Thursday 13th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 13th November 2014

Post by yahyah »

Am wondering about complaining to IPSO about the misleading Telegraph headline '' 'Paranoid' Miliband.'' which seems to be in contravention of their guideline- Clause 1 Accuracy i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Cameron’s hopes of election boost are dashed as 80% say recovery not working
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 58273.html
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Latest bit of good news for the government is that - according to Radio 4 just now - their plans to recruit more reservists to replace regular army personnel still aren't on target .... nowhere near in fact.

Haven't found a media report to link to yet. Anyone?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Already mentioned
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 13 Nov, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott @johnprescott · 10m 10 minutes ago
“@ToryChairman: PHOTO: Miliband heads for the exit | @MrSteerpike" < At least he could find one. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #bennyhill
Thank you JP.

I had forgotten just how delicious that video of Michael Crick stalking Shapps through the corridors is.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just dropped into my inbox:
People sometimes say that they don't know what we — what I — stand for, so I'll put this in the simplest terms I can. This country is too unequal, and we need to change it.

So here are the promises I'm making to you about the kind of Britain I will lead:

First, I will undo the damage the Tories have done to our country:

I will scrap the Bedroom Tax, which unfairly punishes the disabled and the vulnerable
I will scrap the Health and Social Care Act, which damages and undermines our NHS
I will scrap the gagging law, which limits our freedom of speech and right to campaign
I will reverse the Tories' £3bn tax cut for millionaires, so we get the deficit down but do it fairly

Second, I will take on the powerful vested interests that hold millions back:

I will force energy companies to freeze gas and electricity bills until 2017
I will give power back to those who rent their homes, by scrapping letting fees and stabilising tenancy agreements
I will raise money from tobacco companies, tax avoiders, and a mansion tax to fund doctors, nurses, careworkers and midwives for our NHS
I will reform our banks so that they properly support small businesses
I will stop recruitment agencies hiring only from abroad

Third, I will start to rebuild a fairer, better Britain:

I will raise the minimum wage, to ensure that everyone that does a hard day's work is properly rewarded
I will promote the living wage by giving tax breaks to companies that pay it
I will ban the damaging zero-hours contracts that exploit British workers
I will bring in a lower 10p income tax rate, cutting taxes for 24 million workers
I will support working parents with 25 hours of free childcare for three- and four-year-olds
I will help more young people get on the housing ladder by getting 200,000 homes built every year

Thank you.

- Ed
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

John Prescott @johnprescott · 2h 2 hours ago

Give her a medal! Labour supporter tells off reporters at Miliband event for not being balanced " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #6monthstowin
:fight:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 20h20 hours ago
LAB lead up to 3% in tonight's YouGov/Sun poll
CON 32%
LAB 35%
LD 7%
UKIP 15%
GRN 6

Genuine question. Why isn't the Green vote making headway?

Edited for adjustment. It's puzzling. Shouldn't they be scooping up disaffected LibDems if not others?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 13 Nov, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 6h 6 hours ago
Credit to Ed Mili, he took Qs from every newspaper - hostile and friendly - and dismissed Andy Burnham's media conspiracies. Progress.

How do you make Britain love a geek in just 6 months Ed? "That's quite a good line," Mili replies.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
John Prescott @johnprescott · 2h 2 hours ago

Give her a medal! Labour supporter tells off reporters at Miliband event for not being balanced " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #6monthstowin
:fight:
[youtube]0SGCZNmJY9k[/youtube]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Latest bit of good news for the government is that - according to Radio 4 just now - their plans to recruit more reservists to replace regular army personnel still aren't on target .... nowhere near in fact.

Haven't found a media report to link to yet. Anyone?
I think it could be longer than a year ago I read that they were well below anticipated figures..It was probably in the Guardian as I read it regularly then.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:Heard an ad for a programme on Radio 4 that said Labour's front bench had been critical of Ed's leadership last week, words implied all of Labour's front bench.

I admit I was a bit distracted last week but don't think that was true ?

But have I got the energy to make another complaint to the BBC for them to ignore ?
I was in the car when I heard that. So many people still rely on them for their news. It's the equivalent of brainwashing.

