Tuesday 11th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 11th November 2014

Post by ephemerid »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Good Morning from a rather wet and wild Wales!

And to make my morning better here comes Nick Robinson.

Aha, Downing Street calls Labour's debate the day before the R&S by-election a "stunt" coming from a party of stunts I will treat that with the derision it deserves.

That is just fabulous........so, it's a "stunt" to have the vote they should have had yesterday or possibly today at a time it can be fitted in before Parlaiment goes into recess (again)?

No mention of the fact that Miliband offered an Opposition Day for a debate on this issue, which Cameron chose to use as yet another excuse to belittle Ed's "sacrifice" (chortle chortle) claiming that the debate was happening anyway when he probably knew it wasn't?

When I find myself cheering on the likes of Shepherd and Rees-Mogg there is something very wrong in the Mother of Parliaments.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Having watched the Rochester and Strood debate, I can't understand how the Conservatives, if the seat is so important to them, came to select their appalling candidate. She was distinctly unimpressive. You know . . . .
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Having watched the Rochester and Strood debate, I can't understand how the Conservatives, if the seat is so important to them, came to select their appalling candidate. She was distinctly unimpressive. You know . . . .
I agree. If she was the best on offer, I dread to think how the other one was.

Khan came out of it really well & assuming she doesn't win, I hope she has a good shot at it in 2015.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

A pioneering plan to save the health service £1 billion a year by keeping patients out of hospital has been branded a “shambles” after the Government’s spending watchdog found at best it would save less than a third of the amount projected at best.

In a highly critical report, the National Audit Office said proposals to transfer nearly £2 billion of NHS funding to social care in a bid to reduce hospital admissions had been inadequately thought through and could have left the health service with a massive budget black hole. It added the plans had been based on “optimism rather than evidence”
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 52400.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The 'Party of In' not very impressed with themselves.
Opinion: Let’s tell the truth about EU budget surcharge
http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-lets ... 43269.html
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:
A pioneering plan to save the health service £1 billion a year by keeping patients out of hospital has been branded a “shambles” after the Government’s spending watchdog found at best it would save less than a third of the amount projected at best.

In a highly critical report, the National Audit Office said proposals to transfer nearly £2 billion of NHS funding to social care in a bid to reduce hospital admissions had been inadequately thought through and could have left the health service with a massive budget black hole. It added the plans had been based on “optimism rather than evidence”
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 52400.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
had been inadequately thought through
based on “optimism rather than evidence”

Surely not - I can't believe it of this government!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:Khan came out of it really well & assuming she doesn't win, I hope she has a good shot at it in 2015.
I'll be honest, I suspect that may be the strategy. Reckless is going to win next week (better AK? ;) ) barring divine intervention (friends who have doorstepped since my own stint say that more than a few Labour voters are going to vote for him, to try and give Cameron a bloody nose); but they've also said that people on the doorstep are increasingly impressed with Naushabah, even non-core voters, so it is all to play for next May.

Personally I'm hoping for a decent third place, although wouldn't second place be nice? There is an Ashcroft poll out for R & S this afternoon which should make for interesting reading.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ephemerid wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Good Morning from a rather wet and wild Wales!

And to make my morning better here comes Nick Robinson.

Aha, Downing Street calls Labour's debate the day before the R&S by-election a "stunt" coming from a party of stunts I will treat that with the derision it deserves.

That is just fabulous........so, it's a "stunt" to have the vote they should have had yesterday or possibly today at a time it can be fitted in before Parlaiment goes into recess (again)?

No mention of the fact that Miliband offered an Opposition Day for a debate on this issue, which Cameron chose to use as yet another excuse to belittle Ed's "sacrifice" (chortle chortle) claiming that the debate was happening anyway when he probably knew it wasn't?

