Wednesday 12th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 12th November 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is the Blairite group Progress plotting to back Chuka Umunna in a leadership bid?
Pressure group plot.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ership-bid
Beyond pathetic - and even reads as tired, curling up at the edges - from the New Statesman again.

Has prompted this from John Woodcock MP.
John Woodcock ‏@JWoodcockMP 41m41 minutes ago
#QTWTAIN
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ership-bid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Unhelpful if people accusing others of cowardly inaccurate briefing engage in cowardly inaccurate briefing
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just a reminder...the Panorama about the fake Sheikh is just about to start on BBC1
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:And the first picture has now come in from the comet itself ......

Grim - didn't have you down as an anthropologist. Still, my people are very photogenic ...
Any truth in the rumour that today's events have seen the Soup Dragon form UKlanger?
The Soup Dragon declines to comment. The Iron Chicken on the other hand ... there's no stopping her.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
10 tangible changes Ed Miliband could make today to kickstart his leadership
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/10-tangib ... eadership/
Have to hand it to Ferguson. These are good, practical suggestions. He's thought about things and is being properly constructive.
I agree with you. However, aside from
Do more regional and consumer media which people actually read. On a similar note to the point about speeches, the lobby is not the be all and end all. People read their local papers, so when you’re getting out of Westminster more often (see point 2) make sure you talk to their local media. They’ll be chuffed, and people who you need to vote Labour in key seats will hear what you have to say.
and maybe this one
Raise the morale of the base – It’s not just Labour MPs who are feeling down at present, it’s Labour activists and members too. There isn’t the swaggering confidence you’d hope for six months before the election, because those activists know better than anyone the challenge we face.
the remaining items on the list are things Labour & the party leader are already doing, have control over or require attention, in my opinion. Please look at the list, all extremely good suggestions for those seeking political office election. I can't see how Labour & or Miliband can or need to do more than what's already in the works.

I don't need to be right, I want to be better informed. Please let me know what I'm missing; thank you.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Grim - didn't have you down as an anthropologist. Still, my people are very photogenic ...
Any truth in the rumour that today's events have seen the Soup Dragon form UKlanger?
The Soup Dragon declines to comment. The Iron Chicken on the other hand ... there's no stopping her.
Nuff said.
Attachments
UKlanger.jpg
UKlanger.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 9070 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

clangers money tree.png
clangers money tree.png (231.76 KiB) Viewed 9045 times
one for the trolls at the Graun to harp on and on about - clangtopia
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

[youtube]Wf7a53y9RRM[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For those interested it is Carers UK AGM tomorrow from 10am.It used to be attended by The Minister for the Disabled,but tomorrow its Anne McQuire and Burstow at about 2.15PM.
You can follow and ask questions here:one of mine previously was to Miller about " scrounger rhetoric",her response was the reforms were to "restore the integrity" of the benefit system.

http://www.carersworldradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:[youtube]Wf7a53y9RRM[/youtube]
4 bus stops from my house.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well. That Panorama.

What a lovely bunch of papers that Mahzer Mahmood has worked for...

I hope some of the people whose lives have been utterly thwacked off course by these activities will be able to take some comfort from what is starting to be revealed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Heh.

Comedian to retire controversial ‘Katie Hopkins’ character

http://newsthump.com/2014/11/12/comedia ... character/
Often described as “the poor man’s James Delingpole”, the “Katie Hopkins” persona developed into a female parody of the Telegraph blogger and professional troll over several years, working as a contrarian-for-hire and tabloid columnist.

She later described herself as a “conduit for truth”.

“I wanted to create a celebrity with no redeeming features whatsoever,” Spatchcock told Emily Maitlis, her eyes moist with tears.

“I pretended to be someone so horrible that nobody could possibly believe she was a real person. I didn’t think anyone would take it seriously. How could they?”
:D
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Man who applied for 60 jobs while protesting at DWP policy sanctioned
Blogpost by copywriter Peter Styles, who was forced to sign on daily, attracts widespread support after detailing the dispute

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... sanctioned

:wall: :wall: :wall: How much more of this will people be able to take?

