Wednesday 5th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 5th November 2014

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Weird stuff, the New Statesman puts the boot in and up pops the ever reliable John Rentoul on PMQs.
— John Rentoul (@JohnRentoul)
November 5, 2014
Don't agree with scoring #PMQs but Ed Miliband won that 6-0.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Hear that the Red Faced ****** refused to deny at PMQs that a rise in VAT would pay for any tax cuts.

And still, there are those, out there would still consider voting for him.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:Can anyone here take at stab at explaining what he's talking about, please?

Debbie Abrahams, a Labour MP, says that 75% of the increase in employment is self-employment, and that the average income for self-employed people is £10,000 a year. The jobs are not out there, she says.

Duncan Smith says he does not accept that. More than two-thirds in the rise in self-employment comes from full-time self-employment, he says. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
"I don't accept that" is the formula they've learnt- Lansley used to do that as well. You then assert something else, which doesn't answer the question.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm no longer surprised but still disappointed. There are millions of people who've been awarded back pay by the tribunal. Surely Miliband could be going for this? It's money they've earned by law. Sure, some flexibility for employers to pay the claim could be needed. But he has to take the lead in getting this moving.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Can anyone here take at stab at explaining what he's talking about, please?

Debbie Abrahams, a Labour MP, says that 75% of the increase in employment is self-employment, and that the average income for self-employed people is £10,000 a year. The jobs are not out there, she says.

Duncan Smith says he does not accept that. More than two-thirds in the rise in self-employment comes from full-time self-employment, he says. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
"I don't accept that" is the formula they've learnt- Lansley used to do that as well. You then assert something else, which doesn't answer the question.
Yes - they've also got 'I don't recognise those figures / findings' to trot out whenever they don't like some statistics or research. It's a quite meaningless statement ... a sort of faux denial, usually followed by their own rubbish belief assertion. McVey has been programmed with a failure to recognise anything other than her own voice.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote:Good Morning

Divide and Conquer the North

http://thepublicinterestsheffield.blogs ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think he's a bit pessimistic there.

The chance of a Tory mayor winning Sheffield isn't very high. When Johnson won in 2008, the Tories were doing well in London. In 2012, he only just won even with all the help from the media. There isn't a Tory alive who could do that in Sheffield.

I don't think anyone is fooled by who's making the cuts either just because responsibility is devolved.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm no longer surprised but still disappointed. There are millions of people who've been awarded back pay by the tribunal. Surely Miliband could be going for this? It's money they've earned by law. Sure, some flexibility for employers to pay the claim could be needed. But he has to take the lead in getting this moving.
What do you expect him to say ?

AFAIK the judgement applies to payments within the last three months so I doubt it's as wide-ranging as was being made out. It also only applies to those who are mandated to work overtime, not voluntarily so I suspect that reduces the numbers considerably.

The BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29896810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The tribunal also ruled that workers can make backdated claims, but only for a limited period.

However, the ruling could be referred to the Court of Appeal, meaning a final decision may be years away.
Appeals probably will be granted so, as yet, there isn't much he can say or do imo.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Bizarrely I find myself enjoying a piece recommended by Cathy Newman and written by Dan Hodges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... r-him.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chuka-Ummana-is-the-only-mainstream-politician-with-the-guts-to-take-on-Ukip.-Good-for-him
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Shame about the spelling in the headline though :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm no longer surprised but still disappointed. There are millions of people who've been awarded back pay by the tribunal. Surely Miliband could be going for this? It's money they've earned by law. Sure, some flexibility for employers to pay the claim could be needed. But he has to take the lead in getting this moving.
What do you expect him to say ?

AFAIK the judgement applies to payments within the last three months so I doubt it's as wide-ranging as was being made out. It also only applies to those who are mandated to work overtime, not voluntarily so I suspect that reduces the numbers considerably.

The BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29896810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The tribunal also ruled that workers can make backdated claims, but only for a limited period.

However, the ruling could be referred to the Court of Appeal, meaning a final decision may be years away.
Appeals probably will be granted so, as yet, there isn't much he can say or do imo.
For a start, "left wing Vince Cable" has created a working group which consists entirely of employer organisations and his BIS appointees. Someone looking out for the other side needs to be on there. A retired, not particularly leftist, trade union leader should be suggested by Miliband.

