Monday 24th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Re: Monday 24th November 2014

Post by Tizme1 »

Evening all. I've been too hectic to post the last few days and have been busy trying to catch up.

@Tubby - I saw your comment from Friday evening apologising if you'd caused offence - thank you. In like spirit, my apologies if my comments caused offence.

I'm wondering if you can all help me with something. I read a blog the other day by an ex Labour person who has switched to Green. Most of what they had written I agreed with. However,they claimed Labour were going to stop benefits for under 25's. I know the Tories have made suggestions along those lines but I don't recall even Reeves suggesting that. Anyone know where this idea may have come from? I'm guessing it may be to do with the Jobs Guarantee idea but I'm not sure.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson · 9 mins9 minutes ago
Latest Graun cartoon here. By the bye... http://gu.com/p/43tb5/tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I asked him

"Is he pushing gate up to set ukippery free to run wild, or down to keep them caged? lol"
and he replied

"Pulling it down to keep the Euroscum out of the fortress.. Or possibly the opposite..."
So I still don't know.... :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anyone watch Panorama tonight? On the 'help' given by RBS and Lloyds banks to businesses which led to their failure and loss - the businesses that is, the banks seemed to do very nicely out of it along with all the other companies they brought in on the bandwagon.

Sheesh - I hope it got a load more Tories - of the business man / woman sort - absolutely frothing at the behaviour of the banks - and the coalition's fawning subservience to them.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tizme1 wrote:Evening all. I've been too hectic to post the last few days and have been busy trying to catch up.

@Tubby - I saw your comment from Friday evening apologising if you'd caused offence - thank you. In like spirit, my apologies if my comments caused offence.

I'm wondering if you can all help me with something. I read a blog the other day by an ex Labour person who has switched to Green. Most of what they had written I agreed with. However,they claimed Labour were going to stop benefits for under 25's. I know the Tories have made suggestions along those lines but I don't recall even Reeves suggesting that. Anyone know where this idea may have come from? I'm guessing it may be to do with the Jobs Guarantee idea but I'm not sure.
It was a work of fiction in the Guardian.

Reeves immediately denied it by twitter.

However the headline got written.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tizme1 wrote:Evening all. I've been too hectic to post the last few days and have been busy trying to catch up.

Someone else will, no doubt, have a much more accurate recall than me ... but I seem to remember Reeves announcing something along the lines of benefits being affected (not sure if it was stopped or reduced or what) for under 25s who had been claiming for 2 years and didn't take up the offer of a guaranteed job, or training / education.

Editing to add:
Labour denies planning to strip benefits from under-25 'Neets'
Shadow work and pensions secretary Rachel Reeves rejects claim that IPPR proposal will be adopted by party
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013 ... r-25-neets
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's fine, no problem.

Nice to see you here again.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Anyone watch Panorama tonight? On the 'help' given by RBS and Lloyds banks to businesses which led to their failure and loss - the businesses that is, the banks seemed to do very nicely out of it along with all the other companies they brought in on the bandwagon.

Sheesh - I hope it got a load more Tories - of the business man / woman sort - absolutely frothing at the behaviour of the banks - and the coalition's fawning subservience to them.
I saw that on C4 News - and the fact that the two execs from RBS misled the treasury Select Committee on whether the Global restructuring group of RBS was a profit centre or not. They said it wasn't but as it turned out...

One to add to the ever growing list of banking scandals.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 12m12 minutes ago
New post.
Labour’s Scottish crisis is masking what could be even more significant – the Tory collapse in England http://bit.ly/1y6i0Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory collapse in England? Wow :o

Well largely on the basis of a couple of polls, so let's not get carried away.

However 6 months out from the election Cameron's party has a smell of death about it. I just can't see them putting together any sort of offer to the mainstream.

