Wednesday 12th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Wednesday 12th November 2014

Post by LadyCentauria »

US and China sign historic climate agreement:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-30015545
China and the US have unveiled new targets to cut greenhouse gas emissions, as the leaders of the two countries met for talks in Beijing.

US President Barack Obama said the move was "historic", as he set a new goal of reducing US levels between 26%-28% by 2025, compared with 2005 levels.

China did not set a specific target, but said emissions would peak by 2030.

It is the first time China, the world's biggest polluter, has set an approximate date for emissions to peak.
Between them, the two countries produce 45% of the world-wide carbon dioxide. Europe produces 10% of the total – I think that includes the UK.

Oh, good morning. I am waiting for the Rosetta craft to drop its probe, starting at 6 a.m.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 12th November 2014

Post by LadyCentauria »

For those interested in following the Rosetta/Philae lander launch you can watch the ESA Mission Control live broadcasts live on: http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

If all goes well, and they have had some rather tricky moments overnight, the landing itself should happen in about nine-and-a-half hours time. They are currently carrying out a change-of-orbit manoeuvre to line up for the separation in about two-and-a-half hours...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Five banks fined £2bn for foreign exchange rigging -

http://gu.com/p/438jd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is a Banker ever going to see the inside of a jail cell? I'm thinking if a group of people got together and somehow manipulated interest rates affecting savings and mortgages they'd be personally be in a spot of bother. Do it as a company and well ....
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Morning all.

This is from a couple of days ago but I'm not sure if it got posted.

The story of the millionaire Tory MP and the tenants facing homelessness
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ard-benyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Deleted post
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 12 Nov, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

May have some time later if it rains [want to garden if it's sunny, bulbs still to be planted] so am happy to contact people by email to send them the Cure The NHS link Paul provided yesterday.

Who can I send it to to try and get it into the MSM, or is the cult of St Julie so strong - remember hearing Jenni Murray talk to Bailey in a hushed, reverential voice, that no one will be interested.

Will send it to:

The Mirror
Huff Post
Political Scrapbook
The Independent
The Guardian
David Hencke [he's an NHS supporter]
Channel 4 News
BBC Panorama

Who else have I forgotten, or if anyone can suggest any journo names at the Mirror, Guardian etc I will try phoning them.
Morning yahyah

There was a journo who followed up on Steve Walker's work I think…..

I'll try and remember….
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

and why not try Jenni Murray?

I've been tweeting Womans Hour every time Bailey announces to the world where she's speaking, pointing out the absurdity of her having to be broadcast from a hidden location for her safety on Womans Hour :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Why welfare is not about them and us "
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

deleted post
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 12 Nov, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

The lander has been successfully released from the Rosetta craft!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Paul - do you think I should delete my posts and you your reply that contains my quote -

keep our powder dry ? In case any of St Julie's pals prowl hereabouts ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Paul - do you think I should delete my posts and you your reply that contains my quote -

This is why we need a private space to discuss stuff we don't necessarily want open to the world via bots & spiders.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Paul - do you think I should delete my posts and you your reply that contains my quote -

This is why we need a private space to discuss stuff we don't necessarily want open to the world via bots & spiders.
Or operate a cascade private message system on sensitive stuff ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Errors in the Wanless/Whittam report
http://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/2014 ... am-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...from Daves Incompetence Index yesterday -
@PfY: Is it possible that Theresa May is actually trying to do the right thing on the paedophile dossier and that Cameron is systematically undermining her credibility?

@RR2: He's got to be very very careful. This is one of the issues that I think people really won't stand for any of his ridiculous attempts at tricksy dodgings and waving away noncholantly ... as the Jimmy Savile stuff gets worse and worse - people are beginning to realise that what might once have seemed beyond the realms of reality, been able to be dismissed as paranoia, just cannot be anymore. Some of the truth has been worse than people might have imagined.*
A very odd day yesterday...I think we've finally found a Tory with b******s :shock: . Ms May (of the kitten heels and 'I'm not making this up' fame) has gone up in my estimation. I heard the part of her speech yesterday regarding the Wanless report where she stated, in Parliament (so recorded in Hansard) that, although they found no evidence of a cover-up, that didn't mean there wasn't a cover-up...and then...."we are determined to get to the truth of this" - I know I live in Hope and am far too optimistic, but to me it was a genuine statement. It gets better...as linked yesterday, OGRFG then had a go...and I think he may have finally FUBARed himself, rather than undermining Ms May.

