Monday 24th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Monday 24th November 2014

Post by Spacedone »

And the 'Really Desperate To Find Something Negative To Write About The EU' award goes to....

Price of oven gloves and marigolds to rise because of 'bonkers' EU
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rs-EU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will this nightmare never end? I'm off to vote UKIP right now!

And #CameronMustGo is still trending on Twitter.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Monday 24th November 2014

Post by Spacedone »

Good luck to the NHS workers who are striking again today and then working to rule until next Sunday. None of us want to do it but we've been left with no choice now.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Jack Monroe speaks the truth. Daily Mail outraged.

Outrage at Left-wing blogger's sick tweet saying Cameron should resign for using his 'dead son' as a front to privatise NHS
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-NHS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last night, Tory backbenchers lined up to express their disgust at the ‘distasteful’ and ‘sick’ comments, and the idea that the Prime Minister would use his son for such a purpose.

Mr Cameron has previously spoken about his admiration for the NHS and how it helped care for his son.
Indeed he has... and on every occasion it has been done as an attempt to either detoxify the Tories and reduce the protest when they started privatising everything or he used it to avoid answering questions on what he was doing to the NHS and/or disabled people.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Ed Miliband: Rogue job agencies that exploit workers will be shut down
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed ... es-4682416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour leader will say: “I believe the basic bargain of our country is that hard work should be rewarded. But too many people face insecurity, exploitation and unfairness at work. It will be the mission of the next ­government to change this.”

Mr Miliband aims to close an EU law loophole, called the Swedish Derogation, that lets agency workers be paid less than permanent employees doing the same job. He will also ban job ­agencies recruiting only from abroad and will bring in a licensing scheme to force job firms to clean up their act.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Oh and before I forget... Good morning everyone!

Right that's it for now. I'm off for a haircut...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Glad to hear Benefit Tourism being demythed, shame Humphrys is acting like a tory stooge.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

This is interesting:
Max Mosley offered to give Labour close to £1m for campaign fund to attack David Cameron over links to Andy Coulson
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78719.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does say he didn't hear back from Labour and Labour neither accepted nor rejected the offer.

& those three dogs I was worried about meeting - what an absolute delight they were.
Three terrific old boys, all rescued when the new neighbours we were meeting lived in Spain.
All terrier types [one a Spanish water dog mix ?], a little nervy because of the way they'd been treated early on in their lives but very gentle and human friendly.
One sat like a cat, being cuddled for hours, on my husband's lap.

The new neighbours were friendly, open, hospitable but the husband was very anti-Hollande [they'd also lived in France]. I kept quiet until he said that IDS should 'burn' the whole social security budget, scrap it completely then both my friend from up the lane and myself responded, but politely. It's hard to savage someone when you've just supped and scoffed at their table !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

From the Indie link I posted:

''The Labour Party is currently struggling to match Tory funding to fight the next general election, with insiders estimating it has currently raised less than half of what might be needed to fund a potent campaign.''

This is worrying.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. Apologies for this so early - copying my last post from yesterday over - Ukip are establishing a youth movement .... how extra depressing is that.
Ukip plans Russell Brand style 'purple revolution' to attract younger voters
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ger-voters
The party has already almost doubled its membership among the under-30s in the past nine months, writes Caroline Wheeler.

Now it is launching its own youth movement, known as the Purple Revolution, to attract even more young members.

In what might be mistaken for a bizarre political alliance, Ukip has adopted the quirky lettering which appears on the cover of comedian Russell Brand’s new book Revolution for its own logo.

Like self-styled political activist Brand, Ukip has turned letters in the word REVOLUTION into mirror writing to read LOVE.

Ukip’s new recruitment bid, being bankrolled by millionaire donor Arron Banks, has its own website and offers those who sign up to its newsletter a free Purple Revolution Nigel Farage T-shirt.