As you say, it's a fairly modest finding- it was possible the tribunal would go back to 1998.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Have Labour selected a candidate for Frank Dobson's seat yet?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

After a run of very difficult and stressful days and lousy weather - I am celebrating today's sunshine and a couple of good things happening with a small brandy.

We've had an unexpected bit of good luck that hopefully will make things a bit easier for our sick dog and us in the months to come - and has given us an interesting insight into drug companies and medication licences, profits and costs. She has failing kidneys - not that common in a dog - especially a young dog. We need to help her by reducing the amount of protein sloshing around in her blood and urine - but for various reasons neither I nor the vet are particularly keen to use the normal ace inhibitors. There is another drug which can act much more specifically on the protein reduction, and has far less of the downsides caused by the normal ace inhibitors - but in animal medicine it is only licensed for cats not dogs (presumably because they don't suffer so much from the conditions it is normally used for). We could use the cat formula for a dog ... but the vet worked out that in the amounts we would need for our dog it would be in excess of £150 a month.

Vets can only prescribe medicines according to a cascade system - i.e. they have to have good justifications for not opting for a standard medicine, and then again for a medicine that isn't licensed for the particular species etc - and so on down the reasoning chain. Suffice it to say that I am actually very happy to have been classified as a 'non compliant owner' at various stages of this justification - along with cost prohibitive - so that our wonderful vet has been able to prescribe the human form for us at the outrageous sum of .... wait for it .... £5.88 per month.

I think we know where quite a lot of the profit margin on such drugs is coming from - our furry friends market.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Shame about the spelling in the headline though :lol:
Isn't ummana the term for the ultimate yum factor in food? Or something very like it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Who said it: David Cameron or an eight-year-old?

A quiz inspired by David Cameron’s performance at prime minister’s questions today, where he blew a raspberry at Ed Miliband and accused Labour of being “chicken” (OK, the first part is not true). Featuring i100.co.uk contributor Ollie, eight.

With apologies to all eight-year-olds.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/w ... ekct2q8Evx
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:After a run of very difficult and stressful days and lousy weather - I am celebrating today's sunshine and a couple of good things happening with a small brandy.

We've had an unexpected bit of good luck that hopefully will make things a bit easier for our sick dog and us in the months to come - and has given us an interesting insight into drug companies and medication licences, profits and costs. She has failing kidneys - not that common in a dog - especially a young dog. We need to help her by reducing the amount of protein sloshing around in her blood and urine - but for various reasons neither I nor the vet are particularly keen to use the normal ace inhibitors. There is another drug which can act much more specifically on the protein reduction, and has far less of the downsides caused by the normal ace inhibitors - but in animal medicine it is only licensed for cats not dogs (presumably because they don't suffer so much from the conditions it is normally used for). We could use the cat formula for a dog ... but the vet worked out that in the amounts we would need for our dog it would be in excess of £150 a month.

Vets can only prescribe medicines according to a cascade system - i.e. they have to have good justifications for not opting for a standard medicine, and then again for a medicine that isn't licensed for the particular species etc - and so on down the reasoning chain. Suffice it to say that I am actually very happy to have been classified as a 'non compliant owner' at various stages of this justification - along with cost prohibitive - so that our wonderful vet has been able to prescribe the human form for us at the outrageous sum of .... wait for it .... £5.88 per month.

I think we know where quite a lot of the profit margin on such drugs is coming from - our furry friends market.

Hope your dog responds well to the treatment Rebecca, and glad you have a vet who is helpful to humans as well as animals.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Good news RR2 - a co-operative vet is worth his weight in gold.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I hadn't realised other lemmings had jumped after Norman Baker ...
Chickens! Three Lib Dems quit government to distance themselves from the coalition ahead of election drubbing in 2015
A total of three Lib Dem MPs have quit the government to focus on seats
Whips Mark Hunter and Jenny Willott follow Norman Baker in leaving