Once upon a time I'd have defended the Beeb to the death. But not any more.
I have my alarm clock set to FiveLive and when it went off this morning the first thing I heard was some random lady they'd stopped in the street yesterday and ask about her thought on Miliband. Her reply was something like "I wish he would act like he was human." Switch back to the studio and two BBC FiveLive presenters having a good old laugh and one of them quipping "Oh dear *chuckle* she doesn't even think he's human *guffaw* I hope we haven't ruin Ed Miliband's morning *snigger*"

Probably not the best of starts to the day, me shouting "OH F*** OFF!" at 6am and disturbing the neighbours.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Credit to Ed Mili, he took Qs from every newspaper - hostile and friendly - and dismissed Andy Burnham's media conspiracies. Progress.

How do you make Britain love a geek in just 6 months Ed? "That's quite a good line," Mili replies.
He should have answered: Easy peasy. Just get the right wing press lie machine cranked up.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ephemerid wrote:More fun on Universal Credit.

DWP has decided to cut payments to claimants if they get into arrears thus -
If someone on UC has problems paying their landlords directly, DWP can arrange to have the housing element of UC paid direct to the landlord.
Until now, if the person was in arrears with their rent, DWP guidance said that 5% of the remaining UC after rent could be diverted before the claimant gets it and sent directly to the landlord to "help" the claimant reduce their arrears.
Now, they have decided that they will take between 10% and 20% of the remainder of the UC - this, apparently, is to ensure that claimants get "back on track" with their rent arrears faster. The claimant, obviously, has no choice.

So - what next? What if they don't like the look of what the claimants' bank statements say about how they spend their UC? Will they "ensure" they only spend it on the correct things? What if someone spends a fiver on the bingo?

FFS.
I thought they were going to pay all the rent in the case of arrears. Wasn't it in the Portes or Channel 4 programme?
They will pay the rent itself directly. The change, from a former maximum of 5% to between 10 and 20%, is in the amount they will automatically deduct from the other elements of UC towards paying off the arrears that had been run up.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

He should have answered: Easy peasy. Just get the right wing press lie machine cranked up.
So The Sun are going for the "He's brainy and therefore not to be trusted" route? I can hear the knuckles being dragged from here.
Last edited by Spacedone on Thu 13 Nov, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

A question many have been wanting an answer to:
Attachments
EM on WCA.png
EM on WCA.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 13242 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Gail ‏@CharlieWoof81 22h22 hours ago
If you're helping with the new campaign tomorrow please only tweet one hashtag - #6monthstowin if you tweet more than one neither will trend
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Hoist with their own petard methinks... :o
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Oh, spotted this late last night but forgot to mention it:
Most users ever online was 222 on Fri 07 Nov, 2014 3:46 pm
Our new record. It would be very interesting to know where they all came from – but I think we can guess what led to such an influx of guests, in general terms ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Boris Johnson's development deals for the Royal Docks under serious investigative attack on Channel 4 news.

Crick has him fumbling to answer questions.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain's richest MP’s family firm pulls out of property deal that left families fearing eviction
Nov 13, 2014 18:49 By Nick Sommerlad
It comes after nearly 100,000 people signed an online petition calling on the Benyons to keep rents on the New Era Estate affordable

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/br ... rm-4624803
So. Thanks to social media we are at last being heard...There are some who still don't get it, but this is a start.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, my friends
love
JA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Thinking about Social Media [as you do] I suddenly felt all warm and fuzzy because I realised that all those old boy network jobs and deals that have gone on underneath our noses since time immemorial are, finally, thanks to the likes of Twitter no longer secret.
Now the whole world gets to know about it and can actually influence outcomes. We still have a way to go, and sometimes I miss the old days but by golly this is one change I'm glad to see.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 13 Nov, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night JA
ohsocynical wrote:
Britain's richest MP’s family firm pulls out of property deal that left families fearing eviction
Nov 13, 2014 18:49 By Nick Sommerlad
It comes after nearly 100,000 people signed an online petition calling on the Benyons to keep rents on the New Era Estate affordable

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/br ... rm-4624803
So. Thanks to social media we are at last being heard...There are some who still don't get it, but this is a start.
Great news. There have been a lot of people sneering about the effectiveness of social media; I think this, and the #webackEd (which, as Henry Manson suggested on Politicalbetting, undoubtedly helped to steady the ship), proves them wrong. The game is changing, the Establishment and the MSM no longer entirely control the message .... and not before time. :rock:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Night JA.

This evening's steaming pile of horse manure courtesy of Steerpike.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -on-hacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Cathy Newman has just absolutely torn Farage to shreds on C4 News over his views on working mothers, the man looked like a rabbit in the headlights; rather wonderfully Michael Crick had turned Boris over earlier on in the programme. :dance:

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-john ... lbert-dock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:goodnight, my friends
love
JA
Night JA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Cathy Newman has just absolutely torn Farage to shreds on C4 News over his views on working mothers, the man looked like a rabbit in the headlights; rather wonderfully Michael Crick had turned Boris over earlier on in the programme. :dance:

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-john ... lbert-dock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - he was left flubber-dubber-dubbing wasn't he ... tee hee.

Tonight's Channel 4 news has been very good so far.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Farage pasting isn't going unnoticed ...
Steve Reed MP ‏@SteveReedMP 12m12 minutes ago
Farage squirms on #channel4news as they play a speech he gave calling for total privatisation of NHS as private insurance scheme

Ian Lucas retweeted
Karl Turner MP ‏@KarlTurnerMP 15m15 minutes ago
@cathynewman savaging @Nigel_Farage now #channel4news
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:Night JA.

This evening's steaming pile of horse manure courtesy of Steerpike.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -on-hacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bless, are the ickle journos feeling picked on? Good! :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cathy Newman @cathynewman · 14m 14 minutes ago
Thanks many tweets about @Nigel_Farage interview. Sorry not to reply to every one. Rather surprised he still says mums worth less in city
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Are We All Asleep ? ‏@demindblower 7m7 minutes ago
"@AlanFCharles: Well done 4news, exposed Boris Johnson & dodgy land deals then tore apart Farage on NHS privatisation & women on maternity
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Top banter Boris Johnson!!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michael H. ‏@MichaelH14 26m26 minutes ago
French TV News has report about zero hours contracts in UK. French are horrified. Report ends with reporter saying queenie uses them.

:shock: :rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Top banter Boris Johnson!!
It's always gone on. Tories always took care of their own and retaining power within their circle. They must be feeling very threatened. :popcorn:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TORY CHAIR SHAPPS FLOUNDERING OVER NEW ‘MICHAEL GREEN’ CLAIMS
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/g ... en-claims/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even more :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

The article you link to has a link within it which takes you to another on the same subject.

Below the line are some comments - one of them, supportive of Shapps, is from one Corinne Stockheath.

Shapps, love him, is not only Michael Green, Sebastian Fox, Chuck Champion, whoever - he is also.....Corinne Stockheath!

What the actual F***? Has he got no insight at all? Surely he must know he's been rumbled?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the calibre of one of the most powerful men in this country.

If it wasn't so funny, I'd despair. But as it is so funny, I'll just laugh until my belly aches.

Off to watch horrible murders now. Mighty night all.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TORY CHAIR SHAPPS FLOUNDERING OVER NEW ‘MICHAEL GREEN’ CLAIMS
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/g ... en-claims/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even more :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

The article you link to has a link within it which takes you to another on the same subject.

Below the line are some comments - one of them, supportive of Shapps, is from one Corinne Stockheath.

Shapps, love him, is not only Michael Green, Sebastian Fox, Chuck Champion, whoever - he is also.....Corinne Stockheath!

What the actual F***? Has he got no insight at all? Surely he must know he's been rumbled?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the calibre of one of the most powerful men in this country.

If it wasn't so funny, I'd despair. But as it is so funny, I'll just laugh until my belly aches.

Off to watch horrible murders now. Mighty night all.
Given all this, who BTL at the Groan do you think he is?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Grant Shapps has got to be NickyB.

No real person could be so clueless about polling and statistics and be so lacking in insight as to bang on and on about them.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Grant Shapps has got to be NickyB.

No real person could be so clueless about polling and statistics and be so lacking in insight as to bang on and on about them.
There genuinely were days when I wondered if Rusty was Shapps, but I decided not even Rusty was that dim.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Badgers Take Centre Stage for the Next General Election
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dominic ... 7E,AQBY4,1
One of his best pieces yet.
... The badger cull policy is political poison and comes with a 'Handle with Great Care' label for Liz Truss.

She would no doubt like to see the back of the policy but is being held hostage by the Prime Minister who remains very concerned by the in-roads UKIP is making into the farming and landowning community, who remain deeply wedded to the disastrous cull.

In the next few weeks the Badger Trust will be writing to the leaders of all the UK political parties, seeking their views on badger culling and the possible roll out of the policy across the country. All the responses received will be published to ensure the millions who oppose the policy can make an informed choice at the next election.

