Thursday 6th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 6th November 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

robert crilly retweeted
Arthur Seaton ‏@lockhart_flaws 13m13 minutes ago
Sky quoting Dan Hodges on Miliband leadership story so now we now it's all Blairite bollocks

:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:robert crilly retweeted
Arthur Seaton ‏@lockhart_flaws 13m13 minutes ago
Sky quoting Dan Hodges on Miliband leadership story so now we now it's all Blairite bollocks

I'm beginning to wonder if Hodges has got Glenda bound and gagged (if not actually dead and skeletized) in a rocking chair in her ground floor flat.

Otherwise - surely it's long overdue for her to have a word with him. It's just not seemly to harbour a grudge for so long.
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-29936002

Dave Sparks (LGA Chairman) collapsed while answering a question at a session of The Political and Constitutional Reform Committee, today. Apparently he suddenly slumped in his chair so they instantly cut the live-feed while people went to his aid. LGA spokesman says that he has now recovered and did not need hospital treatment.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dr Éoin Clarke @LabourEoin · 2h 2 hours ago
To Blairite MPs canvassing support to call for Ed Miliband's removal I have one simple message. Bring it on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Usual "Ed is finished" piece by Havisham at the Telegraph; but is he right this time, on the basis even a stopped clock is right occasionally? Usually reliable commentators, like Bonnie Greer, are giving it credence. :-(
No. Mind you, I had to make effort to find out what's actually going rather than the horseshit that gets media coverage.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just been to the bookies to check the odds ,I'm 50 to 1 to be the next Labour leader;the same as Shergar ,red rum and Madame Tussauds' waxwork head of Telly Savalas.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne 'expects' fuel price drop after fall in oil price
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29924710
Osborne's 'expects' seems to be the Treasury equivalent of IDS / DWP's 'believes'. I seem to remember Osborne expecting rather a lot of things - including reducing borrowing levels, increasing growth much faster than happened - and a rebalancing of the economy. Expecting it didn't make it happen.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

This isn't news - the claimants involved are all on Universal Credit.
Which comes with in-built in-work sanctions.
But aren't the people on it all jobless and single because that's all it can work on?
Maybe this applies to those who claimed UC originally because they were newly unemployed, single and straightforward but who have now found a part-time job and have thus become guinea pigs for IDS' latest wheeze?

BTW am I right in thinking that UC is still only being trialled in certain geographical areas, that the very limited number of people claiming isn't even happening on a UK wide basis even now?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Grrr.....

Have finally had a response from the BBC after asking them to confirm/clarify the number of times UKIPers have appeared on Question Time since 2010 and how that may/may not be a lot more than other small parties who had a total of 17 MPs between them.

I am now going to complain about Patrick Clyde's response, it's obvious they don't even bother to address what you have actually asked/complained about but just send a stock response with a but tacked on.

Anyone ever tried to escalate a request for info/complaint ?
Mr Clyde seems very reluctant to confirm/deny just how many times UKIP have been on QT.
I think I would send in an FOI at the same time now. OK it may take longer (but I doubt it somehow...) but at least they have to specifically address the information you ask for or refuse it (but I can't see on what grounds they could ... it really shouldn't be cost resource prohibitive to count up and give comparison data for political party representation on a single programme) - they can't give you a sideways non answer like that.
There is no specific format for an FoI request - ie you don't have to specifically mention the Act.
1 General right of access to information held by public authorities.
(1)Any person making a request for information to a public authority is entitled—
(a)to be informed in writing by the public authority whether it holds information of the description specified in the request, and
(b)if that is the case, to have that information communicated to him.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/section/1
Personally, I would write back, pointing out that you haven't been given the information you requested and that the 20 working days stipulated by the FoI Act are running (or have run) out.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/section/10
If it has run out, you could complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Thu 06 Nov, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
To Blairite MPs canvassing support to call for Ed Miliband's removal I have one simple message. Bring it on.
Do the Blairites understand Labours problem is they are still too Blairite?
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Sooner or later, those who dictate the news will go back to getting excited about a fucking Christmas advert.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I wonder if these Blairite spasms are partly exacerbated by Murphy's withdrawal ... what a terrible affliction to have.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thinking of voting against the government? Take the week off… - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-o ... Uu8hf.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oi, Gove and fellow Tory whips - that's our money paying for MPs to have extra time away from their job on your say so ..... grrrrh.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:@Lonewolfie -
On the other hand, it gives 'weak' Mr Ed the opportunity to slap them down firmly with an 'I'm going nowhere and if you don't like it, you can f*** off' - showing strength, resolve and courage (a bit like he did with Uncle Rupert - a substantially more dangerous opponent). I live in...yada yada :) I don't suppose the Renegade 2 are particularly popular with their colleagues, either. (2? Really? 2 whole MPs after 4 1/2 years of relentless negativity and fish pointing? I'd say that's a win for Mr Ed!)
Precisely.
You're only allowed to do that with leftists and working class people,

Doing it to "leading modernisers" is bad.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Wow the trolling has gone into overdrive BTL at AS PLB.
Too many acronyms? :wink:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good link for all the "they have so much better trains in Europe" people.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/hi ... twork.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

France's auditor calls for fewer stations to be served by the TGV and for bigger investment in conventional lines, neglected for 30 years.

There are 230 stations saved by TGV, which does sound like a lot. Interestingly, they support the case that high speed rail is positive for regional development in passing.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:Wow the trolling has gone into overdrive BTL at AS PLB.
Too many acronyms? :wink:
Sparrow's credibility has surely taken a knock by declaring his blog finished for the day a couple of hours ago, saying he had a meeting to go to yet lo & behold, re-opens it to continue the stupid story.

Bollocks to Sparrow & to all of the 'journalists' at the Graun.

:toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Hey RebeccaR, on first impressions this guy looks a good candidate?

http://www.paulmillerpembrokeshire.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hey RebeccaR, on first impressions this guy looks a good candidate?

http://www.paulmillerpembrokeshire.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is. He has undergone the RR2 interrogation and scrutiny over friendly drinks and passed admirably. We are going out door knocking with him in our village in a couple of weeks time. First of a few sessions with him. He's done a very good job of making sure the poor practices of our now former Chief Executive at PCC and the 'ruling' Independent group councillors have become known to the electorate and worked very hard to get the unlawful monies paid back ... unsuccessful in that last, but tried bloody hard anyway.

Anyone in West Wales in a no hoper or ultra safe seat wanting to lend a hand in our marginal with a good real person candidate - please feel free to come to Pembrokeshire.

Editing to add: Although, having just looked at his website, I can see he would benefit from the PF proof reading course. A couple of real howlers on there - 'village fate' (well quite, but we don't need to tell it how it is as bluntly as that ...)
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Thu 06 Nov, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I wonder if these Blairite spasms are partly exacerbated by Murphy's withdrawal ... what a terrible affliction to have.

Murphy is interesting, actually.

He has been saying some distinctly "un-Blairite" things since putting himself forward as SLab leader.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Do the Blairites understand Labours problem is they are still too Blairite?

He has been saying some distinctly "un-Blairite" things since putting himself forward as SLab leader.......
I agree. I'm not sure he is a Blairite at heart. This could be the making of him. But I'm also liking what I'm hearing from Findlay. So, some room for optimism as long as they unite round whoever they select.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And in anticipation of accusations of tribalism ;-)

I did post about Lucas being MP of the Year earlier…...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@Lonewolfie -
On the other hand, it gives 'weak' Mr Ed the opportunity to slap them down firmly with an 'I'm going nowhere and if you don't like it, you can f*** off' - showing strength, resolve and courage (a bit like he did with Uncle Rupert - a substantially more dangerous opponent). I live in...yada yada :) I don't suppose the Renegade 2 are particularly popular with their colleagues, either. (2? Really? 2 whole MPs after 4 1/2 years of relentless negativity and fish pointing? I'd say that's a win for Mr Ed!)
Precisely.

Blariites are to Labour what Orange Bookers are to the FibDems. They see themselves as 'modernisers' when what they actually are a pernicious neoliberal cult that can effectively (but only partly) mimic its host. The Blairites are precisely the reason that people may well not be convinced of Labour's fitness for power, as they triangulate their way up their own fundaments, terrified to offend business and financial powers, yet all too ready to oblige the Mail and co. by dumping on the people they should be sticking up for. On too many levels they agree with the Tories and it shows.

The Tories don't have the same issue, because their Blairites fit in nicely with Cameron's regime; instead their issue is those MPs who are convinced that only Ayn Rand and the Austrian school are right, whilst pretending that they can simultaneously wind back the clock to the 50s, and that Johnny Foreigner is only any good when he's got the same skin tone and has mastered English, otherwise it's back to empire for the rest.

I'm not surprised that the Labour Blairites are agitating. They want rid of Miliband with a passion, and will happily sabotage the party and help scupper its election chances if they can - Miliband would have to step down, and some cliche ridden, management speak wonk with no understanding of what Labour should stand for would be offered as the party's "saviour".

Stringer and Danczuk can fuck off, and if I run into either of them (more likely than you might think) I will point out the error of their ways, and suggest they cross the floor of the House.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hey RebeccaR, on first impressions this guy looks a good candidate?

