Tuesday 5th October 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 5th October 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th October 2021

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

I know we don't need more evidence of the uselessness of Johnson and his govt, but
Q: Do you have a plan to make women and girls more safe?

Yes, says Johnson. They are making streets safer, hiring more police and investing in more street lighting.

But he says he also wants to speed up the criminal justice process.

Q: But the government has cut courts funding. Will you put more money into it?

Johnson says the government is putting money into all services.

Q: The budget has been cut by a quarter in the past decade.

Johnson says more money is being put in. He says more prosecutors are being hired. But problems like the amount of mobile phone evidence that needs to be examined is causing problems.

He says he also wants to increase sentences for rape and violent sexual offences.

Q: Shouldn’t you have a separate women’s minister, instead of expecting the foreign secretary to do it?

Johnson says Liz Truss does an outstanding job.
Street lights, that'll do the trick.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The same street lights run down for years due to government cuts on local council budgets?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22012746/

Brilliant destruction of Andrew Bridgen by an Irish transport expert.

Pointed there by CIF but didn't note the person to thank!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The same Liz Truss that has cut 183M from funding of women's projects?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Johnson apparently saying (if not in quite those words) that rape victims can't expect justice - WTF??
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

While the Tories perform their grotesque pantomine to an audience of insatiate wretches, across the pond a former debased slave of theirs puts all he learned about defending the indefensible on their behalf to good use.

Facebook executive says it's 'ludicrous' to blame Jan. 6 on social media.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/03/medi ... index.html
Clegg's responses and occasional stonewalling prompted Stelter to say, "a part of me feels like I'm interviewing the head of a tobacco company right now." Clegg responded that the comparison is "profoundly false."

"There has to be a reason why a third of the world's population enjoys using these apps," Clegg said.
Ummm...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Windrush activists ‘disgusted’ after being turned away at Tory conference

Two Windrush campaigners have said they felt humiliated and baffled after being refused access to the Conservative party conference in Manchester despite having been granted full accreditation at a cost of £225 each, my colleague Peter Walker reports.
(Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon. Another lie...or as he goes on to say " She was just hopelessly out of her depth in a conversation panel with some big cheese from Pinewood and doesn’t actually know anything." - sounds about right.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah, those halcyon days (barely a decade ago) when the Graun couldn't print enough pro-Clegg puff pieces.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Clegg.
I'll never forget that day that he signalled the start of this hideous and seemingly never-ending downward spiral.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

More on the Windrush story at the Conservative Party Conference -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... conference
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Why should I be the only one depressed? Don't say I never give you anything. Here you go -
‘Bow to the king’: Conservatives kowtow to Boris Johnson

The apparently unassailable Tory leader inspires meek tranquility at his party’s conference
(Guardian)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-johnson
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote: Tue 05 Oct, 2021 8:02 pm Why should I be the only one depressed?
You're not. The sight of these preening louts sneering and laughing in the face of all that's decent and civilised has kinda pissed me off too. From a young age we're fed stories where evil shits get their comeuppance but it's all bollocks. These fuckers are getting away with murder and gleefully rubbing people's noses in it, like something from a Brother's Grimm fairytale before they were sanitised. It's a sickening spectacle that Hieronymous Bosch would struggle to do justice to, but the saddest most depressing thing is that in order to defeat them we're told our only option is to be more like them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Tue 05 Oct, 2021 5:16 pm Clegg.
I'll never forget that day that he signalled the start of this hideous and seemingly never-ending downward spiral.
I'll never forget furiously telling myself I was going to tear up my Lib Dem membership card only to realise I didn't have one as they don't provide one. All I had as a substitute was a laminated conference pass which I (eventually after much effort) chopped up with scissors and flushed down the toilet. Except most of it refused to flush, so I tried again with limited success...I think it took about six or seven flushes and encouragement with a toilet brush before it was all gone. God knows what the poor woman in the flat below thought was going on as the bloke upstairs kept angrily shouting while flushing the toilet.

That's what comes to mind when I think of Clegg. A flushing toilet. He's not an evil or even unpleasant man, just a vain, facile fool. I bet he genuinely believes he's doing good at Facebook.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I used to think that Halfon was - for a Tory - reasonably OK. But this is just awful.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

People usually (not always, but usually) do get their just desserts in the end. It can sometimes take a while, though.

Always think about it this way - what are the Tories going to do once a critical mass of boomers are dead?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm beginning to get that soceity under stress vibe where all must work and contribute for the greater good while we go through this period of adjustment. If enough idiots buy such rhetoric the next few years could be very bad indeed. We could end up under the Khmer Bleu.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes. I thought that society would change for the better as a result of Covid. I was very, very wrong.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And apparently everyone working from home has a peloton...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is that the new plasma TV?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 05 Oct, 2021 10:34 pm People usually (not always, but usually) do get their just desserts in the end. It can sometimes take a while, though.

Always think about it this way - what are the Tories going to do once a critical mass of boomers are dead?
That's not true though is it? I see the Guardian and BBC have a new treasure trove of offshore financial malfeasance. What happened to those accused in the last lot? Fuck all is the answer for 99% of them. They're still sailing the world in fucking great big yachts guzzling Moet or blasting themselves off into space. There are no just desserts for the wicked and greedy, I can count on one hand how many times historically in three thousand years of recorded human history that they've been made to pay.

As for the boomers, I'm not sure they're the problem you think they are, at least not uniquely. You know as well as I do that the older generation voting Tory to keep hold of what they've got has been a phenomenon that's existed for decades.

A major shift may be happening with this generation struggling to get themselves on the 'property ladder' but I've heard it all before.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote: Tue 05 Oct, 2021 11:43 pm Is that the new plasma TV?
Peloton does have a little tv, it's like one of those wheels you put a hamster in but for humans.

French farmers used dogs in big wheels to grind grain, they would jump out of the wheel when they were tired and the next one would jump in, it took years of training. The revolutionary government banned the practice because it was cruel and thousands of dogs ended up being culled as a result.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There's a sizeable number of people who demonstrate by their actions that they certainly don't mind other people dying and don't even mind dying themselves (although they don't think it through that way and, anyway, "it" will never happen to them) as long as they die rich. And the worst of them generally do.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sooner or later we will have people who won't die rich. They'll have the money to pay for the technology and treatments to keep themselves alive.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm having an impossible philosophical discussion with myself.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Apologies. A brief exposure to the Tory conference put me in a shitty mood that has perpetuated throughout the day despite my best efforts resulting in a joyless cynicism that does none of us any good, especially me.

Anyway...

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Brilliant. The philosophy session is over.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.