Thursday 25th March 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 25th March 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 25th March 2021

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

Had an email yesterday asking whether I was available next month to help with supervising Y5/6 swimming. A sign of normality returning...

Did we see this?

Consultants Deloitte Paid To Draft Ministers’ Parliamentary Answers On Test And Trace

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 411ab5?kbd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Private firm Deloitte is receiving taxpayer cash to help ministers to draft parliamentary answers and media “lines to take” to defend the Test and Trace programme, HuffPost UK can reveal.

The unprecedented role for the consultancy giant is part of a series of contracts worth £323m to “support” the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and the National Testing Programme run by Baroness Dido Harding’s service.

Four different contracts show that Test and Trace has been using Deloitte for “general management consultancy services” ranging from building testing capacity to stockpiling and logistics oversight.

But buried within the contracts are details of help provided with PR and communications, with a requirement to “draft and respond to parliamentary questions, Freedom of Information requests, media queries and other reactive requests” and to “support lines to take and Q&A’s in anticipation of queries”.
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Why can Adonis, of all people, see this but SKS can't?
Andrew Adonis
@Andrew_Adonis
The answer to local misrule isn’t national misrule. The notion that Jenrick is the answer to Liverpool’s problems is like taking arsenic for a broken leg
Labour is wrong to back Robert Jenrick’s Liverpool power-grab

In the Times, if anyone has a sub.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Is it actually any different to this, though?:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-44069130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Northamptonshire County Council: Commissioners take over authority
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

2 things different I think.

Tory council v Labour council.

Most importantly, Northants was actually bankrupt, I've not seen any suggestion that Liverpool is.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The obvious answer to the above is, because Adonis isn't Labour leader.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Television licence fee 'preferred option' to fund BBC until 2038, say MPs

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... c-2038-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The licence fee, levied on households that watch live television or use the iPlayer service, subsidises the public service broadcaster and Welsh channel S4C. The charge has been increasingly seen as anachronistic, given the shift towards watching streaming services on multiple devices rather than live television, but there is no consensus on how best to replace it.

As a result, the digital, culture, media and sport select committee has suggested it is incumbent on the government to propose a new BBC funding method quickly, or commit to the existing model when it comes to issuing the broadcaster with a new decade-long Royal Charter in 2028.

“The government either needs to come out with a strong alternative to the licence fee that it can put to parliament, or strongly support the current model for at least the next charter period (2028-2038) and actively aid the BBC in driving down evasion,” they concluded.
Quite.

For all the noise made by the small but vocal Defund The BBC mob, there is never any proper suggestions as to what should replace it - but I guess that's the nature of right wing lobbying groups - be against something without doing any hard thinking of what comes after.

And for the suggestion of adverts - I doubt commercial channels would like that - the same amount of spend shared out more widely.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see that Vicky Ford was doing an excellent job earlier of confirming that she like most Ministers is a shameless liar...

J
o Whitehead Blue heart
@Jo_WhiteheadUK
According to the Tory children minister Vicky Ford on #GMB,
@MarcusRashford didn’t really need do anything to help poor children eat as the gov were already on it. He supported what they were doing... The gaslighting & lies continue & astounding she can keep a straight face
8:27 AM · Mar 25, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
:toss:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

If they were "already on it" they had a funny way of showing this, that's all I can say in response :mrgreen:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If they were "already on it" they had a funny way of showing this, that's all I can say in response :mrgreen:
The shameless liar is counting on short attention spans.
We're constantly bombarded with stories every day; it's difficult staying unconfused.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hopefully we will get some posts after 2PM today with you around!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Good morning.

Why can Adonis, of all people, see this but SKS can't?
Andrew Adonis
@Andrew_Adonis
The answer to local misrule isn’t national misrule. The notion that Jenrick is the answer to Liverpool’s problems is like taking arsenic for a broken leg
Labour is wrong to back Robert Jenrick’s Liverpool power-grab

In the Times, if anyone has a sub.
What Starmer will have to concede in order to keep the Labour party and everyone counting on it afloat will be a lot.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Consultants Deloitte Paid To Draft Ministers’ Parliamentary Answers On Test And Trace
Given that when facing criticism of Test and Trace the response of Tory MPs is usually to mumble something about it being a great success before doing an impersonation of a phone ringing then walking off saying 'Sorry I've got to take this', it would appear Deloitte's PR consultants are every bit as good those involved in the testing and tracing.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Rejoice! That paragon of sanity Desmond Swayne has just said in Parliament that 'by all measures this emergency is over'.

