Friday 7th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Friday 7th November 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

I don't know if this was referenced yesterday. Watt and Wintour are loving this judging by the number of articles they're banging out like a couple of horny teenage boys.

Blunkett said: “There is a great deal that we can do together. Higher visibility for all shadow ministers with the freedom to write and speak more freely. The presentation of a cause displaying our values as well as joined-up policies with a clear narrative would clearly help.

“This is about a team approach, presenting a potential government – not a president elected after a contest with David Cameron who, at the last count, had 22 backbench opponents with formal letters in to the chairman of the 1922 committee displaying their disquiet at his premiership.”

I'm assuming we're pretty much in agreement that this non story is going to blow over, but how does everyone feel this is likely to impact the Rochester by election VI (if at all).
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 7th November 2014

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning SD, morning all.
....... but how does everyone feel this is likely to impact the Rochester by election VI (if at all)
Honestly? Very little I think. Labour have put in so much effort on the doorstep, including Miliband himself, that the people of Rochester are a lot better informed than much of the electorate; the GMB union have thrown their weight behind the campaign as well, and will have members with us (hoping to get there again myself) over the weekend. Obviously there are other factors at play here, so a solid third would be a good result and a decent springboard for Naushabah Khan to take the seat next May.

The BBC are getting stupid now though, out of control. Even their comedy output (with the honourable exception of Ms Toksvig and her colleagues) is infected, with clumsy "doesn't Ed look weird" segments on everything from HIGNFY to Russell Brand (three minutes worth last night) to Mock The Week; I pulled Dara up about this on Twitter and, although he tried to deny that they were being told to do it, he actually came across as embarrassed about the section. If Labour do win next year then I think Nick Robinson will need to polish up his CV; like the right wing press reaction, which you know is driven by fear of Leveson, the BBC's output comes across as increasingly panicky - "oh bugger, what have we done, if they get in ......". :wall:

But it is all getting so blatant now that it may turn counter-productive, as it did with Dacre's cowardly attack last year. Let us hope so, it would be so deliciously ironic if this week turned out to be the week the media won the GE for Labour.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:It won't affect Rochester and Strood (to my mind any issues there might be around Miliband have been factored into the price up to 2015) but that won't stop the commentariat blaming any perceived poor performance by Labour on Miliband's poor personal ratings. This is all going to be self-fuelling and self-fulfilling from now on - the media raises an issue with Miliband, a few disaffected Blairites agree, and the media picks up on that, and so on.
I think it hugely depends on how the party behaves going forwards. Yesterday two people made unguarded comments and a huge, almost pre-orchestrated, media machine sprang into action. The clear intent of this machine was to destabilise the Labour Party and force a change to a more right wing leader (of course they might get a more left wing one).

At this point you can almost see a huge exclamation mark hit the party, a classic WTF moment.

The usual malcontents have shut up, if Smithson is to be believed everybody has shut up. The Times story generated an immediate response from the Labour press team. I would like to think the Blairites suddenly realised that this sort of behaviour was going to cost them a lot of votes. The idea you can spend 2 months of internal debate on the future of the party 6 months from an election is risible and they now realise it.

The immediate response from the new team in charge suggests Ed has made a very smart appointment. I rather suspect the party will now shut up, and MPs that don't will rapidly be silenced by colleagues in marginals.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:It won't affect Rochester and Strood (to my mind any issues there might be around Miliband have been factored into the price up to 2015) but that won't stop the commentariat blaming any perceived poor performance by Labour on Miliband's poor personal ratings. This is all going to be self-fuelling and self-fulfilling from now on - the media raises an issue with Miliband, a few disaffected Blairites agree, and the media picks up on that, and so on.
I think it hugely depends on how the party behaves going forwards. Yesterday two people made unguarded comments and a huge, almost pre-orchestrated, media machine sprang into action. The clear intent of this machine was to destabilise the Labour Party and force a change to a more right wing leader (of course they might get a more left wing one).

At this point you can almost see a huge exclamation mark hit the party, a classic WTF moment.

The usual malcontents have shut up, if Smithson is to be believed everybody has shut up. The Times story generated an immediate response from the Labour press team. I would like to think the Blairites suddenly realised that this sort of behaviour was going to cost them a lot of votes. The idea you can spend 2 months of internal debate on the future of the party 6 months from an election is risible and they now realise it.