The Beeb (possibly, in this case, not the Bullingdon Broadcasting Corp) has this (still there this morning - and it's quite detailed - don't be put off by the title)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30002908

"It is, therefore, not possible to say whether files were ever removed or destroyed to cover up or hide allegations of organised or systematic child abuse by particular individuals because of the systems then in place," the report said.

"It follows that we cannot say that no file was removed or destroyed for that reason. By making those observations they should not be misinterpreted.

"We do not conclude that there is any basis for thinking that anything happened to files that should not have happened to them, but identify that limitation in our review.

"Further, and with the same caveat, our review cannot be taken to have concluded one way or the other whether there was organised child abuse that has yet to be fully uncovered - indeed it is public knowledge that active police investigations examining allegations of historic child abuse are under way."

Prime Minister David Cameron said the report meant people "looking for conspiracy theories" would "have to look elsewhere".

But speaking to BBC Radio 4's PM, Peter Wanless said David Cameron was "wrong" to say his report proved there was no cover-up.

"He can only say that into the registered filing system of the Home Office.

"I think it's really important that no-one regards our piece of work as the beginning and end of all this," he said.

The Beeb? Reporting Dodgy Dave as being wrong? No wonder the Currant Bun was having a go at Ms May yesterday - their boy might be in a bit of trouble and they couldn't pin it on Mr Ed (for once!) Suffice to say, the Survivors are distinctly unimpressed and it has most definitely put 'clear blue water' between Dave and Teresa. Even Uncle Ruperts' putrid organs won't publicly condone Survivors being told they're conspiracists any more (changing the habit of over 30 years of complicity in this horrific mess by desperately manufacturing shiny squirrels - see Mazher Mahmood)

*Some of the truth has been worse than people might have imagined.

I'm afraid to say what has been reported in the MSM thus far is just the tip of the iceberg...if a small proportion of the accusations in Conspiracy-World are correct, the truth is going to get a whole lot worse.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ONS say unemployment down to 6.0% or fall of 115,000 people.
Pay growth up to 1.3% (just above CPI rate)
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Spacedone wrote:Morning all.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ard-benyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Genuine question (possibly for Twitter)...

Who has profited the most from Housing Benefit over the last 4 years?

a) Tory MP Richard Benyon, or b) UKIP Housing spokesman, Andrew Charalambous?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And today's Labour-bashing story in the guardian?

The news that PwC have provided people on secondment to help with formulating tax policies. Like happens with all parties.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mentpage=1

As I pointed out the chap who runs the Office for Tax Simplification at the Treasury came from...PwC.

Where do people expect policy advice to come from?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Watching press preview last night, I did a quick pic of the page in the S*n where they covered the Wanless report so apologies for the crap photo but I was interested in the way they reported it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 17939 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lonewolfie wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Morning all.

Genuine question (possibly for Twitter)...

Who has profited the most from Housing Benefit over the last 4 years?

a) Tory MP Richard Benyon, or b) UKIP Housing spokesman, Andrew Charalambous?
That's a good tweet.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Lonewolfie wrote:Morning all...from Daves Incompetence Index yesterday -
@PfY: Is it possible that Theresa May is actually trying to do the right thing on the paedophile dossier and that Cameron is systematically undermining her credibility?

@RR2: He's got to be very very careful. This is one of the issues that I think people really won't stand for any of his ridiculous attempts at tricksy dodgings and waving away noncholantly ... as the Jimmy Savile stuff gets worse and worse - people are beginning to realise that what might once have seemed beyond the realms of reality, been able to be dismissed as paranoia, just cannot be anymore. Some of the truth has been worse than people might have imagined.*
A very odd day yesterday...I think we've finally found a Tory with b******s :shock: . Ms May (of the kitten heels and 'I'm not making this up' fame) has gone up in my estimation. I heard the part of her speech yesterday regarding the Wanless report where she stated, in Parliament (so recorded in Hansard) that, although they found no evidence of a cover-up, that didn't mean there wasn't a cover-up...and then...."we are determined to get to the truth of this" - I know I live in Hope and am far too optimistic, but to me it was a genuine statement. It gets better...as linked yesterday, OGRFG then had a go...and I think he may have finally FUBARed himself, rather than undermining Ms May.

The Beeb (possibly, in this case, not the Bullingdon Broadcasting Corp) has this (still there this morning - and it's quite detailed - don't be put off by the title)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30002908

"It is, therefore, not possible to say whether files were ever removed or destroyed to cover up or hide allegations of organised or systematic child abuse by particular individuals because of the systems then in place," the report said.

