Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th November 2014

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Crisis, what crisis?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... y-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh. :rofl:
Meanwhile on Sky News Murnaghan Show, Rawnsley & a woman who's name I missed couldn't help but talk about what a bad result it would be for Ed Miliband :wall:
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... y-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will still somehow be bad news for Ed, according to our beloved MSM :toss: :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The voters in Rochester and Strood know Cameron has failed them
http://labourlist.org/2014/11/the-voter ... iled-them/
But the Tories are on course to lose in no small part because they are defying their leader and fighting themselves as much as they are UKIP. Over 100 MPs, including 11 Government ministers, have reportedly refused to turn up to Rochester and there are now growing calls from senior Tories for their party to form a pact with Nigel Farage.
Strewth. That's all I can say if that's true ... 100 MPs, including 11 Government ministers ... strewth.

Back to being me for a bit - Lady Jacobia will will back later if you misbehave.

I think this is all excellent stuff.

In the past few weeks, the Tory backbenchers ripped May a new one for attempting to subvert Parliamentary procedure, and were gifted with the unedifying sight of OGRFG in his white tie scrambling back to the House to vote on a motion his party were always going to win anyway if it hadn't been tinkered with at the eleventh hour.
Just before that, we had Cameron and Osborne lying blatantly about the EU bill and the rebate - and now there's another tranche of cash going the same way but nobody's talking about it and it's all being kept very quiet; on top of which Cameron is announcing policy in Australia which his front bench know nothing about and have to explain that to the media, and at the same time he's having a pop at Putin as if he was a naughty little boy with the effect that Cameron looks like a bossy prefect.
And now, to cap it all, an ex-Tory defector to UKIP looks like repeating the antics of Carswell and ending up the second UKIP elected MP and not only was OGRFG reduced to begging Labour voters to support his desperation to keep Reckless out of the House, his orders are being ignored and a huge number of his own MPs are refusing to do what they're told.

No wonder Portillo's saying a vote of no confidence in Cameron is on the way - he's only saying what 22 Tory MPs who have signed a letter to that effect have said already - and if a third of his Parliamentary colleagues refuse to do his bidding and Gove has had to resort to a naming-and shaming exercise to make them go even once, let alone the 3 times they were ordered to.
Despite all of OGRFG's orders and Gove's bullying, they are simply taking no notice of it all and they're not going to go - perhaps they have the wit to see the writing on the wall, not just for Rochester and Strood but for their time left in government.

With all this going on, Ed Miliband has timed his fightback brilliantly. He's got most of the party behind him now; and although I still think he could have made more fuss on some issues throughout this term, he is motoring now and the constraints of a fixed-term Parliament are well gone with only 6 months to go.

One thing does worry me, though - I had a natter with Toby Latimer yesterday, and he's of the view that Labour cannot be trusted on sickness and disability issues especially ESA and the WCA; and he thinks the votes of disabled people are by no means in the bag.
He makes a very good point - there are a lot of activists and campaigner who do not like Reeves and what she says (I am one as if you hadn't noticed) and the reaction to Green is lukewarm at best as she also talks about nothing other than getting disabled people back to work and seems to think this is enough to get us onside. It isn't.

OGRFGs troubles are, obviously, not good news for Ed Miliband. As we will be told. Again.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

danesclose wrote:

Meanwhile on Sky News Murnaghan Show, Rawnsley & a woman who's name I missed couldn't help but talk about what a bad result it would be for Ed Miliband :wall:
Anne McElvoy, whose voice has me wanting to mute the telly Image

Huge shock that R & S result will all be bad news for Ed eh - say the Westminster bubble journos... :roll:
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Lindsay Roy MP retweeted
Scott Arthur ‏@EdinSaysNaw 2h2 hours ago
Sturgeon will leave it to Labour to fight the Tories in GE2015. Her party will attack Labour. http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/ana ... onference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Morning all.

Well - let's hope Labour can really take the fight to the Tories. Going to need all the social media and grassroots activity that can be mustered. Cameron may well help in his own blinkered way, of course. His comments on TTIP may well do that ... anyone who thinks he can be trusted on anything to do with NHS after his blatant pre election lie - No reorganisation of the NHS - are beyond belief.
He promised no top-down reorganisation, they think the reorganisation is bottom-up. So, of course, that's fine!

