Tuesday 25th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Tuesday 25th November 2014

Post by LadyCentauria »

Universal Credit starts rolling out to families, today. The change will initially apply to parents in parts of north-west England. It will be available in one-third of all Job Centres by Spring 2015, according to IDS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30187742

Quotes from the Analysis section of the article:
But the scheme has been beset by problems - tens of millions of pounds have been written off due to technical problems and only 20,000 people are currently claiming it, rather than the one million initially envisaged by ministers.

Those who are already receiving it have been mainly single people with no housing costs, but from today parents in a small part of the north west of England will be able to apply.
The national audit office, which said in a report last year that universal credit was not achieving value for money, is due to deliver another assessment tomorrow
Labour's Rachel Reeves has previously said her party would "pause" Universal Credit if it wins the next general election in 2015.
Good morning, all.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 25th November 2014

Post by refitman »

Good morning. Labour lead at 4 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 24th November -

Con 30%, (-3)
Lab 34%, (+1)
LD 6%, (-1)
UKIP 18%; (+2)
Grn 6%, (no change)

APP -30 (-8)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

@LadyCentauria

from DWP :
"The last new claims to legacy benefits will be accepted during 2017.

Following this the stock of remaining legacy claims will progressively decline, and the department will migrate the remaining claims to Universal Credit. Should there be no change in the labour market outlook or the pace at which claims are migrated, the current business case assumes for planning purposes the bulk of this exercise will be complete by 2019."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/welf ... -by-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

Credit where it's due to Sky News for being pretty much the only place reporting Labour's surge in the polls

http://news.sky.com/story/1379694/labou ... e-flag-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

of course it is "despite" all the "turmoil" round Ed's leadership.

Don't they get it that the people considering voting Labour have more on their minds than Myleene Klaas and White Van Dan?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Answering my own question, good points made here yesterday about a general sense of panic in the mainstream media that their power to sway events is sliding away from them.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.
Flippin' freezing here this morning.

Notice Radio 4 isn't wall to wall with 'Tory party crisis' & 'This shows all Tories are out of touch' this morning with a recording made by a taxi driver when he had an altercation about a route with David Mellor.

Mellor pulled rank on the cabbie, calling him a 'stupid, sweaty little shit', told him to 'fuck off'
& "You've been driving a cab for 10 years, I've been in the Cabinet, I'm an award-winning broadcaster, I'm a Queen's Counsel. You think that your experiences are anything compared to mine?"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fo ... or-4689371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30188899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Good interview on Toady with IDS this morning. He was allowed to finish his sentences, spoke at length where he needed to and I was able to understand the points he was making. Now can we have the same treatment for politicians of ALL parties please BBC you deferential little Tory shits! :wall:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@Tizme

Will you be contacting the Green convert blogger about his misinformation about Labour's youth policy ? If people are deliberately/accidentally portraying Labour's policies or comments wrongly, no wonder so many Greens come across as so angrily anti-Labour.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:of course it is "despite" all the "turmoil" round Ed's leadership.
One school of thought suggests that it may (at least partially) be because of the (largely manufactured) turmoil around Ed's leadership; there was a similar poll bounce, iirc, after Dacre's attack on his father.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning!

Credit where it's due to Sky News for being pretty much the only place reporting Labour's surge in the polls

http://news.sky.com/story/1379694/labou ... e-flag-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed that Smithson's summary of the day was ...
So 3 polls today all showing same trends - CON down, UKIP up and LAB extending lead.
…when in fact Labour were up in 2 of the 3 polls.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 33m 33 minutes ago
Private schools must play their competitive sport against state schools, @TristramHuntMP announces. Good Labour mass appeal policy finally..

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 32m 32 minutes ago
...but a shame Labour only have the courage at the moment to brief Mirror and Guardian on it. (2/2)
I wonder why that is?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UniversalCreditJSAComparisonChart.jpg
UniversalCreditJSAComparisonChart.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 20637 times
Jonathan Portes @jdportes · 1h 1 hour ago
DWP early comparisons of Universal Credit with JSA: moderately +ve, but little change in numbers moving into work.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Private schools must play their competitive sport against state schools, @TristramHuntMP announces. Good Labour mass appeal policy finally..