"It follows that we cannot say that no file was removed or destroyed for that reason. By making those observations they should not be misinterpreted.

"We do not conclude that there is any basis for thinking that anything happened to files that should not have happened to them, but identify that limitation in our review.

"Further, and with the same caveat, our review cannot be taken to have concluded one way or the other whether there was organised child abuse that has yet to be fully uncovered - indeed it is public knowledge that active police investigations examining allegations of historic child abuse are under way."

Prime Minister David Cameron said the report meant people "looking for conspiracy theories" would "have to look elsewhere".

But speaking to BBC Radio 4's PM, Peter Wanless said David Cameron was "wrong" to say his report proved there was no cover-up.

"He can only say that into the registered filing system of the Home Office.

"I think it's really important that no-one regards our piece of work as the beginning and end of all this," he said.

The Beeb? Reporting Dodgy Dave as being wrong? No wonder the Currant Bun was having a go at Ms May yesterday - their boy might be in a bit of trouble and they couldn't pin it on Mr Ed (for once!) Suffice to say, the Survivors are distinctly unimpressed and it has most definitely put 'clear blue water' between Dave and Teresa. Even Uncle Ruperts' putrid organs won't publicly condone Survivors being told they're conspiracists any more (changing the habit of over 30 years of complicity in this horrific mess by desperately manufacturing shiny squirrels - see Mazher Mahmood)

*Some of the truth has been worse than people might have imagined.

I'm afraid to say what has been reported in the MSM thus far is just the tip of the iceberg...if a small proportion of the accusations in Conspiracy-World are correct, the truth is going to get a whole lot worse.
I think I've intimated here before that I have some sort of regard for Theresa May despite her many failings. I can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be some core of - well, I don't know how to put it but I sense something about her that sets her apart from most of the rest of her party. I do remember that when the Savile revelations were first being aired in Parliament she seemed to be genuinely distressed.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Some great cartoons around today.

These are the Telegraph & the Times take on the EAW non-vote:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (216.73 KiB) Viewed 17928 times
Times.png
Times.png (245.98 KiB) Viewed 17928 times
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Oh...and Dapper Laughs (as I understand it, some discussion recently)...this piece from October is unequivocal...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lee-ker ... ostpopular

'Anyone who has seen the online videos of Dapper Laughs - real name Daniel O'Reilly - will be au fait with the misplaced pride in idiocy and the triumphant doltishness of this arch dunce. His act is a woeful, misogynistic celebration of banter-based cretinism that is sadly having a renaissance among the unenlightened, the confused, the intellectually frightened and the simpleton.'
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Here's a decent article by Mary Riddell on the plot that never was:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... iband.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Cameron's reaction to the Wanless report yesterday was just bizarre. Why on earth would he say something directly contridicting what his own minister had just said in the House? He can't possibly have thought that people would be taken in by it, so I can only assume that he hadn't actually read the report, and had no idea of the statement that Teresa May was going to make. He seems to be constantly suprised by what his own ministers are doing or saying these days, like he's not actually part of the decision making any more.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

LadyCentauria wrote:ONS say unemployment down to 6.0% or fall of 115,000 people.
I get quite confused with which measure is which - is this saying people registered as unemployed has fallen to 6%? (as opposed to the figures relating to the number in employment) How many have been 'de-registered' through the sanctions regime?

I wish I could find the link, but I read somewhere (apologies if it was on here) that the last rise in employment (of 130,000 jobs?) - something like 25% were female/temp/pt time and...around 100,000 were Management Consultants :toss:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I posted a comment in the Guardian yesterday where I suggested Theresa May's response to the Wanless Report was hopeful, but got drowned out by the "whitewash" avalanche. I stick by that assessment, though. Her first reaction was to ask more questions, which I found very positive. Cameron's reaction was worrying and then I started thinking about who it was that was posing with Lord Mayor Fiona Woolf in all those photos and it's not Theresa May, is it? Then you start wondering just whose idea it was to appoint Fiona Woolf to chair the child abuse inquiry in the first place. At the end of the day May is acting like someone who is taking their role seriously, as she has done throughout this government, whilst Cameron is acting like it's all a big game, the sole purpose of which is re-election for him and his chums. He really is a big liability of a PM and I really can't wait to see him gone.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Tish wrote:Here's a decent article by Mary Riddell on the plot that never was:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... iband.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Cameron's reaction to the Wanless report yesterday was just bizarre. Why on earth would he say something directly contridicting what his own minister had just said in the House? He can't possibly have thought that people would be taken in by it, so I can only assume that he hadn't actually read the report, and had no idea of the statement that Teresa May was going to make. He seems to be constantly suprised by what his own ministers are doing or saying these days, like he's not actually part of the decision making any more.
I really think he's of the opinion that if he says something it becomes true...and the reporting makes it sound as though his response was one of tetchy frustration...as in...'what do you think of (insert any topic)?' 'Why are you asking me that? Bow down in honour of my Ronsealed Fishpointing Greatness and then f*** off - I've got some chillaxing to do'.

