Friday 30th July 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 30th July 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 30th July 2021

Post by frog222 »

" Boris Johnson capped off the day’s fundraising with a keynote speech in which he described education investment as the “Swiss army knife” in terms of the amount of global issues it could solve.

“This is the silver bullet, this is the magic potion, this is the panacea, this is the universal cure, this is the Swiss army knife, complete with allen key and screwdriver and everything else, that can solve virtually every problem that inflicts humanity,” he said.

“I’m absolutely serious. If you educate the world properly, fairly, then of course you end a great natural injustice but you also ... perform the most fantastic benefits for humanity.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 93230.html

No idea who else was at that Global Education Summit, but marvelling at how a translator would cope with that stream of bullshit. But then I suppose forrins would understand the original 'English' , if you talk loud enough ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

How many are taking it at face value in the comments?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The JC have been at it again, and earned another fine.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The people running the Jewish Chronicle mostly aren't actually Jewish. Though the person they have libelled in the above instance, actually is.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

https://inews.co.uk/news/family-evicted ... nt-1122958
Family evicted from temporary housing in London for not attending viewing 180 miles away in Stoke-on-Trent
This is a disgrace on so many levels (don't get me started on LHA rates). It looks like the council may have acted unlawfully but they have definitely acted inhumanely.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Apsana Begum MP found not guilty of fraud, presumably she will have the Labour whip restored now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

One of those" Oh really, exactly how are you going to do that Gavin?" pieces of spin in the Telegraph about teaching Latin in state schools.

Latin will be taught in state schools to end its ‘elitist’ status
Officials believe subject will help pupils learn modern foreign languages and could bring improvements in English and maths

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... st-status/

Note the "will be taught" - given that >50% of secondaries are now academies and can choose their own curriculum, exactly how he is going to ensure that Latin "will be taught" in schools?

It's actually a pilot for 40 schools over 4 years. And the "staff at each school will be trained"...friends of mine teach Latin and Greek at independent schools. The difference is that they have PhDs and have been studying this stuff over many years.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

How much Latin does GW actually know, I wonder?