...but a shame Labour only have the courage at the moment to brief Mirror and Guardian on it. (2/2)
I wonder why that is?
So did he ever ask why Gove only ever briefed the Times and Sunday Times on his education policy?

Or why the DfE ministers only ever seem to give speeches at Policy Exchange?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

@LadyCentauria

from DWP :
"The last new claims to legacy benefits will be accepted during 2017.

Following this the stock of remaining legacy claims will progressively decline, and the department will migrate the remaining claims to Universal Credit. Should there be no change in the labour market outlook or the pace at which claims are migrated, the current business case assumes for planning purposes the bulk of this exercise will be complete by 2019."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/welf ... -by-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This latest piece of guff says that "Support worth up to 70% of childcare costs will be available regardless of hours worked" which sounds really good; later it says "Working families on UC can claim back 70% they've paid out for childcare", which doesn't.

So the childcare has to be paid for first - which is not going to be easy for people who have no money; on top of that, there is a cap on how much that 70% can be, at £532 for 1 child and £912 for two or more. Monthly.
The average cost of a nursery place is about £150 a week; if you have two children, that'll cost £1,300 a month. 70% of that is £910, so the cost to the parent is £390 - assuming that they get the money back when they claim for it.
If you get a job and have 2 under-school-age kids, you will have to find £1,300 up front and claim back the £910 later; whatever your wages or UC award is, you have to factor in the £390 you have to pay in childcare every month.

The splendid Brian Wernham has been Tweeting about what he calls the "media blitz" this week on UC - the next NAO report on it is due and it looks like the government wants to get its propaganda out first. DWP has published reams of new guidance for UC in the past few days - it looks like its getting its excuses in before the report is published.

In the link HindleA provided and in various soundbites from IDS, we are told that UC is such a roaring success that UC claimants are "working more over a 6 month period - 69% under UC compared with 65% under JSA"
This means that a handful of people who find work when on UC are doing a tiny bit more than their JSA equivalents. That's not very impressive at all when you consider the demographics.

There are, we are told, about 11,000 people claiming UC. These are all single people with no children, no disabilities, no complications who are claiming only the JSA-type component of UC. If they are entitled to Housing Benefit, this continues to be administered by their local authority at the moment. They are all "new" claims.
They are the single group of claimants most likely to find work quickly; 80% of all new JSA claimants find work within 6 months. So it should be expected that a similar level of people who would normally have an uncomplicated JSA claim will behave in the same way if the have a new uncomplicated UC claim.

The "working more" thing is very misleading. These figures suggest that, over a 6-month period, 4% more of UC claimants than JSA claimants are doing more work; but it doesn't say how many of those people there are.
It could be 100, it could be 1,000, it could be one. The work could be anything from one hour upwards, but not ull time or there would be no entitlement to UC as the claims are all JSA-replacement only.
All this means is that whatever the number of people is, 4% of the ones on UC are doing more work than their JSA counterparts; if you claim JSA you cannot work more than 16 hours, and in practice as 11.5 hours a week at NMW is more than JSA if you did 12 hours you'd have to come off it anyway - on UC you can work a bit more before DWP closes the claim.
For most JSA claimants, it's not worth bothering with a temporary job which is part-time on NMW, because the hassle of sorting out HB etc. and re-claiming after a few days is such a pain, and now they have to wait for 7 days before the new claim is even registered, so they lose at least a week of JSA (or more if their pre-claim jobsearch isn't up to scratch)

I suspect that, assuming this 69%/65% thing is true, the UC claimants may be doing odd bits of work in a way the JSA claimants can't.
Thanks to the draconian jobsearch conditions for UC, it is worth the claimants' while to do this - if they don't, they will be sanctioned and the penalty for "refusal of employment" is 26 weeks for the first offence.
Even if all the claimants on UC now had got some bit of work in 6 months, the number is still very small - 11,000. If there were also 11,000 JSA claimants who had also found a bit of work in the 6 months used as the comparison, all this tells us is that 440 UC claimants got a bit more work than their JSA counterparts, which could be anything from one hour to twelve hours on one occasion or more.

Not impressed.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Off out to do some paid work now. It's going to be veeeeerrrrrry cold I think. Fleece and gloves to the ready. See you later.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. Greens -

The Green Party are hosting a public meeting in Witney (ooooooer!) on the subject of deaths/suicides of people on benefits.
Correction - not on benefits as they got stopped.

The speakers include the sisters of David Clapson and Mark Wood.

I asked Natalie Bennett on Twitter yesterday if the convenors of this meeting could record it or provide transcripts of the event, as there is a lot of interest in it and I doubt there will be room for all who would like to attend.

She replied very quickly, and said she would ask for me.
I am impressed by that - the only Labour MPs who have ever responded to a direct question from me are Ian Lavery and John McDonnell.

I have asked Reeves and Green direct questions by the dozen and not once have they responded - yes, I know they're busy, but if they want to engage with voters, it does their prospects no good if they ignore them in the one accessible forum they've got, because emails are never ever replied to in my experience. Even if it's only a SPAD acknowledging a question, it'd be something.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Morning.
What a lovely,cold,frosty start to the day.Had a beautiful walk with the dogs and have even put the heating on for an hour for the first time this morning.
Thanks for the pan haggerty recipe Lady C,I have a very skinny vegetarian friend who loves spuds so I shall cook it for her next time she comes for lunch.
Good to see the polls,though there are too many of them now imo.
My car is going for its mot tomorrow,does anyone else dread this yearly torture or is it just me?I even have it done early to get it over with.I can't think of anything worse,it is cruel and unusual.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning!

Don't they get it that the people considering voting Labour have more on their minds than Myleene Klaas and White Van Dan?
Excerpt from Times Red Box poll:
YouGov's Stephan Shakespeare writes:

“People choose how to vote at a general election for different reasons,” YouGov said to the public, and then asked, exclusively for Red Box: “Which of the following best reflect the reasons for your current choice?”

We are notoriously poor at understanding our own behavioural drivers and we like to seem rational, so one might have expected the highest proportion to choose “I am backing the party that offers what I think are the best specific policies” – but in fact that was the preferred option for only 19 per cent.

Overwhelmingly, 57 per cent said: “I am backing the party that best reflects my ideals and principles”.

Just 6 per cent chose “I am backing the party whose leader would make the best prime minister”; 5 per cent “I am backing a party that isn't my first choice to stop a party I dislike from winning”, 4 per cent “I am backing a party in order to send a message or make a protest”; 3 per cent “I am backing the party whose local candidate would make the best PM”.

Maybe we should take this at face value: the low ranking for “best PM” would explain why Labour, who score very badly on this, are nevertheless still doing ok in the polls, and shows why Miliband had to make the most of sacking of Emily Thornberry. Nearly all those who self-identified “protest votes” were Ukippers, for whom that option was 17 per cent. ​
http://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaw ... 2fd79.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most people can see the press for what it is - a steaming pile of shit, which has lost the respect it once had from us proles.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...everything seems to be a bit brighter this week...the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter :)

I've no idea who these people are, but they're quite sneery about those on #cameronmustgo...

'Among the posts are several based on solid factual evidence'

http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/61491 ... c-ridicule

...but it's still a nice headline to see ;)

I'll be taking my first dip into Twitter in a bit - can't resist trying to help to keep the # going - is there a way to 'preview' a tweet? (As we have for posts here?) I want to add snips of text or pics, but not sure what they'll look like!
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Don't worry about Twitter question...held my breath and just went for it!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not going to say I confidently predicted the turn the polls seem to have taken, but it doesn't totally surprise me either.