And this from BTL:
Carolan99
12 November 2014 4:49pm

When I was unemployed I had a particularly nasty jobcentre advisor who I swear took great pleasure in sanctioning people. Maybe she got a bonus? When it happened to me I just cried. I had just swapped my home and moved 30 miles away, my son was half way through his last year of primary school and was devastated. I did it just to find work and I was told I hadn't done enough, despite fulfilling my jobseekers agreement, trying to deal with a mouse problem in my home, my son getting bullied at his new school, being totally skint and not to mention the guilt I felt over turning my son's life upside down. I hadnt' done enough.
After all that upheaval I couldn't even get an interview in poundland, I have now forced myself to be self-employed. Still skint, but unemployment figures down a bit.
If I met Ian Duncan Smith tomorrow I would give him a kick in the nuts. Nasty Bast*rd

We happen to both have no conditionality to seek work.Received a letter from.the DWP today stating I might have to attend a work focused interview,which has never been mentioned previously.I'm presuming it's just a case of a generic letter which has changed ,but revealing of the default position ,regardless of circumstance.

All claimants who have caring responsibilities and are recipients of Carers Allowance and/or Income Support are now subject to jobcentre interviews aimed at "preparation for a return to the workplace". It's going on quietly, under the radar so far - but I and others have been posting this for some time.

IS and CA are among the social security payments which are part of Universal Credit. All UC claims will have jobsearch conditionality.
The guidance that has been published so far indicates that CA claimants will be assessed to see if their responsibilities are actually full time, and if they could consider some work or training; and IS claimants (most commonly lone parents) will be doing this when their youngest child is just one year old, and at present they have to do this when that child is three years old.

It's my view that this is all part of the "softening up process" to get claimants into the mindset that whatever their circumstances or responsibilities, they will be expected to do something to "earn" their social security payments.

If Universal Credit ever comes in properly, or even if it doesn't, and/or if the Tories get in next time, we can expect the conditions for claiming any state support at all to become even more draconian than they are now.

Bit by bit, the support that people need is being taken away - or subjected to such ridiculous rules and sanctions that a lot of people will have such a battle to prove their entitlement that they'll simply give up.

I have had - like the chap in the article linked to - trouble with my payments. I am owed a lot from last year, and a few missing payments this year. My claim has been administered clerically for some time, so whenever I phone up for information the operator cannot access my claim on the system and I have to wait for the call back that never comes. Claimants do not have access to the phone numbers for the Benefit Delivery Centres, and the jobcentres will not deal with Support Group ESA claimants.
I have caused a few staff members problems in the past, what with one thing or another - but I don't think in my case this is vindictive; there are quite a few experts/bloggers who think that because so much resource is being put into UC and the new systems/benefits that the old ones are not being maintained properly. There are a lot of people having the same problem with "clerical" claims.

I was accused of violent behaviour in Hereford Jobcentre 2 years ago. I wasn't actually there at the time.
I had become exasperated on the phone (at home) trying to sort out an appeal or something; I swore, apologised, and the operator was very understanding. It later transpired that her supervisor was listening in and decided to raise this as a violent incident.
Because I have a HR postcode, this dipstick wrote to Hereford Jobcentre who were, apparently, my "local office" (er, no, it's Brecon) and they assumed I'd perpetrated the offence in their offices. I got a very nasty threatening letter, with an admonition that should I indulge in violent behaviour again I would face prosecution and possible imprisonment.
Obviously, I complained. The response was that just because "it" hadn't happened where they said it had didn't mean it hadn't happened at all. They said they had the "evidence" on tape. When I pointed out that my conversation had been listened to without my knowledge, and that as they had the tape the least they could do is send me a copy, it couldn't be found.
In other words, they had no evidence that I'd said or done anything at all - they apologised eventually, but I had to go to the regional management to extract that apology. I still have no idea if my claim is flagged up as "violent".