This is a good piece on the problems of imposing change from above:
http://t1ber1us.wordpress.com/2012/02/1 ... icymaking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He ends with:
But what this shows above all is the hubris of policymaking. It is hubris to imagine you can, as a new government, change public organisations from top to bottom and expect everyone within them to go along with your plans, and for them to work. To assume you know better than those working in public services how they should be organised and delivered.

That’s one reason why top-down NHS reorganisations don’t work, but I’d go further and say they can’t work. Policymakers are too closed off from viewpoints other than their own to have to talk through their ideas properly. But more importantly, there is no right answer to NHS reform that can be imposed from the centre. We need greater plurality and local adaptation for health services, and much stronger local democratic links. We can have national standards but allow local areas to work out or adapt how to achieve them best for them. Top-down plans won’t work – they are hubris.
I despair at this:
http://www.libdems.org.uk/nhs_funding_a ... t_priority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberal Democrat health minister Norman Lamb is calling for the government to free up as much as £1.5bn to invest in the NHS in 2015/2016.
If they hadn't voted through the Health and Social Care Act then instead of wasting billions on pointless reorganisation this money would be available now, and without asking for it. :fire:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

pk1 wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Anne McElvoy, whose voice has me wanting to mute the telly Image

Huge shock that R & S result will all be bad news for Ed eh - say the Westminster bubble journos... :roll:
Quite. To paraphrase the estimable OneButtonMonkey she has the sort of voice that makes my ear wax want to be sick
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

If I were casting for an actor to play EdM, I would probably choose Matt Barber – most recently seen on TV playing Atticus Aldridge (Lady Rose's new husband) in Downton Abbey:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The real story behind the "brits can't make sandwiches" rubbish
Supermarket sandwich company that snubbed Brits for Hungarian workers in 6p-an-hour pay rise row

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/su ... ts-4635564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“People are shouted at for not working fast enough and agency workers are too scared to refuse overtime in case they are binned. We’re disciplined over the smallest of things, from time off to talking too much.”

Staff say they often have to work in extreme temperatures, either hand-decorating cakes in the baking area where huge ovens operate or doing desserts in the chilled area, where it can be as cold as five degrees. They claim staff are expected to work 12-hour shifts at weekends. One employee told us: “You can be shifted from one zone to another in the same shift. The chilled area is freezing and lots of us put on thermals which aren’t much fun when you’re moved to the mixing area where it’s boiling

Another insider claimed agency staff were forced to line up with only a lucky few were chosen to work the day.
He said: “Shifts start at 6am and we see both British and foreign agency workers coming in at 5.40 for work. Those not chosen sit in the canteen before heading home at about quarter past.
“The agency staff who are picked end up doing three or four hours a day. It’s like a lottery.”

(afternoon all)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

That is physically sickening.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... or-labour/?

The Spectator on "why rochester won't provide much relief for Labour"

... because it's going to be fantastic for the Tories isn't it.
am bored of it now, which is, frankly, a relief.
Someone was doing the whole concern troll thing on Twitter yesterday about how Labour absolutely must win Rochester, that it'd be a disaster if they didn't because they won there so recently. I pointed out that the constituency didn't exist until 2010 and the Tories won it easily. They came back with "ah yes but Labour have won in Kent before so my point stands"...

There's a definite attempt to paint any the result, which Labour don't really have any chance of winning on any numbers I've seen, as a disaster for Ed. Pure misdirection and distraction tactics 101 from the Crosby playbook I think.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Off topic but I'm just doing a tasting session on the brandy I've brought for my Christmas cake. [£10 from Aldi and very good it is too :) ]
Going through my recipe notebook I found this. As we've been remembering wars it seems appropriate.
It also clearly illustrates that even in wartime, the wealthy did far better than the poor. No way could a regular working class family get their hands on these ingredients.
My mum and dad married in 1943, and even my gran who had been a cook with a posh family and knew how to make substitutions, wasn't able to source enough ingredients to make the wedding cake, so they had a sponge cake covered by a pretend cardboard, one..

HARRODS WARTIME RECIPE FOR CHRISTMAS CAKE.

Half pound of butter or marge.
Three quarters of a pound of flour
1 tablespoon marmalade
1 teaspoonful baking powder
1 " mixed spice
1 " cinnamon
1 " lemon essence
1 " almond "
1 " vanilla "
Half teaspoon salt
2 pounds mixed dried fruit
4 eggs
4 tablespoons of either milk, brandy, or honey.
Cooking time one and a half hours at 350 degrees, then one and a half hours at 300 degrees.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dr Mssrs Crosby and Murdoch,

I've got some Aussie mates who assure me that the weather is brill in 'Strileyer' - even in Melbourne which is otherwise almost identical to England. Also the barbies are much better there than they are here. Better hair and accessories perhaps? Beer also is much better as are sports, men and hats.

I think you should give it a go.

TC
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sending a welcome wave to Everybodyknows, our newest member who has introduced themself over in Greeting & Announcements.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I see what you mean about Matt Barber Lady C [haven't seen him before].

A definite contender for Ed M in a film, but of course the Indie/Com Res preferred to get the Rowan Atkinson result.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Everybodyknows

Hello, there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:Times Red Box email has an interesting piece in it.
The quest to calm the horses will not be helped by revelations in The Sunday Times that the Treasury failed on Friday to oppose plans to hand the European Commission an extra £2.4 billion this year - a fresh bill for British taxpayers of £400m.

I spoke yesterday to an irate EU diplomat from one of the countries that want to control costs who was amazed when David Gauke, the Treasury minister deputed by George Osborne to attend Ecofin meetings, did no more than abstain on the proposal. His view is that Britain has agreed to shut up about the annual budget in exchange for more time to pay the £850m bill with which it was saddled last month. It’s just the kind of machinations on which Ukip thrives.

The Treasury at first repeatedly refused to deny that they have struck a deal with the commission, and then turned around and said that there is no such deal. Suspicious. They say they did not vote against because the extra money this year will be offset by extra cash later and that the plans don’t breach the seven year budget agreement signed up to by Cameron. But the bottom line is that we will have to pay more this year. If the government doesn’t see the point of voting against that, you do wonder what its European policy is.

Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor, has called on Osborne to "come clean about his secret deal".
I'm shocked that the Murdoch media didn't run with it as a front page story......no no, I'm truly shocked :roll:
When I'm in the newsagents or supermarkets I've taken to checking the headlines on the newspapers...They are frequently sickening and often salacious, which are about the two kindest words I can find. I won't buy one on that principle alone because I know a lot of it will be made up rubbish, but whoever decides on the headlines thinks it will encourage people to part with their money.
I honestly wonder if they went back to more sedate wording, print newspaper sales would pick up?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Spacedone wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... or-labour/?

The Spectator on "why rochester won't provide much relief for Labour"

... because it's going to be fantastic for the Tories isn't it.
am bored of it now, which is, frankly, a relief.
Someone was doing the whole concern troll thing on Twitter yesterday about how Labour absolutely must win Rochester, that it'd be a disaster if they didn't because they won there so recently. I pointed out that the constituency didn't exist until 2010 and the Tories won it easily. They came back with "ah yes but Labour have won in Kent before so my point stands"...

There's a definite attempt to paint any the result, which Labour don't really have any chance of winning on any numbers I've seen, as a disaster for Ed. Pure misdirection and distraction tactics 101 from the Crosby playbook I think.
The Sky News thing I referred to in a previous mail also had this as part of the narrative, saying that the seat was essentially Medway, which was Labour until 2010, neglecting to mention boundary changes, and the fact that the seat was held by Bob Marshal-Andrews (who was vehemently anti-Blair) and had a large personal vote
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:Image

A definite contender for Ed M in a film, but of course the Indie/Com Res preferred to get the Rowan Atkinson result.

Have that boy washed and brought to my tent!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:

:clap:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@Ohso

That cake sounds lush ! A christmas cake without suet sounds like something I need to get hubby to cook so have saved it for him :lol:

Thanks for posting it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:

I've always wanted a toy boy. He'll do nicely. :twisted: :lol:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

OHSOCYNICAL!

:shock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:@Ohso

That cake sounds lush ! A christmas cake without suet sounds like something I need to get hubby to cook so have saved it for him :lol:

Thanks for posting it.
I used to buy and sell antiques, and often cleared houses. I found that recipe handwritten in old fashioned ink on a bit of paper that fell out of a book. So entirely genuine. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:OHSOCYNICAL!

:shock:
Us old 'uns could teach the young ones a thing or two.... 8-) :lol:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

I've always wanted a toy boy. He'll do nicely. :twisted: :lol:
I was struck by the resemblance while watching the last couple of episodes of the most recent series but got distracted (no, not like that!) and failed to mention it at the time.

