Monday 17th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 17th November 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How Labour plans to counter the Tories' Rochester spin
The party is determined not to allow the Conservatives to make Labour failure the story of Thursday's by-election.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ester-spin
Interesting article - including telling us that Cameron actually said they would be 'kicking Reckless's "fat arse" - as also divulged on the Westminster Hour last night.

However, it's the first comment BTL that really surprised me ... wild verbose fantasies involving Gordon Brown ... what's he got to do with this?
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:
Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 3m3 minutes ago
(Possibly) BREAKING: Coulson set to be released from prison on tag next week: wonder how much of his memoirs he's written. #HACKINGTRIAL
So out after less than 5 months of an 18 month sentence. Quelle Surprise!
Quite rightly so, surely?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

stefanstern @stefanstern · 37m 37 minutes ago
Hmm, interesting tactics... Rochester by-election: 'House prices will go down if you vote Ukip' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -Ukip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:
(Possibly) BREAKING: Coulson set to be released from prison on tag next week: wonder how much of his memoirs he's written. #HACKINGTRIAL
Back in court in January I think. On trial re the Tommy Sheridan case.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:
Absolutely, if the same rules are applied to all committing similar white collar offences. By the way I have no evidence that they are not and would be happy to learn that they are.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rochester and .... err
http://electionleaflets.org/leaflets/8587/

The latest UKIP election leaflet in Rochester and Strood.
Not content with ignoring Strood for years, out of touch Tories have now literally wiped Strood off the map in their latest leaflet.
It WAS YOUR MAN representing the invisible Strood 'for years' ....

This by election is beyond farce.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rearofthestore wrote: So out after less than 5 months of an 18 month sentence. Quelle Surprise!
Absolutely, if the same rules are applied to all committing similar white collar offences. By the way I have no evidence that they are not and would be happy to learn that they are.
It's not just white collar offenders who get out on a tag by any means.

There's a risk assessment and Coulson would doubtless meet that.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rearofthestore wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rearofthestore wrote: So out after less than 5 months of an 18 month sentence. Quelle Surprise!
Early release from prison in England and Wales: an overview
Standard Note:
SN/HA/5199
Last updated:
15 May 2013

Home Detention Curfew (HDC) enables eligible, suitable prisoners serving between 12 weeks and just less than 4 years to be released up to 135 days before the half-way point in their sentence, subject to an electronically monitored curfew.
I can't add a url, as there isn't one shown, but if you look in the Commons Library for the above reference number, it should be there.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Bradshaw ‏@BenPBradshaw 35m35 minutes ago
More & more people relying on #Exeter Foodbank. Most in work. Official referral needed for help & time limited http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/f ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BackTheBan.jpg
BackTheBan.jpg (60.44 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
Sarah Champion MP ‏@SarahChampionMP 4m4 minutes ago
Guess what Tories priority is if re-elected? Tackling poverty? Living standards? Nope, bringing back fox hunting!!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see Alistair Darling talking about EU membership in the Guardian and the need to make the case for it.

Doubtless this will see Labour and the SNP on the same side?

In which case we can conclude they're the same, right?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I see Alistair Darling talking about EU membership in the Guardian and the need to make the case for it.

Doubtless this will see Labour and the SNP on the same side?

In which case we can conclude they're the same, right?
Oooh Tubby - not a chance mate. Not according to the Salmond Sturgeon school of logic.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Did anyone watch Dispatches tonight? Only just got home so wondering whether to watch it on C4+1.
Fraser Nelson, editor of The Spectator, reports on a new inequality between the haves and have-nots in post-recession Britain, investigating an increasing gap between the nation's wealthiest and poorest people, and the impact of this divide on such issues as children's education, health and quality of life.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

frightful_oik wrote:Did anyone watch Dispatches tonight? Only just got home so wondering whether to watch it on C4+1.
Fraser Nelson, editor of The Spectator, reports on a new inequality between the haves and have-nots in post-recession Britain, investigating an increasing gap between the nation's wealthiest and poorest people, and the impact of this divide on such issues as children's education, health and quality of life.
Getting hammered on Twitter.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Getting interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-30080313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Findlay closing gap on Murphy.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I wish the more middle of the road candidate were doing better.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I noticed Laura McInerney's tweets from this but I was in the library so didn't see it which is a shame given this...

Sean Coughlan
‏@seanjcoughlan
Public accounts committee sounding baffled and underwhelmed by role of regional schools commissioners and headteacher boards

Well quite.

A classic case on Gove's part of We need to do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this.

And he didn't tell the Edu Select Committee - Graham Stuart found out from the advert in the TES.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Apparently Wormald's lack of knowledge about "paused" academy chains didn't go down well either.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Watched it anyway. Pretty crap. As soon as Anthony Seldon came on I gave up.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:Watched it anyway. Pretty crap. As soon as Anthony Seldon came on I gave up.
I wouldn't be quite as damning as you. It did expose a lot of the myths about working always making you better off - it quite clearly doesn't.

And it says something that Fraser Nelson made this ... and ended with saying that the gap between rich and poor - and the lack of ability to move from working poverty towards something better is going to be the most essential, defining question for years to come.