Under the slogan “Love Britain Again” the website has a section entitled “Farage Gold” featuring some of the leader’s most famous speeches and exchanges. It even features the party’s new signature “victory” hand gesture, made famous by Winston Churchill....
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:From the Indie link I posted:

''The Labour Party is currently struggling to match Tory funding to fight the next general election, with insiders estimating it has currently raised less than half of what might be needed to fund a potent campaign.''

This is worrying.
They need to think how they can convert some of that massive tweet energy into money. I thought the American guru was supposed to be helping with crowd funding type strategies?
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Morning.

After a career in politics, IDS became a swimming coach. One day a group of children turned up and he told them he had a great new way to get them to swim. To the children's horror he picked each one up and pitched them into the pool. There was much screaming and thrashing whilst IDS looked upon them serenely. Eventually, it all went quiet. A heart stopping moment later, a single gasping child broke the surface of the water.
"Aha!" Said IDS, "I told you it was possible!"
"But Sir," said the child, Ashen faced. "I'm standing on the bodies of the others."
"Still counts," shrugged IDS.
george guessing
Backbencher

Post by george guessing »

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Alex-Folkes ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning all ,
Another burgeoning Lib Dem scandal
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Record numbers of working families in poverty due to low-paid jobs
Most taking up jobs are trapped on less than living wage, finds report by Joseph Rowntree Foundation

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... foundation
I see Ephemerid is posting some great comments BTL. One para from her really stood out for me (apols and thanks in advance Ephemerid for reposting it here:
We now have more people in work claiming benefits than we have people out of work claiming benefits for the first time ever.
We are spending £5 Billion more on Housing Benefit than we were in 2010, and we are spending more on tax credits and benefits-in-kind for working people than at any time in our history.
We are spending a fortune on bungs to employers to use workfare people (up to £3,000 each), we are paying the work programme provider fees, we are paying the claimants benefits - and employers get their work done for free, don't contribute NI, don't pay wages, and the tax take falls as the spend increases.
I'm going to try and be ready to repeat some of these utterly shocking things on the doorsteps as and when necessary.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Morning.

After a career in politics, IDS became a swimming coach. One day a group of children turned up and he told them he had a great new way to get them to swim. To the children's horror he picked each one up and pitched them into the pool. There was much screaming and thrashing whilst IDS looked upon them serenely. Eventually, it all went quiet. A heart stopping moment later, a single gasping child broke the surface of the water.
"Aha!" Said IDS, "I told you it was possible!"
"But Sir," said the child, Ashen faced. "I'm standing on the bodies of the others."
"Still counts," shrugged IDS.
I've thanked you for that DHP - but it's actually horrifying because it's so close to the truth.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. Apologies for this so early - copying my last post from yesterday over - Ukip are establishing a youth movement .... how extra depressing is that.
The party has already almost doubled its membership among the under-30s in the past nine months, writes Caroline Wheeler.

Now it is launching its own youth movement, known as the Purple Revolution, to attract even more young members.

In what might be mistaken for a bizarre political alliance, Ukip has adopted the quirky lettering which appears on the cover of comedian Russell Brand’s new book Revolution for its own logo.

Like self-styled political activist Brand, Ukip has turned letters in the word REVOLUTION into mirror writing to read LOVE.

Ukip’s new recruitment bid, being bankrolled by millionaire donor Arron Banks, has its own website and offers those who sign up to its newsletter a free Purple Revolution Nigel Farage T-shirt.

Under the slogan “Love Britain Again” the website has a section entitled “Farage Gold” featuring some of the leader’s most famous speeches and exchanges. It even features the party’s new signature “victory” hand gesture, made famous by Winston Churchill....
How does Brand feel about that? I don't follow Brand - is he a UKIP fan?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

george guessing wrote:http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Alex-Folkes ... story.html

Morning all ,
Another burgeoning Lib Dem scandal
Morning George,
We will have to wait and see how this develops I think. Alex Folkes has posted his own account on his blog - which, if true, is a ghastly situation for him to have been put in and he has been treated very shabbily. With the council refusing to supply the evidence for their assertions - to him or his solicitor - the situation is at stalemate and very unclear.
The truth about why I resigned and the claims being made against me
http://lansonboy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11 ... d-and.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. Apologies for this so early - copying my last post from yesterday over - Ukip are establishing a youth movement .... how extra depressing is that.

