do that'll throw him out of office?
Nah. In this case I think he was just cracking a joke, crass and stupid as usual for him.

Has everyone read this, you might have been put off by the 'long read' but it isn't too long.

The clown king: how Boris Johnson made it by playing the fool
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Is there anything too absurd or injurious Johnson may say or do that'll throw him out of office?
Nah. In this case I think he was just cracking a joke, crass and stupid as usual for him.

Has everyone read this, you might have been put off by the 'long read' but it isn't too long.

The clown king: how Boris Johnson made it by playing the fool
“As I Please” Column for Tribune, 5th October 2017: On Boris Johnson - Martin Rowson
https://martinrowson.wordpress.com/2017 ... s-johnson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"...Johnson is an act, a construct, a mask the better to advance the whole confidence trick...
...a great deal of “Boris Johnson” makes perfect sense if all it’s about is just the unquenchable craving for applause and adulation.
That also provides some mitigation for his almost pathological propensity for bare-faced lying: if it’s only an act, these are merely the lines you speak and none of it’s actually “true” anyway."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:The UK's median age is what? It's over forty years, I think. Over fifteen percent of the UK population is over seventy. I don't think we're statistically likely to revolt. Johnson and the Tory party are probably acting with that knowledge.

I think recent legislation protecting statues and making raised voices a crime is a test to find out what we'll collectively tolerate.
The "cut off point" is actually approaching 60 politically speaking, if the Tories lose significant support amongst middle aged voters they are in trouble electorally.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kill the Bill protesters forcibly removed from College Green on another night of conflict
More Bristol protests. No rioting this time so little news coverage. Which is a shame because this protest was specifically about the proposed laws targeting travellers which would benefit from more exposure.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Johnson again embarrassing at PMQs, not that his fans will especially care.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

So, Labour have decided to hand over Liverpool to the Tories?

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/ ... 70850?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Um, they don't really have much choice in the matter I think you will find.