I also wonder whether his continual tracking right is now costing him moderate voters.
Given that many Conservative supporters are older and may have been drawn to UKIP, I think quite a few will be falling out of love with them due to the dregs of society which UKIP are attracting.
Once upon a time voting Conservative meant respectability. I doubt they'll want to be associated with a party that encourages the lower orders and dregs of society. Cameron's a fool. He should have sat tight. As it is there'll be all sorts of daft protest voting which can only harm him.
Whether his old faithfuls return to the fold remains to be seen. I suspect they will.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jobs Guarantee scheme, if a young person does not have the literacy or numeracy to enable them to get a job then they will be offered training to bring them to employable standards. If they refuse the training they will forfeit right to JSA. It is hoped that people with special needs who missed being "spotted" at school will get the extra help needed.
For the age group 16 - 25 (?) without skills JSA will be stopped and replaced by a Youth Allowance (equal to JSA) this means that if a young person wants to go to collage to train some more, they can without losing benefit. Currently a youngster on JSA cannot go to collage unless they forfeit JSA because under JSA "terms" they have to be available for work at all times, if they in collage they are deemed to be unavailable.
On the down side, Youth Allowance will be means tested using parents income, I think the upper limit will be around £44k - or whatever the University means test is as it will be set on par with that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour warns private schools to help state pupils or lose £700m in tax breaks

Shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt accuses Tories of doing nothing to ‘breach Berlin Wall’ in education system
Hunt argues that private schools have been asked politely to cooperate with the state sector, with limited effect. He warns: “The next government will say to them: step up and play your part. Earn your keep. Because the time you could expect something for nothing is over.”

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Labour warns private schools to help state pupils or lose £700m in tax breaks

Shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt accuses Tories of doing nothing to ‘breach Berlin Wall’ in education system
Hunt argues that private schools have been asked politely to cooperate with the state sector, with limited effect. He warns: “The next government will say to them: step up and play your part. Earn your keep. Because the time you could expect something for nothing is over.”

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Telegraph leading with this story.

Yep, Class War.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Labour warns private schools to help state pupils or lose £700m in tax breaks

Yep, Class War.
Sam Freedman @Samfr · 14m 14 minutes ago
Inevitably Telegraph label Labour plans on private school tax relief "class war". That class would be "oligarchs"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Labour lead at 4 on tonight's YouGov for The Sun

Lab 34
Con 30
UKIP 18
Green 6
LibDem 6
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

adam wrote:Labour lead at 4 on tonight's YouGov for The Sun

Lab 34
Con 30
UKIP 18
Green 6
LibDem 6
Perfect way to round off the trio of polls and the day.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Yep, Class War.
Just heard a snatch of this on the BBC (MsRemarx watching, 'cos I don't) and thought about fucking time. Good for Hunt. I'd be even happier if he revoked their charitable statuses (statii?) but that's not going to happen, so yoking them to the state model is an excellent idea, and ensures they have to do something material, or suffer the consequences.

A pretty good proposal, I'm sure the Torygraph, above and below the line will hate it with a passion.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Lab 34
Con 30
UKIP 18
Green 6
LibDem 6
Yes indeed. Those Tories just can't catch a break when it comes to polling. :lol:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Lab 34
Con 30
UKIP 18
Green 6
LibDem 6
Yes indeed. Those Tories just can't catch a break when it comes to polling. :lol:
You should bear in mind that it's down from 5 earlier in the day. Think what it'll be like by the morning.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Sticky99 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Miliband's dividing line with the Tories on workers' rights
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ers-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Question: Are the Tories officially on record as saying they will do all of those things?
A thoroughly interesting piece, I completely agree with it all.

I have often wondered why UKIP and Tory voters (which can often amount to the same thing!) want to vote for parties that would slash employment rights…which they and their own families benefit from. It isn’t like all of these voters are pampered pooches with large inheritances. Labour’s stance on employment rights resonates with people to a far greater degree than the other parties, and like the NHS, employment rights is an area of strength for the party.

As for the Beecroft proposals, whilst the Tories haven’t directly stated they plan to scrap all those listed protections, their current dismantling of employee rights is indicative of where they are heading. Qualification period for redundancy pay has increased; right to a fair tribunal hearing has all but been scrapped, and the time that employees can claim for unfair dismissal has also increased. If the Tories get a majority next year they’ll no doubt continue ripping up employee rights, as the party will be unshackled from the constraints of coalition government and will be free to pursue their loony-right agenda.

Miliband’s proposals sound encouraging. I have no doubt that additional regulation against agency practices is required. Hopefully the proposals are tough enough to weed out the particularly bad agencies that extensively hire from abroad and that are charging employees for actually working – ridiculous but true.

The agency culture is generally negative for pay and conditions, even if the agencies are totally legitimate. Employers, especially SME’s will pay their employees less because of the cut that agencies take per employee. Often it can mean employees are paid £2 an hour less compared to being paid directly by the employer. I hope a lot of employees realise that they can save money and give their staff a small pay rise by handling payroll and recruitment internally, depending on how much an agency receives.