Whatever - I think this is going to well and truly put the kybosh on the most popular thing about the Tories....what will they do now?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Great discussion. Cameron is either hopelessly ill-informed about what his ministers are doing, or completely desperate to stop the inquiry.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Lonewolfie wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:ONS say unemployment down to 6.0% or fall of 115,000 people.
I get quite confused with which measure is which - is this saying people registered as unemployed has fallen to 6%? (as opposed to the figures relating to the number in employment) How many have been 'de-registered' through the sanctions regime?

I wish I could find the link, but I read somewhere (apologies if it was on here) that the last rise in employment (of 130,000 jobs?) - something like 25% were female/temp/pt time and...around 100,000 were Management Consultants :toss:
Not quite. I was typing as fast as I could but the ONS chap was speaking very quickly so I missed the claimant count figure – which is how many people are claiming unemployment benefit, Also some figures are for the three months to September and others are not, which is why there are always corrected figures issued a few months after...

Here is the release from ONS: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labou ... stics.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning.

The Benyon article in the G http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ard-benyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? posted a couple days ago.

I've commented below the line, many are justifiably outraged but sifting through some diversion posts ("trolls") isn't a good use of my time.

That above was prior to below:

Ah. I've only now looked at the contributions on that thread from Ephemerid written about on this site earlier. I hadn't looked up the posts until just now. The unhappy chicken reborn.

Well said, Ephemerid. Your time was well spent there.
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 12 Nov, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lonewolfie wrote:

6% (1.96m) is overall unemployed actively seeking work (from Labour Force Survey). Those claiming JSA has fallen by 20,000 to 0.93m:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labou ... stics.html

There's a good graph from the ONS showing longer term trends which shows that the biggest falls in unemployment are coming from the under 6 months unemployed category. Long term unemployment has fallen much more slowly suggesting all the money thrown at workfare etc hasn't been very effective, but then I don't suppose that will come as a surprise to anyone here:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/elmr/gdp- ... -2014.html
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope · 9m9 minutes ago
Angry Conservative right-wing MPs demand face-to-face apology next week from David Cameron over EAW farce. By me: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... meron.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good - I though the press had forgot about this :x

Morning all
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Willow904 wrote:

I posted a comment in the Guardian yesterday where I suggested Theresa May's response to the Wanless Report was hopeful, but got drowned out by the "whitewash" avalanche. I stick by that assessment, though. Her first reaction was to ask more questions, which I found very positive. Cameron's reaction was worrying and then I started thinking about who it was that was posing with Lord Mayor Fiona Woolf in all those photos and it's not Theresa May, is it? Then you start wondering just whose idea it was to appoint Fiona Woolf to chair the child abuse inquiry in the first place. At the end of the day May is acting like someone who is taking their role seriously, as she has done throughout this government, whilst Cameron is acting like it's all a big game, the sole purpose of which is re-election for him and his chums. He really is a big liability of a PM and I really can't wait to see him gone.
I think this is very much the story - there's a huge amount going on behind the scenes and the Met turned parts of their investigations into a murder enquiry in January (http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5174/ ... x9.twitter) - Wanless (who has some unfortunate connections to a rather smelly rumour surrounding Portaloo, Ivor (little list) Lilley and Justin Fashanu (won't link, as still in ConspiracyWorld, not MSM)) seems to have written a report that allows more avenues of investigation to open up...and the Panel/Inquiry seems to actually be starting to operate, however fitfully. Whatever - the genie is out of the bottle and Dodgy Dave and (what remains of) his supporters are still desperately trying to find somewhere to hide the bottletop.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From the ONS link - this isn't new news to me - it's important to note - I mean that the latest update is a similar trend from previous ONS data during the last year.

22.2% of people aged 16-64 aren't in the labour force.
Over 9 million people aged 16-64 not in the labour force.
Not employed, not looking for work, for an assortment of reasons.
38,000 more people rise looking at the quarter but down a bit on the year.

The average wage now, £455, excluding bonuses, is an average not median. Frankly, that makes the number almost useless given the disparities of wage income in the areas included in the ONS data.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

6% Unemployment rate? Someone want to tell Carney and the BoE? Is it time for this again?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publicat ... 3/096.aspx

Something to happen when unemployment reaches 7% - surely the 'knockout' must be point 3 - I'm expecting an announcement any time (where's the 'tumbleweed' emoticon :lol: )

'The guidance linking Bank Rate and asset sales to the unemployment threshold would cease to hold if any of the following three ‘knockouts’ were breached:

· in the MPC’s view, it is more likely than not, that CPI inflation 18 to 24 months ahead will be 0.5 percentage points or more above the 2% target;

· medium-term inflation expectations no longer remain sufficiently well anchored;

· the Financial Policy Committee (FPC) judges that the stance of monetary policy poses a significant threat to financial stability that cannot be contained by the substantial range of mitigating policy actions available to the FPC, the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority in a way consistent with their objectives.'
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Philae lander has made contact with telemetry and link signal, roughly two hours into its drop after release from Rosetta craft! Four hours until next crucial moment :dance:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Very convenient there is no PMQs today, innit?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:And today's Labour-bashing story in the guardian?

The news that PwC have provided people on secondment to help with formulating tax policies. Like happens with all parties.

As I pointed out the chap who runs the Office for Tax Simplification at the Treasury came from...PwC.

I've just noticed...who do you think the guardian Media group's auditors are?

I've just posted:
've read this paper for 30 years but it's turning into a Labour-bashing piece of shit.
Bet that won't last long.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Lonewolfie wrote:6% Unemployment rate? Someone want to tell Carney and the BoE? Is it time for this again?

Something to happen when unemployment reaches 7% - surely the 'knockout' must be point 3 - I'm expecting an announcement any time (where's the 'tumbleweed' emoticon :lol: )

'The guidance linking Bank Rate and asset sales to the unemployment threshold would cease to hold if any of the following three ‘knockouts’ were breached:

· in the MPC’s view, it is more likely than not, that CPI inflation 18 to 24 months ahead will be 0.5 percentage points or more above the 2% target;

· medium-term inflation expectations no longer remain sufficiently well anchored;

· the Financial Policy Committee (FPC) judges that the stance of monetary policy poses a significant threat to financial stability that cannot be contained by the substantial range of mitigating policy actions available to the FPC, the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority in a way consistent with their objectives.'
Good point. With such goods news on the employment front and GDP regaining pre-bust levels and climbing, why is the BofE maintaining an emergency level base rate? People seem to have forgotten that the 0.5% was an emergency measure. The European central bank recently slashed its rates to 0.15%, but then Germany's growth has slowed and the Eurozone is looking to head off a triple-dip recession. What problems are we trying to head off with our low rate? I've asked this question so many times, but I'll ask it again in hope - can the government really prop up artificially high property prices indefinitely or do we have to have a proper bust before we can have a proper recovery, because as far as I can tell the property market never genuinely bottomed out, not like it did in the 1990s?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

In other news, and thinking of the unemployment, claimant count, etc., figs released today; I know of a cafe/shop/gallery/social-space which now has its licences and is opening soon in London W1. The premises are fully accessible (in the strictest sense) and so they are welcoming applications for all positions, all of which are open to applicants on a truly equal ops basis. As they said, in their letter to me (I am a Kickstarter backer and long-time supporter) "you could be the first wheelchair-using barista in the country." (I might not be able to spell that word!) So, if you're interested in working for a very open-minded (and open-hearted) company just drop me a pm and I'll pass on the contact details.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils.

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:And today's Labour-bashing story in the guardian?

I've just noticed...who do you think the guardian Media group's auditors are?

I've just posted:
've read this paper for 30 years but it's turning into a Labour-bashing piece of shit.
Bet that won't last long.
I was right...it didn't.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Very convenient there is no PMQs today, innit?
I may be wrong, but aren't there more recesses, priest-holes, arras (es?), alcoves etc under this government than is customary?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Willow904 wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:6% Unemployment rate? Someone want to tell Carney and the BoE? Is it time for this again?

Good point. With such goods news on the employment front and GDP regaining pre-bust levels and climbing, why is the BofE maintaining an emergency level base rate? People seem to have forgotten that the 0.5% was an emergency measure. The European central bank recently slashed its rates to 0.15%, but then Germany's growth has slowed and the Eurozone is looking to head off a triple-dip recession. What problems are we trying to head off with our low rate? I've asked this question so many times, but I'll ask it again in hope - can the government really prop up artificially high property prices indefinitely or do we have to have a proper bust before we can have a proper recovery, because as far as I can tell the property market never genuinely bottomed out, not like it did in the 1990s?
Good questions and I don't know the answer – but would guess at 'probably.' Prices of the former RTB properties on this small estate are considerably higher than they were just before the crash/bubble-deflation and still rising at a ridiculous rate. It is highly 'des-res' and not many come on the market each year – ranging from 1-4 bedrooms, as they do, that means that the ideally-sized place comes on the market even less frequently.

When the crash of the 90s happened prices, positively nose-dived. This time, they dipped a bit but soon started climbing again.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Low interest rates act to falsely bolster asset values in other areas of investment. That's what QE is for - to make bond investment unattractive and help channel investment capital into other markets. Without low interest rates and QE we would have seen considerable turmoil in all markets.

Also worth remembering that the response to the 11/9 attacks in America was an emergency cutting of interest rates. We have had them low ever since because the underlying economy is a bubble one and there is nothing except bubbles worth 'investing' in. Getting on for fifteen years of 'emergency' low interest rates is not a sign of healthy capitalism. It is a sign of rigged markets being managed to protect inflated wealth values, held by rich individuals and corporations.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m1 minute ago
The worst poll for LAB from any pollster. Ipsos-MORI
CON 32 (+2); LAB 29 (-4); LIB DEM 9 (+1); UKIP 14 (-2)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m1 minute ago
The worst poll for LAB from any pollster. Ipsos-MORI
CON 32 (+2); LAB 29 (-4); LIB DEM 9 (+1); UKIP 14 (-2)
Since 2010
roger scully ‏@roger_scully 2m2 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB Any details on the 16% 'Others' yet, Mike?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Wonder why.

Surely nothing to do with a non-plot being covered wall to wall, while a Chancellor lies about saving the country £850m or the PM lies about a vote.

I give up.

This is outrageous, this war on Ed Miliband.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. unemployment figures etc.

The latest DWP press release on claimant numbers, sanctions etc. is out today.

As in 2010, there remain just over 5 million people of working age claiming out-of-work benefits.
The JSA claimant count may be going down, but the ESA count isn't. More people are claiming Income Support than before.

Since the new regime for sanctions came in in Oct.2012 for JSA and Dec.2012 for ESA, more than 3 million people have been referred for sanction.
Just over half of them got a disallowance - 40,000-plus ESA WRAG claimants - with 190,000 people having the sanction reversed on appeal.
More than half the claimants who did get a disallowance got a low-level sanction - ie. 4 weeks to 12 weeks.
Of the rest, 8% ie, about 12,000 people, got a high-level sanction - 26 weeks to 156 weeks.

Unless the claims of these people remain live on the system, they are no longer claimants. There is no way anyone could know what they're doing.
I suspect that at least some of these people are not showing up in the claimant counts for the duration of their sanctions.

The ONS Labour Force Survey is very good - but even that has limitations. They survey a lot of people repeatedly, and because of that they cannot keep tabs on people who get evicted or whatever; whilst I expect that some of the sanctioned people will be counted as unemployed under the ONS definitions, some of them may also be considered economically inactive.
There's no perfect way to collect figures on this accurately - but as is the case in so many other ways, whatever the government has to say on this should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

When you look at ALL the people of working age who claim DWP benefits, the numbers have not changed since 2010.
I daresay people are moving between benefits or some coming into income support entitlement if their wages haven't kept pace.
Whatever - the overall picture is that there are as many people claiming out-of-work benefits now as there were in 2010.

Add to that the fact that the numbers of working people claiming Housing Benefit has doubled in 4 years, and the number claiming various tax credits has increased too, what seems to be happening is that the numbers of people in work is rising at a similar rate to population numbers -so what I think is this: THERE'S NO IMPROVEMENT.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Here's the Ipsos Mori page, detailing the data without the tedious spin that will undoubtedly be applied by political & non-political commentators:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpubl ... ction.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a bloody poor poll for Labour though but hardly unexpected given the onslaught Ed M has had over the last few weeks. The worry must be though that the MSM can still affect the outcome of the GE & that poor polling leads to more grumbling, more discontent amongst members - on & on the circle turns :(