When I find myself cheering on the likes of Shepherd and Rees-Mogg there is something very wrong in the Mother of Parliaments.
I have the 'pleasure' of having Rees-Mogg for my MP. I have to say, although I don't agree with any of his principles, at least he has some. Can't say the same for Liam Fox whose constituency my village used to be in. Mogg's still a right toff, though, whose mother has upset lots of people locally over some development plans for her land here, so don't go liking him too much!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... homes.html
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

From the BBC

'The report's authors, Mr Wanless and Richard Whittam QC, concluded that they had "found nothing to support a concern that files had been deliberately or systematically removed or destroyed to cover up organised child abuse".

The report also found no evidence that the Home Office ever funded the Paedophile Information Exchange.

'Significant limitations'

But it makes clear that the "records management convention" across police forces was that records relating to allegations that didn't lead to a charge were destroyed after two years.

And it states that Home Office procedures placed "significant limitations" on the ability to establish a perfect record of what was known at the time.'

Hmm.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Germany can deny benefits to jobless EU migrants, court rules
Britain’s Liberal Democrats and Labour welcome landmark ruling by European court of justice

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/n ... u-migrants
... The eagerly anticipated ruling could be interpreted as a victory, or a blow, for David Cameron. It is a victory in the sense that it supports the British government’s drive to curb benefit abuse by EU migrants. The British, Danish and Irish had voiced strong support for the German position in the dispute.

But it is also a defeat in the sense that the ruling means that these curbs can be achieved within the existing rules. Had the ruling gone the other way, it would have probably triggered a debate about reforming freedom of movement in Germany. Now, British calls for an overhaul of the existing systems are less likely to be heard.
It just got even more difficult for Cameron to bluster his way out of the problem he has created for himself ...
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Willow904 wrote: I have the 'pleasure' of having Rees-Mogg for my MP. I have to say, although I don't agree with any of his principles, at least he has some. Can't say the same for Liam Fox whose constituency my village used to be in. Mogg's still a right toff, though, whose mother has upset lots of people locally over some development plans for her land here, so don't go liking him too much!
Hello, neighbour! North Somerset resident here, and Mr Fox is sadly still quite popular amongst the rural and elderly community - since they split from including Bristol in Avon, that's pretty much all that remains around here; and any attempts to build new houses which aren't retirement homes are rebuffed at every turn, which means that it's in an ever decreasing circle.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So...today's wonderful example of the converter academy policy.

The Baverstock Academy in Birmingham.

Inspected June 2009...grade 3
Inspected Feb 2012....grade 3

Let convert in June 2013 because as any fule nose, academy conversion is clearly the answer to all known problems.

And now?

Inspected Sept 2014...grade 4 and placed in special measures.

And because they're a converter they're out on a limb without any organisation which is overseeing them apart from Ofsted.

Why on earth didn't the DfE tell them to find a sponsor if they were so keen to become an academy?

:wall:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Councils are in crisis – and it happened on Nick Clegg’s watch
English councils will soon have lost almost a quarter of their funding in five years thanks to coalition policies

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... ent-crisis
A catchy, engaging yet shocking cartoon outlining the crisis facing Sheffield is doing the rounds in the constituency city of Nick Clegg. In what should prove the ultimate local embarrassment for the deputy prime minister, the short city council film graphically illustrates the unprecedented onslaught against local government.

English councils will soon have lost almost a quarter of their funding in five years. Those most in need, such as Sheffield, are being hit hardest. It has happened on the watch of the MP for Sheffield Hallam.

Since 2010, £238m has been removed from Sheffield city council’s budget, with a further £60m likely to be slashed next year. “We are facing the worst financial crisis in our history,” says the cartoon commentator, deceptively calmly. She politely reminds viewers, in friendly South Yorkshire tones – delivering hard evidence rather than raw emotion – that authorities in the leafy south are faring far better than big cities such as Sheffield...
Well worth a watch.

