Friday 14th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 14th November 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Reckless did vote for same sex marriage, which is probably the same thing as being gay in right wing world!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Four minutes ago from @Philae2014

I confirm that my @RosettaSD2 went all the way DOWN and UP again!! First comet drilling is a fact! :)
I cannot tell you how relieved I am that contact has been re-established and data are streaming in! They have a plan to rotate the body of the Philae lander in relation to its feet, which just might improve the amount of sunlight the panels can receive...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Lammy ‏@DavidLammy 14m14 minutes ago
No new tweets from @MayorofLondon in the last 4 days. Why? He's jetted off to the States to promote his new book instead of leading London!

David Lammy retweeted
Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 13m13 minutes ago
@LBC @DavidLammy I wish he would leave permanently

David Lammy retweeted
Murad Qureshi ‏@MuradQureshiAM 8m8 minutes ago London, England
@campbellclaret @LBC @DavidLammy I didn't know that prompting your own books aboard was part of the JD for the position of @MayorofLondon
That trip away has come at a very convenient time for Boris ... time to get away from any further questioning about his development deals in the Royal docks.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Reckless did vote for same sex marriage, which is probably the same thing as being gay in right wing world!
On 1 October 2011 he married Catriona Brown at Westminster Cathedral, with a reception held in the Palace of Westminster.
I think we can safely assume that the days of Tory MPs having sham marriages to hide their sexuality ended in 1998.

So I have no idea what Shapps is on about.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Reckless did vote for same sex marriage, which is probably the same thing as being gay in right wing world!
But - shaking my head in disbelief - haven't any of the idiots putting that leaflet together heard of the notorious Bermondsey campaign leaflet? We've all heard of it. I can't believe they would use the same terminology if they had ... it has such bad associations.

So I am reduced to thinking it's utter stupidity ... and lack of any depth or oversight.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
But - shaking my head in disbelief - haven't any of the idiots putting that leaflet together heard of the notorious Bermondsey campaign leaflet? We've all heard of it. I can't believe they would use the same terminology if they had ... it has such bad associations.

So I am reduced to thinking it's utter stupidity ... and lack of any depth or oversight.
Or maybe deliberate innuendo, that Mark looks a bit light on his loafers nudge nudge wink wink.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:Four minutes ago from @Philae2014

I confirm that my @RosettaSD2 went all the way DOWN and UP again!! First comet drilling is a fact! :)
I cannot tell you how relieved I am that contact has been re-established and data are streaming in! They have a plan to rotate the body of the Philae lander in relation to its feet, which just might improve the amount of sunlight the panels can receive...
If they can't (the scientist bod didn't sound too optimistic about that earlier on the radio) does that mean there'll be no date / info collected and transmitted once the existing power sources have run out - in about 24 hours?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
On 1 October 2011 he married Catriona Brown at Westminster Cathedral, with a reception held in the Palace of Westminster.
I think we can safely assume that the days of Tory MPs having sham marriages to hide their sexuality ended in 1998.

So I have no idea what Shapps is on about.
What I meant was that for some traditional tories voting for same sex marriage was beyond the pale. The slogan could be getting at that.

Which would make it even more of an anti-Dave effort :twisted:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

If they can't (the scientist bod didn't sound too optimistic about that earlier on the radio) does that mean there'll be no date / info collected and transmitted once the existing power sources have run out - in about 24 hours?
Sadly it looks that way. The battery only lasts a short time and I believe anything after that requires the solar panels to provide the energy. It'll be a sad end to the mission if landing in the shadow of a cliff/rock prematurely scuppers the work it was sent to do.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Lammy ‏@DavidLammy 14m14 minutes ago
No new tweets from @MayorofLondon in the last 4 days. Why? He's jetted off to the States to promote his new book instead of leading London!

David Lammy retweeted
Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 13m13 minutes ago
@LBC @DavidLammy I wish he would leave permanently

David Lammy retweeted
Murad Qureshi ‏@MuradQureshiAM 8m8 minutes ago London, England
@campbellclaret @LBC @DavidLammy I didn't know that prompting your own books aboard was part of the JD for the position of @MayorofLondon
That trip away has come at a very convenient time for Boris ... time to get away from any further questioning about his development deals in the Royal docks.
Didn't someone say that Boris is going to shadow EdM, wherever he goes, up until the election? That would mean he is not going to be turning up for work as Mayor for/of London and that he wo'n't be campaigning in the Constituency he plans to represent. Not that any of us are accustomed to Boris working his butt off at City Hall (gosh I detest that name!) every day, anyway. Boris has never represented anyone but Boris himself!