DWP is a department completely out of control. Some of the staff are OK but very unhappy; a lot of them have become monsters.

IDS and his henchmen have created an atmosphere of suspicion, frustration, and sheer bloody terror for some. If I didn't have Show to look after me, I have no idea where I'd be or how I'd cope.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://schoolsimprovement.net/maths-tes ... and-flawed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government has announced plans to introduce a baseline assessment for children at the beginning of Reception year.

But the Association for the Teachers of Mathematics and the Mathematics Association have jointly written to Ms Morgan to say that the results will be “meaningless”.

“Reception children will be of significantly different ages when assessed: proportionally, comparing the scores of a four-year-old with a five-year-old is akin to comparing those of a 12-year-old with a 15-year-old, which is obviously nonsense,” they said.

A score obtained from a one-off test would not reveal anything useful, they added, but would put pressure on students and schools and risk labelling children.

The cost of introducing the new assessment would be better spent on funding mathematical professional development for those working with young children, they continued…
Always more money for this sort of thing.

Reckon Nick Gibb would get the Secretary of State job beyond Election.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ephemerid wrote...
All claimants who have caring responsibilities and are recipients of Carers Allowance and/or Income Support are now subject to jobcentre interviews aimed at "preparation for a return to the workplace".
& before I read the remainder of Ephemerid's post, I must write this new condition foisted upon those carers receiving Carers Allowance is totally insane. If I were in receipt of Carers Allowance, I'd have to stop claiming it. Who else is going to care for the person I'm caring for?

Oh. I see. That's the point. How much does Carers Allowance cost the nation? I really don't need an answer because I already know it's not much for what carers do.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
:wall: :wall: :wall: How much more of this will people be able to take?

And this from BTL:

We happen to both have no conditionality to seek work.Received a letter from.the DWP today stating I might have to attend a work focused interview,which has never been mentioned previously.I'm presuming it's just a case of a generic letter which has changed ,but revealing of the default position ,regardless of circumstance.

All claimants who have caring responsibilities and are recipients of Carers Allowance and/or Income Support are now subject to jobcentre interviews aimed at "preparation for a return to the workplace". It's going on quietly, under the radar so far - but I and others have been posting this for some time.

IS and CA are among the social security payments which are part of Universal Credit. All UC claims will have jobsearch conditionality.
The guidance that has been published so far indicates that CA claimants will be assessed to see if their responsibilities are actually full time, and if they could consider some work or training; and IS claimants (most commonly lone parents) will be doing this when their youngest child is just one year old, and at present they have to do this when that child is three years old.

It's my view that this is all part of the "softening up process" to get claimants into the mindset that whatever their circumstances or responsibilities, they will be expected to do something to "earn" their social security payments.

If Universal Credit ever comes in properly, or even if it doesn't, and/or if the Tories get in next time, we can expect the conditions for claiming any state support at all to become even more draconian than they are now.

Bit by bit, the support that people need is being taken away - or subjected to such ridiculous rules and sanctions that a lot of people will have such a battle to prove their entitlement that they'll simply give up.

I have had - like the chap in the article linked to - trouble with my payments. I am owed a lot from last year, and a few missing payments this year. My claim has been administered clerically for some time, so whenever I phone up for information the operator cannot access my claim on the system and I have to wait for the call back that never comes. Claimants do not have access to the phone numbers for the Benefit Delivery Centres, and the jobcentres will not deal with Support Group ESA claimants.
I have caused a few staff members problems in the past, what with one thing or another - but I don't think in my case this is vindictive; there are quite a few experts/bloggers who think that because so much resource is being put into UC and the new systems/benefits that the old ones are not being maintained properly. There are a lot of people having the same problem with "clerical" claims.

I was accused of violent behaviour in Hereford Jobcentre 2 years ago. I wasn't actually there at the time.
I had become exasperated on the phone (at home) trying to sort out an appeal or something; I swore, apologised, and the operator was very understanding. It later transpired that her supervisor was listening in and decided to raise this as a violent incident.
Because I have a HR postcode, this dipstick wrote to Hereford Jobcentre who were, apparently, my "local office" (er, no, it's Brecon) and they assumed I'd perpetrated the offence in their offices. I got a very nasty threatening letter, with an admonition that should I indulge in violent behaviour again I would face prosecution and possible imprisonment.
Obviously, I complained. The response was that just because "it" hadn't happened where they said it had didn't mean it hadn't happened at all. They said they had the "evidence" on tape. When I pointed out that my conversation had been listened to without my knowledge, and that as they had the tape the least they could do is send me a copy, it couldn't be found.
In other words, they had no evidence that I'd said or done anything at all - they apologised eventually, but I had to go to the regional management to extract that apology. I still have no idea if my claim is flagged up as "violent".

DWP is a department completely out of control. Some of the staff are OK but very unhappy; a lot of them have become monsters.

IDS and his henchmen have created an atmosphere of suspicion, frustration, and sheer bloody terror for some. If I didn't have Show to look after me, I have no idea where I'd be or how I'd cope.

To be clear,I haven't been asked ,the claim is under my better half's name -"your partner may be asked and will be informed if so".

We had this nonsense on initial (unsuccessful)application for CA-I had to take time off work to attend it.It was stopped shortly afterwards-about ten years ago.

It was definitely perturbing.I have no conditionality to seek work,none,zero.I may 'phone tomorrow to clarify.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ephemerid - I'm sorry. I'm beside myself. This is not okay. Too much is not okay.

Love,

JA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tangled knot factor defying all reason.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... sus-tories
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

- Yeats
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ooh, now this could be very interesting...the HT was one of Gove's star pupils and there was a puff piece in the DT about Durand's new boarding school in the country the other day.

Investigation into the Education Funding Agency’s oversight of related party transactions at Durand Academy

http://www.nao.org.uk/work-in-progress/ ... d-academy/

Widely thought that the EFA simply can't cope with the number of academy trusts/academies it has now - the Edu Select Committee weren't that impressed with its boss.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:And the first picture has now come in from the comet itself ......
And now we have this one from final approach, although you will have to click through as I cannae mind how to turn html embed codes into this/what/BB: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zaffiroea ... 771972331/
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

citizenJA wrote:Tangled knot factor defying all reason.

- Yeats
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards the House Of Commons Bar to be born?

- Not Yeats
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:

- Yeats

- Not Yeats
Not even Eddie Yeats?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin · 5h5 hours ago
Once upon a time it was said Front Benchers "don't sign EDMs". These days, Ed Miliband's writing them. #Firefighters http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2014-15/454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PUBLIC SERVICE PENSIONS
Session: 2014-15
Date tabled: 30.10.2014
Primary sponsor: Miliband, Edward
Sponsors: Benn, Hilary
Brown, Lyn
McDonnell, John
Lavery, Ian
Cryer, John

That an humble Address be presented to Her Majesty, praying that the Firefighters' Pension Scheme (England) Regulations 2014 (S.I., 2014, No. 2848), dated 23 October 2014, a copy of which was laid before this House on 28 October, be annulled.
Leading from the front. Again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Spacedone wrote:

- Yeats

- Not Yeats
Brilliant.

When certain chords are struck in me, my mind recalls some poems/prose I've read &/or heard from Whitman, Yeats, Rumi, Lao Tzu & Dr. Suess - these & more.