I do wonder what Clegg thinks of it ...?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Warning. Cuteness overload.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... py-8084148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I have the 'pleasure' of having Rees-Mogg for my MP. I have to say, although I don't agree with any of his principles, at least he has some. Can't say the same for Liam Fox whose constituency my village used to be in. Mogg's still a right toff, though, whose mother has upset lots of people locally over some development plans for her land here, so don't go liking him too much!
Hello, neighbour! North Somerset resident here, and Mr Fox is sadly still quite popular amongst the rural and elderly community - since they split from including Bristol in Avon, that's pretty much all that remains around here; and any attempts to build new houses which aren't retirement homes are rebuffed at every turn, which means that it's in an ever decreasing circle.
Hello back! You have my sympathies. There really is very little prospect of your getting rid of Fox unless he steps down, is there? And your roads are shit - Tory councils, eh, don't you just love 'em! :(
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

New troll alert over at Groaniad Towers.....

I've been posting on Aditya's article on Benyon and the New Era housing estate - a deeply unpleasant thing called TwiggyWiggy who has been so rude to me today that I can only assume it is HappyChickie under a new name.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The primary headteacher attacked for trying to tackle homophobia
‘A dark and horrible episode’ at a Birmingham school involving a group of parents has led to calls for ministers to openly back schools teaching diversity programmes

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... homophobia
Have to admit I found this report quite shocking and upsetting. How little we have moved on in some respects.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Afternoon, everyone. Back from the dentist; my head aches & I'm tired.

I came upon the Remembrance day prayer/flag observance in our village. I forgot. I had to ask someone aside who was gone, who died & they set me straight. The children in groups beautiful, cared for.

I can't remember a time I didn't know the prayer but I didn't stay to sing.

Law enforcement vehicles strategically placed - I didn't realise what they were until I came upon one parked half-way on the pavement.

Apologies if I don't read everything or respond - I want to remain signed in but I may be more quiet today. It's raining. No water coming in & I'm grateful for that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:New troll alert over at Groaniad Towers.....

I've been posting on Aditya's article on Benyon and the New Era housing estate - a deeply unpleasant thing called TwiggyWiggy who has been so rude to me today that I can only assume it is HappyChickie under a new name.
Deeply unpleasant perfect description of the commentator - thank you for the updated moniker.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Germany can deny benefits to jobless EU migrants, court rules
Britain’s Liberal Democrats and Labour welcome landmark ruling by European court of justice

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/n ... u-migrants
... The eagerly anticipated ruling could be interpreted as a victory, or a blow, for David Cameron. It is a victory in the sense that it supports the British government’s drive to curb benefit abuse by EU migrants. The British, Danish and Irish had voiced strong support for the German position in the dispute.

But it is also a defeat in the sense that the ruling means that these curbs can be achieved within the existing rules. Had the ruling gone the other way, it would have probably triggered a debate about reforming freedom of movement in Germany. Now, British calls for an overhaul of the existing systems are less likely to be heard.
It just got even more difficult for Cameron to bluster his way out of the problem he has created for himself ...
Cameron just does not care about anything but acting a part without regard for what he & his front bench do to anyone in the country & the world. It's all about Cameron.

"Does this drama make my bald spot disappear?"
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

All the people who are complaining about the EAW being wrong because some of the people got let off - do they think it was wrong to deport Abu Hamza because he "got off" as well?

There is nothing worse than a moral judgment based on hindsight.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Is this fair on Labour, that it has basically marooned it's excellent Rochester and Strood candidate? Tolhurst comes out spectacularly bad here.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... ts-voice-h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

DFH puts yesterday shambles down to one man, and one man only, John Bercow.

Pathetic.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Re Wanless - from AS's blog

Zac Goldsmith, a Conservative, says the report quotes a letter saying two cases were passed to the police for investigation. It is hard to believe there is not evidence of what happened, he says.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:DFH puts yesterday shambles down to one man, and one man only, John Bercow.

Pathetic.
He was obediently spouting the No 10 line on the EAW all last night - when is he finally going to drop the "tribally Labour" pretence?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Posting the EC link purely for selfish reasons, something I am not normally, but my general well being calls for it.

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... WirralWest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gobby idiot, no names needed reckons it's fine to work in your 70s, for some maybe, for a ******* lot it's not.

I hope Labour are putting in an Herculean effort in Wirral West.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/t ... ln-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:toss:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Don Hale @perryscope21 · Nov 9
John Mann MP said people had not told NSPCC chief Peter Wanless, because they are forbidden to reveal information by Official Secrets Act.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Is this fair on Labour, that it has basically marooned it's excellent Rochester and Strood candidate? Tolhurst comes out spectacularly bad here.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... ts-voice-h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, it isn't fair. As I've said above, I don't think this seat is winnable for Labour next week, too many voters want to give Cameron a bloody nose; but Labour has been doing the spadework for next May, and there has been a lot of activity on the ground which, obviously, isn't newsworthy enough for the Bubble. Naushabah has had support, in the form of warm bodies, from other CLPs (and not just local ones like mine), from her fellow PPCs and from a lot of MPs including the Shadow Cabinet; to my certain knowledge Miliband, Balls, Cooper, Harman, Burnham and Creagh have all been down to Medway to offer practical support, and there may be others I've missed. If these pundits are looking for Farage/Reckless style publicity stunts then they are missing the point spectacularly.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Shame McBride is such a giant tit at times, he makes pertinent points and always usually a good read, only skimmed through this, have to pick the hounds up from the barbers.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Ta Grim.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
Spacedone wrote:According to one person BTL at the Groan it was all the fault of that dastardly puppetmaster Ed Miliband, forcing that really lovely Theresa May to utterly abuse the Parliamentary procedure and pretend that a vote for one thing means that it's indicative of support for something else.

I guess this whole new "tag on whatever you want to a vote and pretend it gives you a mandate" wheeze means that the Government can now slip through whatever they want without really talking about it. I look forward to the forthcoming "Aren't kittens lovely / Bring back slavery for the poor" Bill.
Don't you remember that counter bill for the Bedroom tax they proposed which had something like "This house believes that the Labour government left the country in a terrible state" or something?
Yes - the Bedroom Tax -
Opposition Day - Housing Benefit - 2 Nov 2013

Rachel Reeves (Leeds West) (Lab):
I beg to move,

That this House regrets the pernicious effect on vulnerable and in many cases disabled people of deductions being made from housing benefit paid to working age tenants in the social housing sector deemed to have an excess number of bedrooms in their homes; calls on the Government to end these deductions with immediate effect...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1276000001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just prior to the vote & after debate:
Esther McVey (Wirral West) (Tory) - The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions:

We are planning to save money and move people into the right houses, something the Labour Government failed to do. They left people in the wrong houses and never supported them, and lived beyond their means.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1135001404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

No probs.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Is this fair on Labour, that it has basically marooned it's excellent Rochester and Strood candidate? Tolhurst comes out spectacularly bad here.

Unfortunately journalists have this power to shape a prejudicial account via their description of factual events. You could equally phrase it that a panicked David Cameron visits Rochester and Strood a staggering 5 times in desperation to try to save the Tories 10,000 majority. Instead the journalist prefers to focus on Miliband's single visit*, which he has every right to I suppose, but the conflation of fact (little overt Labour activity) with opinion (Labour can't be bothered/want to lose) is exactly what came out in Leveson as an abuse of the press. Factual reporting should be factual, opinion pieces should be flagged as such.

Chicken and egg. Labour need to get into power to enforce Leveson, implement constitutional reform and neuter the lobbyists and vested interests in order to get the level playing field they need in which to win an election and get into power...