Form an orderly queue, ladies!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

News from DPAC - and not good.

dpac.uk.net/2014/11/urgent-people-awaiting-wca-assessments-particularly-in-birmingham-please-read/

DWP is planning to "invite" people in the Assessment Phase of ESA - ie. those who are waiting for their first WCA to determine their entitlement - to interviews with the aim of getting 10% of them off benefit. There is email evidence that this target exists.
There is no jobsearch condition in the Assessment Phase (as in the Support Group) because the claimant has not been assessed and DWP does not know what group entitlement the WCA will recommend (SG claimants are already judged unfit for any work or work-related activity)

Staff have been told to not make it clear that these interviews are not mandatory - in other words, an invitation for an interview that is not due for these claimants before the WCA and subsequent decision according to the legislation, is being made without the clarification that it is purely voluntary. So there are bound to be some people who think they have to attend even though they don't.

The PCS is furious - as it should be - and is saying that not only is this approach to claimants unlawful, PCS members are against doing it but are concerned that they will face disciplinary action if they don't.

Seems the massive backlog of assessments that Maximus has inherited from Atos (and the same people are doing for Maximus what they did for Atos) is going to be chipped away at not by doing the bloody assessments but by scaring people off before they even have one.

Disgraceful.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

On BBC Parliament, right now. The Wales Report with Huw Edwards.
In a special programme from the Senedd in Cardiff, an in-depth look at the NHS in Wales. Huw Edwards speaks to the man in charge, health minister Mark Drakeford.
Anyone who does not have a telly (or licence) will be able to watch it later on BBC iPlayer...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

quote="ohsocynical"]
ephemerid wrote:

I've always wanted a toy boy. He'll do nicely. :twisted: :lol:[/quote]

Whilst friends are distracted by an imposter, AAW nips in and runs off with the real deal....
2014 Ed.png
2014 Ed.png (128.39 KiB) Viewed 14678 times
[
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

feather ‏@oohincensed 28m28 minutes ago
@Avitusparta A fine that doesn't put a dent in them>while cameron reminded us that Jesus tells us to bear each others burdens>the herod

We've all said about the Coalition taking us back to the Victorian days. Dave's now proved it. In those days Vicars frequently preached that we should be happy with our place in the world and if that was on the bottom rung and a miserable existence, nevertheless we should work hard, and accept that it was Gods will.

How bloody dare he quote the Bible at us.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Is it any wonder we don't know what the weather will be like?

From today's Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 63585.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK weather: Heavy rain and strong gales expected in 'wettest winter since 1981'

Wet windy weather from the west Atlantic is expected to make its way ove

This winter could be the wettest for more than 30 years, Met Office research has suggested.

The forecaster's three-month outlook shows heavy rainfall and storms in the west Atlantic Ocean are predicted to move over to the UK via a strong jet stream of 100 metres per second.
Alternatively, also from today's Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk-we ... 55584.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is still some hope for a white winter. UK Weather forecasters are predicting that the coming months will be the opposite of last Christmas – which saw the British isles besieged by storms – and will instead experience “blocking patterns”.

They are predicting a “colder and drier than average winter”.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

45m: @daveskid73 The dutch privatisation in 2006 iirc has resulted in my retired father in law at 76 paying nearly €2000 pa before any treatment

Worth remembering.
Retired and elderly don't qualify for free treatment with private health care. Mr Ohso and I couldn't afford health insurance on our income.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

danesclose wrote:Is it any wonder we don't know what the weather will be like?

From today's Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 63585.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This winter could be the wettest for more than 30 years, Met Office research has suggested.

The forecaster's three-month outlook shows heavy rainfall and storms in the west Atlantic Ocean are predicted to move over to the UK via a strong jet stream of 100 metres per second.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk-we ... 55584.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is still some hope for a white winter. UK Weather forecasters are predicting that the coming months will be the opposite of last Christmas – which saw the British isles besieged by storms – and will instead experience “blocking patterns”.

Mr Ohso is shaking his head :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

From today's Independent

In general any forecast beyond a few days is guesswork. Beyond a week forget it.

I have come to the conclusion that papers feel obligated to print articles about the weather. In the case of the Express it helps fill the gap left by the long overdue demise of the Princess DI conspiracy stories.