Thanks Desmond! I'm off out to spread this wonderful news, and in tribute to your own style I'll do this by ranting at the top of my voice in a demented manner at passers by without wearing a mask so my spit flies all over them. I can imagine their happy faces already. This is going to be great.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Andy Burnham
@AndyBurnhamGM
After 35 years of deregulated buses in Greater Manchester ...

35 years of rising fares and routes being cut ...

We are bringing our buses back under public control. Thumbs up
4:01 PM · Mar 25, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:2 things different I think.

Tory council v Labour council.

Most importantly, Northants was actually bankrupt, I've not seen any suggestion that Liverpool is.
I confess I haven't been following that closely, but on the surface it doesn't seem unreasonable to look more closely at a council that involves people who have close ties to those being investigated for corruption. Agreeing to sending commissioners in to oversee things could be the most effective way to prove there is, in fact, nothing more to see.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm not sure that there'd be any council, ever, where there was nothing to see, under close examination. Where to draw the line?

I'm sure there's no possibility that Jenrick wants a chance for his own mates to get their snouts in the trough, rather than Anderson's*.

* or whoever turns out to be the main culprit
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote:I'm not sure that there'd be any council, ever, where there was nothing to see, under close examination. Where to draw the line?

I'm sure there's no possibility that Jenrick wants a chance for his own mates to get their snouts in the trough, rather than Anderson's*.

* or whoever turns out to be the main culprit
They're talking about Liverpool being taken over for 4 years!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Jon Stone
@joncstone
Probably the best indication yet that Greater Manchester’s bus plan is the real deal:

Stagecoach mounts legal challenge against Greater Manchester's 'flawed' bus reform plans
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh great. Claire Fox on QT. Do I really want to spend an hour watching a woman with an expression on her face that screams Irritable Bowl Syndrome.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:Probably the best indication yet that Greater Manchester’s bus plan is the real deal
God I wish the council would do the same here in Leeds. Arriva are just terrible. Dirty, noisy ancient buses that cost a fortune. I've made multiple complaints to them about the last bus from Halifax to Leeds being early or simply driving past without stopping resulting in me having to get a taxi and train to get home. If I get anything back at all it's a bland apology.

If there's one thing I'm not looking forward to doing again once this virus is under control it's getting back on their shitty buses.

Fucking Thatcher, still pissing me off from beyond the grave.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Claire Fox immediately broadcasts her stupidity by evidently not understanding nobody is properly vaccinated unless they've had two doses.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Took no time at all.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Who the hell is this Welsh Tory leader? He looks like some kind of disturbing dead eyed butcher who would sell you 'pork' sausages that were actually made out of minced children.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I must admit I'm impressed by Vaughan Gething and not for the first time.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Aaaahh ha ha ha haaa, having the Union Jack shoved in everyone's face unifies the country. Nice one kid mincing butcher.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Aaaah ha ha hah haaah, Brexit Party MEPs having their little flags taken away in the European parliament was an attack on our national sovereignty. Nice one Claire.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Brief QT review.

Andrew RT Davies (Conservatives) - Dead eyed butcher who makes sausages out of children. Seemed to stay deathly still when not involved as if someone had turned him off. A disturbing performance all round.

Adam Price (Plaid) - His usual earnest, decent self.

Claire Fox (Revolutionary Communist Party) - Boring. Everything she said was entirely predictable, except at the end about the little flags which was unintentionaly hilarious.

Vaughan Gething (Labour) - The national party really should try to sign this guy, he has that kind of calm unflappable confidence that makes him seem like the only adult in the room.

Nigel Owens (Rugby Ref) - What a lovely bloke.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Aaaahh ha ha ha haaa, having the Union Jack shoved in everyone's face unifies the country. Nice one kid mincing butcher.
Eric Pickles' only fan.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »