Friday 7th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 7th November 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:
yahyah wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 26m26 minutes ago
Under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, it is illegal for a US registered company to bribe foreign officials. News Corp registered in Delaware

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 27m27 minutes ago
As others have pointed out, NOTW now has two criminal convictions for conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office. US problems loom
Evenin' all (tips metaphorical tin-foil hat :) )

Did you see these as well? Dots being joined....

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... d-the-nca/

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... stand.html

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... ia-newton/

What was all that about the other year, breaking up/changing the name of New International to News Corp, News UK etc....a way of trying to legally worm their way out of trouble in the US ?
That wouldn't work. But I guess it's probably very narrowly defined in the first place.

American companies must have people convicted all the time all over the world.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh blimey - this is an absolute heart breaker.
Woman dies after farewell to horse at Wigan hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-29951094
But what fantastic NHS nurses and people who cared about this lady who made this possible.
Well that's got me blubbering here, lovely effort from all concerned though..
Me too – and seconded/thirded
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ignore / never mind the recommendation by Andrew Sparrow ... it's still worth a read.
AndrewSparrow @AndrewSparrow · 3h 3 hours ago
“@SebastianEPayne: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …” > v good on Messina, Axelrod and UK election
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very funny series of tweets from Faisal Islam at the Rochester & Strood hustings.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/with_replies
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Hi all.
The Week In 50 Funny Tweets: Starring #AskNigelFarage, Russell Brand And Halloween
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... ostpopular
Worth it for the attached.
Attachments
t.jpg
t.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 16401 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Peter Henley @BBCPeterH · 8h 8 hours ago
UKIP at war in Portsmouth after dumping PPC Doug Denny - here's his stinging resignation letter
https://twitter.com/BBCPeterH
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Good morning night PF.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I don't know why but this really made me chuckle

robert crilly retweeted
Gemima Clairmont ‏@GemimaClairmont 5m5 minutes ago
Anyone else find that when the name David Cameron is spoken aloud it sounds exactly the same as Asshole Weasel Face?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... chancellor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

osbrone-claims-eu-1-point-7bn-uk-chancellor

sic.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Fair to say Osborne and Cameron are getting a universal slating BTL :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Cameron's not looking so glossy and unbending these days is he?

What a ****ing idiot. Talk about picking your battles. He invented a fight over nothing then lost it. Pathetic.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Actually Crosby may be looking for a new job!
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Cameron's not looking so glossy and unbending these days is he?

What a ****ing idiot. Talk about picking your battles. He invented a fight over nothing then lost it. Pathetic.
And yet in a brief visit to the G nearly every piece is about Miliband. The tories will walk off laughing. And unscathed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies if someone has already posted this. From the DWP website link below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bene ... -into-work
Press release
Benefit cap: thousands move into work

Department for Work and Pensions and The Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP
6 November 2014
Simplifying the welfare system and making sure work pays, Employment and Welfare

More than 12,000 households have made the choice to move into work or stop claiming Housing Benefit because of the benefit cap.

A key part of the long-term economic plan, capping benefits means no-one receives more in out-of-work benefits than the average household income and, as a result, some of the biggest benefit claims in the country have been stopped.

Over 50,000 households have had their benefits capped since April 2013. Over half of households have had their benefits cut by up to £50 a week, whereas a few have been capped by as much as £600 a week. This has put a stop to people claiming a massive £57,000 in benefits equivalent to a salary of £74,000.
Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said:
Our welfare reforms are, at their core, about supporting people off benefits and in to work – putting an end to the cycles of welfare dependency.

The benefit cap has had a real impact in changing attitudes and behaviours. By putting an end to runaway benefit claims, and introducing a system which guarantees you will always be better off in work, we are incentivising people to move into employment. Every month hundreds of people affected by the cap are moving into jobs and gaining financial security.
Foul.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

diGriz wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Cameron's not looking so glossy and unbending these days is he?

And yet in a brief visit to the G nearly every piece is about Miliband. The tories will walk off laughing. And unscathed.
Indeed. Here's the Times :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 20.54.27.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 20.54.27.png (46.55 KiB) Viewed 16316 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

diGriz wrote:

Tories have to use USA politician strength bodyguard protection. Disgraceful government, wretched leadership. Fear, lies & disruption.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:Apologies if someone has already posted this. From the DWP website link below:

Press release

6 November 2014
Simplifying the welfare system and making sure work pays, Employment and Welfare

More than 12,000 households have made the choice to move into work or stop claiming Housing Benefit because of the benefit cap.

A key part of the long-term economic plan, capping benefits means no-one receives more in out-of-work benefits than the average household income and, as a result, some of the biggest benefit claims in the country have been stopped.

Over 50,000 households have had their benefits capped since April 2013. Over half of households have had their benefits cut by up to £50 a week, whereas a few have been capped by as much as £600 a week. This has put a stop to people claiming a massive £57,000 in benefits equivalent to a salary of £74,000.
Our welfare reforms are, at their core, about supporting people off benefits and in to work – putting an end to the cycles of welfare dependency.

The benefit cap has had a real impact in changing attitudes and behaviours. By putting an end to runaway benefit claims, and introducing a system which guarantees you will always be better off in work, we are incentivising people to move into employment. Every month hundreds of people affected by the cap are moving into jobs and gaining financial security.
Foul.
I thought they had another bollocking for misuse of statistics and misleading press-releases only the other day :fire: :wall:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Ignore / never mind the recommendation by Andrew Sparrow ... it's still worth a read.
AndrewSparrow @AndrewSparrow · 3h 3 hours ago
“@SebastianEPayne: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …” > v good on Messina, Axelrod and UK election
From the article linked above:
During the 2010 election, the total spending by all the parties in Britain was nearly $50 million, according to the Electoral Commission in London. In the 2012 U.S. presidential election, the Center for Responsive Politics estimates spending at $7 billion.
Jesus.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Yvette Cooper letter to Theresa May asking her to explain why there will be no vote on the European Arrest on Monday

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1020266 ... ing-her-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@LadyCentauria
I thought they had another bollocking for misuse of statistics and misleading press-releases only the other day
They don't care.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Exclusive report on the coup that never was by me and @LEJ88 in tomorrow's Morning Star:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4 prospective "plotters" on front page....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Yvette Cooper letter to Theresa May asking her to explain why there will be no vote on the European Arrest on Monday

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1020266 ... ing-her-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, there's the Tory front bench slapped (metaphorically) upside the head.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Fury as Farage demands to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph: Ukip leader accused of making Remembrance Day 'all about him'
Nigel Farage claims millions of Ukip voters have been snubbed
Insists Ukip won the Euro elections but other smaller parties do attend
Westminster is 'in for a terrible shock' and Ukip will be there next year
Rules state parties with six MPs are represented - Ukip has just one

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3IQ7Z0Zx3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edit to add...
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges · 31m31 minutes ago  London, England
@jameschappers Given he's just embraced an MEP whose party leader is a Holocaust denier, he's got some nerve.
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Apologies if someone has already posted this. From the DWP website link below:

Press release

6 November 2014

Foul.
I thought they had another bollocking for misuse of statistics and misleading press-releases only the other day :fire: :wall:

Yes.Lies ,end of,and as I keep saying I hope no carers "made the choice" of reducing/stopping their roles to detrimental effect because they are penalised for doing the right thing,more likely just fined.The evidence actually states that you cannot say what IDS regularly does.As,we said last night J. Portes,has e-mailed the UKSA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Exclusive report on the coup that never was by me and @LEJ88 in tomorrow's Morning Star:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4 prospective "plotters" on front page....
I love the owl/fox Twitter wallpaper. Does that make me shallow? Caring for the appearance? I like owls & foxes. Alive & in the wild. Of course there was never a coup planned. Just look at the timing. That alone ought to have reassured us nothing twitchy going down.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@HindleA
Yes.Lies ,end of,and as I keep saying I hope no carers "made the choice" of reducing/stopping their roles to detrimental effect because they are penalised for doing the right thing,more likely just fined.The evidence actually states that you cannot say what IDS regularly does.As,we said last night J. Portes,has e-mailed the UKSA
Incredible.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:As a follow up to my earlier post.
UK weather: Get ready for ten days of heavy rain and 50mph gales
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 45868.html
We had water coming in early afternoon today - leaky roof - Stoke. I'm grateful for the swift action of the maintenance peoples. I was at the computer, looked up at the odd sound - water fast dripping in a cracked seam in the ceiling above the book case. I was frightened like a kid. Thank goodness for the maintenance people. Good workers. Ignored my slovenly housekeeping.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Great moment on Gogglebox for those who support the NHS.

Guess you had to be there….
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, thank you for this link!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Robin Williams post-mortem results showed no traces of alcohol or drugs. (Breaking news streamers on BBC News)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Paul Blomfield Labour MP
“One carer told me how she criss-crosses Sheffield to visit the people she cares for. She’ll be at work for 8 hours, but is only paid for contact time with clients. It means that she’ll get just 4 or 5 hours pay for a full day’s work, which brings her wages well below the national minimum. This is illegal and all care workers need to know that they must be paid for every hour they’re at work, including travel time. Anyone who thinks that they, or anyone they know, are being paid below the minimum wage or not paid for travel time should contact the national Pay & Work Rights Helpline on 0800 917 2368.”
(my bold)

Thank you.

Good night, y'all, it's been a long day.

http://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/news/new ... arers.html
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Night, @CJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article ... /statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leeds Utd have been issued with a winding up order ,this is their response.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article ... /statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leeds won the 1974 League Championship ,the same year that there were two elections.(tenuous political link)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:

Press release

6 November 2014

Foul.
They got bollocked for the same claims in 2013.

Jonathan Portes is on to them about this one.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... CMP=twt_gu

Leeds won the 1974 League Championship ,the same year that there were two elections.(tenuous political link)
My ex-brother in law is going to be utterly distraught.

So not all bad, then.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Hobiejoe wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... CMP=twt_gu

My ex-brother in law is going to be utterly distraught.

So not all bad, then.
Utter non story.

Used like this winding up orders are an attempt to get an unpaid bill paid. I am not sure what the club is saying about abuse of process, if it is true the offending parties are going to get a kicking. I suspect however we won't hear any more of this. The bill will probably get paid at some point.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Two articles in the Guardian that are basically total bollocks.

No comments permitted, presumably they don't want the abuse. Let us hope the unnamed MP is named and deselected.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... re-critics

The above is utter bullshit, Labour are expecting to get squeezed in Rochester. Third party at by election. Wintour is having a laugh.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-miliband

The above is just content free shite.

The Morning Star has more professional journalists than the Guardian, says something.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Simon Wren Lewis really doesn't like George Osborne (apart from him setting up the OBR)

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... iumph.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the UK’s leading supermarket chain, Tesco, discovered that they may have overstated their profits by mistiming some payments, four senior executives, including its UK managing director, were suspended while the matter was investigated. "Disappointment would be an understatement," said Tesco chief executive Dave Lewis. So will the UK’s chief executive, David Cameron, be reprimanding the Chancellor over his false claims? No, because given the stress that Cameron put on reducing the total additional contribution just before the negotiations, it is clear he was in on the deceit. Unlike Tesco, they think this kind of deception is just part and parcel of their business, and of course they also think that they can get away with it.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Two articles in the Guardian that are basically total bollocks.

No comments permitted, presumably they don't want the abuse. Let us hope the unnamed MP is named and deselected.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... re-critics

The above is utter bullshit, Labour are expecting to get squeezed in Rochester. Third party at by election. Wintour is having a laugh.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-miliband

The above is just content free shite.

The Morning Star has more professional journalists than the Guardian, says something.
I was going to quip on one of the Guardian trollfests earlier that I look forward to all of the 'Rochester bad for Ed' articles. I assumed it would be a week away though.

It will be interesting to watch this weekend. The balance of reporting over Ed's woes and Cameron/Osborne releasing a whopper of a lie to the public.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

As Simon Wren Lewis says, if Osborne only paid half there must be some countries that lost out on rather a lot of money.

If there are, they took it very calmly.

Post-truth politics.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More post truth politics.

From PMQs.
Edward Miliband (Doncaster North) (Lab): A vital tool that has helped to bring murderers, rapists and paedophiles to justice is the European arrest warrant. Why is the Prime Minister delaying having a vote on it?

The Prime Minister: I am not delaying having a vote on it. There will be a vote on it. We need, in order to have a vote on it, the small matter of a negotiation to take place within Europe, which up to now the Spanish have been blocking. I think the Spanish will shortly remove their block, and at that moment we will be able to have a vote.

Edward Miliband: We all know the reason why the Prime Minister is not having a vote: it is the by-election in Rochester and Strood. He is paralysed by fear of another Back-Bench rebellion on Europe. So I want to make an offer to him. We have a Labour Opposition day next week. We will give him the time for a vote on the European arrest warrant, and we will help him to get it through.

The Prime Minister: There is only one problem with the right hon. Gentleman’s second question: we are going to have a vote, we going to have it before the Rochester by-election—his questions have just collapsed.
They aren't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Gosh 25 years,since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I happened to run(stagger,crawl) the Berlin Marathon which went through the Bradenburg Gate for the first time in the week of unification.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Yvette Cooper letter to Theresa May asking her to explain why there will be no vote on the European Arrest on Monday

Well, there's the Tory front bench slapped (metaphorically) upside the head.
Fair play to Cooper, that is a hefty kick.

Now if only she was as protective of our civil liberties.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:Gosh 25 years,since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I happened to run(stagger,crawl) the Berlin Marathon which went through the Bradenburg Gate for the first time in the week of unification.
Nice, the best I managed was visiting Unter Den Linden S-Bahn station pretty much straight after it re-opened.

No clue until I spotted the 1940s German script everywhere.
Release the Guardvarks.