Thursday 20th November 2014 - Rochester & Strood

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 20th November 2014 - Rochester & Strood

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2h2 hours ago
Hadn't realised how badly Plan A is adrift: Govt aimed to save £19bn on welfare: actual £2.5bn @FlipChartRick http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.co ... delusions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Jonathan Portes
‏@jdportes
@JohnRentoul @FlipChartRick the disability benefit story is even worse that the housing benefits one

Rick ‏@FlipChartRick 2h2 hours ago
@jdportes @JohnRentoul Is it? Say more...

Jonathan Portes
‏@jdportes
@FlipChartRick @JohnRentoul see http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ncan-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … & OBR welfare trends report.
Welfare delusions
http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.co ... delusions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Meanwhile in the real world - the one away from Westminster and media luvvie land - women's refuge services have been cut / lost to the tune of 17% under this government. And they weren't lavish to begin with - the progress that had been made was very hard won. I heard the most depressing piece on Womens Hour this morning. We are going backwards under this lot faster than we could go forward under any government.

The kind of services for women fleeing violence and abuse some local authorities are now offering / dictating (take your pick) included 'dispersed places' - i.e. a room in hostels, hotels with no proper support on hand - and time limited refuge places - e.g. 8 weeks and you're out. One pregnant woman who went into labour in the last week of her time limited support was granted a 2 week extension as a special dispensation - and then she was out. There are, apparently, many more women who are now being forced to become homeless and live on the streets in order to escape abuse (including with their children) or having to stay with the abuser and continue being abused (including with their children).
This is sickening news. A Women's Aid Federation refuge probably saved the lives of me and my son, then only a couple of months old. They certainly gave us a safe place to stay and gave me a good deal of support until we were able to move on to another safe place. I made a life-long friend there, too.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Delighted to see Michael "Onebuttonmonkey" Sylvain here; I have such a crush on his mind.

Re: Thornbury; an easy response would be to say that there are no out of bounds areas for Labour and she was listening to all constituents - but no, she had to blow it and say she was taking "tourist" photos of a working class house.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Meanwhile in the real world - the one away from Westminster and media luvvie land - women's refuge services have been cut / lost to the tune of 17% under this government. And they weren't lavish to begin with - the progress that had been made was very hard won. I heard the most depressing piece on Womens Hour this morning. We are going backwards under this lot faster than we could go forward under any government.

The kind of services for women fleeing violence and abuse some local authorities are now offering / dictating (take your pick) included 'dispersed places' - i.e. a room in hostels, hotels with no proper support on hand - and time limited refuge places - e.g. 8 weeks and you're out. One pregnant woman who went into labour in the last week of her time limited support was granted a 2 week extension as a special dispensation - and then she was out. There are, apparently, many more women who are now being forced to become homeless and live on the streets in order to escape abuse (including with their children) or having to stay with the abuser and continue being abused (including with their children).
This is sickening news. A Women's Aid Federation refuge probably saved the lives of me and my son, then only a couple of months old. They certainly gave us a safe place to stay and gave me a good deal of support until we were able to move on to another safe place. I made a life-long friend there, too.
And there you have it Lady C - they provide safety, support and friendship - essential. That's what the refuges can do. I got so angry listening to this item this morning.

But when we've got IDS determined to contest that a panic room is a spare room all the way through the courts (and should he eventually be deemed unlawful he will probably then pass a law to make it not unlawful ...) this is all part of the same.

And this government wonders why it's got a problem with women??????? I'm surprised they've got any women who support them. They seem to have completely given up on even pretending to understand and work to address some of the issues and inequalities that women face.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2h2 hours ago
Hadn't realised how badly Plan A is adrift: Govt aimed to save £19bn on welfare: actual £2.5bn @FlipChartRick http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.co ... delusions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Jonathan Portes
‏@jdportes
@JohnRentoul @FlipChartRick the disability benefit story is even worse that the housing benefits one

Rick ‏@FlipChartRick 2h2 hours ago
@jdportes @JohnRentoul Is it? Say more...

Jonathan Portes
‏@jdportes
@FlipChartRick @JohnRentoul see http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ncan-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … & OBR welfare trends report.
Welfare delusions
http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.co ... delusions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is all part of why the Opposition can't promise to restore all the cuts and all that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

William Bain retweeted
Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 14m14 minutes ago
interesting - big climbdown - Osborne withdraws legal challenge to EU over bankers' bonus cap - slap in face for City
Or .... has Osborne actually realised how bad, how very bad, it looks for him and his filthy rich cabinet and banker pals to be contesting this - the only EU country to do so - at a time when wages and living standards are falling for everyone else???

I'd like to think he might have cottoned on to that obscene imbalance ever so slightly - even if it only to the terrible PR for a government that supposedly says 'we're all innit together'.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Lucas ‏@IanCLucas 2m2 minutes ago
Amazed that @Tory_Headlines aren't tweeting about Osborne's surrender on #bankersbonuses
Well quite. :roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Rochester byelection should have been a contest between Ukip and the Tories. writes Anne Perkins.

Can someone tell me how Perkins can make this sweeping statement when there are other candidates standing?

Now the MP has put the focus on Labour as the party of the metropolitan elite Perkins continues

She's just pissed off Labour exists - end of. Disappointing article.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... f-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Congratulations to @RR2 on attaining the rank of Speaker of the House

I note that I am now a Whip, which some of my friends would declare apt. It reminds me that, many years ago, my friends and I formed our own Party. It was called the Anti-Political Party Pro-Party-Party Party, or APPPPPP for short – pronounced phonetically.
:whip: :rock: ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Emily Thornberry MP ✔ @EmilyThornberry

I apologise for any offence caused by the 3 flag picture. People should fly the England flag with pride!

6:15 PM - 20 Nov 2014

“I’ve been down in Rochester, you know, and I’ve been tweeting one or two quotes that, what people have said to me on the door step, and images that I’ve seen … and then I came across a house that was covered absolutely from the roof all the way down to the ground with England flags, they couldn’t even see out of the window. It was an amazing image so I took a photograph of it and I put it on Twitter.”

- Thornberry

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... thornberry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:The Rochester byelection should have been a contest between Ukip and the Tories. writes Anne Perkins.

Can someone tell me how Perkins can make this sweeping statement when there are other candidates standing?

Now the MP has put the focus on Labour as the party of the metropolitan elite Perkins continues

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... f-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photo was quite a striking image, and posted without comment. The sneering look at the flag outside the chav house was actually provided by Perkins.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

BBC Radio 4 now (8pm) The Report: Can the UK afford to continue selling off valuable social housing stock on the cheap?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Sir David Omand, former head of GCHQ, tell C4 News not to worry it's pretty little head about just how much the State is spying on the UK population and then abruptly ends the interview by saying he had to "run for a train".

[youtube]olcYdzny_vg[/youtube]
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Spectator reckons Thornberry's tweets have plunged Labour into crisis..

Twitter is great, I use it for finding articles and stuff I wouldn't normally bother with, but by Christ it doesn't half unleash some bollocks at times.

A tweet did remind me of Shapps far worse ''hey plebs, we've saved you a few pence on your ''beer and bingo'' though, so it does have its uses.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Spectator reckons Thornberry's tweets have plunged Labour into crisis..

Twitter is great, I use it for finding articles and stuff I wouldn't normally bother with, but by Christ it doesn't half unleash some bollocks at times.

A tweet did remind me of Shapps far worse ''hey plebs, we've saved you a few pence on your ''beer and bingo'' though, so it does have its uses.
It's all part of the manufactured outrage machine.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Spectator reckons Thornberry's tweets have plunged Labour into crisis..

Anything to distract from UKIP kicking the Tories.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Probably helps to distract from Osborne wasting 100s of 1000s to help protect a sadly far from endangered species, the bloated banker?

Saw a doppelganger of Osborne the other day, in a medium sized Gloucester town, I had to turn away before I laughed, he even had his mean eyes, poor sod.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

When did the public turn into such easily manipulated sheep?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:The Rochester byelection should have been a contest between Ukip and the Tories. writes Anne Perkins.

It's utter pish, of the low standards I now associate with the Graun. BTL there are a few brave souls pointing out how the whole story is fabricated shite soley expedited to slag off Labour as much as possible. Unfortunately, the braying kipper hordes are working themselves up into a feeding frenzy.

It sould almost be worth seeingUKIP in government, no longer able to deride and slag off the other parties (with joyous encouragement from the press) as they would then be The Establishment, and would have to defend every action they took. 5 years of sheer horror followed by the utter disappearance of UKIP and Farago from politics is my best prediction in such a scenario.

Remember the Fibs told everyone they would break the mould/new politics/etc. And look what happened to them...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

See tweets are handy at times, Liam Dutton, weatherman is reporting strong Aurora Borealis lights over Scotland, Northern England and Norn Iron, if living in those areas I would poke my head out of the window, you never know?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

How's this for a thought.

The meeja keep on insisting that UKIP "speaks for ordinary people" (no analysis of UKIP policy ever offered) and that they're taking shedloads of votes from Labour to create a self-fulfilling prophecy that chimes nicely with the "Miliband is a weird useless freak" and the "Labour of the party of Islington millionaires" narratives.

If you can't drive up the Tory vote for Cameron and his misbegotten crew, what better way of trying to keep Labour out of power than by pushing all of the above?

We know that the Graun's jumped the shark, so the above actually fits in nicely with their current fact lite articles and their lack of scrutiny of anything Farage or Cameron shaped. The utter lack of anything objective concerning the FibDems and the constant attempts to rehabilitate those weasels and their weasely leader seems to confirm the direction of travel. Anything to keep Miliband out of power, no matter how ludicrous it is.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:When did the public turn into such easily manipulated sheep?
It isn't the public, they don't give a toss. It is the media, the Guardian in particular is a real problem. It has one agenda, get Dave elected. I have no idea why.

This sort of thing will be ignored, despite their best efforts.
Release the Guardvarks.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I honestly can't see what Thornberry's done wrong. If she had added a sarcy comment then it would be different but she didn't. MSM out of control.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The Welsh government and health care unions have agreed a package for staff in the Welsh NHS.

All staff will be paid a living wage; at least £7.65/hour. The lowest-paid will see an annual increase of up to £470 in their basic wage.

80,000 staff are guaranteed at least a 1% pay rise - the only exceptions are doctors, dentists, and senior managers - and as many if not most of the junior management staff are nursing or administration grades, they will not be exceptions.

This is what can be done if people sit down and negotiate. Simple.

A bit of good news on what has not been a good day for me personally. Had a few tough days and I hope things look up tomorrow.

Nighty night all - those of you staying up, I hope you have watching the Tories (type A) scrap with the other Tories (type B).
Or fascist, whatever.

Bad news for Ed Miliband, however this tedious circus works out.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Nail on head Ernst, was going to watch QT soon, then I realised some twat in the audience would bring up mansion tax and Ed being mauled some ex-Hearsay singer, really can't be arsed.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Nail on head Ernst, was going to watch QT soon, then I realised some twat in the audience would bring up mansion tax and Ed being mauled some ex-Hearsay singer, really can't be arsed.
Don't blame you. I think I'll just keep posting and listen to a bit of Steve Reich.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:The Welsh government and health care unions have agreed a package for staff in the Welsh NHS.

All staff will be paid a living wage; at least £7.65/hour. The lowest-paid will see an annual increase of up to £470 in their basic wage.

80,000 staff are guaranteed at least a 1% pay rise - the only exceptions are doctors, dentists, and senior managers - and as many if not most of the junior management staff are nursing or administration grades, they will not be exceptions.

This is what can be done if people sit down and negotiate. Simple.

A bit of good news on what has not been a good day for me personally. Had a few tough days and I hope things look up tomorrow.

Nighty night all - those of you staying up, I hope you have watching the Tories (type A) scrap with the other Tories (type B).
Or fascist, whatever.

Bad news for Ed Miliband, however this tedious circus works out.
That's great news. Thanks for the info.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Ephemerhid

Night. :sleep:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:See tweets are handy at times, Liam Dutton, weatherman is reporting strong Aurora Borealis lights over Scotland, Northern England and Norn Iron, if living in those areas I would poke my head out of the window, you never know?
I recommend @virtualastro for astrological photos. Here are some he's RTd tonight:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Nail on head Ernst, was going to watch QT soon, then I realised some twat in the audience would bring up mansion tax and Ed being mauled some ex-Hearsay singer, really can't be arsed.
Virtually totalitarian.

Well, no, but yes.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I'm almost glad that the TV channels in my Miraflores, Costa Mijas rental apartment seem to be limited to Sky football and German and French news programmes. Down to 16% battery on tablet so just to say thanks Flythenest for keeping me sane. 12/12 and recovery of PC from storage getting closer! Night all.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Oh FFS, Thornberry has resigned from the SC.

*sigh* - all because the fucking media made a huge story out of very little :toss:

Edit to add from the count that the Cons have already declared there is no chance they will win this by-election.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Thornberry apparently resigned.

Dear O Lord.

What a load of shit.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:Oh FFS, Thornberry has resigned from the SC.

*sigh* - all because the fucking media made a huge story out of very little :toss:
What? Jesus, pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it, tomorrow's story guaranteed..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Is it too much to ask for someone high up in the Labour Party to have said "this is a load of cock, we'll ignore and it will soon go away" limp response IMO?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You can't win with this sort of shit.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Is it too much to ask for someone high up in the Labour Party to have said "this is a load of cock, we'll ignore and it will soon go away" limp response IMO?
Chris Bryant on Sky saying she was right to resign because it showed disrespect to the voters of R&S

Fucking hell, it's front page of the Scum ! The same fucking rag who was reported this week for having referred to their readers as plebs !!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Squirrel! Not only that, but a sneering, metropolitan elite one.

R&S? Don't worry about that, concentrate on the main news. How Miliband has no control etc etc.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Best thing I've read on this so far.
How can you charge the bedroom tax on a stalked woman’s panic room?
Under the bedroom tax regime, a panic room built to keep a woman and her son safe from abuse has been deemed a “spare bedroom”.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... panic-room
Earlier on I made the mistake of looking in on mumsnet to see what they made of this appalling story ... let's just say that too many of the posters need to start reading articles like the above one before they comment.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

N'nite @Ephe. Sleep well and dream sweetly. Thanks for the good news about pay rises within the Welsh NHS! Hope the next days are better for you.

Re: Emily Thornberry. She didn't make any comments with that photo, the offence (if there really is any) has been taken as a result of the press picking up on the pic and making up their own story about it. Wish that her committee resignation would be refused :(
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Osborne Uses Ukip And Rochester By-Election To Hide Humiliating EU Climbdown
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... _hp_ref=tw
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
pk1 wrote:Oh FFS, Thornberry has resigned from the SC.

What? Jesus, pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it, tomorrow's story guaranteed..
What's saddest is that Thornbury was excellent in her brief and regularly roasted the Tories - all the more reason to stoke up the witch hunt I guess.

Me? I'd have said three St George flags is a bit OTT. Because it is. In my ward and other wards I've campaigned in, the only houses flying that flag outside of the World Cup are those of BNP voters. Full stop. Now if anyone wants to tell me that my experience is somehow Islington middle class intelligensia, they can argue it out with me, as I live in the north west, in an area where the BNP atrracted votes, and there was always a pretty direct relationship between flag flying and fascism. And if people don't like that, then they should come and live round here and learn for themselves.

I'm not a London based political wonk, I am a reasonably normal (although probably abnormally left wing) bloke who does the sort of door knocking and chatting to people that all the wankers on Twitter moaning about Thornbury, and all the UKIP wankers on the Groan and all the meeja - public school, middle class, faux intellectual - wankers blowing this up as a big deal would never dream of doing as it would involve them meeting people outside their pathetic and social meeja bubbles in which they dwell, feeding off each other and telling each other just how 'real' they are in comparison to Thornbury.

At least Emily Thornbury was there, puting in shifts, as opposed to eating Pot Noodles and posting shite to other Pot Noodle shite posting non entities.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam @faisalislam · 8m 8 minutes ago
This is not shooting yourself in the foot... This is amputating your leg because you lightly stubbed your toe. Extraordinary.
Yes. It is about the resignation.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

People, if we didn't know already, there is a War on in this country and the only hope we have of drawing even the faintest line is for Labour to win the Eection in May. If they don't, then we had better get out of this place because we are all dead.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour · 8m 8 minutes ago
Has anyone ever resigned in British politics for taking a photograph ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Someone needs to tell them (Labour parliamentary bods) to calm down a bit - steady their nerves. And not in a patronising Empty Dave way. Looks like a real case of the jitters from where I'm sitting.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour · 8m 8 minutes ago
Has anyone ever resigned in British politics for taking a photograph ?
Short memory Mr Wintour. Sure there was a guy who took photos with his dick hanging out recently & he took a damn sight longer to resign !!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 30s 31 seconds ago
Lab sources say Miliband 'absolutely determined not to let anything distract the party" from mission to move from Opposition to Govt

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 4m 4 minutes ago
Sounds to me v much like Thornberry didn't jump, she was pushed. Her Guardian defence must've sent an already furious Miliband off the scale

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 11m 11 minutes ago
Labour source update: "Ed and Emily had a second conversation. She thought the right thing to do was to resign. Ed agreed."

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 14m 14 minutes ago
Tristram Hunt on #newsnight: "It's very sad to lose a colleague but we are v much in favour of strong expressions of pride"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 30s 31 seconds ago
Lab sources say Miliband 'absolutely determined not to let anything distract the party" from mission to move from Opposition to Govt

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 4m 4 minutes ago
Sounds to me v much like Thornberry didn't jump, she was pushed. Her Guardian defence must've sent an already furious Miliband off the scale

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 11m 11 minutes ago
Labour source update: "Ed and Emily had a second conversation. She thought the right thing to do was to resign. Ed agreed."

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh · 14m 14 minutes ago
Tristram Hunt on #newsnight: "It's very sad to lose a colleague but we are v much in favour of strong expressions of pride"
Well it sends a message, don't piss off Ed by tweeting random shit.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh!

Academy chain drops plan to outsource non-teaching staff

http://academiesweek.co.uk/academy-chai ... ing-staff/
The country’s largest academy chain has confirmed it will not continue with plans to outsource its non-teaching roles.

Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) announced earlier this year it wanted to outsource non-teaching roles in a contract worth up to £400m, with PriceWaterhouse Coopers (PwC) named as the preferred bidder.

AET, a charitable trust operating 76 schools in England, came under fire from Ofsted in September when the inspectorate said too many of its pupils were not receiving a good enough education. The trust is currently “paused” by the EFA, meaning it is unable to take-over or open any schools.
I suspect that last sentence is the reason - I would imagine the DfE said to them "As you're failing to run your schools properly, there's no way we're going to let you do this".
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.