As we enter an election campaign with both main parties fighting for 30% of the vote, a further two or even three party coalition in May 2015 remains very likely.

The views of all political parties from the Tories and Labour to UKIP, SNP and the Green Party could therefore have a key impact on the future of the badger culling policy...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian McMillan @IMcMillan · 10m 10 minutes ago
Home down a twisting lane I walked in childhood, the boy I was watching from the shadows, the ghost of the cat I found gazing at the sky.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Badgers Take Centre Stage for the Next General Election
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dominic ... 7E,AQBY4,1
One of his best pieces yet.
... The badger cull policy is political poison and comes with a 'Handle with Great Care' label for Liz Truss.

She would no doubt like to see the back of the policy but is being held hostage by the Prime Minister who remains very concerned by the in-roads UKIP is making into the farming and landowning community, who remain deeply wedded to the disastrous cull.

In the next few weeks the Badger Trust will be writing to the leaders of all the UK political parties, seeking their views on badger culling and the possible roll out of the policy across the country. All the responses received will be published to ensure the millions who oppose the policy can make an informed choice at the next election.

As we enter an election campaign with both main parties fighting for 30% of the vote, a further two or even three party coalition in May 2015 remains very likely.

The views of all political parties from the Tories and Labour to UKIP, SNP and the Green Party could therefore have a key impact on the future of the badger culling policy...
We will abandon badger culls, Eagle tells Labour Conference
SHADOW Defra Maria Eagle has told the Labour Party Conference Labour would scrap the current Government’s badger cull policy if wins next May’s General Election.

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/hot ... 58.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

For those who missed C4 news (like me), here is the Farage interview:
[youtube]06_KYZOPuCs[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian McMillan @IMcMillan · 16h 16 hours ago
When the solipsists meeting got flooded out there wasn't a dry I in the house
How could I have not looked at his twitter feed before now? How?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ignore the fact it's on the Progress site - Dominic Dyer's giving some good advice - and the political background is interesting.
Despite David Cameron’s pledge to be the ‘greenest government ever’ the coalition has been disastrous for wildlife protection and animal welfare. From badgers, buzzards to beavers the government has aligned itself with farming, landowning shooting and fishing interests to put the future protection of our wildlife at risk.

This has resulted in huge public anger with hundreds of thousands of people signing petitions, debates in parliament, high court legal challenges and thousands of people protesting in the streets of our towns and cities.

In response Miliband should produce a wildlife protection manifesto for the 2015 election. Labour should back up its commitment to stop the badger cull with pledges to introduce a closed season for hares to stop them being shot during their breeding season. They should also introduce a complete ban on the use of snares together with a broader commitment to put more police resources into fighting wildlife crime on a UK and international basis.

On the international level, Labour should allocate some of the UK’s foreign aid budget to reduce human wildlife conflict in Africa to stop the huge surge in elephant and rhino poaching. They should also seek to work with the international community to stop all whaling by Japan and other nations and to provide greater protection for dolphins and porpoises to end the senseless slaughter of these animals in places such as the Faroe Islands and Taiji Cove in Japan.

By making these commitments the Labour party will strike a chord with millions of caring compassionate people who wish to see greater protection for wildlife. In some marginal seats this could even decide the outcome of the election. Animals have friends and those friends vote – Labour cannot afford to ignore this reality...
The ban on snares is essential - urgent - must be done. Barbaric things.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pssst ... better keep quiet about this but I think there might be an ideal Xmas present for PorFavor underneath this snippet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Labour to bring in tough new penalties to tackle and deter tax avoidance"

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1025580 ... tackle-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Labour plans stiff fines for tax avoidance
Shadow chancellor Ed Balls says he would impose fines of up to 100% of the amount of tax owed by those who break rules
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -avoidance
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Odd little tweet....are we due a defector?

Bizarre decision by @UKIP tonight. Party selected candidate to fight Boston & Skegness, but won't reveal who! More on @looknorthBBC at 10.25

(I thought Neil Hamilton had it ????)
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

AngryAsWell wrote:Odd little tweet....are we due a defector?

Bizarre decision by @UKIP tonight. Party selected candidate to fight Boston & Skegness, but won't reveal who! More on @looknorthBBC at 10.25

(I thought Neil Hamilton had it ????)
How long before an article suggesting a Labour defection?