Monday 4th October 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 4th October 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 4th October 2021

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G live blog:
At the Labour conference last week a strategist who helped to mastermind the New Zealand Labour party’s landslide win last year said that “relentless positivity” was at the heart of Jacinda Ahern’s electoral success. It is a message that the Labour party (which often sounds like the friend you meet for a drink from time to time who spends the whole night moaning) has yet to absorb. But it helps to explain how Boris Johnson became prime minister, and Rishi Sunak has finally got the memo too.
Similar to what I was saying recently. Constantly talking about what you won't do (such as rejoin the single market) is just so negative and depressing and not what anyone wants to hear, even those who such statements are aimed at, as they clearly prefer wildly optimistic waffle about "sunlit uplands".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So what was Sunak's "optimistic" message?:
he has dialled up the rhetoric, and today he set out a vision for how the UK could become “the most exciting place on the planet”
Actually he said "in the planet", rather than on, which conjured up an image of the entire island plummeting Jules Verne style to the centre of the earth.

Which I guess would be quite exciting, if rather terrifying.

Speaking of terrifying, the smash hit Korean show Squid Game that's topping the most watched charts on Netflix pretty much worldwide at the moment is a little hint, I think, that Britain's place in a rapidly changing world is going to be far lower and far less exciting than our Tory leaders care to imagine. Our backward looking introspection and lack of critical social commentary is very quickly turning us into a country that has little to say that's of interest to anyone outside of our own little bubble.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@gilsey
So what was Sunak's "optimistic" message?:

he has dialled up the rhetoric, and today he set out a vision for how the UK could become “the most exciting place on the planet”

Actually he said "in the planet", rather than on, which conjured up an image of the entire island plummeting Jules Verne style to the centre of the earth.
Yes, that's what I thought too - with a bit of hellfire and brimstone thrown in just to liven things up a bit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: Mon 04 Oct, 2021 2:00 pm So what was Sunak's "optimistic" message?:

Which I guess would be quite exciting, if rather terrifying.

Speaking of terrifying, the smash hit Korean show Squid Game that's topping the most watched charts on Netflix pretty much worldwide at the moment is a little hint, I think, that Britain's place in a rapidly changing world is going to be far lower and far less exciting than our Tory leaders care to imagine. Our backward looking introspection and lack of critical social commentary is very quickly turning us into a country that has little to say that's of interest to anyone outside of our own little bubble.
I expect more and more pieces like that recent NYT one to appear in the foreign press in the near future.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon.

As gigs go, the one to make your heart sink must surely be this one...

Sam Freedman pointed out that either Dorries doesn't know what nepotism means or forgot that she employed both daughters at public expense...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is a good point. Labour could get stuck in just opposing Tory policies rather than pointing out what more could be done. They could also point out the reality of what is happening in London...

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

You'd never have guessed that Jake Berry has interest in commercial property from this embarrassingly lame 'joke'...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, "former minister" is probably revealing a lot there given how awful many of those still on the government front benches are.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Mon 04 Oct, 2021 2:53 pm This is a good point. Labour could get stuck in just opposing Tory policies rather than pointing out what more could be done. They could also point out the reality of what is happening in London...
Will the govt actually put some money into local govt though, without that it's just Cameron's 'Big Society' all over again, isn't it?

Tories might be thinking and talking but that's usually as far as it goes.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Culture secretary says corporation full of people ‘whose mum and dad worked there’
Sadly she's right.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The British Broadcasting Corporation that is.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, some things are true even when etc etc.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is anyone having fun?
It's about time.