Monday 24th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 24th November 2014

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That could be read a variety of ways after the Populus poll......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

#CameronMustGo: Twitter users decry David Cameron's record
British coalition government’s record on the economy, NHS and employment criticised as social media users challenge PM

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ons-record
The prime minister, David Cameron, has spent the weekend trending on Twitter, though not in a manner he would like.

More than 180,000 tweets were sent over the weekend using #CameronMustGo, with many venting their fury at the coalition government’s record.

Changes made to the NHS, the bedroom tax and the government’s economic record were among the policy areas over which he was taken to task by Twitter users. Prominent among those using the hashtag were the writer and columnist Owen Jones, the protest group UK Uncut and the thinktank Labour Left...
Editing to add: ah, I see, no comments facility.
Working on the wild side.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Former prime minister Gordon Brown is preparing to announce that he is standing down as an MP, reports say.

Brown, 63, will soon confirm that he will quit at the general election in May, after playing a key role in the Scottish independence referendum campaign, sources have said.

The Labour MP has focused on charity work and his role as UN special envoy for global education since he resigned as prime minister in 2010.

An ally told the Sunday Mirror: “Gordon has confirmed to friends that he will stand down at the election in May.

“He wants to go out on a high after effectively salvaging the campaign to keep the UK together in September. He will focus on his charity work.”

Brown was first elected to parliament in 1983 and was prime minister from 2007 to 2010 after being chancellor from 1997 to 2007.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... orts-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's only the G though - no confirmation from anyone with a name, only "an ally". We don't know who's ally.
The story was in the Scotsman n Saturday and has been rewritten daily - despite there having been no official confirmation. The Nat comments btl have to be seen to be believed. :roll:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3613379
Afternoon all.
I read the Scotsman ,but the hate filled drivel being posted about Gordon Brown turned my stomach,and made me very much wish that there had been a yes vote.
All posted by nats crying for a fairer,better Scotland because they are,well,fairer and better.I can honestly say that I hate the whole bunch of them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Beth Rigby @BethRigby · 35m 35 minutes ago
Paterson wants PM to commit to invoking article 50 of Lisbon treaty in manifesto. But majority voters want 2 remain part of EU #centreground
Cameron needs to be wearing spikes on his soles - he's being pushed towards an EU exit so swiftly - he needs something to help him put the brakes on.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:Just in case you thought the Storm In A Tweetcup was over, Frank Field steps in to rake it all over again. Apparently this is 'the most serious thing that has happened' to the party. Just in case you thought that was, say, the Iraq War.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78724.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If anybody but Frank Field had said that, it might even be vaguely noteworthy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Beth Rigby retweeted
Ben Bradshaw @BenPBradshaw · 2h 2 hours ago
Dear Europhobes if UK left, we'd still be bound by free movement in return for market access, just as Switzerland & Norway are, with no say.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. Apologies for this so early - copying my last post from yesterday over - Ukip are establishing a youth movement .... how extra depressing is that.
Ukip plans Russell Brand style 'purple revolution' to attract younger voters
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ger-voters
The party has already almost doubled its membership among the under-30s in the past nine months, writes Caroline Wheeler.

Now it is launching its own youth movement, known as the Purple Revolution, to attract even more young members.

In what might be mistaken for a bizarre political alliance, Ukip has adopted the quirky lettering which appears on the cover of comedian Russell Brand’s new book Revolution for its own logo.

Like self-styled political activist Brand, Ukip has turned letters in the word REVOLUTION into mirror writing to read LOVE.

Ukip’s new recruitment bid, being bankrolled by millionaire donor Arron Banks, has its own website and offers those who sign up to its newsletter a free Purple Revolution Nigel Farage T-shirt.

Under the slogan “Love Britain Again” the website has a section entitled “Farage Gold” featuring some of the leader’s most famous speeches and exchanges. It even features the party’s new signature “victory” hand gesture, made famous by Winston Churchill....
:shock: :evil: :toss: :sick:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've just returned from a routine check-up. The doctor said he wished everyone had my blood pressure - it's excellent - always a bit below average. I don't own a car & walk everywhere; maybe that's the reason. It's certainly not hereditary - high blood pressure runs in my family.

I stayed away from the news all day yesterday - I don't understand all the things I've been reading. I hope some of the things I read below the line are from people paid to write those things. Regular people aren't usually that ugly. Regardless, I minimise my exposure to it.

Let me make myself clear - disagreements are fine - differences of opinion are to be expected - intelligent people, people who've had different experiences in their lives, will disagree with each other from time to time.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Beth Rigby @BethRigby · 35m 35 minutes ago
Paterson wants PM to commit to invoking article 50 of Lisbon treaty in manifesto. But majority voters want 2 remain part of EU #centreground
Cameron needs to be wearing spikes on his soles - he's being pushed towards an EU exit so swiftly - he needs something to help him put the brakes on.
Oh, that'll be the Lisbon Treaty where Gordon Brown, according to the people who really, really know this stuff; apparently gave more powers to the EU and bound us in forever?

Just checking...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

UK business outlook strong but at 1-year low, says Markit Economics

:lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman · 3 mins3 minutes ago
@election_data @wallaceme special type of leftwing troll (not MP) who thinks that you deserve to be belittled as right wing woman.

How come when she's on the "commentator" news circuit no one ever introduces her as "right wing commentator" ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 7m7 minutes ago
CON drops & LAB lead widens with Populus online - the first full poll after "White Van" gate
Lab 36 (=) Con 31 (-2), LD 9 (=), UKIP 15 (+1)
:clap: :clap: :clap:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Cameron Faces NHS Strikes And Calls To Resign

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not the headline. Had to scroll down the page to find it, but I suppose owt is better than nowt.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Miliband's dividing line with the Tories on workers' rights
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ers-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By adopting this stance, Miliband has carved a potent dividing line with the Conservatives. Rather than offering greater protection to workers in what is one of the least regulated labour markets in the developed world, the Tories are proposing further liberalisation, including the full implementation of the Beecroft proposals (such as no-fault dismissal or "hire and fire") and withdrawal from the EU social chapter, the document that guarantees workers paid holidays, paternity and maternity leave, and part-time workers the same rights as their full-time counterparts.
Question: Are the Tories officially on record as saying they will do all of those things?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheNational_NewScottishNewspaper.jpg

I wonder if the Scots will swallow a paper covered front to back in government propaganda.

Every story on that front page could have come straight from an SNP leaflet.

Putin must be proud to see Scotland copying his best moves.
No, no it is only Government propaganda if it is on the BBC or in the 'English' papers, The National will be completely free of bias obviously.
It seems an odd situation - it's produced by the publishers of the Herald and Sunday Herald. The latter declared itself pro-independence, and you won't find many pro-union pieces (or comments) in the former. So why bother to launch a new paper, initially for just 5 days? I wouldn't have thought it possible to decide whether it is viable in such a short time.

The headline in the Herald reads
The National launches: editor says it'll fly indy flag, but won't be SNP mouthpiece
Since the SNP are the mouthpiece for all things related to independence, this goal will be, to say the least, difficult. :?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... 1416820216
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The infestation of the UKIP trolls continues apace at the G. They are blind to fact, deaf to reason, and now that they have a youth division with their own shirts and salute, how long before we start hearing "Seig Nige"?

Little Mr.Toad will save us all. Pint in hand, fag in gob, bum not on seat in the EU, leaving his new pet Tories to explain what his non-policies are on the Bullingdon Broadcasting Corporation at any opportunity.

#CameronMustGo trending 4th on the planet and a Number One Hit in the UK for 24 hours so far, people from Podemos and other parties Tweeting their support, The Deputy Prime Minister finally emerging from hibernation to talk crap and demonstrate that you don't have to be an addict to be in utter denial, the NHS and firefighters on strike, and Frank Field opening his gob yet again as he always does and instead of thinking the unthinkable he's saying what he and he alone is thinking and it's all wrong as usual.

SNAFU, as my RAF father used to say. Situation Normal All Fucked Up.

This country is the pits. The politicians are mostly mad, bad, and dangerous with a few notable exceptions. People are angry and pissed off and poorer than they ever were in living memory and our leaders and our putative leaders squabble over a Tweet, with the connivance of a media which is pratting about not doing the job it should do but doing the bidding of vested interests.

HindleA is struggling - so am i. Millions of us are. I am finding it hard to contain my rage. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Steve Bassam ‏@SteveTheQuip 48s49 seconds ago
#LordsQs & peers grill Ld Freud over Universal Credit. Peers from all sides express concern about rising poverty levels & scheme costs.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

How to resist :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 14.59.31.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 14.59.31.png (185.77 KiB) Viewed 15448 times
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:The infestation of the UKIP trolls continues apace at the G. They are blind to fact, deaf to reason, and now that they have a youth division with their own shirts and salute, how long before we start hearing "Seig Nige"?
Quite a few of them have been referring to The Leader (although the capitalization is mine) for quite some time, seemingly without considering the resonances.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Alex Braithwaite retweeted
Mary Creagh MP ‏@marycreagh_mp 30m30 minutes ago
Labour will lead the world to agree an ambitious set of poverty reduction goals - my piece in the @Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 77889.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Are we all sitting here agog, waiting for the Ashcroft poll to drop?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not really, his nationwide polls are pretty mince anyway :)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Are we all sitting here agog, waiting for the Ashcroft poll to drop?
Ashcroft National Poll: Con 27%, Lab 32%, Lib Dem 7%, UKIP 18%, Green 7%
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not really, his nationwide polls are pretty mince anyway :)
I won't hear a word said against the noble Lord Ashcroft! :D
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects · 24s24 seconds ago
National Opinion Poll (Lord Ashcroft):
LAB - 32% (+2)
CON - 27% (-2)
UKIP - 18% (+2)
GRN - 7% (-)
LDEM - 7% (-2)
Wasn't agog particularly, just happened to be on Twitter when this came up.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 41s 41 seconds ago
New post.
The Ashcroft phone poll, like Populus this morning, has CON trailing by 5% http://bit.ly/1C5t7aN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2m 2 minutes ago
Today's @LordAshcroft national poll has LAB increasing lead to 5%. See details & trend chart
:clap:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah well, better than a smack in the mouth I suppose. We now await tonight's YouGov......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 18s 19 seconds ago
It is 2 months since LAB had leads of 5 or more in consecutive polls - as we have today with @LordAshcroft & Populus
Maybe Cameron and co, Ukip and the meeja should carry on doing what they're doing ... because it doesn't seem to be going their way. Perhaps more of the public can see it for what it is than they were bargaining on?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:How to resist :lol:
That design leaves a lovely great big space in which to paint in the words by voting against all just above where it says Conservatives...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks all for the comments on the mug, Ashcroft and the rest I've got a big grin on my face :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bob Collis ‏@Bob_Collis 11s12 seconds ago
"@britainelects: National Opinion Poll (Populus):
LAB - 36% (-)
CON - 31% (-2)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
LDEM - 9% (-)
GRN - 5% (+1)"

Edited to add: @TheGrimSqueaker SNAP :D
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

In England where 533 of the 650 seats are @LordAshcroft has
CON 28
LAB 34
LD 6
UKIP 22
GRN 8
So UKIP just 6% behind CON
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Alex Braithwaite retweeted
Mary Creagh MP ‏@marycreagh_mp 30m30 minutes ago
Labour will lead the world to agree an ambitious set of poverty reduction goals - my piece in the @Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 77889.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Cameron will just agree to them as well, then miss them by miles.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
In England where 533 of the 650 seats are @LordAshcroft has
CON 28
LAB 34
LD 6
UKIP 22
GRN 8
So UKIP just 6% behind CON

:dance: :clap: :fight: :lol: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Green are higher on this one too. LD at 6 should really be on the bottom line.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tom_watson ‏@tom_watson 5m5 minutes ago
I don't normally comment on the polls but I think @LucyMPowell should take a bow: http://lordashcroftpolls.com/category/t ... onal-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Focus and message.
No thanks to you mate.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bury named as runner-up in national best town award although Aberystwyth won - congrats :)
Local Council must be doing something good then ;)
Nods at Ernst :clap:

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... own_award/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'For the other half of the sample I put the question in a slightly different way: irrespective of what they wanted to happen, did they think David Cameron or Ed Miliband was the most likely to be Prime Minister after the election? On this question the nation was less equivocal. Only 23% of all voters said they expected Miliband to enter Number Ten next May. More than half (59%) of all voters, including nearly nine in ten Tories (88%), a majority of UKIP voters (55%) and two thirds of swing voters (68%) expect Cameron to remain in charge. Even Labour voters are divided over whether the PM will be Cameron (43%) or Miliband (44%).

In other words, though all outcomes seem possible, most voters just do not think Mr Miliband will reach Downing Street. That in itself could be an indicator of whether they will ultimately be prepared to put him there. '

This is nothing of the sort. It's indicating what is perceived as "the consensus" by an individual (Cameron is going to be PM because more will vote for the Conservatives so says the media and political commentators) doesn’t tally with the totalled individual VI figures.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The Conservative mug, as described by Sir David Whispering Attenborough:

And here, in this leafy Surrey avenue, we see the Conservative Mug in its natural habitat. It tends to make its home in large boxes, decorated with mock-Tudor accoutrements; it likes to be surrounded by various types of herbaceous plant, some of which it likes to cut very short and others which it sculpts into shapes and uses for camouflage whilst reconnoitring the surrounding area.

Once inside the boxes, Conservative Mugs feed and tend to their young, who are blue like their parents. They are the only mammalian species known to have offspring in percentage points, and generally have 2.4 young (known as Conservative eggcups) throughout each mating relationship; the Eggcups are sent away with others of their kind to be reared in places unique to the species called Public Schools.