He is. He has undergone the RR2 interrogation and scrutiny over friendly drinks and passed admirably. We are going out door knocking with him in our village in a couple of weeks time. First of a few sessions with him. He's done a very good job of making sure the poor practices of our now former Chief Executive at PCC and the 'ruling' Independent group councillors have become known to the electorate and worked very hard to get the unlawful monies paid back ... unsuccessful in that last, but tried bloody hard anyway.

Anyone in West Wales in a no hoper or ultra safe seat wanting to lend a hand in our marginal with a good real person candidate - please feel free to come to Pembrokeshire.
Count me in, not exactly ''west'' here, but near as damnit, I will tie it in with a B & B overnight! Mine is a banker, rather help out elsewhere, nothing would give me more pleasure to lend a hand and send poison dwarf Alun Cairns packing too. :twisted:

And no, I am not being shortist, I lack a few inches myself!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Count me in, not exactly ''west'' here, but near as damnit, I will tie it in with a B & B overnight! Mine is a banker, rather help out elsewhere, nothing would give me more pleasure to lend a hand and send poison dwarf Alun Cairns packing too. :twisted:

Excellent! And, unless you really want to be in a B & B, I'm sure we can sort out some friendly and comfy overnight accommodation with people of the best kind ...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

SNP ''only'' have a 17% lead over Labour for the Westminster constituencies, at this rate it will be level pegging by Xmas.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 24m24 minutes ago
Panelbase Scottish poll has SNP with the 17% lead over LAB on Westminster voting.
SNP 45
LAB 28
CON 15
UKIP 7
LD 3
GRN 1
Leftwing Scotland!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Do the Blairites understand Labours problem is they are still too Blairite?

Yes - but isn't that because he can smell which way the wind is blowing, or rather has blown, in Scotland - and it is in the opposite direction from Blairism? He has to change his spots if he is to get anywhere.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well yes, but its still telling - and Blairism is (as I said earlier) out of fashion across Europe, not just in Scotland.

Its remaining adherents comes across as ever more delusional cultists - no mis-spelling, honest :)

Re the latest Scottish poll - PanelBase have tended to give the best SNP scores, so could be worse atm. No way Greens are at just 1%, though......
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Thu 06 Nov, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: He is. He has undergone the RR2 interrogation and scrutiny over friendly drinks and passed admirably. We are going out door knocking with him in our village in a couple of weeks time. First of a few sessions with him. He's done a very good job of making sure the poor practices of our now former Chief Executive at PCC and the 'ruling' Independent group councillors have become known to the electorate and worked very hard to get the unlawful monies paid back ... unsuccessful in that last, but tried bloody hard anyway.

Excellent! And, unless you really want to be in a B & B, I'm sure we can sort out some friendly and comfy overnight accommodation with people of the best kind ...
That's very kind, there's a lot of trepidation about at the moment, but part of me cannot wait to get out there, enough of this phoney war. I reckon I can put in a bit of an effort in yours, Vale of Glam and Brecon & Radnor, which borders me, unlikely to go Labour but the candidate deserves a go.

The election will be won or lost in constituencies, on bloody doorsteps, all we need is for idiots to shut the **** up.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

He is. He has undergone the RR2 interrogation and scrutiny over friendly drinks and passed admirably.
Baptism of fire!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RupertTheHorsePlayingFootball.jpg
RupertTheHorsePlayingFootball.jpg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 13015 times
dominic dyer retweeted
BBC Midlands Today @bbcmtd · 3h 3 hours ago
THIS WILL MAKE YOU SMILE! Meet Rupert - the horse who likes to play football with old ladies " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
And it did.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@Lonewolfie - Precisely.

Blariites are to Labour what Orange Bookers are to the FibDems. They see themselves as 'modernisers' when what they actually are a pernicious neoliberal cult that can effectively (but only partly) mimic its host. The Blairites are precisely the reason that people may well not be convinced of Labour's fitness for power, as they triangulate their way up their own fundaments, terrified to offend business and financial powers, yet all too ready to oblige the Mail and co. by dumping on the people they should be sticking up for. On too many levels they agree with the Tories and it shows.

The Tories don't have the same issue, because their Blairites fit in nicely with Cameron's regime; instead their issue is those MPs who are convinced that only Ayn Rand and the Austrian school are right, whilst pretending that they can simultaneously wind back the clock to the 50s, and that Johnny Foreigner is only any good when he's got the same skin tone and has mastered English, otherwise it's back to empire for the rest.

I'm not surprised that the Labour Blairites are agitating. They want rid of Miliband with a passion, and will happily sabotage the party and help scupper its election chances if they can - Miliband would have to step down, and some cliche ridden, management speak wonk with no understanding of what Labour should stand for would be offered as the party's "saviour".

