Tuesday 7th September 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 7th September 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 7th September 2021

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yo.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so I'm completely confused by this social care 'plan'.

Is property no longer going to be regarded as capital in regard to social care? Because unless that's going to change I can't see how this is going to stop people having to sell their houses.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 07 Sep, 2021 1:23 pm Ok so I'm completely confused by this social care 'plan'.

Is property no longer going to be regarded as capital in regard to social care? Because unless that's going to change I can't see how this is going to stop people having to sell their houses.
I think it's still capital, but there's a lower Cap on how much People have to provide,
So it will could still mean people having to sell their houses, but would probably be expected to be covered by equity release

https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-comm ... are-reform

(Don't know how realistic this is)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I see that there was kite flying about a new lockdown in this morning's papers.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... l_Care.pdf

So no is the answer to my question above, an £86,000 cap will still mean many people who don't have substantial savings will have to sell their houses to fund their care. It would appear* that once again under the Tories the poorest will pay the most and lose the most.

*I am perfectly happy to be corrected.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinybgoat wrote: Tue 07 Sep, 2021 1:51 pm So it will could still mean people having to sell their houses, but would probably be expected to be covered by equity release
Bit of a bugger for anyone hoping to inherit the house though.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

As your post implies, the first step towards making any sense of it whatsoever is to ditch all thoughts of the concept of a "plan". And that of "Social Care", come to that.

And re property, people who own the lowest monetary value single "property " (sometimes known as a home) will still be clobbered much more, proportionally, than people owning much higher value single property (or, indeed, a "home"). Bloody home owning poorer people mustn't be allowed to get above their station despite their value to the Conservatives in the "us and them" game. They may like to think that they've made it, but they've been had. The selling off of Council Homes was a big con.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Sky'sGoneOut

I see you got there before me. In other words, you can't beat them, but you can be conned into deluding yourself into believing that you've joined them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Selling off council homes happened before Thatcher.

Where she differed was running down building any new social housing stuff.

A deliberate ideological act.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Indeed PF,

I wonder how many of the 'red wall' Tories will be smart enough to realise they've been utterly shafted.

To put it crudely the further North you go in England the more you'll be losing proportionally from your income, savings and assets.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Too many older voters have totally bought into the "good old Boris" myth I'm afraid.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote: Tue 07 Sep, 2021 2:33 pm
As your post implies, the first step towards making any sense of it whatsoever is to ditch all thoughts of the concept of a "plan". And that of "Social Care", come to that.
My first thoughts are a) this is a whacking great tax hike, they're trying to make absolutely sure they don't have to do another before the next election and b) there's no indication that any of it at all is going to councils to help with existing problems.
In no way is it a plan to fix the social care system.

Seems to me to be a plan to raise the headroom for siphoning off profits in the NHS.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

As for the triple lock, don't think many will be betting on it coming back.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That would genuinely be "brave" given how much the Tories rely on pensioner votes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Netflix tip: The Chair.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Perhaps it was a hallucination brought on by heatstroke but I think I just watched Scotland play really well and beat Austria away from home.

Netflix tip: Kingdom. If only for the hats.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The number of people I've seen today claiming NI is some special kind of tax that somehow magically bypasses the treasury straight into the benefits sytem or NHS has been highly amusing, almost entirely Tories of course using it as a bullshit justification for ignoring other options.

I've also seen people on the left offering praise to Johnson for at least doing something.

But what has he done? It looks to me like he's simply raised taxes to crudely paper over some cracks he said he was going to fix over two years ago and he hasn't even done a decent job of that. He said nobody would have to lose their home in order to fund their social care. That's still going to happen. Where are local authorities supposed to be getting the money from to pay for this? Because there's absolutely nothing in that shoddy document they released today explaining it. Where are the extra care staff coming from? The extra nursing home places? None of this has been answered.

Like everything else his government does it seems like a barely thought through quick fix to get him out of a hole because he promised something he never thought he'd have to deliver, and like all the rest of their dismal efforts it's a half arsed expensive bodge job that'll end up doing next to sweet fuck all for those who really need it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 07 Sep, 2021 6:45 pm That would genuinely be "brave" given how much the Tories rely on pensioner votes.
Not so long ago I'd have agreed with you but the way Johnson (or more accurately Brexit) has remoulded the Tory party into a toxic midden of boorish English nationalists they may be looking at the demographics of those who handed them victory last time and seeing pensioners as being no longer as useful as they once were.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And it seems that, nowadays, "Brexit means Covid". They're getting people to fall for that one, too.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My friend went to see this lot this evening. I didn't despite being offered a free ticket. Fucking Covid.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Although the free ticket was because of someone else cancelling because of Covid, so if Covid wasn't happening the free ticket would, in all likelihood, not have been available in the first place.

So I've lost nothing and am having a go at a virus for something it isn't to blame for.