The idea that the Tories losing a fairly safe seat to UKIP would help them in the polls was always one of the MSM's more fanciful concepts.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

I find the phrase ' collapse in Tory vote' remarkably comforting :clap:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Another week of these figures and the MSM will have a problem keeping their narratives vaguely plausible to the electorate. If it highlights how partisan the media are that's a bonus.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Another week of these figures and the MSM will have a problem keeping their narratives vaguely plausible to the electorate. If it highlights how partisan the media are that's a bonus.
I suspect the 'Vote UKUP Get Labour' narrative will come back to the fore.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

adam wrote:

I suspect the 'Vote UKUP Get Labour' narrative will come back to the fore.
I do get the feeling no-one is particularly interested in the narrative - they've done everything they can to nobble Mr Ed and it isn't working - the shock with which they report that people won't necessarily vote according to 'personality' but 'policy' should send a cold shiver down the spine of the CrosbyCoulson worldview :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well, the "personality" thing *might* work better if their own man was more appealing.

In reality, most of those who "back" Cameron seem to do so as "the best of a bad bunch" - very few are *genuinely* enthusiastic about him.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mehdi Hasan ‏@mehdirhasan 21s21 seconds ago
Am late to this, but Tony Blair won a humanitarian award from Save the Children. WTF? You can't make this stuff up.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 73596.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Re. Greens -

The Green Party are hosting a public meeting in Witney (ooooooer!) on the subject of deaths/suicides of people on benefits.
Correction - not on benefits as they got stopped.

The speakers include the sisters of David Clapson and Mark Wood.

I asked Natalie Bennett on Twitter yesterday if the convenors of this meeting could record it or provide transcripts of the event, as there is a lot of interest in it and I doubt there will be room for all who would like to attend.

She replied very quickly, and said she would ask for me.
I am impressed by that - the only Labour MPs who have ever responded to a direct question from me are Ian Lavery and John McDonnell.

I have asked Reeves and Green direct questions by the dozen and not once have they responded - yes, I know they're busy, but if they want to engage with voters, it does their prospects no good if they ignore them in the one accessible forum they've got, because emails are never ever replied to in my experience. Even if it's only a SPAD acknowledging a question, it'd be something.
Good-morning, my friend - please know you're always in my thoughts - you mentioned recently you're in more pain than usual - physical or soul-oppression or both - if this is so, please hold my hand & let me help you if I'm able to do so. If I'm mistaken & you're fine - hold my hand & let me help you or you may want to help me.

We are members of the electorate. We need to know how to send our elected friends important information. Sometimes we need to communicate a specific difficulty or explain an idea with potential making this country a better place for all the people to live in.

I've learned from you, Ephemerid, the power words have to communicate distress & great ideas. We all have the power to respectfully & doggedly communicate our difficulties & great ideas to our elected representatives. Be not dismayed with silence, automatic e-mail responses telling us not a great deal, cajolery, or inaction. Mindful communication is never wasted.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

They are sticking doggedly to their narrative which is why, as I suggested last night, so many of them are trying to dismiss the hashtag campaigns; these campaigns have done exactly what you say, highlighted how out of step they are, how partisan they are.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

To: Board
Report by: Jason Dorsett, Finance, Reporting & Risk Director Yin Shi, Head of Sector Reporting
Report on: Quarterly report on the performance of the NHS foundation trust sector: 6 months ended 30 September 2014
26 November 2014

Summary
1. The attached paper sets out our findings from a review of the Q2 2014/15 performance of all 147 NHS foundation trusts (FTs).

Overview
2. NHS foundation trusts (FTs) continue to experience significant financial and operational pressures. This has led to a further deterioration in the overall FT sector performance in Q2 2014/15:

 The sustained high number of patients attending A&E and in particular being admitted for inpatient treatment, coupled with a focus on clearing the waiting list backlog, hit trusts’ operational performance during Q2. FTs have continued to underperform against a number of key operational targets during the quarter, including A&E 4-hour waits, the 18-week waiting time target for admitted patients, and the cancer 62-day waits target.

 The FT sector’s overall financial performance also deteriorated further with a net deficit of £254m at Q2, which was £195m behind plan. This further decline was largely the result of FTs’ heavy reliance on contract and agency staff while under- delivering against their cost improvement plans. In addition, a shortfall in expected large donations also further worsened the financial position of the FT sector. Based on the current performance, the FT sector is forecasting a year-end net deficit of £271m.

The detailed analysis is in the annex to this paper.
My emphasis

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _Board.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"So, perhaps once you have followed me on Twitter, @MaxJFreeman, and RT’d this piece or shared it on FB, you might find the time, to tweet James Harding, @Hardingthehack , and ask him how many times, and for how many hours, a piece of news has to trend, before our wonderful and unbiased BBC, consider it newsworthy. I’d be really interested in any reply you receive."

http://maxjfreeman.com/2014/11/25/bbc-f ... tag-trend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Regardless of the outcome attempting to keep MPs aware of their first duty & bound by their own Code of Conduct, with a clear conscience we can say after we've politely, firmly declined to down the garden implements:

"Look here, at the words from the Parliamentary website - this is your duty, this is your work. We did our best, we tried to tell you, you can't say you weren't aware of the problems & the great ideas we shared with you. It's time for the May Purification Ritual. We're planting crops in the Village Green."
Everyone has the right to contact their local MP to discuss issues affecting them but there are specific areas they can deal with. MPs will generally only act on behalf of their constituents, so please check you are contacting the MP who represents your constituency.

What your MP can do for you
MPs can assist their constituents in a variety of ways, from making private enquiries on your behalf, to raising matters publicly in the House of Commons.
First steps
Keeping the issue private, your MP might write to the relevant department or official, send a letter to the appropriate Minister or make a personal appointment to discuss the issue. These steps can often go a long way to providing a solution.
Making the issue public
Your MP may decide to make the issue public by raising it in the House of Commons, where it will be officially recorded, and could potentially come to the attention of the press and public.
Outside Parliament
Outside Parliament, and at the discretion of the individual MP, you could request that your MP speak at an event concerning the issue, pledge their support to a campaign or write to the local media on your behalf.
When you should contact someone else first
Some issues are not the direct responsibility of Parliament or government. In these instances, you should first contact either your local council or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau before considering contacting your MP.
When you should contact the government
If, for example, you have a question about government policies on the National Health Service, this should be directed to the government department that deals with that subject - in this case, the Department for Health.
Contacting a government minister
If you wish to contact a specific government minister in connection to their ministerial responsibilities, please use the contact facilities on their departmental website.
The contact details/websites for all government departments are on the webpage I've posted below.

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/c ... t-your-mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 14-15_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Units = thousands of patients
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 11.58.59.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 11.58.59.png (93.47 KiB) Viewed 20449 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What else happens when Tories find their way into government, Paul? It all falls down.

When did it become standard procedure for an NHS Foundation Trust to rely upon DONATIONS, when writing up their budgets, please? Gordon Brown didn't condone that, surely?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Lonewolfie wrote:Don't worry about Twitter question...held my breath and just went for it!
Gruntfuttock?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Morning.
Flippin' freezing here this morning.

Notice Radio 4 isn't wall to wall with 'Tory party crisis' & 'This shows all Tories are out of touch' this morning with a recording made by a taxi driver when he had an altercation about a route with David Mellor.