Stringer and Danczuk can fuck off, and if I run into either of them (more likely than you might think) I will point out the error of their ways, and suggest they cross the floor of the House.
And if you do meet them, give them a kick up the ass from me, to speed them in their way
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Up is down, black is white, dogs & cats living together...Isobel Hardman has just made the point the Cameron has 10s of MPs sending letters to the 1922 committee, as opposed to 2 Labour MPs mouthing off.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:Up is down, black is white, dogs & cats living together...Isobel Hardman has just made the point the Cameron has 10s of MPs sending letters to the 1922 committee, as opposed to 2 Labour MPs mouthing off.
Yes she has been tweeting similar today. How sensible she seems in comparison to so many other 'journalists'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

She has her moments, Hardman. I think like Fraser Nelson, she often tries to be fair, but is just very Tory.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is mainly for Tubby - who I know will appreciate it.

LDV managing to extract the glossiest best news spin from the Rafael Behr article yesterday - in complete contradiction to how I interpreted it ... but there you go.
“Lib Dems have made majority Conservative rule in Britain less likely for perhaps a generation”
http://www.libdemvoice.org/lib-dems-hav ... 43214.html
but it has brought out the very best of Eddie Sammon, that peerless regular LDV commenter:
Eddie Sammon 6th Nov '14 - 12:23am
It’s the Conservatives fault for appeasing UKIP rather than taking them on. Rather than thank the Lib Dems, new core voters like me are now actively thinking of voting for an independent in May 2015.

If I am not going to stand myself then I think I should vote, but I am now sufficiently dissatisfied as to start checking out what other options I have. I am too loyal to my principles to vote for any of the other main parties, but there might be a good independent.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:Just done the YouGov VI survey - full of questions about Ed Miliband's leadership, whether you'd vote for Labour if David Miliband, Alan Johnson, Yvette Cooper, Ed Balls etc were in charge. Push polling at its best. The establishment must be bloody terrified.
YouGov were quick off the mark with that, you'd almost think they were expecting today's 'news'.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:She has her moments, Hardman. I think like Fraser Nelson, she often tries to be fair, but is just very Tory.
Thing is those kinds of Tories loathe Cameron every bit as much as we do :twisted:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Just done the YouGov VI survey - full of questions about Ed Miliband's leadership, whether you'd vote for Labour if David Miliband, Alan Johnson, Yvette Cooper, Ed Balls etc were in charge. Push polling at its best. The establishment must be bloody terrified.
Here's hoping the others are all soundly rejected especially the Blairites !

Steve Richards & Kevin McGuire were on Sky not long ago. Unfortunately I only caught the end of it but both were in total agreement that Ed M will be the Leader going into the election. They cited the constitution where apparently 20% of MP's would need to write to the Party not just demanding the Leader stand down but naming their candidate for replacement. If they all named the same person, a special meeting would then be convened & all of this would take much much longer than 6 months therefore it just won't be happening.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I thought majority Tory rule was becoming less likely because of demographics, internal splits and UKIP.

But I guess it was those Lib Dems that dunnit.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:
YouGov were quick off the mark with that, you'd almost think they were expecting today's 'news'.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 18.14.03.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 18.14.03.png (24.49 KiB) Viewed 12976 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

BTW RR2 did anyone respond to your Elle idea? I've been pretty busy and needed precise instructions on what to send to whom :oops:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I was just invited to complete a Tory surfer by William Hague

The thank you screen came up as
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 18.20.43.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 18.20.43.png (26.97 KiB) Viewed 12958 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:BTW RR2 did anyone respond to your Elle idea? I've been pretty busy and needed precise instructions on what to send to whom :oops:
I suggested earlier that FTN tweet Lucy Powell direct re getting an Elle interview with Ed Miliband - she's probably the person with most energy to pick up such an idea at this moment in time. Direct message rather than public tweet?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

by…

answers on a postcard to….
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:BTW RR2 did anyone respond to your Elle idea? I've been pretty busy and needed precise instructions on what to send to whom :oops:
I suggested earlier that FTN tweet Lucy Powell direct re getting an Elle interview with Ed Miliband - she's probably the person with most energy to pick up such an idea at this moment in time. Direct message rather than public tweet?
OK we just followed her today ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
OK we just followed her today ;-)
Can't DM her I'm afraid…..
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

For anyone feeling down because of today's shennanigans about Ed, this will make you smile.

Lovely video and more pics as well on the link

Orphaned Baby Otter Learning To Swim At Chicago's Shedd Aquarium Redefines Cute

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 06 Nov, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Can't DM her I'm afraid…..
Which is why I suggested we put the idea into writing & send it to her constituency address. Do we have any members of FTN from MCR Central ?