Monday 10th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Monday 10th November 2014

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:
Dan Hodges ✔ @DPJHodges

So there wasn't a major revolt against the EAW. Which shows Tories were on top of the rebellion. Which proves it was all a cock-up.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's about keeping one's word, telling the truth & following through like a grown-up. That's what this is about, Dan.
tweet.jpg
tweet.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 12892 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ard-benyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is it in peoples psyche that allows them to vote for people like this, we all know Richard Beynon is a prize candidate for **** of the year, in a crowded field he'd be in the top 10, but Christ how can he sleep at night?

Probably cos he's a Tory.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

WelshIan wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
WelshIan wrote:Thanks for the words of welcome, everyone. I used to lurk on Andrew Sparrow's blog but find that Beta has driven me away as well as most of my favourite posters and so I will generally lurk here instead! I have added a bit about me in the Greetings section.

I will try to add to the debate but I usually find that others say what I think rather more eloquently than I do.
Lack of eloquence never stopped me! :D And I suspect you do yourself a disservice anyway.

Welcome to the asylum; were you told that newbies were supposed to bring cake?
Numbers are more my thing than words...

I think I may have some mince pies, if that's ok? People complain about Christmas coming earlier and earlier but it's never too early for mince pies! :)
I like mine home made with the candied peel laboriously picked out of the mince meat and replaced with cherry's :) thanks....
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PLP this evening, according to Ferguson, 23 speeches in Miliband's favour, no dissenters willing to show their face.

And there was me thinking it would only take one for others to follow..

Talk the talk, and nothing else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Flash Player stopped promptly at 9.04 PM on my computer & the BBC Parliament website wants me to purchase a license to watch what I thought would be "non-live" at this juncture so plugged the following into a search engine to freely, legally watch our representatives in government:

HOUSE OF COMMONS Monday 10 November 2014

New report from the Public Administration Select Committee out today.
10 November 2014
Uncoordinated reforms and lack of any clear "map of state" hampering accountability, says the Public Administration Select Committee.

Report: Who's accountable? Relationships between Government and arm's-length bodies
Report: Who's accountable? Relationships between Government and arm's-length bodies (PDF)
Inquiry: Accountability of quangos and public bodies

In a report released Monday 10 November 2014, PASC says the system of arms-length government – quangos and agencies – is still "confused and opaque" and lacks accountability, despite the government’s reforms.

Who's accountable?

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... f-quangos/
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wintour reckons this is slamming the door shut, I reckon he never opened it in the first place.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He told me off on Twitter.
What did he say? (more important what did you say to warrant telling off??)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ard-benyon

What is it in peoples psyche that allows them to vote for people like this, we all know Richard Beynon is a prize candidate for **** of the year, in a crowded field he'd be in the top 10, but Christ how can he sleep at night?

Probably cos he's a Tory.
I've never been the same after looking at that bastard's voting record supporting Bedroom Tax, his property portfolio - taking housing benefit from people paid too little thus qualifying for it - he denigrates the social security provision he makes money from! Pardon my French.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Aha, I wondered why this bloke closed down his blog all of a sudden, he's good.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ian-warren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Aha, I wondered why this bloke closed down his blog all of a sudden, he's good.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ian-warren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love this story.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wintour reckons this is slamming the door shut, I reckon he never opened it in the first place.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He told me off on Twitter.
What did he say? (more important what did you say to warrant telling off??)
Said that he and Watt couldn't change a party's leader.

He said "Stay classy".

I replied with something about the "new politics" we'd seen in the Commons tonight. He sent nice reply.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It must have broke the G's heart to admit the man went with Labour. Wait. What heart.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs

The hell you can't though - you're a newspaperman, Watt, your influence is power.

He said "Stay classy".
She said "go ffuuk yourself".

I replied with something about the "new politics" we'd seen in the Commons tonight. He sent nice reply.
I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

I apologise, sincerely. My remarks aren't contributing to cooperative effort at this point. I'll pause & reflect. I'll write more later.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Aha, I wondered why this bloke closed down his blog all of a sudden, he's good.

Did you like one of the comments?
Good luck to him - though I expect Labour won't like what he tells them.