However it is also irresponsible if it causes unnecessary concern to those who worry how to heat their houses.
Release the Guardvarks.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

WelshIan wrote:I despair at this:
http://www.libdems.org.uk/nhs_funding_a ... t_priority" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberal Democrat health minister Norman Lamb is calling for the government to free up as much as £1.5bn to invest in the NHS in 2015/2016.
If they hadn't voted through the Health and Social Care Act then instead of wasting billions on pointless reorganisation this money would be available now, and without asking for it. :fire:
And to finish my thought, whether the money is secured or not, he will try to paint himself in a good light - either the LibDems get the extra money for the NHS or the nasty Tories stopped them getting it.
It's so predictable that I wonder if anyone falls for it any longer.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

No internet, no child tax break: 200,000 families are likely to miss out because they do not have access to the web

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 63485.html
If I had a pound for every Tory cock up I've posted about, I could afford private health insurance. :roll:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

I present evidence of the decline of western civilisation.
The trend appears to have originated in the handbag of Anna Wintour, who earlier this year was spotted peering at the screen of a flip-phone she had first acquired in approximately 2004 – before she switched to a BlackBerry and, later, an iPhone.

Wintour-watchers interpreted her reversion to pre-smartphone technology as a style statement, but the Vogue editor, who is 65, is far from alone among her age group. Iggy Pop, 67, recently told The Cut website that he owns a flip-phone, "because you can drop it a lot and it won't break, and when you want to text it still has three letters to each button".
Now setting aside all this vacuous bollocks about which piece of phone related technology people chose to use, the concept of an Anna Wintour watcher is stunning.

Anna Wintour works in the most trivial and futile industry ever, fashion magazines. If she died tomorrow there would be zero impact on humanity. She has achieved nothing concrete with her life and she probably never will.

Oh and her brother is a bit of a muppet.

Now stop watching her and get a life.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Crystal Palace Sports Centre "could" be demolished to make way for a free school and a proposed new college?

Bung de bung de bung de bung. Sorry, being unduly cynical in my middle age!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

What's wrong with Wintour watching, darlink?

Mwah, mwah!!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

From today's Independent

In general any forecast beyond a few days is guesswork. Beyond a week forget it.

I have come to the conclusion that papers feel obligated to print articles about the weather. In the case of the Express it helps fill the gap left by the long overdue demise of the Princess DI conspiracy stories.
However it is also irresponsible if it causes unnecessary concern to those who worry how to heat their houses.
We've been very lucky so far. It's been very mild here in the SE. We are still getting days where we don't need the heating on for much of the day. We have saved a lot of energy. My anticipated fuel bill is going to be far less than previous years even if it suddenly turns extra cold after Christmas. Thank God!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

From today's Independent

You've pretty much summed up the usefulness of weather crystal ball watching - ie not very. Our winter weather generally originates over the Atlantic or blows in from Siberia. The Mirror recently had a handy article about how one or the other may happen, with a few examples of cold winters of the past. I'm not sure why I waste my life reading such nonsense, but I did read an article a few years ago which reckoned early winters, like those we were having, tended to come in a 3 year cycle, which proved pretty accurate so who knows!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

If we haven't had this.

Noel Edmonds puts the boot into the British Establishment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... monds.html

No I didn't see that one coming either
Release the Guardvarks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Crystal Palace Sports Centre "could" be demolished to make way for a free school and a proposed new college?

I trained there every weekend when I was 15/16 (I was a swimmer)

Used to chat to the likes of Geoff Capes. Nice bloke. David Bedford was a miserable git.

Where did you hear about this, letsskip? The website doesn't say anything and the buildings are listed - plus there's been a lot of money spent on it in the past few years upgrading the facilities.

Got a link?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

From today's Independent

You've pretty much summed up the usefulness of weather crystal ball watching - ie not very. Our winter weather generally originates over the Atlantic or blows in from Siberia. The Mirror recently had a handy article about how one or the other may happen, with a few examples of cold winters of the past. I'm not sure why I waste my life reading such nonsense, but I did read an article a few years ago which reckoned early winters, like those we were having, tended to come in a 3 year cycle, which proved pretty accurate so who knows!
It's so mild here that Hollyhocks grew, flowered, seeded, died back and are now growing again [nearing one and a half foot] and have flower buds. I also have snapdragons on their second bloom. Temps are way higher at this time of year than they are normally.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 16 Nov, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Crystal Palace Sports Centre "could" be demolished to make way for a free school and a proposed new college?