Has been suggested they want to distance themselves from coalition
It comes amid fears the Lib Dems could be in for an election drubbing
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -2015.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:Good news RR2 - a co-operative vet is worth his weight in gold.
She is PK - she very definitely is.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
My local vets are pretty dire.
They have introduced a pet health plan,for a monthly payment(depending on the size of pet)each animal gets flea/worming,yearly vaccines,2 health checks per year,and access to nurse clinics.Sounds ok,but I strongly suspect sales of expensive products will be pushed.
However,unless you are involved in the plan,the vets won't routinely check over an animal.So,when my pup went for her vaccines they did nothing bar giving an injection,no advice,no weight,no general health check.So,as the vaccines cost only £7(ex husband is a vet),what is the rest of the fee for?
A fellow dog walker took his 2 year old dog because he wouldn't put a paw down.Ended up paying £86 for arthritis treatment,the vet refused to look at the paw unless dog was sedated,cost £160,'in case it bites'.There was a long grass seed stuck in the paw which the owner took out.
Anyway,glad you have a good vet.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

It looks like Lynton Crosby may have nicked some of IDS's superb policy ideas and exported the hugely successful bedroom tax to his homeland ... I hadn't realised Australia was behind us in taxing everything that doesn't move.
Public housing tenants prefer to pay more under the new 'bedroom tax'
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... e/?cs=4110
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rebecca wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
They have introduced a pet health plan,for a monthly payment(depending on the size of pet)each animal gets flea/worming,yearly vaccines,2 health checks per year,and access to nurse clinics.Sounds ok,but I strongly suspect sales of expensive products will be pushed.
However,unless you are involved in the plan,the vets won't routinely check over an animal.So,when my pup went for her vaccines they did nothing bar giving an injection,no advice,no weight,no general health check.So,as the vaccines cost only £7(ex husband is a vet),what is the rest of the fee for?
A fellow dog walker took his 2 year old dog because he wouldn't put a paw down.Ended up paying £86 for arthritis treatment,the vet refused to look at the paw unless dog was sedated,cost £160,'in case it bites'.There was a long grass seed stuck in the paw which the owner took out.
Commiserations. That sounds bloody awful. We've been there with awful, disinterested and slack vets over the years. We are actually very lucky that this particular vet has come back from maternity leave when we most need her ... we wouldn't go to any of the other vets in the practice unless it was a terrible emergency. Trouble is - we have virtually no choice - we have to travel a good 40 minutes or so to get to another vets - and they were generally no better, as we found out.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: She is PK - she very definitely is.
Commiserations. That sounds bloody awful. We've been there with awful, disinterested and slack vets over the years. We are actually very lucky that this particular vet has come back from maternity leave when we most need her ... we wouldn't go to any of the other vets in the practice unless it was a terrible emergency. Trouble is - we have virtually no choice - we have to travel a good 40 minutes or so to get to another vets - and they were generally no better, as we found out.
Vets in France are very much cheaper.My cat had pins put in after a fractured pelvis,spent 3 days in hospital pre surgery as she had a pneumothorax,and had electomagnetic(?)testing a few weeks later to check out spinal nerve damage.620 euros.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Lucy Powell any good?

Running Labour's day to day election campaign.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From a few months ago. A rather ironic story about Tower Hamlets.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/eric-pic ... 48.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tower Hamlets doing so well at getting affordable housing built, that Eric Pickles gave them additional borrowing rights of £8.2m to build more.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

http://thepublicinterestsheffield.blogs ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The chance of a Tory mayor winning Sheffield isn't very high. When Johnson won in 2008, the Tories were doing well in London. In 2012, he only just won even with all the help from the media. There isn't a Tory alive who could do that in Sheffield.

I don't think anyone is fooled by who's making the cuts either just because responsibility is devolved.
I thought it was on the money to be honest. The Tories might not get a mayor in Sheffield but as Doncaster showed just because the council is Labour doesn't mean that the mayor will be and that individual will be invested with a huge amount of unilateral power and the councils will be diminished. The fact that just 2 years after we rejected their attempt to foist a mayor on us they have now come back and made it a stipulation in any increased regional power makes me extremely suspicious as to why they are so desperate to impose a mayor on us.