Mellor pulled rank on the cabbie, calling him a 'stupid, sweaty little shit', told him to 'fuck off'
& "You've been driving a cab for 10 years, I've been in the Cabinet, I'm an award-winning broadcaster, I'm a Queen's Counsel. You think that your experiences are anything compared to mine?"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fo ... or-4689371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30188899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My comment here, Yahyah, is anecdotal, I've not done research. Every right-winger I've known or read about has broken their brain & lost their soul by nurturing right-wing thoughts intentionally excluding all other possibilities. Let's this be a warning - not only incoherent but deeply unpleasant. Book a room in a hotel in London for the end days.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

No idea - it's a 'word' that has lingered around since I first heard it and been use countless times by me when struggling for a real word to describe a curmudgeonly old fart who bores people witless droning on about the whole Thatcher-Ray-guns-Murkydochian con trick and how easily things could be different :)

I've now been 'learning' (and watching) Twitter for far too long and have backed up the rest of my day by about 2 hours - Mrs Wolfie will be distinctly unimpressed!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The shadow education secretary, Tristram Hunt, has said there is a case for Ofsted to be allowed to inspect religious education in faith schools, saying schools may be exacerbating religious and ethnic segregation in English cities.
Tristram's on a roll
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... stram-hunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

I wonder why that is?
(my bold)

WHAT???!

I know I shouted - I can't get my head around this - so, it's Labour's fault for their policy announcements not making it into the news?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
The shadow education secretary, Tristram Hunt, has said there is a case for Ofsted to be allowed to inspect religious education in faith schools, saying schools may be exacerbating religious and ethnic segregation in English cities.
Tristram's on a roll
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... stram-hunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He gets like that - it's how he works. He listened to the Labour party members, leaders & wrote things down. When he didn't have answers he said so. He takes names, does research, responds.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Heh.
Mark Reckless, the new Ukip MP for Rochester and Strood, has just asked a question during health questions in the Commons. It was virtually impossible to hear it because he was being heckled so aggressively by Conservative MPs.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Lonewolfie wrote:No idea - it's a 'word' that has lingered around since I first heard it and been use countless times by me when struggling for a real word to describe a curmudgeonly old fart who bores people witless droning on about the whole Thatcher-Ray-guns-Murkydochian con trick and how easily things could be different :)

I've now been 'learning' (and watching) Twitter for far too long and have backed up the rest of my day by about 2 hours - Mrs Wolfie will be distinctly unimpressed!
Gruntfuttock?

Let me recommend you to any repeats of the Sixties radio comedy show 'Round the Horne', starring Kenneth Horne, and including the great Kenneth Williams amongst its cast. RTH was wriien by Barry Took and Marty Feldman and was a delightfully surreal (if traditional) comedy half hour with a bewildering cast of characters and a depth of filth unheard of at the time. It's best known for Williams and Hugh Paddick as Julian and Sandy, two very OTT and camp gays (in an era when homosexuality was still illegal), and Williams' folk singer Rambling Syd Rumpo.

But Williams also played the muttering J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock (a-ha!), the world's dirtiest dirty old man.

I am delighted at any opportunity to plug a great show that wasn't as dissimilar to the acclaimed 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' as the latter liked to think.
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Funny that immediately following Theresa May's speech on the ever increasing threat of terrorism, the Government publishes a report on how to buy insurance to cover your business against the threat!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_cost.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a truly bizarre read!
Of all the risks that can impact upon your business, terrorism can be particularly damaging
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:@Tizme

Will you be contacting the Green convert blogger about his misinformation about Labour's youth policy ? If people are deliberately/accidentally portraying Labour's policies or comments wrongly, no wonder so many Greens come across as so angrily anti-Labour.
I respectfully second this - I can't see into the hearts & minds of others - I know my own. The Green & Labour parties seem natural allies. Regardless, cooperative effort, genuine goodwill is healthy ground making. Green party MP Caroline Lucas is an inspiration to me personally.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

mbc1955 wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:No idea - it's a 'word' that has lingered around since I first heard it and been use countless times by me when struggling for a real word to describe a curmudgeonly old fart who bores people witless droning on about the whole Thatcher-Ray-guns-Murkydochian con trick and how easily things could be different :)

Gruntfuttock?

