Friday 7th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 7th November 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29953209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One rogue reporter.....
'X million spent, only one conviction'...
... and he pled guilty!

However:
Journalist, prison officer and his ex-partner convicted in UK of paying for stories about James Bulger's killer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29955565
Ooh a bit of authentic Scottish English there ;-)
pled
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Apologies for reproducing the entire article but I'm doing so in case it 'disappears' after the EU budget demand negotiations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29939774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chancellor George Osborne has vowed to get "a better deal" for Britain as EU finance ministers discuss a £1.7bn budget payment demanded by Brussels.

A proposal to extend the deadline to pay the bill from 1 December to 1 September 2015 is being considered.

Prime Minister David Cameron, who has vowed not to hand over any money next month, said there would be a "major problem" if the issue was unresolved.

He said he would not be happy without changes to the bill and a new deadline.

The demand for a one-off £1.7bn (2.1bn euros) surcharge to the UK's annual contribution to the EU has sparked anger across the political spectrum in the UK.

Speaking during Friday's meeting of 28 EU finance chiefs, French finance minister Michael Sapin suggested the size of the payment meant the UK could be given special dispensation and the deadline for payment could be extended until next autumn.

'Conditions'
But the BBC's Damian Grammaticas in Brussels said Mr Sapin did not mention any proposal to reduce the total sum.

Speaking in Helsinki, where he is attending a meeting of Nordic leaders, Mr Cameron said the was unwilling to pay "anything like" the £1.7bn demanded.

The prime minister said he would "not be content" without changes to the scale of the bill and a new deadline.

He said "if those two conditions are met, we can make progress", and said he would wait to see how George Osborne's negotiations in Brussels fared.

Before Friday's meeting, the Chancellor told journalists: "The demand that Britain should pay £1.7bn by the 1 December is unacceptable. I wanted this on the agenda. It is on the agenda. I will make sure we get a better deal for Britain."

'Precise and just'
But some of Mr Osborne's counterparts in Europe suggested it was out of the question that the UK should contribute less than the sum demanded.

Magdalena Andersson, the Swedish finance minister, said the issue was a "technical" one while Poland's Mateusz Szczurek said the rules were "precise and just"

"The budget contributions are based on gross national income and I don't really believe that should be changed," he said.

A final agreement is not expected to be reached at Friday's meeting.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that a compromise based on phasing in interest-free payments over a given time is one that David Cameron "will not be able to sell back home".

He added that "after the stance he has taken", Mr Cameron "needs the total figure cut rather than phasing in payments.

"If he doesn't get an offer of that, or George Osborne doesn't get it face-to-face in Brussels today, there will have to be more talks to get more concessions," he added.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the UK was short of allies in its attempts to re-negotiate the bill. "I keep hearing the prime minister say we won't pay by the first of December," he said. "Well I expect what it really means is we'll pay on the second of December."

'Practical solution'
The surcharge follows an annual review of the economic performance of EU member states since 1995, which showed Britain had done better than previously thought.

Elements of the black economy - such as drugs and prostitution - have been included in the calculations for the first time.

Italy, Greece and Cyprus were also asked to make extra contributions, while France and Germany are set for refunds.

Losers Additional sum to pay
SOURCE: LEAKED EU COMMISSION DOCUMENT
United Kingdom £1,676m
Netherlands £506m
Italy £268m
Greece £70m
Cyprus £33m

Winners

Reduction
France £801m
Germany £614m
Denmark £253m
Poland £249m
Austria £232m

The row comes as the UK is seeking support for its campaign to change the way the EU operates and for more powers to be returned from Brussels to member states.

David Cameron has promised to renegotiate the UK's membership and hold a public vote on the UK's future in the EU in 2017 if he stays in power after next year's election.

European Commission spokesman Jakub Adamowicz said the £1.7bn sum was "not coming out of nowhere" and was based on "a very specific observation of the regulations".

He added that "the proportion between what the UK pays in and what it receives and how it benefits is actually a very, very positive one", and said the UK "should not lose sight of this global perspective" during the current debate.

Former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke told BBC Radio 4's Today that although it was "quite reasonable" not to pay a lump sum of £1.7bn by the 1 December, the UK did not default on its debts and a compromise will "depend on how good our case is".

He expressed confidence that Mr Osborne would negotiate a solution after there has been "a look at how the £1.7bn figure was arrived at".
The quotes contained within this piece might be useful.

As it stands at 1340hrs today, Osborne has said Britain will pay the £1.7bn in 2 separate payments but paid by Sept 2015 & there is an additional 850m euros in surcharge !

So much for Cameron screaming that he's not paying anything like the £1.7bn demanded - no he's not, it's £1.7bn plus an extra 850 million !!

Edit: sorry, seems there is no surcharge but there is the most apalling lie being formed before our eyes - Osborne claims he has halved the bill but there is not a shred of evidence to support this because all other EU finance ministers are denying this.
Last edited by pk1 on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Ooh a bit of authentic Scottish English there ;-)
pled
Born & raised in Yorkshire, lived in Scotland for 40+ years so my defence is that I'm authentic English Scottish :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon all.

This is very welcome.
A message to Labour’s anonymous rebels – put up or shut up
By the LabourList Editorial Team

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/a-message ... r-shut-up/
If these 'rebels' (I'd rather call them whingers and malcontents) do emerge from the shadows - I may well be sending them a specially designed brooch with this inscription - 'Not just rocking the boat - completely fucking the boat.'

Editing to add: - Warning - just spotted that Spinning Hugo is alive and kicking BTL on the Labour List piece.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Anne Snelgrove ‏@annesnelgrove · 13m13 minutes ago
Haha how true 'the New Statesman is in a perennial state of disappointment with the Labour Party' @TristramHuntMP on #wato
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Afternoon all.

This is very welcome.
A message to Labour’s anonymous rebels – put up or shut up
By the LabourList Editorial Team

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/a-message ... r-shut-up/
If these 'rebels' (I'd rather call them whingers and malcontents) do emerge from the shadows - I may well be sending them a specially designed brooch with this inscription - 'Not just rocking the boat - completely fucking the boat.'
Afternoon all - had a thought - if 2 unnamed Labour MPs want Miliband removed as leader, his approval rating with the PLP is 99.3% ;)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:As it stands at 1340hrs today, Osborne has said Britain will pay the £1.7bn in 2 separate payments but paid by Sept 2015 & there is an additional 850m euros in surcharge !

So much for Cameron screaming that he's not paying anything like the £1.7bn demanded - no he's not, it's £1.7bn plus an extra 850 million !!
I suspect the tactics here are to stall until after the election, all the while making a big noise about how unacceptable it is but effectively committing the next government to pay it, whereupon they can stamp their feet and howl at Labour (or whomever) for chucking money at the EU.
Isn't it time for the Tories to do what they do best? Surely the backbenchers will get constituency heat from this? Dodgy Daves' (and Gidiots') flouncery and inability to think whole thoughts must abundantly clear to them all by now? The MSM/Faridge axis isn't going to like it, and they might tell people :D

Edit to add: I get too excited sometimes - just read your update (PK1) and it seems the lie is now the truth :roll:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:As it stands at 1340hrs today, Osborne has said Britain will pay the £1.7bn in 2 separate payments but paid by Sept 2015 & there is an additional 850m euros in surcharge !

I suspect the tactics here are to stall until after the election, all the while making a big noise about how unacceptable it is but effectively committing the next government to pay it, whereupon they can stamp their feet and howl at Labour (or whomever) for chucking money at the EU.
I've just edited my post but as I understand it:

Osborne has claimed to have halved the bill but there is not a single shred of evidence to support this claim.

Apparently we will be paying £850m in 2 instalments in the second half of next year - the British rebate will be paid in full.

Osborne says the deal has been agreed with the EU Commission.

Reporter from Sky who is in Brussels said that none of the other financial ministers said that the £1.7bn figure was discussed at all.

There's an almighty stink emanating from Osborne & I suspect we are being told an enormous fat lie & I expect our media to expose it - oh.....

edit to add:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 30s30 seconds ago
No10 source: £850m paid in two phases, July + Sept, no interest/fines; unprecedented deal to apply UK rebate immediately not 1 yr in arrears
Last edited by pk1 on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

pk1 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

I've just edited my post but as I understand it:

Osborne has claimed to have halved the bill but there is not a single shred of evidence to support this claim.

Apparently we will be paying £850m in 2 instalments in the second half of next year - the British rebate will be paid in full.

Osborne says the deal has been agreed with the EU Commission.

Reporter from Sky who is in Brussels said that none of the other financial ministers said that the £1.7bn figure was discussed at all.

There's an almighty stink emanating from Osborne & I suspect we are being told an enormous fat lie & I expect our media to expose it - oh.....
Why not Tweet Richard Murphy about it?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Joe Halewood HSM retweeted
Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News Oct 22
Why universal credit won't be universal until 2018. At the earliest: http://bit.ly/1otolxN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; @paulmasonnews #c4news
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 18h 18 hours ago
I'm among the unconvinced, but the more effort that goes into undermining @Ed_Miliband the more I suspect he must be doing something right.

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 18h 18 hours ago
@AndrewDowson Was thinking more of media critics. Cameron almost certainly has more trouble in the ranks but hardly any with the media.

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 17h 17 hours ago
Perhaps media owners want us to focus on @Ed_Miliband's awkwardness to distract us from policies that would hurt them but help most voters.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

‏@bbcnickrobinson

Qs re "great deal" - Why don't other EU countries see it that way? Was rebate on extra £s ever in doubt? Why did Chancellor look nervous?
Sniff sniff, yes I can smell it !

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tony McNulty ‏@Tony_McNulty 8m8 minutes ago
@Spectator_CH @jgforsyth No - bill remains £1.7bn, paid in two halves and UK rebate brought forward a year - hasn't been halved at all.
Think McNulty has spotted how the bill has been 'halved'
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sky news correspondent in Brussels:

2015 £850m to be paid over 2 instalments to Brussels & we get rebate in full.

2016 Britain will get rebate back MINUS £850m

so actual effect is that Britain WILL be paying £1.7bn but over two years, not in a single payment.

Sneaky fucking bastards ! If only we could rely on the press to speak the truth.....

Ed Conway ‏@EdConwaySky 4m4 minutes ago
Today's "renegotiation" hardly a victory. EU playing hard-ball on this bill. Have given Osborne the minimum face-saving deal they could've
Last edited by pk1 on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
@Spectator_CH @jgforsyth No - bill remains £1.7bn, paid in two halves and UK rebate brought forward a year - hasn't been halved at all.
What's the betting David Cameron tries to blur the rebate issue next year ie - "Where's our 2105 rebate?" (I believe he really is that dishonestly awful.)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:
What's the betting David Cameron tries to blur the rebate issue next year ie - "Where's our 2105 rebate?" (I believe he really is that dishonestly awful.)
I think we can rely on UKIP to expose this for the sham that it is. Fabulous timing, opens popcorn.
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

So, is it still a disaster for Miliband?

Have any MPs actually come forward saying they want a change of leader (publicly, I mean)? Or is it all still Westminster tittle tattle that'll be forgotten by the weekend?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote: Think McNulty has spotted how the bill has been 'halved'
I think we can rely on UKIP to expose this for the sham that it is. Fabulous timing, opens popcorn.
Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 6m6 minutes ago
Osborne trying to spin his way out of disaster. UK still paying full £1.7bn, his credibility is about to nose dive.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PorFavor wrote: What's the betting David Cameron tries to blur the rebate issue next year ie - "Where's our 2105 rebate?" (I believe he really is that dishonestly awful.)
Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 6m6 minutes ago
Osborne trying to spin his way out of disaster. UK still paying full £1.7bn, his credibility is about to nose dive.
Yikes,I agree with Nigel!
Thanks for the recipe ideas,like them all.Sure the duck/peanut butter/coconut version is a slimmers delight...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/edi ... 45440.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fair edop from the Indy.

See also:

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2014/11/wh ... -anything/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

About to lose internet. Does anyone want to carry on this conversation on Twitter?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 15.04.00.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 15.04.00.png (100.01 KiB) Viewed 15985 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Statement on Ed Miliband's facebook page a few minutes ago:
There are exactly six months to go before a General Election which will decide the future direction of our country.

Labour will fight and win this election street by street, house by house, taking our case to the people on every issue.

That is how I am going to be spending the next six months. That is what my Shadow Cabinet and our MPs will be doing. That is what our councillors, party members and activists will be doing – because that is what they do week in and week out – and they know that is how we win.

We are in the fight for the future of our country and in the General Election Labour will show we are equal to the challenges of the time in which we live.

This is a deeply anxious country riven by profound inequality, where millions of people neither believe Britain works for them or that politics can provide solutions anymore.

The Conservatives cannot meet these challenges.

Week after week I listen to David Cameron trumpeting how well everything is going. And I know it rings hollow with so many people.

Indeed, the more he and George Osborne celebrate a belated economic upturn, the more people realise that this recovery is working only for a powerful few.

As we enter the last lap before the General Election, Labour will show in towns and cities across Britain that we have a plan to answer the deep problems faced by so many families.

Over the past four years we have built a radical alternative programme for government which is clear, costed, and concrete.

That plan is built on five big changes, each vital to creating the country we want to see.

It starts with addressing the central challenge driving all others: the disconnection between the wealth of our country and everyday family finances.

The Tories deny there even is a cost-of-living crisis. They are wrong. We will tackle it with a modern industrial policy, a reformed banking system and action to tackle low pay and insecurity, from an £8 minimum wage to ending the exploitation of zero hours contracts.

And crucially we will do this by governing in a different way. A real plan for taking economic and political power away from Whitehall and giving it to local people: from decisions on fares and routes for bus services to controlling betting shops and pay day lenders on our high streets.

Next, we need to secure decent prospects for our young people. The Promise of Britain -- that the next generation does better than the last -- has been broken. We will fulfil that promise and ensure our children have a real chance to succeed and prosper with decent jobs, a new generation of apprenticeships, and homes to rent and buy.

And making this country work for everyday people means creating the public services we can rely on. The only party in British politics that has shown how we can raise extra resources for the NHS is Labour.

A mansion tax on properties worth more than £2 million, tackling tax avoidance and raising revenue from the tobacco companies for our Time to Care Fund will begin paying for the transformation of the NHS so that it can meet the challenges of the 21st Century as well as it met those of the 20th.

Our offer of new guarantees for GP appointments in 48 hours and a one-week cancer test, together with 3,000 more midwives, 5,000 more care-workers, 8,000 more GPs and 20,000 more nurses will improve care and take pressure off the most expensive hospital services.

All of these changes will be built on stable foundations - and that means dealing with the deficit. We will balance the books and get the debt falling. But we will do it fairly - with measures like taxing millionaires by restoring the 50p tax rate - because those with the broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden.

We are also showing how we have learnt from our past. Over four years, I have changed our position on immigration which, although it has benefited our country overall, needs to be controlled and managed.

I know that when people are anxious about immigration, it is not because of prejudice but because they want fair rules.

That is why we will crack down on employers who undercut wages, reform the benefits system so entitlements are earned, and prioritise people learn English when they come here.

There is no doubt that UKIP are playing on the deep anxiety people feel about immigration and the fast changing world. But UKIP cannot represent working people when they want charges to see your GP and even bigger tax cuts for millionaires, or when they would destroy millions of jobs and businesses by getting out of the EU.

This is not a plan for working people, it is a plan to damage the lives of working people.

UKIP have a vision of the past, which didn’t really exist, but it has no vision for the future.

We do. Labour’s vision is built on the big changes I have set out: tackling the cost-of-living crisis, transforming the prospects for the next generation, rebuilding our NHS, with stable economic foundations and a fair approach to immigration.

I know we can beat all our opponents at the next election because of our Labour values, our passion and our plan for government.

Every country around the world is facing huge changes in their economies and the rise of new inequality which is churning our politics.

But I relish the fight for the future.

And the difference here in Britain is that the Labour Party is within months of an election we can win so that we can begin the business of changing our country for the better.

Four and a half years into this Parliament, I am proud to lead a party with this plan for Britain’s future.

We have six months to go out and show the difference Labour’s plan will make.

Together, that is what we will do. Join us in that fight: labour.tw/1vUinDg
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Statement on Ed Miliband's facebook page a few minutes ago:
There are exactly six months to go before a General Election which will decide the future direction of our country.

Labour will fight and win this election street by street, house by house, taking our case to the people on every issue.

That is how I am going to be spending the next six months. That is what my Shadow Cabinet and our MPs will be doing. That is what our councillors, party members and activists will be doing – because that is what they do week in and week out – and they know that is how we win.

We are in the fight for the future of our country and in the General Election Labour will show we are equal to the challenges of the time in which we live.

This is a deeply anxious country riven by profound inequality, where millions of people neither believe Britain works for them or that politics can provide solutions anymore.

The Conservatives cannot meet these challenges.

Week after week I listen to David Cameron trumpeting how well everything is going. And I know it rings hollow with so many people.

Indeed, the more he and George Osborne celebrate a belated economic upturn, the more people realise that this recovery is working only for a powerful few.

As we enter the last lap before the General Election, Labour will show in towns and cities across Britain that we have a plan to answer the deep problems faced by so many families.

Over the past four years we have built a radical alternative programme for government which is clear, costed, and concrete.

That plan is built on five big changes, each vital to creating the country we want to see.

It starts with addressing the central challenge driving all others: the disconnection between the wealth of our country and everyday family finances.

The Tories deny there even is a cost-of-living crisis. They are wrong. We will tackle it with a modern industrial policy, a reformed banking system and action to tackle low pay and insecurity, from an £8 minimum wage to ending the exploitation of zero hours contracts.

And crucially we will do this by governing in a different way. A real plan for taking economic and political power away from Whitehall and giving it to local people: from decisions on fares and routes for bus services to controlling betting shops and pay day lenders on our high streets.

Next, we need to secure decent prospects for our young people. The Promise of Britain -- that the next generation does better than the last -- has been broken. We will fulfil that promise and ensure our children have a real chance to succeed and prosper with decent jobs, a new generation of apprenticeships, and homes to rent and buy.

And making this country work for everyday people means creating the public services we can rely on. The only party in British politics that has shown how we can raise extra resources for the NHS is Labour.

A mansion tax on properties worth more than £2 million, tackling tax avoidance and raising revenue from the tobacco companies for our Time to Care Fund will begin paying for the transformation of the NHS so that it can meet the challenges of the 21st Century as well as it met those of the 20th.

Our offer of new guarantees for GP appointments in 48 hours and a one-week cancer test, together with 3,000 more midwives, 5,000 more care-workers, 8,000 more GPs and 20,000 more nurses will improve care and take pressure off the most expensive hospital services.

All of these changes will be built on stable foundations - and that means dealing with the deficit. We will balance the books and get the debt falling. But we will do it fairly - with measures like taxing millionaires by restoring the 50p tax rate - because those with the broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden.

We are also showing how we have learnt from our past. Over four years, I have changed our position on immigration which, although it has benefited our country overall, needs to be controlled and managed.

I know that when people are anxious about immigration, it is not because of prejudice but because they want fair rules.

That is why we will crack down on employers who undercut wages, reform the benefits system so entitlements are earned, and prioritise people learn English when they come here.

There is no doubt that UKIP are playing on the deep anxiety people feel about immigration and the fast changing world. But UKIP cannot represent working people when they want charges to see your GP and even bigger tax cuts for millionaires, or when they would destroy millions of jobs and businesses by getting out of the EU.

This is not a plan for working people, it is a plan to damage the lives of working people.

UKIP have a vision of the past, which didn’t really exist, but it has no vision for the future.

We do. Labour’s vision is built on the big changes I have set out: tackling the cost-of-living crisis, transforming the prospects for the next generation, rebuilding our NHS, with stable economic foundations and a fair approach to immigration.

I know we can beat all our opponents at the next election because of our Labour values, our passion and our plan for government.

Every country around the world is facing huge changes in their economies and the rise of new inequality which is churning our politics.

But I relish the fight for the future.

And the difference here in Britain is that the Labour Party is within months of an election we can win so that we can begin the business of changing our country for the better.

Four and a half years into this Parliament, I am proud to lead a party with this plan for Britain’s future.

We have six months to go out and show the difference Labour’s plan will make.

Together, that is what we will do. Join us in that fight: labour.tw/1vUinDg

@pk1

Thanks for that.

Bravo Ed Miliband!
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:About to lose internet. Does anyone want to carry on this conversation on Twitter?
Two or three weeks ago, Nev off of The Call Centre soundalike Carwyn Jones gave a perfect dissection of the Mail's assault (which seems have to have died won thankfully).

It amounted to a few things; if I can recall correctly.

1. The clock in Wales for waiting times starts earlier than in England, so waiting times will always appear longer.
2. Because of the Geography and population distribution of Wales, the hospitals in North Wales tend to be smaller less specialist establishments, and if you live in Rhyl and have a specialist need and have a choice of going to Liverpool or Cardiff, you'll pick the one which is quicker for you and yours to get to, as you're using faster roads. The Welsh NHS actually pays the English NHS to take people in those instances.
3. The Daily Mail is a bumrag.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Reincarnated? Has Rusty finally been sent to the naughty step or even *gasp* been deaded?
No. You can still see his profile but he hasn't posted since 22nd October.

Useful I guess to keep a few identities open....

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/rustinpeace/public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since nesting came in the profile stays even if the account is deleted, so it is not always easy to tell now when somebody has been offed; it would be very clumsy of him to have lost that account after keeping it running for so many years, and "delicious" for the rest of us. :D Mind you, so many of us complained that the Mods may have been more assiduous in dealing with blatant trolling and multiple accounts; has the Chickie creature also vanished, as that would be good supporting evidence for that supposition?

The Chickie thing last posted on 27th October - which, considering how quick she is to dive into the benefit articles as a rule is a bit odd, as there have been quite a few in the past week.

Both of them have been conspicuous by their absence on the NHS threads too. If they are not the same person, maybe they are a very happy couple who wear His'n'Hers tragic jumpers.

Their love-child is the deeply ghastly, patronising, and deluded Ayn Rand acolyte Libertarian Emily with whom I refuse to engage ever again. Now she really is vile - and had reported me so often on one thread that I'm now on the naughty step. Whoops!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Hey, internet, remember this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... on-EU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What ever happened to that staunch Conservative Mark Reckless, anyway?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not *just* because of the recent excitement tbh, but my regular review is going to have to wait until Monday ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
pk1 wrote: No. You can still see his profile but he hasn't posted since 22nd October.

Useful I guess to keep a few identities open....

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/rustinpeace/public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since nesting came in the profile stays even if the account is deleted, so it is not always easy to tell now when somebody has been offed; it would be very clumsy of him to have lost that account after keeping it running for so many years, and "delicious" for the rest of us. :D Mind you, so many of us complained that the Mods may have been more assiduous in dealing with blatant trolling and multiple accounts; has the Chickie creature also vanished, as that would be good supporting evidence for that supposition?

The Chickie thing last posted on 27th October - which, considering how quick she is to dive into the benefit articles as a rule is a bit odd, as there have been quite a few in the past week.

Both of them have been conspicuous by their absence on the NHS threads too. If they are not the same person, maybe they are a very happy couple who wear His'n'Hers tragic jumpers.

Their love-child is the deeply ghastly, patronising, and deluded Ayn Rand acolyte Libertarian Emily with whom I refuse to engage ever again. Now she really is vile - and had reported me so often on one thread that I'm now on the naughty step. Whoops!
On the naughty step eh? Bad Ephe. :D Look upon it as the Fates way of telling you to give the place the big E.

So he's lost two hats in quick succession, very clumsy, that isn't what they pay him for. Sounds like the Mods may be a bit more on the ball at the moment; bit more time on their hands I guess, what with so many posters staying away because of Beta. :rofl:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:About to lose internet. Does anyone want to carry on this conversation on Twitter?
Two or three weeks ago, Nev off of The Call Centre soundalike Carwyn Jones gave a perfect dissection of the Mail's assault (which seems have to have died won thankfully).

It amounted to a few things; if I can recall correctly.

1. The clock in Wales for waiting times starts earlier than in England, so waiting times will always appear longer.
2. Because of the Geography and population distribution of Wales, the hospitals in North Wales tend to be smaller less specialist establishments, and if you live in Rhyl and have a specialist need and have a choice of going to Liverpool or Cardiff, you'll pick the one which is quicker for you and yours to get to, as you're using faster roads. The Welsh NHS actually pays the English NHS to take people in those instances.
3. The Daily Mail is a bumrag.

"Nev off The Call Centre soundalike"????????

I'm not sure that's how to describe the most senior Labour politician in the UK, after all, unlike Ed (so far) he runs a country.......

Had you seen BBC Wales not so long ago, Derek the Weatherman was replaced one evening by Carwyn. He did such a good job that I can feel another employment opportunity beckoning should he lose his current job - which I sincerely hope he doesn't.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Don't think todays Populus has been mentioned yet - Lab 35 Con 33 UKIP 14 LibDem 9. Could be worse.....
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Don't think todays Populus has been mentioned yet - Lab 35 Con 33 UKIP 14 LibDem 9. Could be worse.....
It could indeed. Thank you for that - I've been wondering what the second poll with Labour in the lead that people were referring to was.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

By the by ... we had flash floods here this morning and last night. Torrential rain combined with high tides.

I drove down our river / track onto the lane into town and it was like going back to the monsoon period last year and early this year ... water pouring off the fields - several impromptu fords to cross that weren't there before.

When I reached Cardigan - the saddest sight - people coming away from their houses down by the Teifi carrying suitcases, pets in carriers and children - looking pale and bedraggled. The firemen still pumping out the little dockside streets ... as they had been all night.

This is the fourth year running for these folks ... that's hard. Nothing much can be done about it for these particular streets - and flood prevention and protection is a devolved matter.

But it reminded me that the coalition / Tories have cut flood defence / protection spending by 10% ... and if we already have problems here - there will be other places in England that are going to suffer again. And probably before the election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott retweeted
Tony Connelly @tconnellyRTE · 3h 3 hours ago
BREAKING: Irish Finance Minister Michael Noonan says the UK "will pay the full" surcharge of £1.7bn, flatly contradicting @George_Osborne

John Prescott retweeted
Bruno Waterfield @BrunoBrussels · 2h 2 hours ago
UK will settle full £1.7bn with EU. £850m will be paid from Treasury. £850m in UK rebate (that would normally be paid in 2016) used for rest

John Prescott @johnprescott · 2h 2 hours ago
So @George_Osborne HASN'T cut £1.7 Billion Euro Bill. £850m to be paid in 6 months time & £850m from our rebate! #LongTermEconomicScam

John Prescott retweeted
Daniel Hannan @DanHannanMEP · 3h 3 hours ago
The EU sticks us with a bill. Ministers double it, apply the rebate, return to the original figure and claim victory. We're meant to cheer?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re:Happy Chickie ,yes I noticed she(?)hadn't posted for a while.