What they're trying to do is turn us into city states when what we really need is to work interconnectedly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is Ukip the only party that cares about the British countryside?
Using brownfield sites for new homes and offices shouldn’t be a question of left or right: our rural environment must be preserved

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... brownfield
... The Conservatives’ planning reform explicitly gives rural development priority over conservation, even authorising “off-plan” building where local people might object. The concept of sustainable development has been defined as profitable. Identikit warehouse and “volume housing” estates now sprawl across the landscape with no thought for environmental impact or cost to the public infrastructure. It is crazy.

Labour likewise wants to discontinue local planning where councils oppose development. The Liberal Democrats are silent. Only Ukip, sensing its chance, has sided with those pleading for a more considered approach to using green land. Nigel Farage’s speech this year to the Campaign to Protect Rural Engand struck terror into many local Conservative parties...
Oh ... sweet ..... this is utter travesty / lunacy. UKIP as the party for conservation of the countryside / environment ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 19m 19 minutes ago
Significant appointment in Labour reshuffle: left-winger Jon Trickett enters Miliband's office as a senior adviser.
But will he be able to shift anything even a teensy weensy bit leftwards of the Balls impasse?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Lucy Powell any good?

The word is she is there to "steady the ship".

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/powell-jo ... ont-bench/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Just back from an event in the forest organised by HOOF, trying to get the MSM to notice how the Infrastructure Bill will affect our public woodlands if it passes unamended.

http://www.jonathonporritt.com/blog/infrastructure-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Spacedone wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I thought it was on the money to be honest. The Tories might not get a mayor in Sheffield but as Doncaster showed just because the council is Labour doesn't mean that the mayor will be and that individual will be invested with a huge amount of unilateral power and the councils will be diminished. The fact that just 2 years after we rejected their attempt to foist a mayor on us they have now come back and made it a stipulation in any increased regional power makes me extremely suspicious as to why they are so desperate to impose a mayor on us.

What they're trying to do is turn us into city states when what we really need is to work interconnectedly.
But Doncaster had to be nationalized by Whitehall because it was the worst council in the country. You don't need to worry about that.

It's a bigger area than Sheffield, isn't it? I think it's worth engaging with positively though stuff like having an unelected mayor is obviously not acceptable. And the precedent of the referendum in London over the GLA and Mayor needs to be followed.

But there's plenty to be engaging positively with. This is the chance of a sensible sized regional government. I don't think this can work on the basis of councils cooperating. It didn't in London.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ChrisDean wrote:Just back from an event in the forest organised by HOOF, trying to get the MSM to notice how the Infrastructure Bill will affect our public woodlands if it passes unamended.

http://www.jonathonporritt.com/blog/infrastructure-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really hope they can get some traction in the media re the infrastructure bill - it's very very scary.

I note that Denton in Texas - the home of fracking - has today voted to ban fracking - and many of the comments BTL on the story are pointing out that we in the UK will be pretty powerless to stop anything similar if this bill goes through.

A loud wake up call is needed - urgently.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Armitt Review
An independent review of long term infrastructure planning commissioned for Labour’s Policy Review

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... Report.pdf

It's not new information, but the final report came out recently. The policy documents have been floating around Labour party policy on Your Britain & where ever else Labour policy is taken seriously.

I've been meaning to post this sooner.

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... e_Bill.pdf

Read Part 4
Final Provisions
Consequential duties on financial regulators

Looks like all the essential infrastructure throughout the country is made the responsibility of the Secretary of State & is funding for the infrastructure is provided by the Treasury.

It reads like a democratic piece of legislation worthy of first world nation. I don't know. I could be wrong.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ChrisDean wrote:Just back from an event in the forest organised by HOOF, trying to get the MSM to notice how the Infrastructure Bill will affect our public woodlands if it passes unamended.

I really hope they can get some traction in the media re the infrastructure bill - it's very very scary.

I note that Denton in Texas - the home of fracking - has today voted to ban fracking - and many of the comments BTL on the story are pointing out that we in the UK will be pretty powerless to stop anything similar if this bill goes through.

A loud wake up call is needed - urgently.
Oh, wow. I'd like to emphasise the Draft Infrastructure Bill document I've linked to isn't that piece of crap that started out in the House of Lords.

You are very right. Current government's infrastructure bill is very scary indeed.