Labour’s plan to create more engineers sounds very encouraging: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30175203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is excellent for living standards, great for business by creating the skills they need – wish this was rammed home to people more. Unfortunately instead of substance like this, we see drivel like Ed eating a bacon sandwich or scrutinised for giving a homeless person money. :roll:

The only issue I have with this is the need for more Engineers?

Really, where are they going to work?

Rolls Royce just announced layoffs, Marconi - gone, Rover - gone, BAE looking iffy.

We seem to have very few engineering companies. So what the UK needs is more Engineering companies first, then more engineers. However since most UK companies are run by useless accountants who refuse to take risk and invest I can't see it.

There are a couple of exceptions to this doom, but they are exceptions.
Hi Ephemera,

Perhaps not the same thing, but I was thinking along the lines of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30139181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously Dyson large multi-national, but it shows that we have got engineering skills in this country and hopefully we can retain those skills. There are other industries where engineering is a necessity, where it isn’t just dependent on accountants making rigid decisions.

One of my favourite areas, motor racing is a great example. It wouldn’t be unfair to say that Britain lead’s the way in motorsport engineering. Not only F1 in does Britain excel, but McLaren in Woking exports its electronic control units to USA, Middle East and series in Asia. We have a strong motorsport base for domestic racing too, and the great thing about a lot of top F1 engineers is that they often aren’t privileged. I’d argue that motor racing has provided social mobility for a lot of engineers, aerodynamicists, pit crew members etc.

Obviously we need a lot more examples like the above, but I think we have a lot of skills in high-tech engineering that should be expanded and exploited. Whether Miliband’s plans achieve that is uncertain, but the fact that Labour are going down this route beats the current government’s archaic approach to education.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Lab 34
Con 30
UKIP 18
Green 6
LibDem 6
Ok so WTF.

We now have three polls all showing a move to Labour. Given all the press coverage this is a bit of a turn up. Nicky B's weighted moving average is completely buggered.

Why, what has happened.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sticky99 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Sticky99 wrote: A thoroughly interesting piece, I completely agree with it all.

I have often wondered why UKIP and Tory voters (which can often amount to the same thing!) want to vote for parties that would slash employment rights…which they and their own families benefit from. It isn’t like all of these voters are pampered pooches with large inheritances. Labour’s stance on employment rights resonates with people to a far greater degree than the other parties, and like the NHS, employment rights is an area of strength for the party.

As for the Beecroft proposals, whilst the Tories haven’t directly stated they plan to scrap all those listed protections, their current dismantling of employee rights is indicative of where they are heading. Qualification period for redundancy pay has increased; right to a fair tribunal hearing has all but been scrapped, and the time that employees can claim for unfair dismissal has also increased. If the Tories get a majority next year they’ll no doubt continue ripping up employee rights, as the party will be unshackled from the constraints of coalition government and will be free to pursue their loony-right agenda.

Miliband’s proposals sound encouraging. I have no doubt that additional regulation against agency practices is required. Hopefully the proposals are tough enough to weed out the particularly bad agencies that extensively hire from abroad and that are charging employees for actually working – ridiculous but true.

The agency culture is generally negative for pay and conditions, even if the agencies are totally legitimate. Employers, especially SME’s will pay their employees less because of the cut that agencies take per employee. Often it can mean employees are paid £2 an hour less compared to being paid directly by the employer. I hope a lot of employees realise that they can save money and give their staff a small pay rise by handling payroll and recruitment internally, depending on how much an agency receives.

Labour’s plan to create more engineers sounds very encouraging: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30175203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is excellent for living standards, great for business by creating the skills they need – wish this was rammed home to people more. Unfortunately instead of substance like this, we see drivel like Ed eating a bacon sandwich or scrutinised for giving a homeless person money. :roll:

Rolls Royce just announced layoffs, Marconi - gone, Rover - gone, BAE looking iffy.

We seem to have very few engineering companies. So what the UK needs is more Engineering companies first, then more engineers. However since most UK companies are run by useless accountants who refuse to take risk and invest I can't see it.

Hi Ephemera,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30139181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously Dyson large multi-national, but it shows that we have got engineering skills in this country and hopefully we can retain those skills. There are other industries where engineering is a necessity, where it isn’t just dependent on accountants making rigid decisions.

One of my favourite areas, motor racing is a great example. It wouldn’t be unfair to say that Britain lead’s the way in motorsport engineering. Not only F1 in does Britain excel, but McLaren in Woking exports its electronic control units to USA, Middle East and series in Asia. We have a strong motorsport base for domestic racing too, and the great thing about a lot of top F1 engineers is that they often aren’t privileged. I’d argue that motor racing has provided social mobility for a lot of engineers, aerodynamicists, pit crew members etc.

Obviously we need a lot more examples like the above, but I think we have a lot of skills in high-tech engineering that should be expanded and exploited. Whether Miliband’s plans achieve that is uncertain, but the fact that Labour are going down this route beats the current government’s archaic approach to education.
But didn't I read that Dyson has moved all his manufacturing abroad?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Sticky99 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Sticky99 wrote: A thoroughly interesting piece, I completely agree with it all.

Hi Ephemera,

Britain leads in Motorsport but it is very niche. I know people who work in it and there are far more qualified engineers trying to get in than they can take (which also keeps salaries low).

Dyson is a really really bad example for all sorts of reasons.
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sticky99 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Miliband's dividing line with the Tories on workers' rights
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ers-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Question: Are the Tories officially on record as saying they will do all of those things?
A thoroughly interesting piece, I completely agree with it all.

Hello Sticky99, been wondering where you had gone. Labour do need to be very clear about their workers rights agenda. I think some of them will be up to the job. Saw a tweet earlier today which linked to a news page from a UK recruitment agency who were announcing their new Polish branch. I'd be interested to know what kind of work they will be recruiting for - so will try to go back and find and file it.
Hi Rebecca,

Excellent to see you again. I really like this place and still read regularly, but unfortunately don’t have the time to post as much with the busyness of work at the moment. Fortunately I’m enjoying some time off, so I’m glad to be back.

I agree with you, Labour does need to be very clear in how it tackles underhand agency practices. The concept of a licensing system for agencies sounds great in theory, but in practice I struggle to see that working. I mean we currently lack staff in established regulatory bodies like Trading Standards, so I’m skeptical whether there would be the willpower and resources to have people checking agency practices.

The actual proposals on ensuring permanent staff are not undercut, temporary employees aren’t charged fees to work are decent, but as with a lot of things, we need more detail to gauge the realism of the proposals. However, it beats the current government’s approach, which whenever asked about employment-related questions just trot out the drivel that we’ve got record employment rates, ignoring other developments in the labour market.

I hope the agency culture ends in general. Employees in particular lose out on a whole host of benefits; higher pay, holiday pay from the off, sick pay, right to an employee tribunal, right to redundancy pay and more. However, the paradox now is also how much employers loose as well.

They have to pay the agency a cut of some sort, can’t really decide on who works in their company, and now have to give temporary employees some of the rights that permanent staff enjoy – like equal opportunities and holiday pay after 12 weeks. So therefore, it isn’t quite the advantage it used to be hiring temporary employees. If employees drill down on the sums, a lot of them will find they can give staff a pay rise and reduce their costs by hiring and paying staff internally.

The case you mention of an agency opening a Polish branch is interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were hoping to capture the lucrative market Eastern European market in general, because undoubtedly as woes abroad continue Britain must look like a safe haven in some countries. I would guess they were hiring for lower skill roles, but who knows.
Last edited by Sticky99 on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From the beginning of the year:
Dyson Aims for a Cordless Revolution With Tiny, 120,000 RPM Motor
BY LIZ STINSON 01.30.14

And just last year, the company opened an $80 million manufacturing facility in West Park, Singapore, so Dyson could produce the motors privately and en mass. The 45,000-square-foot facility is outfitted with 50 robots that cranked out around 6 million motors in 2013.

Dyson annually pours around $210 million into R&D, and the factory is a good example of how much of a bet the company is willing to make on motor technology.

Apologies - edited to add the following - it seems Dyson still has people employed in the UK - perhaps.

From Carbon Fiber to Graphene
Meanwhile, the 1,536 engineers and scientists employed at Dyson are constantly looking for what’s next. Currently, the company is partnering with Andre Geim at the University of Manchester to research and develop applications for graphene, a carbon-based super material that has the potential to overhaul manufacturing because of its lightness, strength and electrical conductivity.