The latest poll (Ashcroft) has a 1% C Lead and the underlying position remains a Labour Lead of about 1½ but with a convincing short-term downtrend (R^2=0.82). We typically have mini-rallies in the downtrend and this looks like the end of another one (which was caused by a rogue from Survation giving a 5% Labour Lead). IF so we'll see the underlying Labour Lead down to zero by the end of Nov.

The Long Term dDowntrend is also convincing (R^2=0.87) and that show the Labour Lead down to zero in mid-March. So probably the outcome will be somewhere between the two. We shall see...
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Tubby Isaacs

The hell you can't though - you're a newspaperman, Watt, your influence is power.

He said "Stay classy".
She said "go ffuuk yourself".

I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

I apologise, sincerely. My remarks aren't contributing to cooperative effort at this point. I'll pause & reflect. I'll write more later.
I enjoyed them.

Was me who said he and Watt couldnt change a party leader, prompting "stay classy".
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RogerOThornhill wrote:

The latest poll (Ashcroft) has a 1% C Lead and the underlying position remains a Labour Lead of about 1½ but with a convincing short-term downtrend (R^2=0.82). We typically have mini-rallies in the downtrend and this looks like the end of another one (which was caused by a rogue from Survation giving a 5% Labour Lead). IF so we'll see the underlying Labour Lead down to zero by the end of Nov.

The Long Term dDowntrend is also convincing (R^2=0.87) and that show the Labour Lead down to zero in mid-March. So probably the outcome will be somewhere between the two. We shall see...
Erm, now who could have wrote that?

;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The DT are reporting that the number of adoptions has plunged to crisis levels.

I thought that Gove and his team had fixed that to make it far easier and the process far quicker?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Labour will force vote on European Arrest Warrant on day before crucial by-election

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-wi ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

DT leading on adoptions plunging to crisis level.

Funny, don't I recall Gove speeding them all up by taking silly racial sensitivity out of the system?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Erm, now who could have wrote that?

;)
Don't miss him at all. Boring and charmless, an utterly winning combination.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Kent ‏@DavidfKent · 1 min1 minute ago
Scientists and Vets Urge PM to Change Course on Badger Culls http://fb.me/6RPOugWsw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

At the bottom of this there's a poll asking will Ed win in 2015 so far the no's are winning.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/the ... ed-4602988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Government has behaved like a sack of greased weasels

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... asels.html
MPs have voted for something. Quite what depends on who’s talking about the vote. Theresa May says the Commons has given its view on British participation in the European Arrest Warrant. John Bercow says that’s not technically accurate: the vote was on a statutory instrument that would incorporate into British law a range of European justice powers that does not include the EAW, which is already in our law. Mrs May concedes the point but insists that the vote is “indicative” on the EAW because ... well, because she says it is. Conservative MPs, who has been promised a vote on the EAW directly, beg to differ.

This may well be the first postmodern vote in Commons history, where the decision of the House is entirely subjective, its meaning and impact varying according to who is speaking. Erskine May meets Jacques Derrida, if you will.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:PLP this evening, according to Ferguson, 23 speeches in Miliband's favour, no dissenters willing to show their face.

Just seen the ITV News segment on this (you know the leadership 'crisis'). If you can believe it ... and you can, I'm sure ... it warranted more time than the fiasco in the Commons over the EAW. Chris Ship reporting of course - it was his questioning of Miliband at the CBI that irked people - so he would need to make a lot of it.

Started with a whole of spiel about how terrible it was for Ed and Labour - terrible poll ratings (their own) as to whether people wanted him as Prime Minister or not. And then - hey presto - he had to tell us that the MPs and Peers in their meeting were furious with the snipers - one MP shouted so loudly the press could hear him outside the room - and there wasn't a single dissenting voice about backing Ed. Chris Ship looked like he'd swallowed a shit covered sour plum as he told us it therefore looked as though Miliband will be leading Labour into the general election.

:toss:
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 10 Nov, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Interesting.....
Nicholas Watt ‏@nicholaswatt · 23 secs24 seconds ago
One clear conclusion after attending @MedwayMessenger #RSbyelection hustings @PaulOnPolitics. @naushabahkhan = the star of the campaign
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AngryAsWell wrote:At the bottom of this there's a poll asking will Ed win in 2015 so far the no's are winning.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/the ... ed-4602988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meh. Internet polls are so easy to rig that the result, regardless of what it is, is meaningless.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Interesting.....
One clear conclusion after attending @MedwayMessenger #RSbyelection hustings @PaulOnPolitics. @naushabahkhan = the star of the campaign
Excellent news. And he doesn't sound at all mealy mouthed about it either.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Interesting.....

Well presumably she will have a real crack at it in 2015.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Spacedone wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:At the bottom of this there's a poll asking will Ed win in 2015 so far the no's are winning.....

Meh. Internet polls are so easy to rig that the result, regardless of what it is, is meaningless.
I know, :mrgreen: but it's nice to wind them up .....runs off laughing
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:PLP this evening, according to Ferguson, 23 speeches in Miliband's favour, no dissenters willing to show their face.

Just seen the ITV News segment on this (you know the leadership 'crisis'). If you can believe it ... and you can, I'm sure ... it warranted more time than the fiasco in the Commons over the EAW. Chris Ship reporting of course - it was his questioning of Miliband at the CBI that irked people - so he would need to make a lot of it.
That'd be the same Chris Ship who posted this on Twitter earlier (and was retweeted by Crick)
Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1 hr1 hour ago

If there was no story in EdMiliband leadership(as some on this media have told me)why has AlanJohnson felt it necessary to rule himself out?
What an utterly vacuous argument. Can anyone think why Alan Johnson might feel the need to speak up after days of increasingly outrageous media shit-stirring based solely on the whining of a couple of backbench nobodies?

I thought about writing back "If Christopher Jeffries didn't commit murder then why did he feel the need to go into hiding from the horde of media saying he was a murderer?"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What a headline.
The Government has behaved like a sack of greased weasels
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... asels.html
Editing to add: And it's a very well written piece to boot. Don't agree with him very often - but his description of this is pretty darn good.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Evening all and welcome to WelshIan,

Thanks to those of you that felt able to vote for SJ. As far as I know, we'll find out the result on Wednesday which is good timing because we're having our 'celebration' of the JR Wednesday evening. I'll update with the results asap.

Checked out the list of prospective candidates that signed the letter supporting Ed. Pleased to say that Matt Turmaine had signed. I still don't rate him but I might have to 'hold my nose' as it were. If I do though, it will be because a] I actually think there is more to Ed M than meets the eye [so I'll be voting for him - not Matt], b] I will not be dictated to or driven by a right wing media, and c] we aren't standing a candidate here. I'm totally sick of voting tactically though so if I do so next May, it will be the very last time.

Watch out in 2020 because by then we'll have rebuilt the Green party here and will stand a candidate. And if Matt is as useless as I fear, he'll have a real challenge.

On the other hand, if we land up with a Tory gov next May, I am seriously considering moving to Wales. I can't emigrate because of my mother, but I can move as my youngest will have finished his A levels by then.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 1h 1 hour ago
Potential mayhem >> Labour to force vote on European Arrest Warrant on day before the Rochester & Strood by-election http://labli.st/1xdQsDW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

mbc1955 wrote:I'm going to be 59 tomorrow and I'm reading FTN and wondering if there will ever be a word of truth written in a newspaper again, other than by accident or a sackable offence?
Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

It's my birthday today - 67!

I've been wondering the same thing but have reached a conclusion. I'm not reading any more newspapers. I've also stopped watching "news" programmes because they invariably start with a video of Cameron and a really crappy person saying "Mr Cameron ........... ".
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Happy Birthday Giselle - you wonderful woman. You should have told us earlier - someone would have done cake and I and the others around would have loudly toasted your health and happiness.

Anyway - hope you had a lovely day doing whatever you wanted to do - even if it was shouting at news programmes and papers.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

giselle97 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:I'm going to be 59 tomorrow and I'm reading FTN and wondering if there will ever be a word of truth written in a newspaper again, other than by accident or a sackable offence?

I've been wondering the same thing but have reached a conclusion. I'm not reading any more newspapers. I've also stopped watching "news" programmes because they invariably start with a video of Cameron and a really crappy person saying "Mr Cameron ........... ".
You're a very norty lady Giselle - if we'd known it was your birthday, we could have had a party !!

Hope you had a lovely day xx
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1 hr1 hour ago

If there was no story in EdMiliband leadership(as some on this media have told me)why has AlanJohnson felt it necessary to rule himself out?
"When did you stop beating your wife?"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
And guess what? The Progress supporting PPC of Bury North is not a signatory...
Interesting - quite a few Progressites *have* signed it, however. It is a very impressive display at short notice, both in numbers and across the party spectrum.
Yeah, but our boy is so Blairite that it's painful to watch. At teh PPC selection, I deliberately asked him what his attitude to academies was. He replied that he was against forced academisation; when I asked about academies in general, he became rather more evasive and equivocal, bullshitter that he is. If he gets elected next year, he's going to have to do a fuck of a sight better than that and I shudder what the PLP will make of him. Well, the Blairites will love him, obvs, but I can see Skinner looking down his nose and thinking "where did this wanker come from?"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Happy B'day, Giselle!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Well, we learned today that Chief Whip isn't an easy job that Gove can do while also ranging across the issues attacking Labour.

Amazed that Toby got that wrong, isn't it?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:The DT are reporting that the number of adoptions has plunged to crisis levels.

I thought that Gove and his team had fixed that to make it far easier and the process far quicker?
I thought that too.
Wasn't it just a matter of dispatching black kids to white families?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

giselle97 wrote:

Happy birthday Giselle.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

I know, :mrgreen: but it's nice to wind them up .....runs off laughing
Phone polls can be fun too.

One of them decided the Man of the Century was Jamie Pollock.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Well, we learned today that Chief Whip isn't an easy job that Gove can do while also ranging across the issues attacking Labour.

I can't wait for Gove to really get his teeth into some serious TV work for the Tories / Coalition. He should really perk up the ratings for them on this form. He's truly unique ... and his teachers must all be so proud of him.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UKIP defends 'misleading' NHS photo election leaflet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29994011
UKIP has defended a campaign leaflet for the Rochester and Strood by-election after claims a photo used implied NHS support for the party.

The chairwoman of Medway Hospitals NHS Trust wrote to candidate Mark Reckless to complain about "misleading" information in his campaign leaflets.

Shena Winning said a picture of the trust's acting chief executive with Mr Reckless suggested the NHS backed UKIP.

Mr Reckless said the photo showed his support for the hospital....

Ms Winning's letter to former Conservative MP Mr Reckless said board directors were "extremely concerned and surprised" to see the picture of him with Dr Phillip Barnes.
Ms Winning said the photograph had been taken in September when Mr Reckless was the sitting MP for Rochester...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

giselle97 wrote:

Happy Birthday, Giselle! Hope it has been a lovely day for you :insert cake smiley here: ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Well, we learned today that Chief Whip isn't an easy job that Gove can do while also ranging across the issues attacking Labour.

I can't wait for Gove to really get his teeth into some serious TV work for the Tories / Coalition. He should really perk up the ratings for them on this form. He's truly unique ... and his teachers must all be so proud of him.
"I've got a question for Michael. Why do you think you were sacked?"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

giselle97 wrote:

Many happy returns - you have the mind and mannerisms of someone much younger and active. Keep it up!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Very much enjoyed watching The Battle for Rochester and Strood on BBC News – shown earlier on and made by BBC South East. Naushabah Khan (Labour PPC) came across very well indeed, as did Clive Gregory (Green PPC). Geoff Juby (LibDem PPC) seemed a bit lost and very nervous. As for both Kelly Tolhurst (Conservative PPC) and Mark Reckless (UKIP PPC) well... Dire. That's the word I was looking for ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Belated happy birthday to Giselle and happy birthday to mbc1955

're adoption. Cameron in 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012 ... er-cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cheers.

Nice bit in there.
But although the government said it would introduce the changes "as soon as possible", officials would give no commitment to the changes being made before 2015.
Roughly translated- they've got no idea what they're talking about.