Infrastructure Bill [HL] 2014-15
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... cture.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Unsurprisingly,the Republicans took control of the Senate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29910542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The voter turn out was just as low as any fascist regime could wish. Don't ever believe voting doesn't matter. Voting matters. We must save ourselves here, people.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yep.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hear that the Red Faced ****** refused to deny at PMQs that a rise in VAT would pay for any tax cuts.

And still, there are those, out there would still consider voting for him.
Vote hard, people, vote hard, wise & vote like you won't have it next time if you don't use it now because that's probably true.

It is astounding to me.

The State of Massachusetts - the number of registered Democrats is twice the number of registered Republicans now finds itself with a Republican Governor because fewer than half the electorate voted. I think Massachusetts is probably stunned itself - just like so many of the US states.

"What? There was an election? I was supposed to vote?"

God damn California state wide voter turn out of 29%
What are you fukking thinking?!

Please vote.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Spacedone wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Ah - city states. I'd been going on about that for ages (maybe over at the Politics Blog before we came here?).

Anyway, I'm relieved it's not just me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

The word is she is there to "steady the ship".

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/powell-jo ... ont-bench/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what? I've had the luxury of being able to spend many hours of my day researching current affairs & indeed I thought I was well-informed.

Jim Murphy resigned? Miliband shuffles? Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've been reading poverty reports & Labour party Infrastructure drafts. When I'm not finding out how the Republicans took the US because half the electorate didn't vote.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've no idea.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:

I've no idea.
Manchester Central MP good ? - hell yes :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

I've no idea.
Manchester Central MP good ? - hell yes :)
Cool!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Shetland Islanders fight plan to force children to boarding school
Published on November 5, 2014, by Tony Harbron
The Guardian has a report from the Shetlands where secondaries on the outlying islands are facing closure which would mean 11-year-olds sent away from home during the week…

http://schoolsimprovement.net/shetland- ... ing-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Looks like Lucy is getting stuck right in..
Allegra Stratton
‏@BBCAllegra Excl i/v with @LucyMPowell on #Newsnight later this evening on her plans for Labour's general election battle. More front bench, more Ed...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Any ideas for them ?

Monster Raving Loony ‏@Official_MRLP · 4h4 hours ago
We are accepting any new proposals for our 2015 #Manicfesto use the hashtag or submit via the official website! http://www.loonyparty.com/about/policy-proposals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

good night.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:good night.
Good night JA :) :sleep: well
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:Shetland Islanders fight plan to force children to boarding school
Published on November 5, 2014, by Tony Harbron
The Guardian has a report from the Shetlands where secondaries on the outlying islands are facing closure which would mean 11-year-olds sent away from home during the week…

http://schoolsimprovement.net/shetland- ... ing-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the problems are obviously exacerbated by the geography of the islands, they are not peculiar to them. According to the education professionals (as opposed to politicians), there are problems throughout Scotland. (The SNP, of course, blame Westminster).
SCOTLAND’S education leaders have issued a stark warning of widespread classroom cutbacks with courses, teaching materials, support staff and even teachers facing the axe.
The impact of more swingeing budget cuts means “protecting education is not viable”, the Association of Directors of Education in Scotland (ADES) has warned in evidence to MSPs.
Pupils could find themselves being sent home on a “weekly basis” due to a lack of cover, ­according to unions, while recent warnings of a reduction in the school week are also likely to be on the agenda when Holyrood’s education committee considers the issue tomorrow.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/ ... -1-3591911
COUNCILS face a “very real risk” of failing to meet legal obligations on education as a result of spending cuts, according to parent groups and teaching unions.
The challenges facing schools are the “worst-kept secret in Scottish education” and teacher workload is a “ticking time bomb”, Holyrood’s Education and Culture Committee has been told.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/ ... -1-3593062
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A northern powerhouse, or an unwelcome imposition? Experts respond to George Osborne’s Greater Manchester Mayor proposals

http://www.democraticaudit.com/?p=9049& ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:Unsurprisingly,the Republicans took control of the Senate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29910542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The voter turn out was just as low as any fascist regime could wish. Don't ever believe voting doesn't matter. Voting matters. We must save ourselves here, people.
Evening everyone

'Have we passed Peak Democracy' - discuss

:shock: