Wednesday 12th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Wednesday 12th November 2014

Post by LadyCentauria »

They can see that Philae is definitely SITTING on the surface harpoons fired, rewound, anchored and secure! How bloody amazing is this part of this day!? Science, scientists, knowledge, there is definitely terrestrial intelligence (quote!)

I would add that much of this is thanks to the absolutely brilliant UK team of scientists, as well as to the other 19 countries involved in the process. This is why R&D and Space funding is so important. Comets carry water, gases of various sorts, solid matter of various sorts, even amino acids which are the very building blocks of life. I am crying and really need tea...

Edit to add that one of the British scientists has just admitted that they very nearly postponed todays actions late last night because of some problems they were having...
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Wed 12 Nov, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:Don't the Guardian / Observer usually defend their own figures by saying "We focussed on our Opiniman(?) survey because it's the one we pay for - in which case, why so much prominence given to a rival survey?

I don't know, though, there's something about the wind that makes me think Mr "The problem with WWI was that not enough people died" could be in for a shock.
Who on earth is Mr 'The problem with WW1 was that not enough people died'? Must have missed that one ...
Who else?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -world-war
“We should have pursued the war for a further six weeks, and gone for an unconditional surrender. Yes the last six weeks of the war cost us 100,000 casualties, and I’m prepared to accept that a further six weeks of war might have cost us another 100,000."
It's actually interesting to speculate whether it would have taken 6 weeks. Germany by then was so mutinous that it's quite possible that there would have been a Bolshevik revolution - and then who would the allies have negotiated with? It's not commonly known that the body that really put German resistance to an end was the German Imperial Fleet, whose sailors refused - and very wisely - to sally out and face the Royal Navy in what would have been indiscriminate and wanton slaughter.

Here's a handy little link:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... -to-mutiny" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, Farago probably knows nothing of it or the period so would parrot little idiocies like "might have cost us another 100,000" and it being a fair deal, but anyone who actually knows the period in any detail would recognise that it simply wasn't a question of the allied armies pushing on further into Germany to effect an unconditional surrender, as that was quite unnecessary by then. Germany had collapsed. It was a defeat as complete as that of 1945, and had the negotiations after the Armistice been better handled, it's unlikely that the "stab in the back" conspiracy theory would have gained much if any momentum. And just imagine how a communist Germany might have been...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Wasn't Chris Grayling, the official worst Justice Minister ever, in the SDP, explains a lot. But leaving aside my throw away comment, he is also in the most under scrutinised government ever, imagine the reaction of the frequently mentioned rag if this happened under Labour?

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... collapse-i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:MORI gives the SNP eight (!!) per cent - its figures "show" they would win every Scottish seat.

Since no other polls are claiming this, you can draw your own conclusions.
But just to help you draw your own conclusions...

Last time they polled 1.7% of the national vote, or 491,386 votes

If they are at 8%, on 2010 turn out that would be 2,309,514 votes.

In 2010 the turnout in scotland was 2,465,722, which would put the SNP on 93% in Scotland.

The IndieRef turnout was 3,623,344 - on that turnout 8% in the UK poll would put the SNP on 64% in Scotland.

(The last Holyrood turnout was just under 2,000,000 - putting them at over 100% on those figures.)
We could be generous and assume it is 7.5% rounded up - or even that the "energising" effect of the referendum has made Scottish voters more likely to say they are "certain to vote" than in E/W. But even then, you are left with utterly implausible figures.

And since such a skewed result has a deflating effect on the Labour score GB-wide.......
Ah - IPSOS-MORI, who claimed at the beginning of the month that 66% of Scots want another referendum within 10 years!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3590293

(Not that I have any evidence to refute them - but it seems strange, given the referendum result).
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LadyCentauria wrote:They can see that Philae is definitely SITTING on the surface harpoons fired, rewound, anchored and secure! How bloody amazing is this part of this day!? Science, scientists, knowledge, there is definitely terrestrial intelligence (quote!)