Used to chat to the likes of Geoff Capes. Nice bloke. David Bedford was a miserable git.

Where did you hear about this, letsskip? The website doesn't say anything and the buildings are listed - plus there's been a lot of money spent on it in the past few years upgrading the facilities.

Got a link?
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/n ... lace-track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ephemerid wrote:

Got a link?
Sorry ephe, I am on my phone, don't know how to post a link on it, the piece is on the Guardian website, 4 options on the table apparently, all the options involve a free school. It could be a bit of a dog fight though, some reasonably big name athletes up in arms about it?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Thanks Dan!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Been watching a Synnedd debate on housing - glad to hear that Carmarthen council is building proper council houses again.

Hopefully that'll spread - they're also trying to do something about abandoned/empty houses too.

All the AMs think that a waiting list of up to 5 years is appalling - it is, but compare it to London where in some boroughs they have waiting lists of decades and most people on them will never ever be housed by their council.
According to a datablog from 2012, there were 860,000 households in all of the London boroughs on waiting lists - one in ten of all Londoners. Most of them will wait at least 10 years if not indefinitely.

The Welsh LibDems say that 2,000 people have been waiting for more than 10 years with 5,000 waiting for 5, but the Welsh government say that some of those people are counted twice because they are on more than one list.
I'm not sure if any of that is accurate; but they are trying to sort out how these folks are counted with a bit of joined-up information, so they can get a better idea of how dire things really are.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ephemerid wrote:Been watching a Synnedd debate on housing - glad to hear that Carmarthen council is building proper council houses again.

Hopefully that'll spread - they're also trying to do something about abandoned/empty houses too.

All the AMs think that a waiting list of up to 5 years is appalling - it is, but compare it to London where in some boroughs they have waiting lists of decades and most people on them will never ever be housed by their council.
According to a datablog from 2012, there were 860,000 households in all of the London boroughs on waiting lists - one in ten of all Londoners. Most of them will wait at least 10 years if not indefinitely.

The Welsh LibDems say that 2,000 people have been waiting for more than 10 years with 5,000 waiting for 5, but the Welsh government say that some of those people are counted twice because they are on more than one list.
I'm not sure if any of that is accurate; but they are trying to sort out how these folks are counted with a bit of joined-up information, so they can get a better idea of how dire things really are.

Talking of which there's an appalling follow up to the New Era housing shambles on the Guardian pages, sickening tbh, Wales has it's problems, but they don't include foreign companies intent on making millions out of what once was social housing. Utter, utter bastards.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: In general any forecast beyond a few days is guesswork. Beyond a week forget it.

It's so mild here that Hollyhocks grew, flowered, seeded, died back and are now growing again [nearing one and a half foot] and have flower buds. I also have snapdragons on their second bloom. Temps are way higher at this time of year than they are normally.
I know what you mean. My hypericum is very confused. I've never known it to still be flowering in November before! Meanwhile, it's deja vu all over again on the Somerset levels. The River Parrett is already dangerously high at Burrowbridge:

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/pict ... res.html#1
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Nick Gibb is "Talking an utter load of tosh" non-shocker.

Minister tells schools to copy China - and ditch trendy teaching for 'chalk and talk': Teachers speaking in front of a class 'much more effective than independent learning'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rning.html
Education Minister Nick Gibb said 'whole class teaching' is more effective
It involves the teacher instructing all pupils together using blackboard
Remarks follow scheme which saw teachers from UK visit Shanghai
Researchers have found children in China achieve 30% higher marks
Method was used in UK until '50s when it was deemed too authoritarian
:roll:

Well I was at primary school from 1964 or 65 to 1971, and at secondary until 1977...and we were taught from a blackboard by a teacher standing at the front. And had individual desks.

I notice his speech the other day gave shout-outs to the usual suspects...and one I hadn't come across before:
And Teach First alumni such as Robert Peal, Kris Boulton, Katie Ashford and Joe Kirby are challenging current education orthodoxies. Their passionate iconoclasm, which refuses to accept mistaken and damaging conventional wisdom, is inspirational.
Kirby is Birbalsingh's deputy head and Katie Ahsford...
English teacher, blogger, chai latté drinker. Director of Inclusion at Michaela Community School.
Shocked I was...the usual bunch of people who shout louder than anyone else on the internet and teach at the 'right' schools.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.