The immediate response from the new team in charge suggests Ed has made a very smart appointment. I rather suspect the party will now shut up, and MPs that don't will rapidly be silenced by colleagues in marginals.
Even Mark Ferguson, who hasn't always been Ed's biggest fan, has come out fighting.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/a-message ... r-shut-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

John Mann was very mealy mouthed about Ed M when interviewed on Radio 4.
Says we don't need any more policies, just Ed getting out listening to people on the doorsteps.
His tone of voice didn't exactly help matters.

Is it going to be like late 2009/early 2010 all over again ?
Still, the Guardian helping the Two Twats [Danzcuk and his pal] and the right wing media spread despondency in the YahYah household.
That's what they want, us gloomy and fighting amongst ourselves. :(
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Morning SD, morning all.
....... but how does everyone feel this is likely to impact the Rochester by election VI (if at all)
Honestly? Very little I think. Labour have put in so much effort on the doorstep, including Miliband himself, that the people of Rochester are a lot better informed than much of the electorate; the GMB union have thrown their weight behind the campaign as well, and will have members with us (hoping to get there again myself) over the weekend. Obviously there are other factors at play here, so a solid third would be a good result and a decent springboard for Naushabah Khan to take the seat next May.

The BBC are getting stupid now though, out of control. Even their comedy output (with the honourable exception of Ms Toksvig and her colleagues) is infected, with clumsy "doesn't Ed look weird" segments on everything from HIGNFY to Russell Brand (three minutes worth last night) to Mock The Week; I pulled Dara up about this on Twitter and, although he tried to deny that they were being told to do it, he actually came across as embarrassed about the section. If Labour do win next year then I think Nick Robinson will need to polish up his CV; like the right wing press reaction, which you know is driven by fear of Leveson, the BBC's output comes across as increasingly panicky - "oh bugger, what have we done, if they get in ......". :wall:

But it is all getting so blatant now that it may turn counter-productive, as it did with Dacre's cowardly attack last year. Let us hope so, it would be so deliciously ironic if this week turned out to be the week the media won the GE for Labour.
Morning TGS (and morning all)

Has Toksvig stopped the 2 minute Milihate on the News Quiz then? I stopped listening (although the majority of the content is entertaining) a few months ago - she seemed to be shoehorning in an 'Ed is weird/useless' comment (in the required derisory tone) at least once in every broadcast.

I think the 'bugger - what'll we do if they get in' panic is on the money - it's not just the Beebs news agenda though - it runs a lot deeper, throughout the establishment as a whole, I suspect - Mr Ed patently isn't 'one of them' and they don't know how to deal with it - I should think OGRFG is due another colossal fur cup shortly (he's managed a week with just the EU Bill debacle, UC debacle, CSA debacle to be going on with)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good response from Peter Hain on Radio 4 now !
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:John Mann was very mealy mouthed about Ed M when interviewed on Radio 4.
Says we don't need any more policies, just Ed getting out listening to people on the doorsteps.
His tone of voice didn't exactly help matters.

Is it going to be like late 2009/early 2010 all over again ?
Still, the Guardian helping the Two Twats [Danzcuk and his pal] and the right wing media has helped spread despondency in the YahYah household.
That's what they want, us gloomy and fighting amongst ourselves. :(
Mann and Danzcuk are very annoying - they can't be faulted the stuff they're trying to do around the CSA Inquiry (and they seem to be the only MPs pushing hard), but then there's this flip side. They are the only 'dissenters' to be found though - once they've been interviewed 47 times for the hourly Newscast the novelty will wear off. As TE says above - the most likely net effect of all this is a more unified (not that they weren't unified before) Labour Party...which can only be bad news for someone or other
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Have we had this yet? (I know there was comment around Coulson/Perjury Trial but not sure if this was linked)...

http://fothom.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/ ... rnational/

Is there some sort of 'destroying evidence' offence? Genuine question - surely if it's mentioned in court that 13m emails have been wiped, but the only one they did manage to find is hugely incriminating, it would possibly be beyond reasonable doubt that they were wiped to hide evidence - or is that too speculative?
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Good response from Peter Hain on Radio 4 now !
Just listened on the way to work. As Justin Webb said "you sound angry about this". Hain made the point that while the 'Westminster bubble' are going on and on about this, he has a constituent with liver cancer that has had all his benefits stopped and there are more like this.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Aahh...c'est pauvre :cry:

The Fake Sheik seems to be sensitive to publicity...