Rob Green, a senior design engineer who worked on the DC59 compares Dyson’s current research into graphene to its work with carbon fiber, which is now used in the V6 as a bearing carrier.

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/dysons-new ... evolution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Engineering jobs
http://www.justengineers.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Including.....

Automotive jobs
Aviation jobs
Building Services jobs
Construction jobs
Defence jobs
Environmental jobs
FMCG jobs
Highways & Transport jobs
Manufacturing jobs
Mining jobs
Nuclear jobs
Oil & Gas jobs
Power & Energy jobs
Rail jobs
Scientific jobs
Telecommunications jobs
Utilities jobs
Water jobs
Renewable Energy jobs

(started new thread as other a bit long..)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@SpaceDone

In the chemist the other day one of the assistants looked totally blank when I said about our local foodbank.
It's frequently featured in our local paper but she evidently doesn't read it, and must not watch the news on TV, although that's not saying much by BBCs standards. So what else was she totally ignorant of?

It's horrifying but there seems to be a large swathe of the population that don't have a clue about the policies of the various parties. Some have clamped on emigration because that's a nice easy thing get worked up about but I'd bet my right arm that's all they 'know'. And I use that word loosely.
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Sticky99 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Hi Ephemera,

Britain leads in Motorsport but it is very niche. I know people who work in it and there are far more qualified engineers trying to get in than they can take (which also keeps salaries low).

Dyson is a really really bad example for all sorts of reasons.
I wish it wasn't a niche but unfortunately that is true. I know that there is an established supply chain for the various car manufacturing plants, like a UK firm that produces body panels for MINI cars, but I'm not sure of the greater significance of examples like that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

EasyPoland.co.uk
Get your Polish workers fast and easy!

We supply Polish workforce to all businesses and places in: England, Scotland, Wales
Covering London, Plymouth, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Inverness and Thurso.

http://easypoland.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why to employ Polish workers?

Workers from Eastern Europe can benefit your business in many ways. Take an advantage of motivated, skilled and dedicated staff.
•Motivated, experienced, skilled, dedicated staff
•Lower staff turnover
•High quality work performance and productivity
•Ability and willingness to work overtime
Low cost of Polish workers recruitment agency
•Ability to work at nights and during bank holidays
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ed Miliband announces new measures to tackle rogue employment agencies
With a 36% increase in temporary agency workers since 2009, the Labour leader’s plan will crack down on exploitation
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... cy-workers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posting this again - the article is clearer than the BBC take on Miliband's policy, in my opinion.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I can't think of any reason why I'd want to hire someone on the basis of their nationality. Someone help me out, please.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
I can't think of any reason why I'd want to hire someone on the basis of their nationality. Someone help me out, please.
They tell you on the web site
Workers from Eastern Europe can benefit your business in many ways. Take an advantage of motivated, skilled and dedicated staff.
•Lower staff turnover
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Engineering jobs
Including.....

Automotive jobs
Aviation jobs
Building Services jobs
Construction jobs
Defence jobs
Environmental jobs
FMCG jobs
Manufacturing jobs
Mining jobs
Nuclear jobs
Oil & Gas jobs
Power & Energy jobs
Rail jobs
Scientific jobs
Telecommunications jobs
Utilities jobs
Water jobs
Renewable Energy jobs

Dude, I work in the industry. I am aware that jobs exist.

Now go and compare the size of our Engineering sector with France, Germany and America. Which is kind of my point.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Including.....

Automotive jobs
Aviation jobs
Building Services jobs
Construction jobs
Defence jobs
Environmental jobs
FMCG jobs
Manufacturing jobs
Mining jobs
Nuclear jobs
Oil & Gas jobs
Power & Energy jobs
Rail jobs
Scientific jobs
Telecommunications jobs
Utilities jobs
Water jobs
Renewable Energy jobs

Our Recruitment
All recruitment activity across Siemens UK is managed centrally by the UK Global Shared Services Recruitment Team.

Our experienced recruiters source the majority of our candidates directly. We do, however, require support from agencies and, subsequently, have an approved supplier list in place to support recruitment activity across the business. We have recently undergone a substantial review of our prefered supplier list (PSL) and are therefore not looking to add any additional supplier until July 2015 or thereafter.

