Tuesday, 12th October 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Tuesday, 12th October 2021

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, 12th October 2021

Post by frog222 »

Bonjour !

This from last week seems to have been put down the memory-hole, again.
Coronavirus report warned of impact on UK four years before pandemic
Exclusive: Report from planning exercise in 2016 alerted government of need to stockpile PPE and set up contact tracing system

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-pandemic

ALL on Hunt's watch I think?

Their excuse for not profiting from Operation Cygnus (Oct2016) was that it was 'only' about flu (cough), but this was definitely about Coronas, from February 2016. ONLY came to light at all from a FOI request , and with this Mob, particularly Gove's filtering of FOI's quite surprising that it got through at all.
In August the government refused to release the file saying it could “lead to loss of public confidence in the government’s and the NHS’ Covid-19 response … based on misinterpretation of the report.”

However, the file was released on Thursday under freedom of information laws to Dr Moosa Qureshi, a clinician campaigning for greater transparency around the government’s preparedness for the pandemic, which has claimed more than 137,417 lives so far, according to the government’s own figures.

Qureshi is posting official documents about pandemic preparation exercises he has obtained so far online.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Tue 12 Oct, 2021 9:07 am
ALL on Hunt's watch I think?
Yes, and he's now Chair of the Committee producing the report, a circumstance neither he nor the MSM seem to have a problem with.
“It was more a reflection of fatalism,” Clark said. “That if you don’t have the prospect of a vaccine being developed, if you think people won’t obey instructions to lockdown for very long, and have a wholly inadequate ability to test, trace and isolate people, that is what you are left with.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... h-failures

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/10/12/fo ... -response/
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Hello there froggers.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Our land-line has been down for the last 3 hours. I didn't realise Brexit meant a literal return to the 70s. Seems to be an issue at the local exchange, affecting quite a large area as far as I can tell. So no broadband :(. I'm stuck with barely there 4G on my mobile for now. I did manage to read about the appalling Covid response before it went down though. Most depressing was the lack of learning from other countries' experience - a very Tory flaw, negligence through arrogance. We're a tragic country indeed.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

In light of the report on the disastrous handling of Covid 19 in this country here are a few examples of the kind of bumbling incompetence that led to so many thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Resisting the closing of large events.

Playing down the severity of the virus.

Resiting the closing of schools.

Claiming masks were dangerous to wear and increased the chance of infection.

Claiming testing and tracing was something only 'less developed nations' needed to do.

Claiming the UK was an 'international exemplar in terms of preparedness' and had plenty of PPE.

And that's just Jenny Harries who got promoted and is now in charge of making sure it doesn't happen again. A woman who claimed children were far more likely to be hit by a car than catch the virus in school, which if true would mean that tens of thousands of children would currently be being mown down on our roads.

It may seem unfair to single out one person given the shambolic response of the government, but Harries backed everything they did, time and time again, claiming to be following the science when in fact she was arrogantly ignoring science that had been established in other parts of the world for decades. She toed the government line, gave them cover, and has now received her reward.

When we have a culture where dangerous fools are being promoted for their loyalty rather than fired for gross incompetence it's difficult to see how any report or enquiry is going to make the slightest bit of difference.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Please lets not forget our heroic and selfless leader "SAVING CHRISTMAS" and then having to act at the eleventh hour anyway.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote: Tue 12 Oct, 2021 2:42 pm Our land-line has been down for the last 3 hours. I didn't realise Brexit meant a literal return to the 70s. Seems to be an issue at the local exchange, affecting quite a large area as far as I can tell. So no broadband :(. I'm stuck with barely there 4G on my mobile for now. I did manage to read about the appalling Covid response before it went down though. Most depressing was the lack of learning from other countries' experience - a very Tory flaw, negligence through arrogance. We're a tragic country indeed.
You have my sympathies, my land line was down and broadband screwed for a fortnight not so long ago and all I was offered in compensation by Post Office Broadband was a measly tenner. Which reminds me I've still got to write an amusingly irate email to whomever it may concern.

Not just a lack of learning but outright arrogant exceptionalism as if the British were a different breed. And not just the Tories, let's not forget the sainted Chris Whitty was against implementing a lockdown because the British public were somehow different and wouldn't put up with it. Of course the possibility exists that he thought we were all a bunch of stupid arseholes incapable of following simple instructions, so a kind of reverse exceptionalism, but regardless of the reason it's an attitude that continues to this day. Other sensible nations vaccinated their teenagers over the Summer before they went back to school, but oh no, Britain had to be different and dither before following suit much too late.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 12 Oct, 2021 3:26 pm Please lets not forget our heroic and selfless leader "SAVING CHRISTMAS" and then having to act at the eleventh hour anyway.
Or insisting schools would remain open then closing them the next day.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Btw yesterday was the 2222th edition of this incarnation of the Daily Politics.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

After a storm earlier this year I had two telephone poles across my drive . After some chainsawing I went to Granville and they gave me an 'Airbox 4G' with many free Giga while the crew got around to the new poles, which took a week or so.

Standard procedure .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon.

Ouch!

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What the fuck does it actually have to do with Frost? As far as I'm aware there's a consent mechanism in the Northern Ireland Protocol giving the Northern Irish Assembly a vote every four years on whether to continue to abide by it. So surely it should be up to them to decide not some bleating English man baby throwing his toys out of the pram because a deal he negotiated and signed is making himself and his boss look like the half-wits they are.

What's also noticeable is the tantrums have grown worse since it's become increasingly apparent that Northern Ireland isn't facing the same difficulties post-brexit as the rest of the UK as a result of them still being in the single market. It's pretty difficult to argue brexit is a success when part of your own country is making a mockery of your delusional assertions.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Let's be honest, Frost has been a joke figure ever since he tucked into that "patriotic" breakfast so the Barclaygraph could swoon over him.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 12 Oct, 2021 8:01 pm Let's be honest, Frost has been a joke figure ever since he tucked into that "patriotic" breakfast so the Barclaygraph could swoon over him.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it was a 'full English'.

Nothing says patriotism like farting and heart disease.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Really all you need to know about Brexit was in that pic of Frost/Johnson/Barnier/VdL when the deal was agreed, Frost & Johnson looking like 2 sacks of spuds and the Europeans immaculate.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re Covid, I've thought from the beginning that 'following the science' went awry partly because Whitty/Vallance et al were second guessing what would be acceptable to the govt, which inevitably was then watered down again.

Jenny Harries is far worse.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Professor says career ‘effectively ended’ by union’s transphobia claims.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... bia-claims

In what kind of fucked up world is a philosophy professor not allowed to express views which others may find challenging?