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/mazher-ma ... ama-expose

...but the last paragraph tells the real story (IMHO)
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:Have we had this yet? (I know there was comment around Coulson/Perjury Trial but not sure if this was linked)...

http://fothom.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/ ... rnational/

Is there some sort of 'destroying evidence' offence? Genuine question - surely if it's mentioned in court that 13m/90m (take your pick) emails have been wiped, but the only one they did manage to find is hugely incriminating, it would possibly be beyond reasonable doubt that they were wiped to hide evidence - or is that too speculatative?
I presume it would fall under Perverting The Course Of Justice, although as we found with the hacking trial, it's very difficult to prove unless there is clear evidence that the material was destroyed or misplaced with the express intent of destroying evidence of a potential crime.

It might also be one of those weird instances where there has to have been another crime proven before it is confirmed that the destruction of evidence relating to it is also a crime. Or something.
Thanks - that sort of helps :lol: As I suspected, due to the nature of the British Justice system and the amount of money involved with Ruperts advisors, they know that, no matter how dodgy it looks, nothing can be proven...so they get a way with it. Thankfully, it's just one drip in a whole ocean full of drip drip drippety drips ;)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:

Morning TGS (and morning all)

Has Toksvig stopped the 2 minute Milihate on the News Quiz then? I stopped listening (although the majority of the content is entertaining) a few months ago - she seemed to be shoehorning in an 'Ed is weird/useless' comment (in the required derisory tone) at least once in every broadcast.
No, they haven't. There were two references to Ed being unelectable in the last programme. Not related to any news story about him or Labour, just thrown in for the sake of it ('Ed Miliband, meanwhile, has allegedly refused to wear a T-shirt with 'this is what a Prime Minister looks like' on it). There was a crack about The Libdems in general as well, to be 'fair'. The programme will take the piss out of Cameron and the Tories, but only in relation to a specific story, it seems. Ed is fair game whatever he does or doesn't do.

It's the 'drip, drip, drip' of casual mentions to the effect of 'well, everyone knows he's weird/useless/unelectable, that's just a given' that infuriates me. It just reinforces a fake fact. The BBC is doing a Lynton, and quite brilliantly.
As I recall most of the anti-Ed stuff last week was from Samira Ahmed, so I largely ignored it as an irrelevance. Yes, Sandi does shoehorn in the odd reference, but while they continue to employ Jeremy Hardy there will be just as much dirt dished on Cameron, Clegg and Farage, so a semblance of balance is maintained.

Don't get me wrong. If Ed does something particularly bad or crass then he'd be fair game and I'd probably be laughing along with everybody else; but he hasn't, and usually doesn't, so this is obviously and blatantly orchestrated. As for Danczuk, Stringer, Mann and Watson, my fervent hope is that Rosie Winterton will be having a little 'chat' with them today.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

A journalist with a conscience....no wonder he didn't last with Newcorpse...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Time for a little refresher. :lol:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -Ukip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ConHome. Interesting "know your enemy" read.
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... onent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I understand the front page of today's Times was inserted on last night's thread.

Well, here's what's inside...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:If the party does manage to bring Ed down from within, that'll be it for me and Labour. And politics.
Well said Robert & exactly how I feel.

When Ed was elected Leader, for the very first time I sat up & started paying attention to politics. Previously, politics was something that happened once a year around budget time or at election time. Ed came along & changed my mind & since then politics has taken over my life !

If the idiots in my party can't see the damage they are doing to their colleagues & the wider party members let alone the society that needs a Labour govt, they shouldn't be in Labour. They need to, as LabourList has said today, put up or shut up.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/a-message ... r-shut-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they do succeed in forcing Ed out, I will cut up my membership card & leave the party. No longer will I be watching every political show on TV, no more PMQ's & crucially, no more voting - for anybody.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

refitman wrote:
Just listened on the way to work. As Justin Webb said "you sound angry about this". Hain made the point that while the 'Westminster bubble' are going on and on about this, he has a constituent with liver cancer that has had all his benefits stopped and there are more like this.
Owen Smith wrote a piece about 'real life'
Try it yourself. Next time you’re waiting for the bus or in the supermarket queue take a minute to have a chat with the person next to you, ask them about Parliament.

Chances are they’ll not be particularly bothered about the latest up and downs in the opinion polls (even the Ashcroft marginal ones), who said what to who in PMQs or the latest ‘witty’ sketch piece in the Telegraph. If they were they’d probably know that over the course of this year there have been over 400 major polls and Labour has been ahead in almost every one – oh and those Ashcroft ones have Labour looking even stronger in the key seats.

However, so much of the Westminster tittle-tattle has become like off-putting mood music that actually obscures reality. That’s not to say for a second that people aren’t interested in politics, quite the opposite. It’s just that the vast majority of their concerns are firmly rooted in the real world.
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/westminst ... s-reality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Peter Hain spoke of is life & death in the real world, not this manufactured crap we get in the media.

(Can't express how angry I am at all this - especially now, 6 months away from the GE) :fire:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
refitman wrote:
Owen Smith wrote a piece about 'real life'
Try it yourself. Next time you’re waiting for the bus or in the supermarket queue take a minute to have a chat with the person next to you, ask them about Parliament.

Chances are they’ll not be particularly bothered about the latest up and downs in the opinion polls (even the Ashcroft marginal ones), who said what to who in PMQs or the latest ‘witty’ sketch piece in the Telegraph. If they were they’d probably know that over the course of this year there have been over 400 major polls and Labour has been ahead in almost every one – oh and those Ashcroft ones have Labour looking even stronger in the key seats.

However, so much of the Westminster tittle-tattle has become like off-putting mood music that actually obscures reality. That’s not to say for a second that people aren’t interested in politics, quite the opposite. It’s just that the vast majority of their concerns are firmly rooted in the real world.
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/westminst ... s-reality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Peter Hain spoke of is life & death in the real world, not this manufactured crap we get in the media.

(Can't express how angry I am at all this - especially now, 6 months away from the GE) :fire:
Hello.

I'm with you. As I said the other day, if Ed Miliband goes then so do I. Along with my membership subscription fees and my donations. I'm saving up to give a more substantial donation (not a fortune but I'd like to make it about £100 which is a lot, to me) nearer to the election. Well, they can whistle for that if they're not careful. I get the feeling that a lot of grassroots members feel the same way. Ed Miliband is the best thing that's happened to the Labour Party for a long time. And, setting aside my feelings, it's not as if there's an obviously universally popular alternative waiting in the wings who could sweep in and make everything perfect. So close to the election, too. Madness. Surely it's obvious that only a right-winger would find approval with the press? What's the point in that? I don't believe people, in this climate, would flock to that banner.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning, everyone!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Britain’s trade deficit widened in September after imports rose more than exports as demand from the UK’s main trading partners in Europe waned.

The goods deficit increased to £9.8bn from £8.9bn in August, mainly because of a jump in oil imports from countries outside the EU.

Overall, a £1.8bn increase in imports to £33.8bn was greater than a £1bn rise in exports to £24bn according to the Office for National Statistics.

Economists had forecast a smaller deficit of £9.4bn and said it was part of a wider trend of disappointing trade data.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -september" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boy George is a genius isn't he ?!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Re the above discussion, let's not forget that Toksvig is a card carrying LibDem.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Good morning, everyone!
Good night morning PF.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the above discussion, let's not forget that Toksvig is a card carrying LibDem.
Really ? That explains a lot for me - thanks
(Morning all)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

What measurement is a "bulk"?
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... attention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

“Utter garbage”: Yvette Cooper denies succession pact story
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/utter-gar ... act-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote: I remembered the 'joke' in full. It was 'Ed Miliband tried to put on a t shirt saying 'this is what a Prime Minister looks like' but got his head stuck in the arm' - I think that one was Sandy rather than Samira Ahmed (who did have a dig elsewhere in the programme) and was delivered as if she were scraping something off her shoe.

Even Jeremy Hardy has a go at Ed sometimes. My point is not that they don't have a go at Cameron, Clegg and Farage, it's that when they do it relates to something specific those politicians have done or said. When they have a go at Miliband it tends to be general and taking as read that he's not PM material.
Oh yeah, that one. So poor I largely ignored it as did, iirc, most of the audience.

And yes, Jeremy Hardy has a go at Ed sometimes, usually (and rightly) when he has done something daft but sometimes just because he thinks Ed is being too timid (Hardy suffers more than a little from More Socialist Than Yow syndrome); mind you he will also, and often does, have a go at Clegg, Cameron and (especially) Farage. It is still better than the BBC's TV output though, even allowing for these blips.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Who is 'sanguine6' posting at the Groan ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

pk1 wrote:Who is 'sanguine6' posting at the Groan ?
It has been suggested it is rusty, but they don't seem *quite* as rabid......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
It is astonishing how he remembers which hat he is wearing ..... well, mostly remembers.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Former News of the World news editor Ian Edmondson has been jailed for eight months for his role in phone hacking.

Edmondson, 45, is the eighth person to be convicted over hacking at the now closed Sunday tabloid newspaper.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29953209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One rogue reporter.....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
There are definite similarities in style yet the content is different but I did wonder if they were one & the same.

I see Hugo has been 'outed' again - will his pseudonym survive the mods this time around I wonder :lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
It is astonishing how he remembers which hat he is wearing ..... well, mostly remembers.
If rusty's been reincarnated as anyone, I think it's hbt2014. Got the same sneering 'lefties' and 'miliiclown'. :toss:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: It has been suggested it is rusty, but they don't seem *quite* as rabid......
If rusty's been reincarnated as anyone, I think it's hbt2014. Got the same sneering 'lefties' and 'miliiclown'. :toss:
Reincarnated? Has Rusty finally been sent to the naughty step or even *gasp* been deaded?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

He seems like RClayton's elder brother to me, similar "reasonable" (at times) arguments, ladled on with a patronising touch, but prone to much snappier replies and cutting, short paragraphs.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote: I remember Mr sockpuppet BonaFido/ElephantofAcquitaine/AchillesSeal/PierianThing
Oh god, I'd forgotten all about them !

:lol: what fun we used to have, back in those days.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Reincarnated? Has Rusty finally been sent to the naughty step or even *gasp* been deaded?
No. You can still see his profile but he hasn't posted since 22nd October.

Useful I guess to keep a few identities open....

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/rustinpeace/public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Disgusting !
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 19508 times
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:Disgusting !
And desperate indeed. Typical BBC fare.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
No. You can still see his profile but he hasn't posted since 22nd October.

Useful I guess to keep a few identities open....

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/rustinpeace/public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since nesting came in the profile stays even if the account is deleted, so it is not always easy to tell now when somebody has been offed; it would be very clumsy of him to have lost that account after keeping it running for so many years, and "delicious" for the rest of us. :D Mind you, so many of us complained that the Mods may have been more assiduous in dealing with blatant trolling and multiple accounts; has the Chickie creature also vanished, as that would be good supporting evidence for that supposition?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Totally off topic.Couldn't be more off topic if I tried.
Has anyone a recipe for duck and apricot curry?Been looking around but no success.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Rebecca wrote:Totally off topic.Couldn't be more off topic if I tried.
Has anyone a recipe for duck and apricot curry?Been looking around but no success.
Not tried that but sounds scrummy.

I can find a beef & apricot recipe so couldn't you just substitute the duck for the beef ?

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/recipes/beef/ ... curry.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:

I can find a beef & apricot recipe so couldn't you just substitute the duck for the beef ?
Good idea.
I ate it years ago,in a small pub in Scotland.It was the night of the Lockerbie horror,we were quite nearby.
But,however horrible that night was,I'm sad to say it was the most delicious curry I have ever eaten.Just taken a couple of decades to think about cooking it!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/recipes/beef/ ... curry.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or, alternatively, adapt a chicken & apricot recipe? This is a recipe I've used (well, adapted) a few times; it is Parsi rather than Indian subcontinent, something a little different

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chick ... icot_15424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

08 October 2014 9:26 AM (Interesting its dated before all the "scramble-get-Ed" news broke)
Not Up to the Job? Two Can Play at That Game
If you see articles in the newspapers, or hear items on other media, saying that Ed Miliband is ‘not up to it’, do you ever wonder why so many people use the same phrase, or where it comes from?
Here’s a hint. This e-mail was sent to me, and presumably to scores of other political journalists, by the Tory Party.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/ ... -game.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry about the link but love his comparison of the fish pointer
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I think parsi rather than curry is definitely the way to go with duck and apricot. Highly aromatic but not spicy?

Yum
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

pk1 wrote:

Sorry realised I'd ignored PK's contribution to the culinary debate. Interestingly, it looks to me more Malaysian in style than sub-continental, so my feelings hold. The peanutty, coconutty version sounds equally delicious.

And now I'm getting very hungry [heads to lunch ;-) ]
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Former News of the World news editor Ian Edmondson has been jailed for eight months for his role in phone hacking.

Edmondson, 45, is the eighth person to be convicted over hacking at the now closed Sunday tabloid newspaper.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29953209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One rogue reporter.....
'X million spent, only one conviction'...
... and he pled guilty!

However:
Journalist, prison officer and his ex-partner convicted in UK of paying for stories about James Bulger's killer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29955565