Or did they mean he'll be shadowing EdM to get into practise for when Ed is PM and Boris is Leader of the Opposition? :twisted:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

The Jeremy Clarkson award for sexist twattery goes to....

Bernie Ecclestone, friend of murderous dictators everywhere.
Ecclestone said no one would miss the Marussia and Caterham teams who went into administration last month. With typically controversial language, Ecclestone suggested other struggling teams should simply spend less.

“These teams don’t need to be in financial trouble. They need to think about what they have got to spend and do the best they can with that … it’s the same problem with ladies and credit cards.”
Edited to add Clarkson Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VZlXK75KQ&sns=em
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Fri 14 Nov, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

If it stays exactly where it is the solar panels will not receive enough Watt-hours of sunlight to heat up the re-charging thingy so, once the batteries run down that will be it for transmissions via the uplink to Rosetta. Or not until the comet is closer to the sun – which it is approaching at something like 34,000 miles per hour. The closer it gets, the more charge the solar panels will collect. So that gives it a better chance of gathering enough power to be directly powered by the sun. If Rosetta can be in range at the time (it is orbiting the comet and cannot stay between the comet and the sun for long at a time) then the uplink should be able to operate. Best chance for that is in December, I think I heard one of the team say during today's Google Hangout. And the strange rotation of the comet itself might 'point Philae at the sun', to coin a phrase. We'll see.

They might be able to shift Philae tonight. They might try to bounce it out of the 'hole' it's in. They might put it into a sleep mode and try to wake it again when it's closer to the sun. But the good news is that the current link is delivering data and they might have managed to do as much as 90% of the science planned for these first days. Fingers crossed!

Edit: The rotation attempt was successful. Managed to rotate it 35 degrees. Comment was "it looks like a whole new comet from this angle ;)"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

From http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/
LANDER BATTERY VOLTAGE FALLING FAST

On board Philae, system voltage has fallen very close to 21.5V; below that, the battery won't last much longer. At this time, there is insufficient sunlight to provide power.
Goodnight Philae...
Attachments
PhilaeMidnightLast.tiff
PhilaeMidnightLast.tiff (129.39 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

LadyCentauria wrote:From http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/

On board Philae, system voltage has fallen very close to 21.5V; below that, the battery won't last much longer. At this time, there is insufficient sunlight to provide power.
Goodnight Philae...
May, just may be just a nap. I know, wishful thinking....
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hobiejoe wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:From http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/

Goodnight Philae...
May, just may be just a nap. I know, wishful thinking....
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11/15 ... rs-asleep/
With its batteries depleted and not enough sunlight available to recharge, Philae has fallen into 'idle mode' -- a possibly long silence. In this mode, all instruments and most systems on board are shut down.

"Prior to falling silent, the lander was able to transmit all science data gathered during the First Science Sequence," says DLR's Stephan Ulamec, Lander manager, who was in the main control room at ESOC tonight.
From now on, no contact would be possible unless sufficient sunlight falls on the solar panels to generate enough power to wake it up. The possibility that this may happen was boosted this evening when mission controllers sent commands to rotate the lander's main body, to which the solar panels are fixed. This may have exposed more panel area to sunlight.

The next possible communication slot begins on 15 November at about 10:00 UTC / 11:00 CET. The orbiter will listen for a signal, and will continue doing so when its orbit enables communication visibility.
As well as spending some time celebrating getting all the data up during Friday evening (10.30ish til just gone 00.36) by drinking mission-labelled champagne, the science teams are poring over all the reports and results from Philae and its onboard range of instruments. And there is a lot of that for them to get through. Someone said 100% of scheduled tasks so let no-one say this is failure. We will have some idea in the morning, when Rosetta comes into range again. If not then, then one day. Rosetta is staying with the comet for about a year so that means roughly two passes a day in which to try to make contact; and, of course, it will continue operating its own experiments and streaming that data back to us. It is just possible that Philae will have gathered enough solar-energy to wake up by Saturday morning. If so, that would suggest that the rotation they made earlier has managed to put one of the larger solar-panels into the 'sunny spot'. Fingers crossed, eh!?