Cameron's CBI speech begins with him reminding those present they drank together at different times.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

& sold fighter planes & kept Centrica alive - that's CallMe's contribution to the global community.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... -full.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:& sold fighter planes & kept Centrica alive - that's CallMe's contribution to the global community.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... -full.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just Centrica. Despite all Shiny Dave's (supposed) PR expertise neither BAe Systems nor Eurofighter have landed any substantial deals since the Coalition took office; it has even been argued that his supercilious attitude, and the British Government's defence cuts, undermined the Typhoon bid to the Indian Air Force, a deal many thought to be a shoo in. The man is less use than the proverbial chocolate teapot.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ooh, now this could be very interesting...the HT was one of Gove's star pupils and there was a puff piece in the DT about Durand's new boarding school in the country the other day.

Investigation into the Education Funding Agency’s oversight of related party transactions at Durand Academy

http://www.nao.org.uk/work-in-progress/ ... d-academy/

Widely thought that the EFA simply can't cope with the number of academy trusts/academies it has now - the Edu Select Committee weren't that impressed with its boss.
Yep.

Wasn't there a politician particularly associated with this project?

Wonder if this could be a major scandal?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
citizenJA wrote:& sold fighter planes & kept Centrica alive - that's CallMe's contribution to the global community.

Just Centrica. Despite all Shiny Dave's (supposed) PR expertise neither BAe Systems nor Eurofighter have landed any substantial deals since the Coalition took office; it has even been argued that his supercilious attitude, and the British Government's defence cuts, undermined the Typhoon bid to the Indian Air Force, a deal many thought to be a shoo in. The man is less use than the proverbial chocolate teapot.
The man just lies; he can't do anything but lie. It's my understanding the CBI crowd's response to Dave's speech was tepid.

I've only today juxtaposed Miliband's CBI speech

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1022761 ... to-the-cbi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to Dave's. I understand the crowd's reaction.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

diGriz wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
diGriz wrote: People are stupid. Don't expect to much from them.
I was thinking more of "opinion formers" than the general public - but yeah, that is probably a tad optimistic as well :twisted:

But what the hell, without a bit of hope what's the point? The truth has a habit of outing eventually, even if some try to hide it.......
Nothing wrong with a bit of hope.
Not as long as it's just north of Peterborough ;-)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

The man just lies; he can't do anything but lie. It's my understanding the CBI crowd's response to Dave's speech was tepid.

I've only today juxtaposed Miliband's CBI speech

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1022761 ... to-the-cbi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to Dave's. I understand the crowd's reaction.
Might also help to explain the gradual ticking up of the polls too!
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects · 8m8 minutes ago
National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-)
GRN - 6% (-)
It is a basic Tory mantra that Labour are not the party of business, and it hasn't been true for many a year. My fervent hope now is that it be the party that helps business to help the rest of us, not to help itself to everything in sight.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Might also help to explain the gradual ticking up of the polls too!
LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-)
GRN - 6% (-)
It is a basic Tory mantra that Labour are not the party of business, and it hasn't been true for many a year. My fervent hope now is that it be the party that helps business to help the rest of us, not to help itself to everything in sight.
Place you bets now on the Guardian splashing this poll all over their website. No doubt they'll be back to their "we only report polls that we commission" line of bull.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Spacedone wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Might also help to explain the gradual ticking up of the polls too!
LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-)
GRN - 6% (-)
Place you bets now on the Guardian splashing this poll all over their website. No doubt they'll be back to their "we only report polls that we commission" line of bull.
I managed to post it below the line.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

g'night, my friends, sleep well
love
JA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 17m17 minutes ago
Miliband speech will be followed by ‘interventions’ from Ed Balls, Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna and Tristram Hunt http://specc.ie/1tINyzV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott ‏@edacuk 16m16 minutes ago
@isabelhardman And will these interventions be helpful to Ed, or their respective leadership bids?
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Isabel Hardman
‏@IsabelHardman
@edacuk they've been planned by Miliband's office, so they'll be helpful
I wish I felt more positive and optimistic about what I might hear when I see those 4 names .... but I don't. They might not actively want to mess it up for Ed ... but that's the effect they may well have unless they up their game considerably.