*If Ed Miliband has in fact visited more than the once mentioned in the papers than this article is just straightforward lying bollocks and is patently unfair.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PMTalkingToYoungPeople.jpg
PMTalkingToYoungPeople.jpg (31.81 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
Isabel Hardman @IsabelHardman · 33m 33 minutes ago
PM on by-election visit, talking to a room of people too young to vote
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:

Unfortunately journalists have this power to shape a prejudicial account via their description of factual events. You could equally phrase it that a panicked David Cameron visits Rochester and Strood a staggering 5 times in desperation to try to save the Tories 10,000 majority. Instead the journalist prefers to focus on Miliband's single visit*, which he has every right to I suppose, but the conflation of fact (little overt Labour activity) with opinion (Labour can't be bothered/want to lose) is exactly what came out in Leveson as an abuse of the press. Factual reporting should be factual, opinion pieces should be flagged as such.

Chicken and egg. Labour need to get into power to enforce Leveson, implement constitutional reform and neuter the lobbyists and vested interests in order to get the level playing field they need in which to win an election and get into power...

*If Ed Miliband has in fact visited more than the once mentioned in the papers than this article is just straightforward lying bollocks and is patently unfair.
But instead what we have today is the Tories promising the right to a free press will be enshrined in their Bill of Rights ... I saw that and just thought - pre election bribe to keep the press they want on side.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

citizenJA wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:
Spacedone wrote:According to one person BTL at the Groan it was all the fault of that dastardly puppetmaster Ed Miliband, forcing that really lovely Theresa May to utterly abuse the Parliamentary procedure and pretend that a vote for one thing means that it's indicative of support for something else.

I guess this whole new "tag on whatever you want to a vote and pretend it gives you a mandate" wheeze means that the Government can now slip through whatever they want without really talking about it. I look forward to the forthcoming "Aren't kittens lovely / Bring back slavery for the poor" Bill.
Don't you remember that counter bill for the Bedroom tax they proposed which had something like "This house believes that the Labour government left the country in a terrible state" or something?
Yes - the Bedroom Tax -

I beg to move,

That this House regrets the pernicious effect on vulnerable and in many cases disabled people of deductions being made from housing benefit paid to working age tenants in the social housing sector deemed to have an excess number of bedrooms in their homes; calls on the Government to end these deductions with immediate effect...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1276000001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esther McVey (Wirral West) (Tory) - The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions:

We are planning to save money and move people into the right houses, something the Labour Government failed to do. They left people in the wrong houses and never supported them, and lived beyond their means.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1135001404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
Yes, the bit I meant was Steve Webb's "amendment"
The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (Steve Webb): I beg to move an amendment, to leave out from “House” to the end of the Question and add:

“notes the substantial structural deficit which was inherited from the previous Government and the need to get the nation’s finances back into shape; further notes the need to bring expenditure on housing benefit under control; further notes that the proposed reversal of this policy would cost the Exchequer around half a billion pounds a year; regrets any exaggeration and misrepresentation of the effects of the policy; recognises the inequality of allowing social tenants to receive benefit for a spare bedroom whilst denying this opportunity to private tenants; supports the Government’s action to deal with this unfairness whilst protecting vulnerable groups such as pensioners and providing substantial funding through Discretionary Housing Payments to local authorities to support other tenants who would otherwise be adversely affected; further notes the Government’s continuing commitment to monitor the effects of the policy and the use of Discretionary Housing Payments; and welcomes the potential beneficial impact of this policy on those living in overcrowded accommodation and the 2.1 million families on waiting lists.’”
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:

Yes - the Bedroom Tax -

I beg to move,

(my bold)
Cow !!!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Naushabah Khan @naushabahkhan · 21h 21 hours ago
This is disgraceful - you can't trust UKIP with the NHS - UKIP withdraws 'misleading' NHS photo election leaflet http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29994011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good. I posted the story about that 'misleading' leaflet yesterday. Was very surprised UKIP had tried such a slippery trick .... (ha ha, no I wasn't).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Posting the EC link purely for selfish reasons, something I am not normally, but my general well being calls for it.

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... WirralWest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gobby idiot, no names needed reckons it's fine to work in your 70s, for some maybe, for a ******* lot it's not.

I hope Labour are putting in an Herculean effort in Wirral West.
We've started getting Conservative leaflets in Wirral South. I guess this is it, the long run in.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A look at Naushabah Khan's twitter feed doesn't shriek lack of support from Labour to me.

https://twitter.com/naushabahkhan/with_replies
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

DonutHingeParty

Yes, the bit I meant was Steve Webb's "amendment"
The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (Steve Webb): I beg to move an amendment, to leave out from “House” to the end of the Question and add:

“notes the substantial structural deficit which was inherited from the previous Government and the need to get the nation’s finances back into shape; further notes the need to bring expenditure on housing benefit under control; further notes that the proposed reversal of this policy would cost the Exchequer around half a billion pounds a year; regrets any exaggeration and misrepresentation of the effects of the policy; recognises the inequality of allowing social tenants to receive benefit for a spare bedroom whilst denying this opportunity to private tenants; supports the Government’s action to deal with this unfairness whilst protecting vulnerable groups such as pensioners and providing substantial funding through Discretionary Housing Payments to local authorities to support other tenants who would otherwise be adversely affected; further notes the Government’s continuing commitment to monitor the effects of the policy and the use of Discretionary Housing Payments; and welcomes the potential beneficial impact of this policy on those living in overcrowded accommodation and the 2.1 million families on waiting lists.’”
Of course, you're right. I understand the magnitude of duplicity - an attempt to blame Labour & make current government cruelty look like There Is No Alternative.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Ohsocynical -

How do Tories get that way? What in the world happened in McVey's life or brain to get like that??

Look at that, will you - I used two question marks. I'll be using smileys at this rate.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:A look at Naushabah Khan's twitter feed doesn't shriek lack of support from Labour to me.

https://twitter.com/naushabahkhan/with_replies
I agree with you - good for her & Labour.

One thing more - Naushabah Khan retweeted the message I've quoted below from South East Labour & I wanted to comment on it.
@SELabour
Touching to see youthful enthusiasm at #RemembranceDay as 6 & 7 year olds from St Margarets & Kings recite prayers & songs in Rochester

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd no intention of going to the Remembrance ceremony in my local area this morning - I wandered into it walking back from the dentist. I was moved by the children & ceremony too. These are my neighbours - my community. It wasn't a celebration of war & there was nothing unwholesome in the gathering.

I don't know very much about Khan - I'm in no position to judge sincerity levels from her. I wanted to let you all know I hadn't expected to be touched by it. I was.

The most appropriate smiley I see in the lot representing my feelings at this time is the one with popcorn. I think I need to get something to eat.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I don't generally use the Graun now, but this is worth reading:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... ent-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it's about to get a whole lot worse after 2015. Expect the tipping point for many councils come 2017.

Edited to add: feel free to go in there and give the government hell, as this will be a crisis of their own making, and a lot of vulnerable people will suffer by it.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:

Deeply unpleasant perfect description of the commentator - thank you for the updated moniker.

If I could work out how to cut'n'paste the exchange, I'd post it here. It has got worse.......

Now I have my email back, I've sent a letter to the G to express the view that this individual is the latest in a long line of nasty new posters who have the same MO as others who have been banned or who have disappeared. I suspect Rusty and Chickie are under new management, as it were, because neither have posted for a few weeks.

Show and I were nattering about this earlier. When I joined a few years ago, you could wander into any thread and find intelligent discussions - I've learned a lot from many people on CIF. Not any more - they are being drowned out by the trolls; there is a lot of deliberate baiting going on, very like what TGS got from Rusty not so long ago.
It's not just unpleasant, it is turning the G comments sections into the worst sort of tabloid-style crapola that exists elsewhere.
It's bad enough that the hacks and editorial staff are so bloody tedious these days, but many of the really good commentators seem to be disappearing, and the ones who soldier on are spending most of their time rebutting trolls and their nonsense.

I have been targeted by a CIF poster in the past - Cinimon/Flower3/other/same person - who usually stayed on the cartoon threads until she got a bee in her bonnet about me. She followed me all over CIF wherever I went, making weird passive-aggressive comments to wind me up, then accusing me of bullying when I responded. Martin Rowson told her off on numerous occasions.
She had a sidekick called FriendOfTheLeft (who was nothing of the kind) and they took to following me and LightaCandle onTwitter doing the same sort of stuff. Very weird. Then they disappeared after Rowson got really exasperated with them.

What was once a great newspaper, the old Manchester Guardian, a paper which championed the cause of the radicals whose protests led to the Peterloo Massacre, should be ashamed of itself. It's rapidly turning into something I don't want to have much to do with.
I was a staunch supporter of the G for decades - and although it still has its moments and remains a bit better than the rest, its decline is a very sad thing to witness. :cry:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

If I could work out how to cut'n'paste the exchange, I'd post it here. It has got worse.......

Now I have my email back, I've sent a letter to the G to express the view that this individual is the latest in a long line of nasty new posters who have the same MO as others who have been banned or who have disappeared. I suspect Rusty and Chickie are under new management, as it were, because neither have posted for a few weeks.

Show and I were nattering about this earlier. When I joined a few years ago, you could wander into any thread and find intelligent discussions - I've learned a lot from many people on CIF. Not any more - they are being drowned out by the trolls; there is a lot of deliberate baiting going on, very like what TGS got from Rusty not so long ago.
It's not just unpleasant, it is turning the G comments sections into the worst sort of tabloid-style crapola that exists elsewhere.
It's bad enough that the hacks and editorial staff are so bloody tedious these days, but many of the really good commentators seem to be disappearing, and the ones who soldier on are spending most of their time rebutting trolls and their nonsense.

I have been targeted by a CIF poster in the past - Cinimon/Flower3/other/same person - who usually stayed on the cartoon threads until she got a bee in her bonnet about me. She followed me all over CIF wherever I went, making weird passive-aggressive comments to wind me up, then accusing me of bullying when I responded. Martin Rowson told her off on numerous occasions.
She had a sidekick called FriendOfTheLeft (who was nothing of the kind) and they took to following me and LightaCandle onTwitter doing the same sort of stuff. Very weird. Then they disappeared after Rowson got really exasperated with them.

What was once a great newspaper, the old Manchester Guardian, a paper which championed the cause of the radicals whose protests led to the Peterloo Massacre, should be ashamed of itself. It's rapidly turning into something I don't want to have much to do with.
I was a staunch supporter of the G for decades - and although it still has its moments and remains a bit better than the rest, its decline is a very sad thing to witness. :cry:
I read a bit of the 'exchange' ephemerid - and was disgusted by her posts. Hope you can let it wash over you, rather than let it in.

Agree with the 'decline of the G' - very very sad.

We so need an alternative live blog.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:@Ohsocynical -

How do Tories get that way? What in the world happened in McVey's life or brain to get like that??

Look at that, will you - I used two question marks. I'll be using smileys at this rate.
From the articles I've read Conservatives are born that way. Psychopathic to a certain degree which merely means they usually stop at murder. They're certainly not what you or I would class as normal.
They certainly have the empathy bump missing.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Good luck with that, hope you get more joy than I did.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 5h5 hours ago
Good news for ppl commenting on Guardian live blogs - With Beta, you can now upload page showing 100 comments in 1 go http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... t-43479157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Philip Cowley ‏@philipjcowley 5h5 hours ago
@AndrewSparrow Is that really *good* news?

AndrewSparrowVerified account
‏@AndrewSparrow
@philipjcowley You'd be surprised how angry people were BTL about the old format
What was that we were saying about the decline of the G?

I'm wondering what AS is referring to as the 'old format'. I suspect it was the new old format - i.e. the vile nesting. And yes, people didn't like it and were angry about it. Before that however ....