Thursday 30th September 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 30th September 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 30th September 2021

Post by refitman »

I knew Kirstie Allsop was bad, but I didn't think THIS bad.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dear me.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

DWP:
The new household support fund will support millions of households in England and will be distributed by councils in England, who know their local areas best and can directly help those who need it most, including for example, through small grants to meet daily needs such as food, clothing, and utilities. Cash will be made available to local authorities in October 2021.
Imo this is more infuriating than doing nothing.
A straightforward admission that social security is so inadequate you might need a 'small grant' to put food on the table.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So while people were struggling to fill up their cars just to pop to the shops, Johnson was announcing "Galactic Britain". Not the most sensitive timing, I would suggest:

https://www.indy100.com/politics/boris- ... n-b1928371
Boris Johnson promises to create ‘galactic Britain’ but the people aren’t exactly convinced
It's like the government is taking its policies from Mash Report headlines.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:13 am DWP:
The new household support fund will support millions of households in England and will be distributed by councils in England, who know their local areas best and can directly help those who need it most, including for example, through small grants to meet daily needs such as food, clothing, and utilities. Cash will be made available to local authorities in October 2021.
Imo this is more infuriating than doing nothing.
A straightforward admission that social security is so inadequate you might need a 'small grant' to put food on the table.
Its basically the Social Fund revived, surely? Though of course that was never really adequate either.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Between 1987 and 2013, surely basic social security was considerably more generous in real terms than it is now.
Having a fund for emergency or intermittent need is one thing, admitting people need it to live is another.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As someone with significant experience of it in that period, up to a point.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

More calls for Dick to resign.
I suppose the reason she appears to be unique in this regard is because most Commanders resign at the first time of asking. Historically, anyway.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody about this evening? Last day of September and its getting dark already.....
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Was supposed to be visiting the folks for their wedding anniversary this weekend but have had to cancel because my brother can't get any petrol.

Ho-hum.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

In case anyone hadn't heard about this absolute tosser.

Telegraph's Cartoonist Bob Moran Violates Twitter Rules With Anti-Vax Attack On Doctor.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... eda4747bc5
Bob Moran, The Telegraph’s cartoonist, has got into a messy Twitter row with an NHS doctor over his anti-Covid vaccine stance.

On Monday, Dr Rachel Clarke revealed she had been verbally abused in public for wearing a mask – only for Moran to reportedly “openly abuse” her in response.

His original tweet aimed at Clarke had to be removed by the social media platform because it “violated the Twitter rules”.

Moran is believed to have replied encouraging further verbal abuse against Clarke for “the rest of her worthless existence” according to a screenshot caught by journalist Otto English.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Why anti-maskers mind if other people wear masks I cannot fathom.
Unless they're just looking for a fight.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29897.html
A drunk Turkish man who was reported missing “found himself” after inadvertently joining the search party sent out to look for him
Excellent.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Over the weekend am planning to shout at some people for wearing anoraks.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 30 Sep, 2021 6:44 pm Was supposed to be visiting the folks for their wedding anniversary this weekend but have had to cancel because my brother can't get any petrol.

Ho-hum.
I don't know what the situation is in town but no problems between here and Guisborough today, no queues, no 'no fule' signs, and a delivery to our nearest garage as I came back. No indication of any cars following him!

So if your bro had enough to get to the Northeast might be ok from there.
A regional split is appearing in the petrol crisis-- with some areas improving and others still struggling with shortages.

The Times says the petrol crisis is improving in areas including the North East, Yorkshire and Wales
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Cheers Gilsey. He's in the North West and hasn't been able to get any petrol since Sunday.

I thought about getting the train but they're doing maintenance on the East Coast mainline over the weekend so it would be a coach instead so my dad told me not to bother.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Thu 30 Sep, 2021 9:23 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29897.html
A drunk Turkish man who was reported missing “found himself” after inadvertently joining the search party sent out to look for him
Truly inspirational.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oof! Wes Streeting steams straight in and gives George Eustice a swift kick to the balls! Good stuff.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah, you are doing Question Time again (so we don't have to)?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh deary me, not a good start from Spiked's latest offering. Who is she?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:48 pm Ah, you are doing Question Time again (so we don't have to)?
My life is indeed that sad.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Interestingly Fiona Bruce said the majority of the audience were Brexiters and asked if any of them were prepared to put up their hand and say they were happy with what was going on at the moment. Not one of them did.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And we're done.

You know what? I thought Wes Streeting did alright tonight, he floored Eustice with that quick kick to the balls right at the start, sailed through the rest and made an amusing quip about Hancock not being suitable for Bond ("We don't have those sort of Bond's anymore") at the end. Good stuff.

George Eustice meanwhile never recovered from Streeting's initial attack and looked pained and subdued throughout, though it has to be said he inadvertantly provided the funniest moment of the evening. While discussing the removal of the charitable tax breaks from private schools (a great idea) it turned out he was the only one on the panel who'd been wholly privately educated thus bolstering the case he was arguing against.

Not sure who the 'influencer' lass was. She smiled a lot and seemed totally worthy of a spot on the panel and apparently an audience with Keir Starmer.

I'm also not sure who the Spiked lass was either but she mostly went down like a bucket of cold sick. Maybe because she wasn't very good at disguising her agenda's well enough while crudely shoehorning them into every answer. She was less subtle than Kirstie Allsopp about lockdowns in a discussion about education and you could see the tumbleweed drifting by in the background. Her only (mild) success seemed to be misrepresenting feminist positions on policing as if they were a retreat, which was utterly disingenuous, but given I've already had my fingers burned once this week by gender politics I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say she was no Claire Fox.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The 'Influencer' was Amy Hart.

Apparently she was on Love Island and Celebs go Dating and made 'political waves' appearing at the Labour conference.

Now I know what you're thinking but...
On her interview with Starmer at the event, Hart said: “I’ve been a supporter of the Labour Party since I was 17, looked at going to university to study politics, I volunteer at my local foodbank and I am a vocal supporter of trade unions.
Splendid. Wish I'd known that while watching the programme but, to be fair, she did mainly just smile a lot. Which is no bad thing.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As for Spiked's latest effort it was Ella Whelan.

Anyone heard of her? No? Me neither.

I rambled on some time recently about right wing populist commentators telling people what they wanted to hear while hiding their true objectives.

Well she was really bad at it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ella Whelan appears on Sky's Press Preview from time to time. She's a pain, but I didn't know that she was one of the Spiked gang although I should have guessed.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A ruddy cheeked lady? Her face kept getting redder the more bullshit she talked which isn't a good look if you write for Spiked.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sorry about the last couple of minutes. I spent them glancing around nervously.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.