Let me recommend you to any repeats of the Sixties radio comedy show 'Round the Horne', starring Kenneth Horne, and including the great Kenneth Williams amongst its cast. RTH was wriien by Barry Took and Marty Feldman and was a delightfully surreal (if traditional) comedy half hour with a bewildering cast of characters and a depth of filth unheard of at the time. It's best known for Williams and Hugh Paddick as Julian and Sandy, two very OTT and camp gays (in an era when homosexuality was still illegal), and Williams' folk singer Rambling Syd Rumpo.

But Williams also played the muttering J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock (a-ha!), the world's dirtiest dirty old man.

I am delighted at any opportunity to plug a great show that wasn't as dissimilar to the acclaimed 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' as the latter liked to think.
I was simply admiring Lonewolfie's usage of the word on his Twitter profile. Massive fan of Round The Horne and Beyond Our Ken (less so of Stop Messing About, his absence is keenly felt); even now when you listen to it some of the jokes sail close to the wind, so how did they get away with them back in the 60s? And, yes, I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue (I assume that was what you meant) owes it a great debt.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:Morning.
What a lovely,cold,frosty start to the day.Had a beautiful walk with the dogs and have even put the heating on for an hour for the first time this morning.
Thanks for the pan haggerty recipe Lady C,I have a very skinny vegetarian friend who loves spuds so I shall cook it for her next time she comes for lunch.
My car is going for its mot tomorrow,does anyone else dread this yearly torture or is it just me?I even have it done early to get it over with.I can't think of anything worse,it is cruel and unusual.
What would it take for you to feel comfortable contemplating with equanimity giving up your car? Let your imagination soar.

I don't own a car & I know it's near impossible for others to do the same given the public transportation system as it is now. I'm not able to apply for some care working gigs because I don't own a car.

Please know I'm posting this without judgement, without an agenda beyond what I've asked.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

Gruntfuttock?

I was simply admiring Lonewolfie's usage of the word on his Twitter profile. Massive fan of Round The Horne and Beyond Our Ken (less so of Stop Messing About, his absence is keenly felt); even now when you listen to it some of the jokes sail close to the wind, so how did they get away with them back in the 60s? And, yes, I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue (I assume that was what you meant) owes it a great debt.
Actually no. It's only a few years ago that I learned that 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' grew out of the demise of 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again', and given our similar age and your knowledge of RTH, I'd be very surprised if you didn't know of ISIRTA.

It was a great radio comedy sketch show that grew out of Cambridge's Footlights and the show that went to the West End as 'Cambridge Circus', in the wake of 'Beyond the Fringe'. It starred Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graeme Garden, David Hatch, Jo Kendall and Bill Oddie, and it's a still great collection of surreality, silliness and some of the most atrocious puns you've ever heard.

One of my favourite sketches was the performance of Brer Rabbit interrupted by Animal Equity demanding parity for its less popular members so that the story became Brer Bandicoot, and you simply have to hear John Cleese and the Lovin' Pruneful singing the Ferret Song!

Here it is: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The truth ferret speaks!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I think I need to make an opticians appointment.

This morning I read Hunt's speech regarding public schools and their charity status. It seemed a reasonable step in the right direction. However venturing BTL and reading the numerous comments at the G for example, it would appear that what Hunt's speech had really said was a call to arms in the class war, that the politics of envy is stirring up unnecessary hatred towards those born to rule.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

citizenJA wrote:
Rebecca wrote:Morning.
What would it take for you to feel comfortable contemplating with equanimity giving up your car? Let your imagination soar.

I don't own a car & I know it's near impossible for others to do the same given the public transportation system as it is now. I'm not able to apply for some care working gigs because I don't own a car.

Please know I'm posting this without judgement, without an agenda beyond what I've asked.
It would take my daughter being reliably able to use public transport,by which I mean agreeing to get into a bus or train,then when in not having a meltdown if a child laughs/cries/shouts or she hears another sudden noise.Or punching the driver.She isn't and i drive her around.Having said that my mileage is under 3000 a year and I feel no guilt about being a motorist at all.