Please note, Siemens does not accept speculative approaches of CVs or resumes of any kind from recruitment agencies or 3rd party suppliers outside our approved supplier list. Agencies should. therefore, not forwards CVs or resumes of any kind directly to any Siemens Employee, or via our Careers website.

http://www.siemens.co.uk/careers/en/wor ... the_uk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was excited about the possibility of becoming a Wind Turbine Technician - amazed to discover Siemens' apprenticeship program. I became confused by all the small print. Someone let me know if I've posted inappropriate material. What does all this mean?

"Preferred supplier list (PSL)" - there's my start.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera

Now go and compare the size of our Engineering sector with France, Germany and America. Which is kind of my point.
Damn. Why though?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Including.....

Automotive jobs
Aviation jobs
Building Services jobs
Construction jobs
Defence jobs
Environmental jobs
FMCG jobs
Manufacturing jobs
Mining jobs
Nuclear jobs
Oil & Gas jobs
Power & Energy jobs
Rail jobs
Scientific jobs
Telecommunications jobs
Utilities jobs
Water jobs
Renewable Energy jobs

The conversation was centred on cars, racing and vacuum cleaners, I checked other areas.
If we don't have a skilled workforce we ain't going to build anything never mind rebuild industries.
I think that's the point of EdM drive for more qualified engineers - no?
Dude? Hum. There was no suggestion that you, or anyone, doesn't know jobs exist. Just an attempt to widen the conversation. I'll give that one up then.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
•Lower staff turnover
Well, that's a lot of shit. Insulting to everyone, that is.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think we've touched the nerve of a candid conversation our political, union & business leaders need to have with their electorate, union members & employers.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I can't think of any reason why I'd want to hire someone on the basis of their nationality. Someone help me out, please.
•Lower staff turnover
Well, that's a lot of shit. Insulting to everyone, that is.
Or, to put it in a somewhat cruder fashion, we can supply you with guys you can fuck over far easier than the homegrown ones.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I see.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It doesn't have to be this way.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nite all
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Private schools have done too little for too long
Under a Labour government, the independent sector will work for the common good or lose its tax breaks

Tristram Hunt
The Guardian, Monday 24 November 2014 22.00 GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ate-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Let's put a stop to the Dickensian practise of purchasing apprenticeships & careers stranding bright minds without independent family wealth at part-time retail establishments paying too little on a zero-hour contract & a £30,000 student loan debt & a degree in Engineering too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 21m 21 minutes ago
So 3 polls today all showing same trends - CON down, UKIP up and LAB extending lead.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Nite all
Good night. I hope I've not caused offence.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Perfect way to round off the trio of polls and the day.
Ok so WTF.

We now have three polls all showing a move to Labour. Given all the press coverage this is a bit of a turn up. Nicky B's weighted moving average is completely buggered.

Why, what has happened.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... ts-changed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:It doesn't have to be this way.
Nope. That's one of the many ways in which we need rid of this government, though.
The truth ferret speaks!
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

@CitizenJA

As a constant lurker and a seldom poster may I reassure you that you are the very last person who would cause offence, xx
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ChrisDean wrote:@CitizenJA

As a constant lurker and a seldom poster may I reassure you that you are the very last person who would cause offence, xx
Thank you, ChrisDean.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ate-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So Labour’s plan is this: we will introduce a School Partnership Standard requiring all private schools to form genuine and accountable partnerships with state schools if they want to keep their business rates relief.
That link in Tristram Hunt's article on the G took me here:
Charitable rate relief
Charities and amateur community sports clubs can apply for relief of up to 80% if a property is used for charitable purposes.

Check with your local council to see if you’re eligible.

You should also check if you can get additional ‘discretionary relief’ (up to 100%). This is sometimes provided by local councils to ‘top up’ certain reliefs to give businesses and charities extra help.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-r ... ate-relief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Hunt continues:
"...we will also bring to an end the charade of those schools who think a spurious bursary scheme, hanging up some artwork or allowing access to gardens fulfils their social responsibility. It doesn’t. With a Labour government, private schools will only be exempt from business rates if they can show a meaningful impact on state education.

England’s independent schools need to raise their game. Britain will only thrive in the 21st century on the back of an education system where pupils enjoy equality of opportunity. This crippling public-private impasse has gone on too long. Ed Miliband’s Labour party is going to end it."
Whoooohooooo! That's good news, I think.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ChrisDean wrote:@CitizenJA

Thoroughly seconded, and thanks for posting Chris - feel free to pitch in whenever you want.