I would add that much of this is thanks to the absolutely brilliant UK team of scientists, as well as to the other 19 countries involved in the process. This is why R&D and Space funding is so important. Comets carry water, gases of various sorts, solid matter of various sorts, even amino acids which are the very building blocks of life. I am crying and really need tea...

Edit to add that one of the British scientists has just admitted that they very nearly postponed todays actions late last night because of some problems they were having...
It's beyond a red letter day. You are living through history.

When I was young, landing on comets/asteroids/etc was considered the stuff of scifi or speculation.

Today it is a scientific fact.

Sort of puts all the political stuff into perspective, I think.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson · 1m1 minute ago
Evil Euro Death Star invades comet!!! Vote UKIP to save us from the Treens of Brussels!!!!!
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I popped over to the Graun to see if they were reporting the mission - they are, and amusingly, there's a stream of spam posts from people either offering cut price loans, or religious nutters accepting them! Says better than I can just how awful the Graun is now becoming.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'Teresa Pearce, Labour member of the Treasury select committee, recently told the Huffington Post UK that the Bank "must be free of political interference."

"Since Mr Carney took his post, he has dangled the prospect of raising interest rates a number of times," she said. "He said once there were more people employed, that interest rates may rise. Well there are more, and they have not risen."

Fellow Labour Treasury committee member John Mann said it was "abundantly clear" that Carney would raise rates "immediately" after the next election.'

http://huff.to/1qDJb9g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ErnstRemarx wrote: Of course, Farago probably knows nothing of it or the period so would parrot little idiocies like "might have cost us another 100,000" and it being a fair deal, but anyone who actually knows the period in any detail would recognise that it simply wasn't a question of the allied armies pushing on further into Germany to effect an unconditional surrender, as that was quite unnecessary by then. Germany had collapsed. It was a defeat as complete as that of 1945, and had the negotiations after the Armistice been better handled, it's unlikely that the "stab in the back" conspiracy theory would have gained much if any momentum. And just imagine how a communist Germany might have been...
He's parroting the American General Pershing who wanted to press on to Berlin.
Renewing the offensive on November 1, the Americans joined the advancing British and French armies in forcing the Germans to accept an armistice on November 11. Pershing was the only Allied commander who opposed the armistice, urging continued pressure until the Germans surrendered unconditionally.
In France, Pershing remained a disciple of iron discipline and constantly tried to shape the American Expeditionary Force to West Point standards. He ruthlessly relieved division officers who faltered under pressure. In a toast on armistice night, he paid honest tribute to how he had emerged from the cauldron of the Argonne a victorious general. “To the men,” he said. “They were willing to pay the price.”
http://www.history.com/topics/world-war ... j-pershing
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

It's that time of year again. The Bad Sex Awards, judging by Kirsty Wark's effort there will be no need to change her name to Wank?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/poll/2 ... tlist-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wasn't Chris Grayling, the official worst Justice Minister ever, in the SDP, explains a lot. But leaving aside my throw away comment, he is also in the most under scrutinised government ever, imagine the reaction of the frequently mentioned rag if this happened under Labour?

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... collapse-i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If Labour do come into government in 2015 - there's going to have to be such an almighty repair job done on so many services. And I imagine it's not easy to put things back to a sense of stability and safety - even if you repeal a lot of the downright nasty, arbitrary and punitive for no positive benefit measures that Grayling has introduced - the damage done to staff, prisoner, volunteer and other visiting professionals relationships with the system isn't going to be repaired overnight. A lot of goodwill, trust and good staff will have gone.
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Of course, Farago probably knows nothing of it or the period so would parrot little idiocies like "might have cost us another 100,000" and it being a fair deal, but anyone who actually knows the period in any detail would recognise that it simply wasn't a question of the allied armies pushing on further into Germany to effect an unconditional surrender, as that was quite unnecessary by then. Germany had collapsed. It was a defeat as complete as that of 1945, and had the negotiations after the Armistice been better handled, it's unlikely that the "stab in the back" conspiracy theory would have gained much if any momentum. And just imagine how a communist Germany might have been...
He's parroting the American General Pershing who wanted to press on to Berlin.
Renewing the offensive on November 1, the Americans joined the advancing British and French armies in forcing the Germans to accept an armistice on November 11. Pershing was the only Allied commander who opposed the armistice, urging continued pressure until the Germans surrendered unconditionally.
In France, Pershing remained a disciple of iron discipline and constantly tried to shape the American Expeditionary Force to West Point standards. He ruthlessly relieved division officers who faltered under pressure. In a toast on armistice night, he paid honest tribute to how he had emerged from the cauldron of the Argonne a victorious general. “To the men,” he said. “They were willing to pay the price.”
http://www.history.com/topics/world-war ... j-pershing
That would be the same Pershing who refused to learn from the French and British experiences on the western front, and re-enacted the massive losses experienced by the former earlier in the war by repeating tactics that by then had been proven to be both costly and unsuccessful? I do believe it might. There are few generals in history quite as ready to throw away good troops as Pershing was. If he'd tried his tactics with the battle hardened and experienced men of the French and imperial armies, he'd probably have seen a revolution all of his own as the troops strung him up.

It's common knowledge that allied troops and generals greatly admired the American troops that joined them in 1918, but they were generally appalled at the standards in the American officer corps, who, unwilling to learn from other's bitter experience decided that they knew better and that the Bosche would flee when assailed by the Doughboys. That belief cost the lives of thousands of young Americans.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:They can see that Philae is definitely SITTING on the surface harpoons fired, rewound, anchored and secure! How bloody amazing is this part of this day!? Science, scientists, knowledge, there is definitely terrestrial intelligence (quote!)

When I was young, landing on comets/asteroids/etc was considered the stuff of scifi or speculation.

I have to fight my dad's corner here - thirty years ago he worked with British Aerospace and the French Arianne to send Giotto through the tail of Halley's Comet, which helped to lay the groundwork for the understanding of what Philae needed to do in order to land on a comet in the first place.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

I have to fight my dad's corner here - thirty years ago he worked with British Aerospace and the French Arianne to send Giotto through the tail of Halley's Comet, which helped to lay the groundwork for the understanding of what Philae needed to do in order to land on a comet in the first place.
I remember the mission - quite gripping stuff as I recall. I'm glad that your dad had a chance like that; he, too, made history.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Hi all,

Results are in re Watford Local Hero.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... ner_is___/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Fiona O'Donnell MP ‏@FionaODonnellMP 34m34 minutes ago
SNP and Tories vote in SP to block Labour's cap on rent increases in private sector. Who's in bed with the Tories now?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tizme1 wrote:Hi all,

Results are in re Watford Local Hero.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... ner_is___/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well he looks like a worthy winner. Good on him.

And S J Trebar has already proven her winning credentials in the most important contest.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 2h2 hours ago
Labour will call in NAO to urgently review Universal Credit & see what can be salvaged from shambles - @ChrisBryantMP http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1024492 ... e-claiming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
politics.co.uk ‏@Politics_co_uk 1h1 hour ago
Iain Duncan Smith to meet Universal Credit target in 700 years time http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... in-700-yea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... in-700-yea

Iain Duncan Smith to meet Universal Credit target in 700 years time

Sounds about right. :roll:

re Rosetta, brilliant.
Last edited by gilsey on Wed 12 Nov, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
SNP and Tories vote in SP to block Labour's cap on rent increases in private sector. Who's in bed with the Tories now?
Possibly in retaliation for this from Anas Sarwar:
The SNP has “failed to introduce a single progressive policy” in its time in government, even “siding with the Tories to block Labour’s proposals” for promotion of the living wage in public procurement, he said in advance extracts from his speech.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3601892

One can only hope that this is the beginning of the fight back by Labour in Scotland.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Preece ‏@RobPreeceOnline 3h3 hours ago
I have met a good number of @MoJPress officers. I hadn't realised they were working for free: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id ... g213414.r0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Andy Slaughter MPVerified account
‏@hammersmithandy
.@RobPreeceOnline @TheHowardLeague Explains the robotic nature of their output: "..most generous legal aid system...no prison crisis...etc."
You need to click the link in Rob Preece's tweet to get the full understanding and humour of this ...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

RobertSnozers wrote: Anthony Wells has long pointed out that people always say yes when asked by pollsters if they want a referendum on anything. (The one exception is the abolition of the Royal family). 'Do you want a referendum on x' is an utterly meaningless question.
Thankfully (IMO) they don't always vote 'yes' when they get the referendum though. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote: If I ever meet Farage I might have to beat him with Gary Sheffield's biography of Haig.
I think you could probably issue paying tickets for that activity ... I'd come along!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

I absolutely agree. I was born in 1958, six and a half months after Sputnik 1 was launched. A month before I was born, America hurriedly launched The Space Race. I am a child of the Space Age and have followed all the missions I could since I was consciously able to do so.

The first pictures from Phylae on the surface of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is expected within the hour. We do not know how long the little craft will stay there because the anchors failed on start-up and they might not be able to deploy them – they should have screwed into the surface. It is a wonder that it got down at all, not just because of the risks of missing the comet, getting blasted off course by gas-jets, crashing into cliffs, and falling down crevasses but because one of the fuel tanks had split and leaked so the thruster on the top of Phylae could not fire, and there were various other problems last night. Oh, timing, they have just confirmed that the ice-screws have gone in!

The pics we are expecting include a panoramic shot from the onboard cameras and possibly a ground penetration scan...

Earlier, a Brit at Mission Control (whose name I did not catch) said: Someone said that today we have moved from science-fiction to science-fact; but I prefer to say, Hollywood is great but Rosetta is better. I concur! He also reminded us that this was one of the late Prof. Colin Pilger's projects. I wish he could have lived to see this day and I hope his name will always be high amongst the list of founders of the mission. His Beagle 2 might not have landed, and Beagle 3 been turned down for funding, but one out of three ain't bad.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Man who applied for 60 jobs while protesting at DWP policy sanctioned
Blogpost by copywriter Peter Styles, who was forced to sign on daily, attracts widespread support after detailing the dispute

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... sanctioned
:wall: :wall: :wall: How much more of this will people be able to take?

And this from BTL:
Carolan99
12 November 2014 4:49pm

When I was unemployed I had a particularly nasty jobcentre advisor who I swear took great pleasure in sanctioning people. Maybe she got a bonus? When it happened to me I just cried. I had just swapped my home and moved 30 miles away, my son was half way through his last year of primary school and was devastated. I did it just to find work and I was told I hadn't done enough, despite fulfilling my jobseekers agreement, trying to deal with a mouse problem in my home, my son getting bullied at his new school, being totally skint and not to mention the guilt I felt over turning my son's life upside down. I hadnt' done enough.
After all that upheaval I couldn't even get an interview in poundland, I have now forced myself to be self-employed. Still skint, but unemployment figures down a bit.
If I met Ian Duncan Smith tomorrow I would give him a kick in the nuts. Nasty Bast*rd
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:If Farage actually thinks ....
I think we can stop you at that point. :D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott @johnprescott · 18h 18 hours ago
I'm John Prescott and I approve this tweet RT @gplondon: Tories 2015 election strategy is to be called, 'The Right to Lie Scheme.'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night PF
rebeccariots2 wrote:
That is not going down well with the 45ers! :D
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

DonutHingeParty wrote: I have to fight my dad's corner here - thirty years ago he worked with British Aerospace and the French Arianne to send Giotto through the tail of Halley's Comet, which helped to lay the groundwork for the understanding of what Philae needed to do in order to land on a comet in the first place.
I salute your father :rock:

And, assuming that he is still with us, please send my thanks and congratulations. So many 'firsts' on that mission and still, I think, the only craft to visit two comets. I wonder where it is now and whether it might end up as the nucleus for a sort of comet itself, in future years.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

MoJ mulls new attempt to take compensation from asbestos victims
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... bestos-vic
... Mesothelioma is a horrible condition which leaves sufferers with usually about two years to live. That's why the House of Lords exempted them from the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act (Laspo). That legislation, which forced successful personal injury claims to pay out 25% of their compensation in costs, specifically excluded mesothelioma sufferers until lord chancellor Chris Grayling had conducted a review.

But the MoJ did not conduct a review. Instead it tried to pass off a series of meetings as a consultation, without the people involved in them actually knowing it was a consultation. Then they lifted the exception. It was a cheap, mean little trick, which lawyers claimed in court was done in collusion with the insurance industry.

As the judge said following a successful judicial review:

"Did the lord chancellor carry out a proper review...? I conclude that he did not. No reasonable lord chancellor... would have considered that the exercise... carried out fulfilled that duty."

That should have been enough disgrace to force the MoJ to retreat, but it appears it is still considering pressing ahead with an appeal. ...

I'm thinking of a 'Swot Grayling with a rolled up copy of the Human Rights Act' event - any takers?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
Goodnight, PF x
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

See for yourself! ROLIS imaged #67P when we were just 3km away! Glad I can share. #CometLanding

https://twitter.com/Philae2014/status/5 ... 7585651713
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How can Labour overcome Ed Miliband’s poor appeal to voters?
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... to-voters/
Never mind the piece (it's sort of what I'd expect from Isabel Hardman - not nasty, reasonable reflection and reporting of what Labour activists have told her).

It's the comments BTL that stun me. It's not just the G that's infested by people making really unpleasant and at times downright offensive comments ...

It seems rabid Ukipping is everywhere now.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There is a similar piece in the Torygraph - asking a variety of their columnists (Hardman included) what Ed and Labour should now do.

Mostly, it is surprisingly rational and reasonable; of course there is one exception to this - step forward (who else) Dan F Hodges! :roll: :toss: :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Krishnan Guru-Murthy ‏@krishgm 5h5 hours ago
I know the Mori poll is probably a bit rogue but if the Tories get more votes but fewer seats than Labour who ought to be Prime Minister?

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 5h5 hours ago
@krishgm Miliband. But I doubt the voting system would survive such an outcome

Joel Taylor ‏@JoelTaylorMetro 5h5 hours ago
@jameschappers @krishgm it survived the 1951 election.

Emma Burnell ‏@EmmaBurnell_ 5h5 hours ago
@JoelTaylorMetro @jameschappers @krishgm we're in very different times than 1951. Dominance of larger parties now broken as it wasn't then.

Joel Taylor ‏@JoelTaylorMetro 5h5 hours ago
@EmmaBurnell_ @jameschappers @krishgm more likely to result in pressure for an early election, despite fixed terms

Emma Burnell ‏@EmmaBurnell_ 5h5 hours ago
@JoelTaylorMetro @jameschappers @krishgm fixed term was a huge mistake. Will lead to so much less stability - not more as it was sold.

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 5h5 hours ago
@EmmaBurnell_ @JoelTaylorMetro @krishgm fixed terms will go down among coalition's worst errors. Elec system hard to defend if Con+Lab = 60%

Emma Burnell
‏@EmmaBurnell_
@jameschappers @JoelTaylorMetro @krishgm can't argue with either of those. But equally don't think changing either will be panacea.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is a similar piece in the Torygraph - asking a variety of their columnists (Hardman included) what Ed and Labour should now do.

Mostly, it is surprisingly rational and reasonable; of course there is one exception to this - step forward (who else) Dan F Hodges! :roll: :toss: :lol:
Did his advice include some writing paper and pen and lots of extra time with his family for Ed Miliband? Just guessing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Interesting that the Speccie also has a Nick Cohen piece absolutely eviscerating "UKIP puppet" Cameron. It seems that his 24-carat effrontery in asking centre-left supporters to tactically vote Tory in Rochester may have been too much even for some in the "bubble" :toss:

Also, a sensible and constructive "10 things Ed should do now" piece in LabourList - continuing their recent good run.

Are people now, just maybe, starting to wake up?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

10 tangible changes Ed Miliband could make today to kickstart his leadership
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/10-tangib ... eadership/
Have to hand it to Ferguson. These are good, practical suggestions. He's thought about things and is being properly constructive.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Interesting that the Speccie also has a Nick Cohen piece absolutely eviscerating "UKIP puppet" Cameron. It seems that his 24-carat effrontery in asking centre-left supporters to tactically vote Tory in Rochester may have been too much even for some in the "bubble" :toss:

Also, a sensible and constructive "10 things Ed should do now" piece in LabourList - continuing their recent good run.

Ah - snap with the Labour List piece. I've just posted the link with a similar appraisal of it.

Yes, I hope people are starting to wake up.

I suppose, on reflection, it's a bit worrying that it needs Ferguson, a journalist, to point out some very straightforward and easy to implement actions re improving Ed's profile, connection with the party and wider communities. What are the people who are supposedly being paid to do such a role - actually doing?

I couldn't agree more with Ferguson's advice for both Ed - and the shadow frontbenchers - to get out of Westminster as much as possible.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I am starting to think Ed has too many people around him who are wedded to the "old" politics (ex newspaper hacks and the like)

What happened to Arnie Graf?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Interesting that the Speccie also has a Nick Cohen piece absolutely eviscerating "UKIP puppet" Cameron. It seems that his 24-carat effrontery in asking centre-left supporters to tactically vote Tory in Rochester may have been too much even for some in the "bubble" :toss:

People are stupid. Don't expect too much from them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

diGriz wrote:

People are stupid. Don't expect to much from them.
I was thinking more of "opinion formers" than the general public - but yeah, that is probably a tad optimistic as well :twisted:

But what the hell, without a bit of hope what's the point? The truth has a habit of outing eventually, even if some try to hide it.......
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:And the first picture has now come in from the comet itself ......

Grim - didn't have you down as an anthropologist. Still, my people are very photogenic ...
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 2h2 hours ago
Labour will call in NAO to urgently review Universal Credit & see what can be salvaged from shambles - @ChrisBryantMP http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1024492 ... e-claiming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
politics.co.uk ‏@Politics_co_uk 1h1 hour ago
Iain Duncan Smith to meet Universal Credit target in 700 years time http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/11 ... in-700-yea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good move, that. That's what the NAO are for - value for money reports. It was their blithe notification on their homepage website taxpayers are out £6b because the financial sector needed it that made me more interested in their role in the UK.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gail going for another twitter storm tomorrow
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Off out night all
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:And the first picture has now come in from the comet itself ......

Grim - didn't have you down as an anthropologist. Still, my people are very photogenic ...
Any truth in the rumour that today's events have seen the Soup Dragon form UKlanger?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Man who applied for 60 jobs while protesting at DWP policy sanctioned
Blogpost by copywriter Peter Styles, who was forced to sign on daily, attracts widespread support after detailing the dispute

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... sanctioned

:wall: :wall: :wall: How much more of this will people be able to take?

And this from BTL:
Carolan99
12 November 2014 4:49pm

When I was unemployed I had a particularly nasty jobcentre advisor who I swear took great pleasure in sanctioning people. Maybe she got a bonus? When it happened to me I just cried. I had just swapped my home and moved 30 miles away, my son was half way through his last year of primary school and was devastated. I did it just to find work and I was told I hadn't done enough, despite fulfilling my jobseekers agreement, trying to deal with a mouse problem in my home, my son getting bullied at his new school, being totally skint and not to mention the guilt I felt over turning my son's life upside down. I hadnt' done enough.
After all that upheaval I couldn't even get an interview in poundland, I have now forced myself to be self-employed. Still skint, but unemployment figures down a bit.
If I met Ian Duncan Smith tomorrow I would give him a kick in the nuts. Nasty Bast*rd

We happen to both have no conditionality to seek work.Received a letter from.the DWP today stating I might have to attend a work focused interview,which has never been mentioned previously.I'm presuming it's just a case of a generic letter which has changed ,but revealing of the default position ,regardless of circumstance.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
diGriz wrote:

People are stupid. Don't expect to much from them.
I was thinking more of "opinion formers" than the general public - but yeah, that is probably a tad optimistic as well :twisted:

But what the hell, without a bit of hope what's the point? The truth has a habit of outing eventually, even if some try to hide it.......
Nothing wrong with a bit of hope.