;)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman @IsabelHardman · 13m 13 minutes ago
Key Tory eurosceptics this week plotted how to use loss in Rochester to pressure Cameron. Details here: http://specc.ie/1xpruOx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't see this becoming headline news though - can you?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

RobertSnozers wrote:Osborne may regret trying to spin this as a victory. No-one's buying it.

The Spectator

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... t-mention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Osborne may regret trying to spin this as a victory. No-one's buying it.
You are so right about that (other than the pathetically docile BBC of course). The comments BTL on this are priceless.
UK to pay £1.7bn EU bill in full despite Osborne’s claim to have halved it
Chancellor says bill was cut to £850m but Treasury aides admit Britain is also returning its automatic rebate, making up the rest

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -halved-it
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight PF
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 26m26 minutes ago
Under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, it is illegal for a US registered company to bribe foreign officials. News Corp registered in Delaware

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 27m27 minutes ago
As others have pointed out, NOTW now has two criminal convictions for conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office. US problems loom
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

As a follow up to my earlier post.
UK weather: Get ready for ten days of heavy rain and 50mph gales
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 45868.html
Hey letsskip - not sure Derek the weatherman told us about this lot, did he? I reckon we should bring Carwyn in as a regular fixture.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:As a follow up to my earlier post.
UK weather: Get ready for ten days of heavy rain and 50mph gales
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 45868.html
Hey letsskip - not sure Derek the weatherman told us about this lot, did he? I reckon we should bring Carwyn in as a regular fixture.
Might be an opportune moment to recommend that people download Flood Alert, a free app by CH2M HILL, which is available for iPhone, iPodTouch, and iPad from the App Store and for Android devices from Google Play.

Desktop/laptop users can bookmark the Environment Agency Live Flood Warning Map: http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood/142151.aspx

Hope everyone stays safe and dry!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 26m26 minutes ago
Under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, it is illegal for a US registered company to bribe foreign officials. News Corp registered in Delaware

As others have pointed out, NOTW now has two criminal convictions for conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office. US problems loom
Evenin' all (tips metaphorical tin-foil hat :) )

Did you see these as well? Dots being joined....

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... d-the-nca/

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... stand.html

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... ia-newton/
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Lonewolfie wrote:
yahyah wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 26m26 minutes ago

Evenin' all (tips metaphorical tin-foil hat :) )

Did you see these as well? Dots being joined....

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... d-the-nca/

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... stand.html

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and- ... ia-newton/

What was all that about the other year, breaking up/changing the name of New International to News Corp, News UK etc....a way of trying to legally worm their way out of trouble in the US ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer retweeted
smtmLFC @smtmLFC · 3h 3 hours ago
@Bonn1eGreer I work for Citi & can tell you @George_Osborne is viewed as an absolute incompetent. That'll never change. The mans a buffoon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh blimey - this is an absolute heart breaker.
Woman dies after farewell to horse at Wigan hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-29951094
But what fantastic NHS nurses and people who cared about this lady who made this possible.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

A shit hot (and leftwing) corporate lawyer on another board tells me the US corrupt practices thing is almost certainly not a problem for News Corp.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh blimey - this is an absolute heart breaker.
Woman dies after farewell to horse at Wigan hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-29951094
But what fantastic NHS nurses and people who cared about this lady who made this possible.
Well that's got me blubbering here, lovely effort from all concerned though..