But then have to admit that our version was preceded by a very good Labour party political broadcast (coincidence?) which had some very good straightforward accounts by 'real' people of the challenges and issues they are dealing with.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Anger as record number of maimed troops are denied disability benefit in Government's controversial assessments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

While Philae is in sleep-mode and Rosetta has been withdrawing to a 30 km orbit of comet67P, the OSIRIS imaging team have been rather busy hunting through stacks of images hunting for a tiny speck (Philae) as it pootled down across the comet to its three touchdowns via two bounces. One give-away is disturbances to the dust on the surface of the comet, the other is a glint of silvery-white. They have now produced a mosaic-image showing it at certain points in the approach, where it first touched down, and the direction it went bouncing off in – if you can describe 2 hours back in the air as a bounce...
from the Rosetta Blog: http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11/17 ... the-comet/

Meanwhile, another scientist has offered these mapped images of the AGILKAE landing area:

This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If you can stomach Tom Bradby, I cannot, Miliband is on The Agenda at 10.35ish.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If you're fucked, it's always best to get your excuses in early.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick now6 seconds ago
Tuesday's i front page:
"Student fees time bomb"
Three-quarters won't pay their loans back, says report.

Long term economic plan.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Fucking hell. Has Hitchens had a Damascene conversion? If he keeps writing like that, the Rothermeres really aren't going to want him around.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... urs-fault/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was going so well until the inevitable snarky last line.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Fucking hell. Has Hitchens had a Damascene conversion? If he keeps writing like that, the Rothermere's really aren't going to want him around.
He hates an unprincipled politician, and Cameron is that in spades.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... urs-fault/

Mike Penning replied, rightly, that none of those who had voted would have had an opportunity to do so had the government continued with Labour’s policy of unaccountable police authorities.
I thought the old police authorities were a mix of local councillors who are elected, and local people who put themselves forward. Hardly unaccountable.

As someone said, PCCs were the answer to the question that no-one had asked.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

We can’t blame David Cameron if the eurozone stumbles into recession again

http://gu.com/p/43c8k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'... as Cameron writes, that the UK economy is recovering. It is fragile, patchy and unfair in many ways, but it is also in better shape than most of our EU neighbours. Saying, as Ed Miliband did again in his “zero-zero” Senate House speech last week, that “Britain only works for the privileged few” is palpably not the case and therefore unwise. '

So The Guardian are going to come out for a continuation of this coalition?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... urs-fault/

Mike Penning replied, rightly, that none of those who had voted would have had an opportunity to do so had the government continued with Labour’s policy of unaccountable police authorities.
I thought the old police authorities were a mix of local councillors who are elected, and local people who put themselves forward. Hardly unaccountable.

As someone said, PCCs were the answer to the question that no-one had asked.
Yep, quite correct. But did you expect anything like the truth from the Speccy? Not their scene man (and they can't swim either).
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

StephenDolan wrote:We can’t blame David Cameron if the eurozone stumbles into recession again

'... as Cameron writes, that the UK economy is recovering. It is fragile, patchy and unfair in many ways, but it is also in better shape than most of our EU neighbours. Saying, as Ed Miliband did again in his “zero-zero” Senate House speech last week, that “Britain only works for the privileged few” is palpably not the case and therefore unwise. '

Er, yes. They've accepted the bullshit argument put forward by Cameron and never questioned the 2007/08 crash as being anything other than Labour profligacy. So what else would you expect them to do in May? I'll tell you. They'll advise you to vote Green ("the party whose time is approaching"), or FibDem ("having been in government, they have the wisdom and experience to make a much bigger difference next time") or Tory ("dealt a bad hand, Cameron and his government have made the most of their breaks and deserve another 5 (fucking) years in office").

And if that doesn't chill you, then you're on the wrong website.

The Graun would support Lucifer before Labour, such is their venality. They are Londoners to a man, but rich Londoners; who else would you expect them to support? The party of labour, whose councils are getting hammered year in and out whilst Tory councils down south get an easy ride? Fuck off. They gave up on being a serious newspaper years ago, so I won't buy their shit any more.

Try selling it to Tories in Esher; and I hope they tell you to fuck off too, Rubbisher.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

StephenDolan wrote:We can’t blame David Cameron if the eurozone stumbles into recession again

It's been suggested here before many times and I think this demonstrates that that fear has reason behind it. It is so blatantly obvious that Ed Miliband was speaking the literal truth that to express a contrary opinion beggars belief.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Double amputee killed himself after benefits slashed, say anguished family
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... ref=twtrec
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AlisonSeabeckMP retweeted
BernieF ‏@bernieforkin 4h4 hours ago
@talbotweets
Tory view on recession.
2009: caused by Lab
2010: by bankers
2011: by markets
2012: Lab again
2013: it's over
2014: hang on...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

mbc1955 wrote:

It's been suggested here before many times and I think this demonstrates that that fear has reason behind it. It is so blatantly obvious that Ed Miliband was speaking the literal truth that to express a contrary opinion beggars belief.
Can you imagine if Miliband came out with that bullshit (in government)? He'd be crucified

Cameron's paving the way for another recession, and he knows it, as does Osborne. They've ramped up borrowing and debt and now they want the get of jail card for May 2015. And what's infuriating is that the meeja will happily give it to them without any sort of questioning.

I want to know where all the money squandered since May 2010 has gone, and why we're on £1.3tn pounds in debt, and who to, come to think of it. There was a window of opportunity in 2010 ti get things cracking and those dumb bastards decided to kill it with austerity. Well done: have a fucking banana.

The Tories are setting themselves up to lose in May 2015, or, if they win, blame 'outside forces' for the most appalling cuts to spending you might imagine. Win-win, perhaps. And only a small number of people will call those callous sadists out. We need to go on the offensive.