Conservative Mugs forage for their food using large wheeled metal contraptions bearing logos such as BMW and Volvo; in these they migrate en masse to a plentiful supply of indigenous meat and vegetable matter which is given to them in exchange for small pieces of metal and paper; they can be seen in large numbers at the weekend in a place known to them as Waitrose, where the female of the species has often been seen fighting with other females over any fruit labelled "Delia" or "Heston".

As they age, Conservative Mugs turn very dark blue indeed; they hunt in packs, and tend to have leaders who confuse predators by becoming purple when challenged. Unable to look humans in the eye, Conservative Mugs have highly developed language skills which enable them to move amongst human beings completely undetected, which makes them very dangerous indeed.

Attempts have been made to tame these creatures, but even after a period of good behaviour they invariably return to their natural state and strike fear and loathing in all who are not as they are. Even the golden-tongued Yellow Ratsnake is wary of Conservative Mugs.
Should you buy one as a pet, be certain to keep it away from children, and adults whose mental and emotional development is immature.

Next week, we will be meeting some people who have purchased a Conservative Mug and see how they are coping with one in captivity.

If we can find one.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Caroline CriadoPerez ‏@CCriadoPerez 1h1 hour ago
Unbelievable. Serco given new contract to run Yarl's Wood despite sexual abuse allegations https://www.gov.uk/government/news/serc ... val-centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How the hell can you privatise water?’ – when Harry Leslie Smith (91) met Owen Jones (30)
... The veteran campaigner for the poor and the NHS had plenty to say about the brutal Great Depression, the horror of postwar Hamburg – and the advice he gave Ed Miliband

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... and-advice
Bloody wonderful stuff. Harry for PM.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-95 ... HNqvfmsX8Z

Sanctioned Jobseeker Turns Tables On Duncan Smith With Viral Blog
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TfL has ordered another 200 of those sodding buses that have no air and cost far more than others.

And finally admitted that nobody abroad is interested in buying the buses.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:TfL has ordered another 200 of those sodding buses that have no air and cost far more than others.

It's called 'Legacy'...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Rose ‏@DavidRoseUK · 33 mins33 minutes ago
Guido Fawkes aka Paul Staines reveals his nasty campaign against Emily Thornberry is personal http://guyfawk.es/1AGXQJE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @guidofawkes

http://order-order.com/2014/11/24/lady- ... ed-garden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The row of terraced houses shared small gardens communally and for years neighbours’ young children had happily played together along the terrace’s back row of gardens. This irritated the new landlord Emily and she nagged, and nagged her neighbour next door to put up a fence. He was reluctant to do so because the gardens were tiny and he could see no harm being done by his two little girls riding their scooters along the row, they were only aged 3 and 5. In the end Emily had workmen build a giant fence down the middle to keep his children out. Emily’s now private garden went unused and became overgrown with weeds. How does Guido know this story is true?

They were his kids.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

We are the many. #CameronMustGo
Party Membership numbers...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:TfL has ordered another 200 of those sodding buses that have no air and cost far more than others.

It's called 'Legacy'...
I forgot to say "heavy".

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2014/11/24/ ... t-back-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, that’s 12430kg, over 300kg more than the last Euro V batch and within a whisker of the first production batch weight. This, obviously, means the capacity is reduced accordingly. The original production weight of 12460kg resulted in a capacity restricted to, as we saw then, 62 seated/18 standing, so the best the latest ones can be is 81, six fewer than the double deckers previously operating the route, which is also a driver only route (the PVR is unchanged at 35). Quite what benefit the 453′s customers get from this entirely defeats me.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I mean, if the Welsh Government were running buses like this...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nicola Sturgeon ‏@StormySturgeon · 8 mins8 minutes ago
@ZacGoldsmith you say you're not going to defect to UKIP. Are you just trying to scare the British Public with your Carswell RT's?

Now that would shock me :shock:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I mean, if the Welsh Government were running buses like this...
Well quite. But I'm pretty sure Cameron thinks Welsh buses run a la Flintstones - holes in the floor for the passengers legs so they can run it along the streets themselves. And we all put our pet dragons out at night.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jonathan Reynolds MP retweeted
BBC News Press Team ‏@BBCNewsPR 39m39 minutes ago
The man who wrote govt report criticising #RBS has been told he can no longer be a customer, @BBCPanorama has learned http://bbc.in/1ux6fa5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Caroline CriadoPerez ‏@CCriadoPerez 1h1 hour ago
Unbelievable. Serco given new contract to run Yarl's Wood despite sexual abuse allegations https://www.gov.uk/government/news/serc ... val-centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
We need the United Nations involved.