:lol: Someone should ask him that. I have no idea what the answer might be.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Former prime minister Gordon Brown is preparing to announce that he is standing down as an MP, reports say.

Brown, 63, will soon confirm that he will quit at the general election in May, after playing a key role in the Scottish independence referendum campaign, sources have said.

The Labour MP has focused on charity work and his role as UN special envoy for global education since he resigned as prime minister in 2010.

An ally told the Sunday Mirror: “Gordon has confirmed to friends that he will stand down at the election in May.

“He wants to go out on a high after effectively salvaging the campaign to keep the UK together in September. He will focus on his charity work.”

Brown was first elected to parliament in 1983 and was prime minister from 2007 to 2010 after being chancellor from 1997 to 2007.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... orts-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only the G though - no confirmation from anyone with a name, only "an ally". We don't know who's ally.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
The "Ukip Youth" has a certain ring to it but "the purple revolution" - or even worse, "the purpleshirts" sound a bit camp to me. :)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:How does Brand feel about that? I don't follow Brand - is he a UKIP fan?
The "Ukip Youth" has a certain ring to it but "the purple revolution" - or even worse, "the purpleshirts" sound a bit camp to me. :)
Going by his Trews output I imagine Brand's not impressed at all.

"Purple shirts" is asking for an apt typo.
george guessing
Backbencher

Post by george guessing »

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Alex-Folkes ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's his side of the story
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The new poor: A third of young people are now living in poverty – while pensioners are better off than ever
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 78722.html
Another group that the Tories - and Lib Dems - have alienated, rubbished and demonised. Taken away their Education Support Allowance, made them stack shelves and do all sorts of other unpaid work, told them they lack the ambition, motivation and skills to get jobs, told them they shouldn't have housing benefit support in future, told them they have to pay £9,000 a year for a university education and get themselves into debt - without the jobs and support at the other end, and as part of a financial system that doesn't add up and actually puts the government more in debt. Little or no prospect of being able to afford a home of their own. And there's far more than that for them to be bloody angry about.

Makes me think Farage and co are, once again depressingly, not so daft in deciding to set up a youth movement.

Come on Labour - offer some hope - it's desparately needed.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Spacedone wrote:Jack Monroe speaks the truth. Daily Mail outraged.

Outrage at Left-wing blogger's sick tweet saying Cameron should resign for using his 'dead son' as a front to privatise NHS
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-NHS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last night, Tory backbenchers lined up to express their disgust at the ‘distasteful’ and ‘sick’ comments, and the idea that the Prime Minister would use his son for such a purpose.

Mr Cameron has previously spoken about his admiration for the NHS and how it helped care for his son.
Indeed he has... and on every occasion it has been done as an attempt to either detoxify the Tories and reduce the protest when they started privatising everything or he used it to avoid answering questions on what he was doing to the NHS and/or disabled people.
I'm far from Ms Monroe's biggest fan (the Graun's constantly pushing her forward as their poverty poster girl got on my wick) but I'm with her all the way on this one. She is, predictably, catching masses of abuse on Twitter and shrugging it off; Sarah Wollaston felt the need to voice her disapproval, which was disappointing.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:How does Brand feel about that? I don't follow Brand - is he a UKIP fan?
It would actually be 'the Purple T-shirts' - even worse. :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: :lol: Someone should ask him that. I have no idea what the answer might be.
Going by his Trews output I imagine Brand's not impressed at all.

"Purple shirts" is asking for an apt typo.
:lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 7m7 minutes ago
CON drops & LAB lead widens with Populus online - the first full poll after "White Van" gate
Lab 36 (=) Con 31 (-2), LD 9 (=), UKIP 15 (+1)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning All!

Good to see the focus on Cameron's (lack of) achievements for a change.

BUT it's Osborne who should be in the spotlight in coming weeks. Many rumours out there suggesting his Autumn Statement a week on Wednesday should forecast the structural deficit rising. How will he deal with this? Fix the "independent" OBR? Lie? Engineer a terrorist incident to coincide with it?

Does anyone know where to find good data and commentary on this? It's the big one isn't it? I think some people have genuinely been persuaded that we have to suffer all this to reduce the deficit. If that driver has gone, I wonder what they'll think.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:
Former prime minister Gordon Brown is preparing to announce that he is standing down as an MP, reports say.

Brown, 63, will soon confirm that he will quit at the general election in May, after playing a key role in the Scottish independence referendum campaign, sources have said.

The Labour MP has focused on charity work and his role as UN special envoy for global education since he resigned as prime minister in 2010.

An ally told the Sunday Mirror: “Gordon has confirmed to friends that he will stand down at the election in May.

“He wants to go out on a high after effectively salvaging the campaign to keep the UK together in September. He will focus on his charity work.”

Brown was first elected to parliament in 1983 and was prime minister from 2007 to 2010 after being chancellor from 1997 to 2007.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... orts-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only the G though - no confirmation from anyone with a name, only "an ally". We don't know who's ally.
The story was in the Scotsman n Saturday and has been rewritten daily - despite there having been no official confirmation. The Nat comments btl have to be seen to be believed. :roll:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3613379
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark this down in your diaries - a G editorial supportive of Ed / Labour's policies.
The Guardian view on low pay and migrant workers: better pay and fairer workplaces would help to beat Ukip
An overlooked report shows that employers trying to fill low-paid jobs draw migrants to the UK

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -beat-ukip
It also has some useful information and suggestions in it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Another thing on the economy.

I just reread Osborne's Mais Lecture, where he said he would cut the bulk of the structural deficit over the course of the Parliament and maintain the AAA rating.

Well, I note that when rubbishing Labour, he focused on GDP per capita rather than simple GDP. So, entirely valid to shove this back at him.

So, where can we find up to the date data on the structural deficit? And on GDP per capita? To get out there over the next week.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Another thing on the economy.

I just reread Osborne's Mais Lecture, where he said he would cut the bulk of the structural deficit over the course of the Parliament and maintain the AAA rating.

Well, I note that when rubbishing Labour, he focused on GDP per capita rather than simple GDP. So, entirely valid to shove this back at him.

So, where can we find up to the date data on the structural deficit? And on GDP per capita? To get out there over the next week.
Danny Blanchflower would be the man for this.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

StephenDolan wrote:

Thanks I've Tweeted him and Jonathan Portes ;-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Great. I suspect I'll have to venture onto Twitter in the coming months in preparation for the GE.

In advance of the last Autumn Statement prior to the GE it's worthwhile 'marking' the chancellor against what he stated he would achieve.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budg ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I thought the GDP per capita would be easy to find. The IMF release a lot of material on this. If you look at the attached link, however, you'll see the UK is the only G7 country still shaded as an estimate for 2012. Leaves me wondering when the UK last issued definitive data on this:

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo ... C&grp=0&a=

Very curious.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheNational_NewScottishNewspaper.jpg
TheNational_NewScottishNewspaper.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 27707 times
Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 11h11 hours ago
New Scottish daily newspaper launches with governing party urging public to buy it. Strange times. RT @RossMcCaff
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
New Scottish daily newspaper launches with governing party urging public to buy it. Strange times. RT @RossMcCaff

I wonder if the Scots will swallow a paper covered front to back in government propaganda.

Every story on that front page could have come straight from an SNP leaflet.

Putin must be proud to see Scotland copying his best moves.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:

I thought the GDP per capita would be easy to find. The IMF release a lot of material on this. If you look at the attached link, however, you'll see the UK is the only G7 country still shaded as an estimate for 2012. Leaves me wondering when the UK last issued definitive data on this:

Very curious.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.00.02.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.00.02.png (29.81 KiB) Viewed 27699 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I wonder if the Scots will swallow a paper covered front to back in government propaganda.

I heard mutterings over the weekend about a new pro-independence paper being launched today & that is clearly it.

How fucking depressing :(
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

IMHO People can make their own mind up as to the manner and context PM mentions his sadly deceased son;of course he has been consistent as he did so during his short life.He mentions it,he brings into the public forum,he utilises it as a method of gainsaying the very thought that he would enact policies that do harm to the NHS and the disabled.I think Monroe has falling into the trap set by her tweet which further diverts attention.Personally,I do think it is cynical and I detest it as a rather obvious tactic to stifle debate.

PS if you can find any logic in my preceding guff,do not let me know because I'm struggling.Peace and Love
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Very curious.
It's fine, the deficit is going to be cleared by crowdfunding:

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/11/24/geo ... ckstarter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... 10222.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david-cameron-nhs-strikes-twitter_n_6210222
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nice use of alternative media by Stella Creasy to get to the heart and ears of normal (for want of a better word) people
Guest comment: Buyers and sellers are being ripped off by agents

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/m ... -by-agents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning all
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Stephen

You should get on Twitter right now. Cameron is getting a proper pasting :twisted:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

StephenDolan wrote:

Wren-Lewis will be publishing something soon, according to his blog, don't know whether it'll address your point, but it will be worth reading.
Which brings us to George Osborne. I have just finished the first draft of a paper that appraises the coalition’s macroeconomic policy, and an interesting question that arises from that is why the coalition went for austerity despite the liquidity trap.
http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

No, no it is only Government propaganda if it is on the BBC or in the 'English' papers, The National will be completely free of bias obviously.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... 10222.html

david-cameron-nhs-strikes-twitter_n_6210222
Not sure huffpost have quite understood #cameronmustgo though. Him 'stepping down' isn't what we're looking for.
Maybe wilful misunderstanding.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Fraser Nelson seems to have a lot of that data to hand ;)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

IMHO People can make their own mind up as to the manner and context PM mentions his sadly deceased son;of course he has been consistent as he did so during his short life.He mentions it,he brings into the public forum,he utilises it as a method of gainsaying the very thought that he would enact policies that do harm to the NHS and the disabled.I think Monroe has falling into the trap set by her tweet which further diverts attention.Personally,I do think it is cynical and I detest it as a rather obvious tactic to stifle debate.

PS if you can find any logic in my preceding guff,do not let me know because I'm struggling.Peace and Love
I think it's worth re-posting the link to Alex Andreou's blog: "We need to talk about Ivan" http://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... bout-ivan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AS at the G has highlighted this by Alistair Darling, FT has a paywall so I'll repeat AS' extract.
You can get 8 articles a month on the FT free for registering.
Plans to give Scotland full power over income tax would increase borrowing costs for the entire UK and end in “floods of tears”, Alistair Darling, the former chancellor, has predicted.

The explosive intervention by Mr Darling, who led the “Better Together” campaign against independence, comes days before Lord Smith of Kelvin unveils a cross-party deal on devolution for Scotland ...

“It seems that the entire principle of pooling and sharing risks, one of the strengths of the UK and all successful monetary unions, is being undermined,” [Darling] writes.

If all income tax is devolved, people in Scotland will not pay directly towards “quintessential” UK services such as defence, financial and social protection, he argues, weakening the ties that bind the UK’s member nations.

“For the first time in 300 years, a UK government would no longer have control over its power to raise income taxes,” he says. “It could be left in a position where it determines the rate of income tax only to find it impossible to implement in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.”

Bondholders would question whether the UK could raise income tax if needed and would therefore charge more to lend, “hitting everyone throughout the UK”.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

One of those Monday teases

Mike Smithson retweeted
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 17m17 minutes ago
The first Ashcroft National Poll since the Rochester & Strood by-election makes interesting reading. Here at 4pm with commentary @ConHome